Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Xenoid posted:

I live in BC Canada and I have to wait 3 months for a psychiatrist referral. Is there a point in paying for an hour with some psychologist in the meantime? I have always felt (as I did when I got the referral) that doctors just wave me away over anything so I'm unsure. For example I have a hernia (according to a MD) and after a body scan I was simply told it was not a hernia. What was it? No idea but you have to make another appointment to find out. Find out how? There's nothing on the chart!

Anyway I know the danger in a self-diagnosis but this thread is like reading what I deal with every day. Or rather, fail to deal with and it's not doing myself any favours. It takes me a month to do something that actually takes me an hour (taking the wheels off my motorcycle). Tasks have always been insurmountable, a thousand things going at once (all unfinished), memory issues (been tested for this), motivation, procrastination, indecisive, I can't sit and play any game I enjoy because I will get bored with it in 5 minutes/forget about it and do something else. When I looked up symptoms to write down to talk to the doctor I ended up writing out an entire list.

I really had to type that out because I've never said it to anyone before and it somehow feels better..

The annoying thing with being Canadian and having ADHD is that Canada made Adderall illegal. When I visited relatives in Canada I had a letter from my psychiatrist kept near my pills to prove that I hadn't bought them in Canada and that I was an American who was being prescribed them. Pain in the rear end.

Definitely go to a psychologist. At the very least they'll help you with coping with feeling frustrated with your ADHD and will have some great things to incorporate into your life that will help you decide whether you're doing something due to your ADHD, or because you actually want to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I wrote up a long rant about the stupid bullshit people pulled on me, but I realized it was just a 'poor me' post and am working on staying positive. Gist of it is that I had plans as of 2 weeks ago to stay at a friend's place while getting out of LA for a few days. Was explicitly stated that we were going to hang out, but when I talked to her tonight about it she brought up that other friends had just told her they'd be staying at her place. Um. She didn't ask me or anything, and got really indignant when she asked me if she should cancel. Yes you should loving cancel, I don't want to have to be around people I don't know to hang out with you, and then have to sleep in the same room as them, but worst of all, you didn't even ask me!

Then my sister, who is starting college in the same city, didn't know what her schedule was like this weekend, even though she's had two loving weeks to figure it out and tell me. So when I ask her if she's available tomorrow night when I get in after driving 6 hours, she's like "ionno" and then tries to lie to me, like she didn't gently caress up, about her availability. I don't want a loving excuse, I just want you to tell me "yeah I hosed up but I promise to tell you as soon as I figure it out." I bring this up because I'm finally starting to understand this. I thought for years I had to explain why I was a few minutes late to poo poo, or why I couldn't do my homework. Just be frank and don't make promises you can't follow through on trying to make things better, should you need to remedy the situation.

Anyway.

Jesus loving christ, I was so loving furious, and I was about ready to not go at all. Then I started looking at motel rooms, because I thought it was going to cost me $150-200 to stay the weekend, and it's not that bad. I'd have to get a kind of lovely room, but that's good reason to not sit around the room the entire time.

The reason I was furious is I have been busting my rear end all week to get ready for this trip, and have been working 10-12 hour days on top of running errands whenever possible (lunches, after work, before work) just so I could leave friday at 2pm and try to avoid most of the traffic getting out of LA. On top of that I started 30mg adderall 2x a day this week, because 20mg was just making me sleepy, and I've been getting used to it but for the most part it adds a pretty hardcore 'frazzled' feeling. It's getting better, but there were a couple of days, namely yesterday, where I was just on edge all loving day trying to stay calm while my coworkers bickered and yelled over the stupidest poo poo.

Just pissed me off that I put so much effort into the whole thing, and for once am well prepared in advanced, and the people who have to put in the absolute minimum to pull this whole thing together just act like they don't give a poo poo. In the case of my friend, she didn't even have to do anything. In fact she just had to do nothing and wait for me to show up, but she hosed that up!

Then I realized, oh hey, I used to do poo poo like that too. Then I thought, gently caress it, I rely on having friends to go do poo poo too much, so I'm going in spite of this bullshit, and I will have a good loving time in spite of their complete selfishness and inconsideration for others. Even if I do not see my sister a single time, I don't care. I'm getting the gently caress out of LA because gently caress this city.

