Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Given how battered that fairing seems to be I'd be SUPER-cautious, but I guess for $260 even if it's a basket case you could part it out and make a profit. I wouldn't touch it without a title though, something THIS cheap just screams stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

Given how battered that fairing seems to be I'd be SUPER-cautious, but I guess for $260 even if it's a basket case you could part it out and make a profit. I wouldn't touch it without a title though, something THIS cheap just screams stolen.

By shifter shaft does he mean selector shaft? Because that could be painful or expensive.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Well, I just finished my MSF a few weeks back and completely caught the bug. Despite waking up at ungodly hours on my weekend it was easily the most fun I've had in months. Absolutely couldn't wait to pick up a ride of my own, so I've been scouring used bike outlets and craigslist like a hawk. Just yesterday I found an unbelievable ad and pulled the trigger on a '93 Honda Shadow VT1100.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/1954051999.html

After I get the registration and insurance sorted out the first stop we take will probably be to a local shop so they can have a look over it. The seller mentioned that it had been sitting for a while so a tune-up / service visit would be a good idea. He also mentioned that the throttle linkage likely will need to be lubed as the throttle will roll on with no qualms but has to be rolled off manually - it won't return to a neutral position at the moment. There's a little bit of surface rust on the light tree that shouldn't be too hard to clean up, and the seat will likely need to be replaced down the road, but despite these little niggling factors I can't wait to put some miles on this thing.

Is there anything else I should be especially vigilant about, or anything further I should mention to the shop I bring it to when they go over it?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

republic posted:

Is there anything else I should be especially vigilant about, or anything further I should mention to the shop I bring it to when they go over it?

Outstanding find. With a Shoei and a jacket? Did he throw in the key to the city too?

The slash cut pipes aren't original, but the AC appears to be. There are different schools of thought about whether changing one stage 1 component necessitates changing another, so it's possible one of the POs monkeyed with the jetting to compensate. They could have done it correctly, incorrectly, or not at all--which can be fine too, as long as it's running acceptably (no excessive backfiring, etc.)

If it's not a Honda shop, at least make sure they have access to the correct service manual or go elsewhere. Know exactly what you're getting up front. Assume the shaft drive gear oil has never been changed. Get a wheel alignment. Check for subtle signs that the bike has been down. New paint, pipes, and de-badging sometimes signify a drop.

Mustang makes a slew of seats for this, so you're covered there if you ever decide to replace it. For now, there are more pressing matters and better places to put your $300.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

republic posted:

After I get the registration and insurance sorted out the first stop we take will probably be to a local shop so they can have a look over it.
Save your money - you've got PLENTY of Denver/Boulder area GoonRiders that'll give it a once over just for the Goon Meet/excuse to go riding. :)

Also, Add yourself to the GoonRides map!

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

republic posted:

I can't wait to put some miles on this thing.

Sup fellow Boulder goon. If you need a riding buddy, I'm around.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1956448048.html

Is this too much bike for a newbie to handle? Also, is that way too many miles?

Tigren fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 17, 2010

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I would talk him down to $800-1000 range based on the miles but it was a bike I had my eye on after I took the MSF having just learned on a Nighthawk 250. I'd say your biggest worry there is the weight

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

That bike (the 99 CB750) will be heavy as mentioned, but it's a pretty decent bike nonetheless.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
So I'm looking now, as I plan on taking the MSF soon, and I'm trying to decide what bike to get. I had an R6 for a while 6 years ago, so for most intents and purposes, it will be like a first timer. I loved the 2004 R6; it was comfortable, could ride all day, and fit me like a glove. However, getting back into it, I really don't want a high strung bike.

I was looking at a KLR, but for the price, I can also look at SV650s, which are growing on me, and Honda 599. I would love to get a 599, but they are more rare, and not sure if they are suitable for a 'first timer'.

I love the color of the SV650, and would snap this up right now if I could. It just looks right.

what do you guys think:
Honda 599 - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1953486311.html
SV650 - http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/1959348620.html

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Flyboy925 posted:

I love the color of the SV650, and would snap this up right now if I could. It just looks right.

what do you guys think:
Honda 599 - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1953486311.html
SV650 - http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/1959348620.html

Haha, strange coincidence, I've been talking to the girl selling that SV650, they have another one in yellow and black that I'm thinking of picking up next week if I can talk her down a little bit. Unfortunately, SV prices in the PNW are a little higher than elsewhere.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

himajinga posted:

Haha, strange coincidence, I've been talking to the girl selling that SV650, they have another one in yellow and black that I'm thinking of picking up next week if I can talk her down a little bit. Unfortunately, SV prices in the PNW are a little higher than elsewhere.

Having moved here from Michigan, I've noticed prices on all forms of transportation are high. Some prices are 3-8k over what the similar vehicle might go for in Mi.

As for that copper color, did they only offer it for one year? I have only seen one other in that color for sale.

Also, let me know how it turns out with yours. I'm sure that this one will be gone before I can get the money for it, but as an example, I think it looks awesome.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1960122613.html

How are these generations of GSX-R 750? Seems like a pretty good deal, I know someone who can do fork seals for cheap if it's a big deal, I asked and the bike has a clean title with current reg.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've ridden one of those, they are fun as poo poo. Seems like a decent deal to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

How are these generations of GSX-R 750? Seems like a pretty good deal, I know someone who can do fork seals for cheap if it's a big deal, I asked and the bike has a clean title with current reg.

One of the greats. The lightest of the old gen 750s, still has the old 750 attitude as well.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

infraboy posted:

Price seems fair for your part of the world. It's a great bike. Fork seals are cheap and you can do that yourself in a parking lot. Check the chrome on the fork though.

It's more than likely it hasn't been properly tuned to that Yoshimura pipe. No big problem, but ask about it.

I'd go for the price asked minus the price of a new rear tire, then settle the deal on price asked minus 50% new rear tire.

Buy it.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 18, 2010

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-motorcycles-for-sale/138862-2003-speed-four-roulette-green.html

Any input on this? The price is pretty good, and this bike is right up my alley (except the green.. but that can be fixed).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Linedance posted:

In short, if you haven't got a full license from where you came from, you have to start from scratch. I only had my Canadian M2 (motorcycle) license when I moved and had to do another road test to get my full "M" endorsement. I had to wait until I was eligible to do so as well. I enquired with the DVLA and they said unless you have a full license, they were very specific about that, it won't transfer to poo poo. But a full license transfers directly across. What I ended up doing was flying home and doing my test, then submitting my full license once I had it.
If you guys are over 21 you can do the Direct Access course which lets you get on an unrestricted bike right after you're done with the learner phase.
One other thing, you have exactly one year from the day you arrive to transfer into the UK system which will mean giving up your previous country's license. If you want to keep your old license in case you plan to move back, you'll probably have to start from scratch in the UK.
check here for more info:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

I know this is a late reply but I forgot I posted it. Cheers for the link, but it's in contradiction with what you said - I filled out their little questionaire and it says our licenses will be valid for 12 months but we can't transfer anything, not even our car licenses... which is annoying. I guess we'll see when we get there. I don't relish taking more practical driving tests.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Any thoughts on this bike? Taking the MSF next weekend and will have my license, but no bike. I've been looking around on Craigslist and this one popped up.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1961245010.html

My main concern is the price -- I feel like $5,000 is too high, but it is difficult to tell since it is tough to do price comparisons on a bike that old.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this your first bike? If so, no. (I don't know vintage Triumph values, so it may be too high, anyway, but there's plenty of reasons not to get that bike as a first.)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JohnnyDangerously posted:

http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-motorcycles-for-sale/138862-2003-speed-four-roulette-green.html

Any input on this? The price is pretty good, and this bike is right up my alley (except the green.. but that can be fixed).

Solid bike, always overlooked because of the Speed Triple. The old Trumpy 600 4cyl bikes were really good but got poo poo on in reviews because they weren't as light or powerful as the Jap 600s, but they handle really well. Just make sure the fuel injection map is up to date (Triumph dealers can get and update this in a few minutes).

"[panic posted:

"]
Any thoughts on this bike? Taking the MSF next weekend and will have my license, but no bike. I've been looking around on Craigslist and this one popped up.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1961245010.html

My main concern is the price -- I feel like $5,000 is too high, but it is difficult to tell since it is tough to do price comparisons on a bike that old.

Can't comment on the price, but that'd be a decent first bike. Having said that though, it's a drat nice bike and not exactly cheap, do you really want to find yourself on the ground crying because you just dropped your beautiful 60's Triumph after making a stupid newbie mistake?

Buy it.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 19, 2010

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
Would a Triumph Bonneville work ok for a first bike or would I be getting in over my head? I'm a new rider, just completed the MSF course this weekend and plan to get my license next week. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs., and I used Rebels and GZ250s during the MSF course. Those bikes were way too small; I couldn't even make a few of the really tight turns because my knees knocked into the handlebars.