Edit: Welp, looks like Kayak lowballed me rooms hardcore, and most of the places don't even have rooms available that are within reasonable price. Thanks flakey bitch for loving over my weekend.

TheGopher fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 17, 2010

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Effexxor posted:

The annoying thing with being Canadian and having ADHD is that Canada made Adderall illegal. When I visited relatives in Canada I had a letter from my psychiatrist kept near my pills to prove that I hadn't bought them in Canada and that I was an American who was being prescribed them. Pain in the rear end.

Adderall isn't illegal in Canada at all. I'm taking it, and buy it just fine.

Anyway, this is kinda nasty, but does Adderall make anybody else poo poo hardcore? I get the worst shits imaginable, it feels like I'm being squeezed like a tube of toothpaste. Other than that the stuff is great.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah. But I enjoy the shits immensely! You have to savor the little things in life :)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I have a sissy little baby stomach that gets upset at the smallest things, mostly due to lactose intolerance, but anything the least bit greasy, fatty, or dairy-related has me pissing out of my rear end for hours. Generally, strong medication (like antibiotics) tear me up if I take them with food or not.

Oddly, though, my digestive system has had no ill effects from the Adderall. It's actually even been a lot better since I started taking it.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a sissy little baby stomach that gets upset at the smallest things, mostly due to lactose intolerance, but anything the least bit greasy, fatty, or dairy-related has me pissing out of my rear end for hours. Generally, strong medication (like antibiotics) tear me up if I take them with food or not.

Oddly, though, my digestive system has had no ill effects from the Adderall. It's actually even been a lot better since I started taking it.

Do you work out at all? When I was in basic training for a while, the constant working out made my digestive system feel AWESOME. Now that I'm starting again, I feel super great. Sure, I still have moments where I wonder when the hell I ate red peppers after I go to the washroom but otherwise it's all good.

Also adderall is not illegal in Canada what the gently caress hahah. That sounds like one of those lovely "UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE DEATH PANELS" that the media sometimes pulls when the topic of healthcare gets mentioned in the US. There are very few drugs that are banned, and as long as you have a prescription it's fine. Hell, it usually takes Canada a few years to do their own testing on drugs from the US to deem them safe for the doctors to write prescriptions for (like a few years back there was a big stink about some AIDs type medication that was being delayed)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Actually, yeah, I am, and you may be right. I started lifting weights and dieting pretty heavily a few years ago and my stomach problems cleared right up but I was also earring an extremely bland diet. I stopped lifting and started eating poorly and reverted back to my old eating habits.

I'm taking a weight training course this semester (required physical credit), and that and Adderall have got me eating a lot less (but nothing really different, just less) and I haven't even had so much as gas in almost 2 weeks.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I found that eating yogurt for a few days or so to be helpful whenever my guts felt like they were being chewed up by whatever. If you do this, however, make sure you actually get the yogurt with the live, active cultures.

And this week's Fun with ADHD? Hiking poles! I've found myself walking around so much lately, both for transportation and also as a way to settle the brain, that I invested in a pair of good quality tripod hiking sticks, with ergonomic handles and Nordic Walking tips. I love them already, and they are really helping with both my stamina and my balance. And if I want to, you know, actually go hiking on a trail with them, I have a small forest literally in my backyard.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 18, 2010

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Adderall isn't illegal in Canada at all. I'm taking it, and buy it just fine.

Damnit Dad. I hate it when I found out that the thing my Dad always told me were wrong. I'll give him credit though, it's rare. And it's not a universal health care mania thing, he's definitely single payer all the way. He just hears things are runs with them, I guess this was on of them.

Anyone have issue with terrible, terrible nausea every once in a while? I'm not sure whether it's my stupid female hormones (not pregnant so thankfully it's not morning sickness) or possibly something to do with the Adderall. It's worse then I'm tired, but man is it annoying.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
adderall was briefly banned by canada a few years ago, then months later they un-banned it. So your dad was kinda right.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've been on Adderall for about four months now, and it's helping so much. I was diagnosed as a kid, and never really got any treatment until now. I'm ADHD co-morbid with ASPD. Anyway I really noticed today that the medication was working. Someone was really rude to me today, and I was just about to blurt out something really loving awful like I usually do. But instead I could actually process what I was about to say and not say it, rather than blurting it out. It was really strange for me.