Only thing I'm hesitant about is starting with a 850cc bike. On the one hand, my MSF instructors both told me that I'm too large for anything smaller than 800cc. On the other hand, I've read a lot of contrary information on this forum and elsewhere. Adding to my confusion is that the Bonneville is 66hp, which is under the 70hp that the OP recommends for new riders, and I've read in some reviews that the Bonneville's performance is fairly modest, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me right now.

I know I could get a 70s or 80s UJM to get similar styling and a slightly less-powered bike, but honestly I don't want to deal with maintenance issues for my first bike. I think I'd rather pick up an old CB series next summer and work on it as a secondary project bike.

Edit: Actually, any comments on this particular bike (price, etc.) would be helpful:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/1960093689.html

10-8 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 20, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

10-8 posted:

I know I could get a 70s or 80s UJM to get similar styling and a slightly less-powered bike, but honestly I don't want to deal with maintenance issues for my first bike.
And you're looking at a 60s Bonneville!?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

Where does he say that?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Endless Mike posted:

No, something new(ish).

Like this,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/1957000253.html

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

10-8 posted:

No, something new(ish).

Like this,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/1957000253.html

I wouldn't straight out advise against it as a first bike. It really depends on your riding style. It's not a stupid fast bike, but it's got enough power to get you in the trouble zone. It's around 70Hp I think, and it's also pretty heavy for a starter bike. It's a fine bike though. If you're dead set on a Bonneville, I'd say go for it, but I'd recommend looking at the slightly older version without EFI (Yes, I know it looks like carburetors on that bike, but it's not. It's a cleverly disguised EFI, and it's not one of the greatest EFIs ever made)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

10-8 posted:

Only thing I'm hesitant about is starting with a 850cc bike. On the one hand, my MSF instructors both told me that I'm too large for anything smaller than 800cc. On the other hand, I've read a lot of contrary information on this forum and elsewhere. Adding to my confusion is that the Bonneville is 66hp, which is under the 70hp that the OP recommends for new riders, and I've read in some reviews that the Bonneville's performance is fairly modest, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me right now.

Don't worry too much about displacement, anything under or around 100hp/liter should be perfect as long as you keep it under 70hp or so.

There are big 1600+cc Harleys making less power than even a modest 600cc four-cylinder, but with more torque, obviously. Just don't get some crazy 250cc two-stroke with like 50+hp, that's a surefire recipe for disaster :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't worry too much about displacement, anything under or around 100hp/liter should be perfect as long as you keep it under 70hp or so.

There are big 1600+cc Harleys making less power than even a modest 600cc four-cylinder, but with more torque, obviously. Just don't get some crazy 250cc two-stroke with like 50+hp, that's a surefire recipe for disaster :)

I think it's about time we discuss fitting a turbo, forged pistons and Yoshimura cams on your Bandit 600 ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Engine swap time. Build Denmark's first Bandit 6000.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

Engine swap time. Build Denmark's first Bandit 6000.

That would be loving irresponsibly. It's his first bike and he's just a couple of weeks into it.

I'd suggest we stay below 2000cc and keep the turbo charge at pretty low Psi.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Blaster of Justice posted:

I wouldn't straight out advise against it as a first bike. It really depends on your riding style. It's not a stupid fast bike, but it's got enough power to get you in the trouble zone. It's around 70Hp I think, and it's also pretty heavy for a starter bike. It's a fine bike though. If you're dead set on a Bonneville, I'd say go for it, but I'd recommend looking at the slightly older version without EFI (Yes, I know it looks like carburetors on that bike, but it's not. It's a cleverly disguised EFI, and it's not one of the greatest EFIs ever made)
Do you know when they added EFI to the Bonneville line? Edit: Looks like 2008/2009.

Here's a 2003 that I actually like better than the 2009 I linked above:

Any other bikes you'd recommend that are styled similarly and would be suitable for a new but tall rider? I'm not set on the Bonneville, I just liked that it's seat height is 3-4 inches higher than the 250s I rode (even the Honda Shadow is only 1 inch higher) and it seems like a physically larger bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

Where does he say that?
I got him confused with the guy above. :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it's about time we discuss fitting a turbo, forged pistons and Yoshimura cams on your Bandit 600 ;)

Don't be silly, a 50-shot of nitrous will be just right for the upcoming winter :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

10-8 posted:

Do you know when they added EFI to the Bonneville line? Edit: Looks like 2008/2009.

Any other bikes you'd recommend that are styled similarly and would be suitable for a new but tall rider? I'm not set on the Bonneville, I just liked that it's seat height is 3-4 inches higher than the 250s I rode (even the Honda Shadow is only 1 inch higher) and it seems like a physically larger bike.

The seat height is very, very low for a tall rider. I rode my brother in law's bonne (admittedly coming straight off my KDX250...) the other week, and it felt like the back of the bike had collapsed and my knees were up around my ears. I'm pretty much exactly the same size as you. FWIW, I didn't think there was anything much wrong with the EFI, but then I didn't ride it for that long. e: Except that it has EFI, but still has a manual choke/fast idle circuit, which makes no sense.

People in the US tend to jump straight from wobbling around on small-capacity tiddlers to pretty serious bikes - I don't think that's particularly sensible myself, but if you're determined to do that, the Bonne is a very good bike for it. And what you say about not wanting a beat-to-poo poo old UJM is very valid. The Bonne is heavy and doesn't have the sort of chassis I'd want to take on a track day, but unlike certain well-known American brands, is very decent at 95% of what a bike has to do and a pleasure to ride. Stopping, going, turning corners*, that sort of poo poo.

If you want to go the Triumph twin route, I'd recommend a newer 17" wheel bonne or a thruxton (18"F 17"R, IIRC), so you have a decent tyre selection. Old Bonnes have a 19" front.

* cough cough

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

10-8 posted:

10-8 posted:

I can't answer for the price asked, since I live in another part of the world, but I would recommend it over the 2009 for a beginners bike. The EFI is not a bad thing per se, but the 2009 Bonneville has some serious fuel mapping and electronically control issues. There are ECU upgrades to make it tolerable though.

10-8 posted:

That's a loving hard question to answer. No, I don't think there's a current Japanese bike build quite like a Bonneville.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a loving hard question to answer. No, I don't think there's a current Japanese bike build quite like a Bonneville.

Kawasaki did make the W650, but according to wikipedia, the US only got them in 1999 and 2000 due to poor sales. Finding one is probably going to be hard, but I hear it's a better retro bike than the Bonnie.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

Kawasaki did make the W650, but according to wikipedia, the US only got them in 1999 and 2000 due to poor sales. Finding one is probably going to be hard, but I hear it's a better retro bike than the Bonnie.

Just call me a pervert (please do), but I'd prefer a '85 Yamaha XS650 over a current Kawasaki W650.

Poor welding, check, lousy finish, check, frame as stiff as rubber, check. My brother owns a W650, and I hope he reads this ;)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poor welding, check, lousy finish, check, frame as stiff as rubber, check.

Like I said, a better retro bike ;)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I got my Bonneville after having had just a couple weeks of riding experience, and I've found it to be a very newbie-friendly bike. Of course, I wouldn't have gotten on it without doing the MSF training first, but that should go for pretty much anything. The only thing that I ever have trouble with is just the weight of it. It's really easy to wobble or tip over standing still or at low speeds, so it helps if you have strong legs.

There are definitely some issues with the newer EFI models, but they're pretty minor. I'd say the biggest advantage of the carbed models is that you can do more work on the bike yourself. The only other things that annoy me about it is the battery life (even with the "urban" reprogramming, it still has comparatively poor battery life) and that trying to go extremely light on the throttle can sometimes be a bit jerky because of the EFI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I've put some miles on the FZ6. It's a great bike, has enough power, feels stable, starts up every time, etc, etc. However, I look like a a clown riding a childs tricycle on it. I'm not huge, 6'2" 220, pretty wide shoulders with the beginnings of a marvelous beer gut. The seating position was at first comforting; being able to chuck around something that small, but as time progressed I find my knees hitting the wide part of the gas tank, my arms sticking out or compressed uncomfortably under long periods of time. Also, tucking into the gas tank is comical, my helmet bounces off the windshield. Finally, as a commuter bike, I wish I had the lower end grunt of a V-twin. The I4 is cool, but it goes from civilized to holy loving god real quick.

Basically, I'm looking for a larger V-twin FZ6. Doing basic research I found what I consider to be exotic, yet down home rear end wooper of a supermodel in a bike, the Aprilia Shiver 750. It's probably still a bit too small, only 10mm taller seat and a negligible difference in wheelbase, but its a good start to what I'm looking for.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1965674990.html
Would be loving awesome.

I wont be looking at a new bike until I finish school in a couple months, just kind of getting the lay of the land as far as options go. Would love to hear of thoughts or experiences.