I just wish I'd had treatment years ago. I'm older now and my life is totally hosed. It's really a struggle for me now, and it's hard to find help. It's also pretty hard to ask for help too.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I WANT DRUGS AGAIN DAMMIT.

It's taking me 4 days to write a simple sample paper on a Software Development Kit for a recruiter I really want to work with. And I'm not talking 4 days of procrastinating and then 1 hour of furiously typing to finish and get my paper off the ground, I'm talking of 4 days of sitting there and staring at a blank screen in OpenOffice and not having a drat thing come to me. I finally was able to get something off the ground, so in celebration of getting at least an outline written, I took and walk and went grocery shopping - because sitting in that seat any longer? That was not going to end well. But this is an employment agency that I really REALLY want to work with, so I'm not going to bed until this is done and emailed in.

I also nearly made a kid cry yesterday at Seattle Fiestas Patrias, a festival celebrating Latino culture. The festival itself? Awesome. The kid who earnestly wanted me to sign a survey literally while I was trying to take a picture of the Space Needle? Not so much. "Do you want to sign X?" "No!" Yeah. :downs:

However, 'Delivered from Distraction' is helping in at least recognizing the behaviors that have plagued me for eons now. When I get back from vacation this week, I'm calling the doc to make another appointment to try yet another awesome version of speed. This is dumb. I want my brain back.

EDIT: I haven't started back up yet, because I found webpages on the history of Suriname and Uruguay, which have been ~fascinating~. Because - Uruguay!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 21, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I would give everybody that posts in this thread a big hug because we all know exactly the bullshit everybody else has to deal with on a daily basis, but the logistics are... difficult. What's actually surprising is when I'm having trouble dealing with bullshit at work or at home, I think about a lot of you guys in here and know that I'm not alone with the daily struggles, and it's very therapeutic. Love ya'll.

On the note of Delivered from Distraction, I started reading off questions from the checklist to a friend who mentioned all her doctors keep telling her she has ADHD, and when I got to the question "Are you chuckling to yourself as you answer these questions?" she started cracking up and I knew. I bought her a copy of the book and it should get delivered this week, let's just hope that I can do some vicarious living and change somebody else's life for the better.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I would like stress just how much the medication is changing my life academically, professionally, and emotionally.

If you were to look at the grades for every assignment I've ever turned in, from kindergarten to yesterday, I guarantee you that, without knowing anything about me, you could pinpoint exactly the day I got tested. My academic performance has always been subpar, barely squeaking by each year and semester with just passing grades. Hell, even this semester started out rough.

In chronological order, my grades this semester in all classes have been: C, C, C, F, D, F, A, A, A, A, A, A. The feeling I get when I see As and comments recognizing the marked improvement in my grades, behavior, and participation is indescribable. I feel like I'm on top of the world. It always depressed the poo poo out of me that the platinum blonde Hills rejects were getting the grades I deserved.

I got tested just in time, too. I started my first 400 level course and I have to spend every free moment I have all week just to complete the assignments for it, not including the work for my other 4 classes. I do homework from the time I get off work at 6 - midnight every night. Saturday and Sunday I work from 6am - 2 or 3am. There's no way I could have sat and focused and completed my work on this scale before.

I don't forget little things anymore, like taking out the trash, calling someone back, making appointments. Well, I did leave a liter bottle of water on the hood of my car as I drove off yesterday, but we all do that.

Anyways, point I'm trying to make is that anyone reading this that is struggling academically or just in their personal lives, and feels they may suffer from ADHD should definitely get tested. Now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The sooner you get tested, the sooner you can begin working on your problems. You'll be so much happier you did.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, point I'm trying to make is that anyone reading this that is struggling academically or just in their personal lives, and feels they may suffer from ADHD should definitely get tested. Now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The sooner you get tested, the sooner you can begin working on your problems. You'll be so much happier you did.

This is exactly how I feel, and what most everybody else has been saying in this thread. The reason we keep saying this over and over is because we felt like we were "broken" for so long. All the pieces were there, we just couldn't keep them together, and at the suggestions of other people we attributed our failures to ourselves personally.

More than anything else that has come as a result of being on medication successfully, is that I feel liberated, like I'm able to take the first real deep breath of my life and be at ease.

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010
:hfive:

I am happy, really truly happy, for the first time in probably fifteen years. I'm only ~2 months into medication and I know there's a large pile of stuff that I need to address that has been hosed up for so long - however now that I know the cause of it all, I'm actively making things better. And it's sticking. Even before the medication, just getting the diagnosis was a HUGE huge huge step - it was incredibly liberating to have my suspicions confirmed.

The doctor commented to me last week that I looked like a whole new person, but I had to adjust her statement. I'm still me, but it's like I'm going through another childhood/adolescence. I'm relearning how to function, how to interact, what makes me tick, and I'm loving it this time around. And even when I do have a "bad" day, it doesn't even begin to approach how lovely I felt before - because now I understand (and have felt consistently) a level of "awesome" that was completely unthinkable before.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

RandomJapaneseGirl posted:

I am happy, really truly happy, for the first time in probably fifteen years. I'm only ~2 months into medication and I know there's a large pile of stuff that I need to address that has been hosed up for so long - however now that I know the cause of it all, I'm actively making things better. And it's sticking. Even before the medication, just getting the diagnosis was a HUGE huge huge step - it was incredibly liberating to have my suspicions confirmed.

The doctor commented to me last week that I looked like a whole new person, but I had to adjust her statement. I'm still me, but it's like I'm going through another childhood/adolescence. I'm relearning how to function, how to interact, what makes me tick, and I'm loving it this time around. And even when I do have a "bad" day, it doesn't even begin to approach how lovely I felt before - because now I understand (and have felt consistently) a level of "awesome" that was completely unthinkable before.

This is exactly what it's like for me. When I had a bad day, it would ruin my week. When I had a bad week, well you get the picture. It's funny you bring up a second childhood/adolescence, because I was just thinking last night that since I started taking medication and dealing with my ADHD it's been like my "real" passage into adulthood. I mean, before I was able to be an adult, but now I feel like I can take things more seriously, and as a result other people take me more seriously. I too feel consistently "awesome" and don't need to just fake not feeling like poo poo for other people everyday.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I've only been able to read a few pages of this thread here and there, so forgive me if this was covered before.

I have ADD something fierce. I was diagnosed in '92, before ADD became popular and over-diagnosed. I've been on Ritalin, Adderall, and Concerta which have either mildly helped or were ineffective. It's been ~7 years since I've been on any medication. Now, with blood pressure problems, drugs are too much of a risk. Are there any habits, exercises, or something that can help me?

My mind needs constant stimulation. Sometimes visual (from reading internet forums, news websites, video games), physical (fidgeting with bottle caps, throwing tennis balls), and mental (replaying songs in my head, daydreaming). It only stops when I go to bed. I've developed poor habits over the years. Can't concentrate listening to anybody like my wife, kids, family, boss, etc (or remember a conversation just minutes afterward). I only know enough to get by, which over the past couple of years, isn't cutting it anymore. Things that don't contain a stimulation overload don't hold my attention worth poo poo. Over the past several years, those things became conversations with people, job duties, stuff that going on with my family.

Please help!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

TheGopher posted:

This is exactly how I feel, and what most everybody else has been saying in this thread. The reason we keep saying this over and over is because we felt like we were "broken" for so long. All the pieces were there, we just couldn't keep them together, and at the suggestions of other people we attributed our failures to ourselves personally.

More than anything else that has come as a result of being on medication successfully, is that I feel liberated, like I'm able to take the first real deep breath of my life and be at ease.

Hell, even not having medication work is still a success, when you have a solid diagnosis. I can look at all the weird behaviors that I engage in, and I know that it's the ADHD. I'm not horribly broken, I'm not really a social leper, and I do have worth and value as a person, and I do really good things. I also do stupid-rear end things as well, and while it's tempting to blame it all on the disorder, I feel it's a bit of a copout. However, I can recognize that the ADHD (and its assorted weirdness) influence my behaviors, sometimes negatively. It all helps to dampen the internal and external "YOU'RE A FAILURE" talk that is ever-present at times.

Oh, and I finally finished my paper - at 1am :). Today, I turned it in. Massive relief.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

volts5000 posted:

I've only been able to read a few pages of this thread here and there, so forgive me if this was covered before.

I have ADD something fierce. I was diagnosed in '92, before ADD became popular and over-diagnosed. I've been on Ritalin, Adderall, and Concerta which have either mildly helped or were ineffective. It's been ~7 years since I've been on any medication. Now, with blood pressure problems, drugs are too much of a risk. Are there any habits, exercises, or something that can help me?

My mind needs constant stimulation. Sometimes visual (from reading internet forums, news websites, video games), physical (fidgeting with bottle caps, throwing tennis balls), and mental (replaying songs in my head, daydreaming). It only stops when I go to bed. I've developed poor habits over the years. Can't concentrate listening to anybody like my wife, kids, family, boss, etc (or remember a conversation just minutes afterward). I only know enough to get by, which over the past couple of years, isn't cutting it anymore. Things that don't contain a stimulation overload don't hold my attention worth poo poo. Over the past several years, those things became conversations with people, job duties, stuff that going on with my family.

Please help!

First, get Delivered from Distraction. Seriously, that author should start paying us for all of the recommendations we make for it. Basically, D from D teaches you how to look at your actions and how to deal with them. Also, it's great about showing how to make your life into a place where your ADHD helps you to succeed, instead of getting bogged down in things that just aren't right for the disease.

Second go to a cognitive behavioral therapist. Cognitive behavioral therapy works beautifully with ADHD. D from D was written from that kind of mindset, but the whole idea behind it is being able to see what you're doing wrong, why you're doing it and how to deal with it. It'll help to put the breaks on those impulsive moments and help you to deal with feelings of worthlessness.

Third, exercise. A lot. My brother self medicated for years with swimming and boy could you ever tell when he took a month off because he was insane. Do yoga, work out at a gym, go for a run, spend 10 minutes running up and down your stairs, whatever wipes you out is good. You're all pent up right now and you need to get it out. Also, exercise releases endorphins which should help your mood.

Have you talked to a doctor about this? Medication has really expanded and there may be options that could still work.

On the other hand... I love my boyfriend more than I can say. The ADHD makes it hard. I blurt out all of these stupid things I shouldn't say. He loves my outspokenness (I got lucky, what can I say) but man, does it still make me feel bad when I have verbal diarrhea. Any advice?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I have to second the exercise. Even if you can take a walk, go take that walk. It's worth it. Exercise like this is free, and there's so many health benefits to it aside from just the placating the ADHD mind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A couple more potentially interesting news briefs:

Queen's University researchers locate impulse control center in brain

quote:

Impulsive behaviour can be improved with training and the improvement is marked by specific brain changes, according to a new Queen's University study.

A research team led by neuroscience PhD student Scott Hayton has pinpointed the area of the brain that controls impulsive behavior and the mechanisms that affect how impulsive behavior is learned. The findings could have a significant impact on the diagnosis and treatment of several disorders and addictions, including ADHD and alcoholism.

"In the classroom, kids often blurt out answers before they raise their hand. With time, they learn to hold their tongue and put up their hand until the teacher calls them. We wanted to know how this type of learning occurs in the brain," says Mr. Hayton, a PhD student at the Centre for Neuroscience Studies at Queen's. "Our research basically told us where the memory for this type of inhibition is in the brain, and how it is encoded."

The team trained rats to control impulsive responses until a signal was presented. Electrical signals between cells in the brain's frontal lobe grew stronger as they learned to control their impulses. This showed that impulsivity is represented, in a specific brain region, by a change in communication between neurons.

Impulsivity is often thought of as a personality trait, something that makes one person different from another.

Children who have difficulty learning to control a response often have behavioral problems which continue into adulthood, says Professor Cella Olmstead, the principal investigator on the study. She notes that impulsivity is a primary feature of many disorders including addiction, ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder and gambling. Identifying the brain region and mechanism that controls impulsivity is a critical step in the diagnosis and treatment of these conditions.

"In conditions where learning does not occur properly, it is possible that it is this mechanism that has been impaired," adds co-investigator neuroscience Professor Eric Dumont.

Inner voice plays role in self-control

quote:

Talking to yourself might not be a bad thing, especially when it comes to exercising self control.

New research out of the University of Toronto Scarborough – published in this month's edition of Acta Psychologica – shows that using your inner voice plays an important role in controlling impulsive behaviour.

"We give ourselves messages all the time with the intent of controlling ourselves – whether that's telling ourselves to keep running when we're tired, to stop eating even though we want one more slice of cake, or to refrain from blowing up on someone in an argument," says Alexa Tullett, PhD Candidate and lead author on the study. "We wanted to find out whether talking to ourselves in this 'inner voice' actually helps."

Tullett and Associate Psychology Professor Michael Inzlicht, both at UTSC, performed a series of self control tests on participants. In one example, participants performed a test on a computer. If they saw a particular symbol appear on the screen, they were told to press a button. If they saw a different symbol, they were told to refrain from pushing the button. The test measures self control because there are more "press" than "don't press" trials, making pressing the button an impulsive response.

The team then included measures to block participants from using their "inner voice" while performing the test, to see if it had an impact on their ability to perform. In order to block their "inner voice," participants were told to repeat one word over and over as they performed the test. This prevented them from talking to themselves while doing the test.

"Through a series of tests, we found that people acted more impulsively when they couldn't use their inner voice or talk themselves through the tasks," says Inzlicht. "Without being able to verbalize messages to themselves, they were not able to exercise the same amount of self control as when they could talk themselves through the process."

"It's always been known that people have internal dialogues with themselves, but until now, we've never known what an important function they serve," says Tullett. "This study shows that talking to ourselves in this 'inner voice' actually helps us exercise self control and prevents us from making impulsive decisions."

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

I'll have to give that a read. It's been a long time since I sat down a read a book.

Any exercises you would recommend besides walking? My job already consists of a lot of walking and climbing stairs. Not that it's not a valid suggestion, I'm just looking for ideas. I don't have much money to join a gym, so free is better.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

volts5000 posted:

I'll have to give that a read. It's been a long time since I sat down a read a book.

Any exercises you would recommend besides walking? My job already consists of a lot of walking and climbing stairs. Not that it's not a valid suggestion, I'm just looking for ideas. I don't have much money to join a gym, so free is better.

I'd suggest jogging, hiking, and/or biking, but you might have to spend a little $$ to get the appropriate equipment, if you don't have it already. There's also swimming, if your city has a public pool it shouldn't cost that much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Uruguay!

This is going to be my new expletive for when I catch myself doing poo poo like that.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

This is going to be my new expletive for when I catch myself doing poo poo like that.

Uruguay - the new Belgium.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Probably the most awful thing in a while happened to me a few days ago.

My friend was driving me to my house after school, and I had just had a pre-evaluation about ADHD/ADD (the school psych signed me up to an official testing, about 2 weeks from now).
So I was gonna tell to my friend what the doc said and such, and suddenly it felt like someone scrambled my brain up. I knew what I had to say, I was all ready to speak, but my mind couldn't concetrate enough to actually say what happened. I stammered, went "Uhh" and "Hold on" and really tried to concentrate on what happened; nada. The episode lasted for about half a minute, and I was starting to freak out a bit. I honestly could not focus enough on what I had to say to actually say it.

It happened later that day when I talked with my dad. I tried to tell my dad about what the picture on my lovely TV looks like, but I couldn't even begin to describe what it looked like. It took a lot of time before my concentration came back and I could instantly tell that the image looked fuzzy.

Problem is, I've been having episodes like this for a while now (I muddle up words or speak before I've really thought about what to say), but it hasn't ever been this bad.

Seriously scary.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 22, 2010

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Kikka posted:

My friend was driving me to my house after school, and I had just had a pre-evaluation about ADHD/ADD (the school psych signed me up to an official testing, about 2 weeks from now).
So I was gonna tell to my friend what the doc said and such, and suddenly it felt like someone scrambled my brain up. I knew what I had to say, I was all ready to speak, but my mind couldn't concetrate enough to actually say what happened. I stammered, went "Uhh" and "Hold on" and really tried to concentrate on what happened; nada. The episode lasted for about half a minute, and I was starting to freak out a bit. I honestly could not focus enough on what I had to say to actually say it.

It happened later that day when I talked with my dad. I tried to tell my dad about what the picture on my lovely TV looks like, but I couldn't even begin to describe what it looked like. It took a lot of time before my concentration came back and I could instantly tell that the image looked fuzzy.

Problem is, I've been having episodes like this for a while now (I muddle up words or speak before I've really thought about what to say), but it hasn't ever been this bad.

Seriously scary.

It's really bad when you're asked to relay information to another person. You end up trying to convey the gist of the message instead of the words, confabulating parts, or just straight-up bullshitting parts of it.

The worst part comes when you relay the message from person A to person B and then tell person A what person B said. Sometimes, you can't, for the life of you, remember everything person B said and end up giving person A an incomplete picture. Sometimes, you tell person A everything person B said, only to find out you didn't ask person B all the questions person A wanted you to ask.

It's very embarrassing.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Kikka posted:

Seriously scary.

Could you have epilepsy? Go to a real doctor, not the school psychiatrist. Epilepsy is often mixed up with ADHD, and your mind just completely blanking out that bad doesn't sound like normal ADHD.

Volts5000, the book is written specifically for ADHD. It's super easy to read, because both of the authors have ADHD and 'get it'. It has a lot of small chapters so that you can skip back in forth through the book for whatever is interesting to you, without being completely lost. Go to your library and check it out, it is seriously the best thing you can do right now.

Do you have a dog or access to one? I go on hour long hikes with my dog (In Nebraska so it's probably not 'real' hiking) and I literally just go until my dog tires out, no matter how tired I get. It helps to not only push you to go farther, but also to have a reason to do it. Also, there are several ways to work out with buying expensive machines. My brother is really into working out with things found around the house and a 45 lb bag of rice or dog food is great. Look up how to properly do squats and lifts and do them in quick repetitions, and you have a solid workout.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Me and my wife have been involved in this marketing event, so there hasn't been much time for reading. The event is going to finish up Saturday night, so I'm looking to get the book this weekend.

Saw the doctor today for something unrelated. While I was there, I read about Tenex. I saw that it was a blood pressure med that was also found useful in treating ADD. I'm figuring I can kill two birds with one stone! Anybody have experience with Tenex?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Wow! Everybody lost interest in the ADD thread. How appropriate. :)

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

volts5000 posted:

Wow! Everybody lost interest in the ADD thread. How appropriate. :)

I was going to make this post yesterday but then, you know, something else came up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Another ADHD-related study:

quote:

Study finds first direct evidence that ADHD is a genetic disorder
Children with ADHD have more missing or duplicated segments of DNA

Research published today provides the first direct evidence that attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a genetic condition. Scientists at Cardiff University found that children with ADHD were more likely to have small segments of their DNA duplicated or missing than other children.

The study also found significant overlap between these segments, known as copy number variants (CNVs), and genetic variants implicated in autism and schizophrenia, proving strong evidence that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder – in other words, that the brains of children with the disorder differ from those of other children.

The research, published today in the journal The Lancet, was largely funded by the Wellcome Trust, with additional support from Action Medical Research, the Medical Research Council and the European Union.

"We hope that these findings will help overcome the stigma associated with ADHD," says Professor Anita Thapar. "Too often, people dismiss ADHD as being down to bad parenting or poor diet. As a clinician, it was clear to me that this was unlikely to be the case. Now we can say with confidence that ADHD is a genetic disease and that the brains of children with this condition develop differently to those of other children."

ADHD is one of the most common mental health disorders in childhood, affecting around one in 50 children in the UK. Children with ADHD are excessively restless, impulsive and distractible, and experience difficulties at home and in school. Although no cure exists for the condition, symptoms can be reduced by a combination of medication and behavioural therapy.

The condition is highly heritable – children with ADHD are statistically more likely to also have a parent with the condition and a child with an identical twin with ADHD has a three in four chance of also having the condition. Even so, until now there has been no direct evidence that the condition is genetic and there has been much controversy surrounding its causes, which some people have put down to poor parenting skills or a sugar-rich diet.

The team at Cardiff University analysed the genomes of 366 children, all of whom had been given a clinical diagnosis of ADHD, against over 1,000 control samples in search of variations in their genetic make-up that were more common in children with the condition.

"Children with ADHD have a significantly higher rate of missing or duplicated DNA segments compared to other children and we have seen a clear genetic link between these segments and other brain disorders," explains Dr Nigel Williams. "These findings give us tantalising clues to the changes that can lead to ADHD."

The researchers found that rare CNVs were almost twice as common in children with ADHD compared to the control sample – and even higher for children with learning difficulties. CNVs are particularly common in disorders of the brain.

There was also significant overlap between CNVs identified in children with ADHD and regions of the genome which are known to influence susceptibility to autism and schizophrenia. Whilst these disorders are currently thought to be entirely separate, there is some overlap between ADHD and autism in terms of symptoms and learning difficulties. This new research suggests there may be a shared biological basis to the two conditions.

The most significant overlap was found at a particular region on chromosome 16 which has been previously implicated in schizophrenia and other major psychiatric disorders and spans a number of genes including one known to play a role in the development of the brain .

"ADHD is not caused by a single genetic change, but is likely caused by a number of genetic changes, including CNVs, interacting with a child's environment," explains Dr Kate Langley. "Screening children for the CNVs that we have identified will not help diagnose their condition. We already have very rigorous clinical assessments to do just that."

Dr John Williams, Head of Neuroscience and Mental Health at the Wellcome Trust, which has supported Professor Thapar's work for ten years, says: "These findings are testament to the perseverance of Professor Thapar and colleagues to prove the often unfashionable theory that ADHD is a brain disorder with genetic links. Using leading-edge technology, they have begun to shed light on the causes of what is a complex and often distressing disorder for both the children and their families."

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

ultrafilter posted:

Another ADHD-related study:

loving FINALLY. I am so sick and tired of hearing all these drat lectures about food sciences, which I'm so interested in, and they bust out the gem of "ASPARTAME/FOOD COLOURING/FOOD CAUSES ADD!!!!"

This gives me hope that maybe we move away from this lovely blame game and just start figuring out how to live with this.

Also had to start effexor lately. One day in, don't feel much differently but eh.

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks so much for that link. I'm "coming out" to my family this weekend - and despite all the research I've done and information I've put together, I highly suspect that a few of them will be reluctant to accept what I have to say, if not downright oppositional. This will be the icing on my "read this, goddamnit" cake.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Thanks so much for that link. I'm "coming out" to my family this weekend - and despite all the research I've done and information I've put together, I highly suspect that a few of them will be reluctant to accept what I have to say, if not downright oppositional. This will be the icing on my "read this, goddamnit" cake.

Pretty typical ADHD to be so opposed to having it. As far as most people who suffer with ADHD understand, most poo poo is really difficult to do but you just learn to struggle through it anyway. So when they hear somebody is having difficulties with attention, what they're really thinking, "Well I have attention issues too, just like everybody else and I don't have ADHD!" They're just caught in a bad spot, especially since getting diagnosed with ADHD would mean obviously their only treatment option is to take a drug, speed, which causes so many problems and is destroying america.

You get the idea.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If only I'd had that study a few years back when my calculus 3 professor had the nerve to give me a 20 min lecture about how my eating habits were causing my ADHD (I had gone to his office hours to get help on homework).

Some people :arghfist:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Good luck =/ I hope you have more initial support than I did... But you know, after I stormed out of the room and left my brothers house because of their reaction, they all have called me apologized, and asked how they could help...

Now of course I still haven't done poo poo about it, and haven't called any psychiatrist, or even my doctor to see if I could try out some medication or be 'tested' again since the loving school that gave me the Connor's test can't find my results..

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

fyallm posted:

Good luck =/ I hope you have more initial support than I did... But you know, after I stormed out of the room and left my brothers house because of their reaction, they all have called me apologized, and asked how they could help...

Now of course I still haven't done poo poo about it, and haven't called any psychiatrist, or even my doctor to see if I could try out some medication or be 'tested' again since the loving school that gave me the Connor's test can't find my results..

Oooh, an update about how you're doing. That's great that they called you and apologized, that's an awesome sign. But hey. You know you haven't called a psychiatrist. You know that it's your ADHD making you get distracted and/or anxious about doing it. Schedule a time to call, and make yourself do it. You won't feel better till you do this, so take that first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

cloudstrife2993 posted:

If only I'd had that study a few years back when my calculus 3 professor had the nerve to give me a 20 min lecture about how my eating habits were causing my ADHD (I had gone to his office hours to get help on homework).

Some people :arghfist:

Had a professor who said that ADHD didn't exist when he was young when the issue came up. I told him they just called it 'minimal brain dysfunction' and lumped us in with the Downs kids and 'Bad Girls' in his youth. He was surprisingly receptive to that explanation and to references of cross-cultural studies of ADHD which were published in credible journals; I was really kinda shocked to see someone who babysat neanderthals come around so fast.

:unsmith: