Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

thehustler posted:

One track in to the new Oceansize album and it's already wonderful. Very Doomy, in fact! Maybe I should have posted this in the sludge thread? :)

the album is just phenomenal. it's a grower too, i didn't really care for anything but Build Us A Rocket You Rocket Building oval office until i listened to it a few times. you can find the lyrics on their forum, very well written.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was gonna go, but forgot the date until the day of and couldn't make it. Turns out Russian Circles ended up not playing. I think they had car trouble or something like that. At least that's what one of my friends who went told me.

I enjoy listening to Boris' albums from time to time, but I think if I listened to them live, I'd want to kill myself. Maybe the actual experience of seeing them isn't how I think it is, but I just have this mental image of them being excrutiatingly loud and droney.

Pretty much, though there was this juxtaposition between the mood of the music and the way their drummer was acting. He was very goofy any entertaining to watch. It was a great concert and Red Sparowes played very well. The first time I skimmed through their albums I thought they were just a glum post doom rock EITS knockoff but the more I listen the more palatable they seem to get. The ISIS influence is very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Explosions in the Sky played a new song at All Tomorrow's Parties NY on Saturday night. Apparently it is the same song they played here at the Baltimore show a couple of days ago.

I wouldn't trust my memory on what it sounded like TOO much seeing as I was a good deal buzzed and was freaking over the fact that I was finally going to see them after almost 10 years of being a fan, but I do seem to remember it sounding a bit different than that video. There was much more droning in spots than probably anything they've ever done, with next to no quietLOUDquietLOUD dynamics. To be honest it almost sounded more like Oceanic era Isis in places than anything, if you removed most of the sludgy crunch of Isis and replaced it with EitS trademark "Stratocaster that sounds like a wind-chime making shimmery prettiness" thing. I looked on Youtube for the ATP performance to compare, but either no one got a decent recording of it, or no one has been home long enough to upload it. I really hope the whole set gets uploaded to archive.org, though, because they loving killed that night. I honestly think they put on a better show for us than Shellac, Sonic Youth or even the Stooges, and all three of those bands were in extremely rare loving form.

I also ran into Munaf Rayani outside of the merch room yesterday, and he's seriously got to be one of the nicest and most friendly people on the planet. I ended up talking to him for a good 20 muinutes about the festival, their music and the millions of bands that try to sound just like them, and he just had this live and let live opinion on everytyhing. He did say that the new album they are working on is coming along well, but that he has no idea when it will come out. He actually apologized for not having released anything since All of a Sudden, which I found really unnecessary, but I guess I appreciated the gesture.

The Consultant posted:

Pretty much, though there was this juxtaposition between the mood of the music and the way their drummer was acting. He was very goofy any entertaining to watch. It was a great concert and Red Sparowes played very well. The first time I skimmed through their albums I thought they were just a glum post doom rock EITS knockoff but the more I listen the more palatable they seem to get. The ISIS influence is very interesting.

Can you really say that Red Sparowes have been influenced by Isis when Bryant Clifford Meyer is in both bands, or rather was in both bands until Isis broke up? That's kind of like saying that Grinderman is influenced by the Bad Seeds.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
What are some post-rock artists similar to The American Dollar and (if he's considered post-rock) Ulrich Schnauss? I suppose I'm looking for more ambient post-rock?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The Album Leaf.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Hammock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bishop Beo posted:

What are some post-rock artists similar to The American Dollar and (if he's considered post-rock) Ulrich Schnauss? I suppose I'm looking for more ambient post-rock?

Eluvium, if he still counts. And Helios. And Ben Woods, who I heard about from these forums.

No one I know has heard of any of these and they're all really great for chilling out and listening to. Eluvium's new album wasn't very good, but besides that I think the few I mentioned are underrated.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Bishop Beo posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

Jadius posted:

Can you really say that Red Sparowes have been influenced by Isis when Bryant Clifford Meyer is in both bands, or rather was in both bands until Isis broke up? That's kind of like saying that Grinderman is influenced by the Bad Seeds.

I'm not sure if I made sense in my post, I was pretty much referring to Bryant, as his sound carried between both bands. I really haven't read much about Red Sparowes beyond an interview or two.

Isus
Aug 5, 2009

Jadius posted:

Explosions in the Sky played a new song at All Tomorrow's Parties NY on Saturday night. Apparently it is the same song they played here at the Baltimore show a couple of days ago. [...] I looked on Youtube for the ATP performance to compare, but either no one got a decent recording of it, or no one has been home long enough to upload it. I really hope the whole set gets uploaded to archive.org

Someone recorded and uploaded the Baltimore set. They also played a new song at The Big Chill.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
new 65daysofstatic EP next month.

quote:

Here's the tracklisting of the whole EP, and it's really strange and weird and noisy in a really good way, from start to finish:

1. Tiger Girl (Wishful Thinking Edit)
2. Sawtooth Rising
3. The Wrong Shape
4. PX3
5. Pacify
6. Beats Like A Helix
7. Guitar Cascades

And as you can see, it's all new stuff, except for a three minute edit of Tiger Girl. Chopping that ten minute behemoth down to a three minute 'hamster nugget' was no easy task - especially because we here at 65HQ are under NO illusion that doing this will actually get it on the radio. Ha! Imagine that. Still, it's a small price to pay for being able to put out almost a whole other album's worth of material from the Exploding Sessions, right? Plus, you know, it does still work as a three minute blast of kick drum. And to balance things out, 'Guitar Cascades' is essentially a ten-minute-tape-loop-noise-anthem.

And here's a song from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHb7XMnU3J4

Now I'm one of the biggest 65dos fans going, but am I the only one who's slightly underwhelmed by this? I loved We Were Exploding Anyway, but this seems like a step backwards to me and even then it doesn't come close to the quality of stuff on One Time for All Time.

It just plods along and even when it does get going, it really lacks the cutting edge of most of WWEA that makes you want to get up and dance. Maybe my opinion will change after a few listens but at the moment I really hope the rest of the EP isn't like this, it sounds unfinished and rough to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That sounded really boring and un-605dos like :( I loved WWEA, but that song had none of the energy of that album.

I hope that's not a new direction they're going in.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
What bands are most like And So I Watch You From Afar and Russian Circles. They're my favorite. Crescendo stuff is kind of cool but it gets boring to me after a while.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

apophenium posted:

What bands are most like And So I Watch You From Afar and Russian Circles. They're my favorite. Crescendo stuff is kind of cool but it gets boring to me after a while.

I haven't listened to Russian Circles since Enter but if I recall they reminded me of a softer Pelican. I need to pick up some of their albums, I saw them play once three or four years ago and they were great.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Parachute Underwear posted:

I haven't listened to Russian Circles since Enter but if I recall they reminded me of a softer Pelican. I need to pick up some of their albums, I saw them play once three or four years ago and they were great.

Pelican is pretty cool but their drummer is completely lackluster and sometimes it bugs me.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Quick drum chat - aside from not being anything special on the drums was there ever any mainstream criticism of Pelican's drummer before the Pitchfork article came out? I don't think there was.

I think when that article came out there was a collective word of mouth/word of posting on the internet that got people to pay closer attention to his drumming. When they noticed nothing was really happening (and nothing is) then a large wave of criticism appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

I'm not saying the guy's a great drummer but he's not bad really.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

apophenium posted:

Pelican is pretty cool but their drummer is completely lackluster and sometimes it bugs me.

It is quite literally impossible to talk about Pelican without bringing up their drummer. Seriously.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

It is quite literally impossible to talk about Pelican without bringing up their drummer. Seriously.

Pelican is like a really good movie that's filmed by the worlds most inane and tasteless videographer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the problem with their drummer? :confused:

I've been listening to them for years and never thought the drums were bad at all. In fact, I seem to remember thinking they added another level of oomph to their songs.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That 65daysofstatic song has been played live for about a year and a half under the same PX3 moniker and most fans were disappointed it wasn't on the album. It still has the thumping soundtrack that the stuff they do nowadays has, it's nice and driving. Studio version hasn't disappointed either.

Beats Like a Helix is a drum and bass-em up, very breakbeaty, from what I remember, and it's pretty good also.

Guitar Cascades was used as the intro music to the mix that the band did for Rob-Da-Bank last year sometime. It's some lovely textured distorted guitar and a nice melody behind it I think.

Anyway yeah, don't know the others but that should be a good EP.

Edit: Beats Like A Helix live in Moscow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75pR3OFuS8

Edit 2: Guitar Cascades in the remix available here: http://www.65kids.com/index.php/remixes

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 20, 2010

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

The Consultant posted:

Pelican is like a really good movie that's filmed by the worlds most inane and tasteless videographer.

Actually, Pelican is like a movie that's been hindered by poor casting choices and a plot that does not go anywhere.

Aside from plodding along the drummer really doesn't ruin anything that wasn't already pretty boring.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

To me he doesn't sound all that different from most other generic post-metal drummers. Kinda feel sorry for that guy with all the bad rep he gets.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
The lackluster drumming on City of Echoes was pretty obvious even without having read any articles or internet posts about it. I thought the drumming on The Fire In Our Throats... was fine though, so either it was a conscious simplification or he had a stroke between the two albums.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha, I had no idea you guys hated Pelican so much.

About the drummer, I'll use the post-rock band I'm in as an example:

Our drummer is a great guy, fun to be around and we all get along, etc. But he's in two bands, ours and a Led Zeppelin/Lynrd Skynrd/Rage Against The Machine "influenced" (ripoff) lovely radio rock band. He's much more into the latter, as he likes that type of music more than post-rock. He doesn't really listen to post-rock in his free time at all, and it kinda shows in how he drums for us. But in spite of all that, he gets the job done. He's not great at it, but we need a drummer and he fills that role.

I've never felt that way about Pelican or most other drummers in post-rock bands that I listen to. They're not immersion-breaking or anything. I can see why someone like our drummer would be given a hard time because he sounds out of place at times with his style, but Pelican's drummer? Really, I've never thought of his style as being detrimental to their songs in the least.

Where are y'all getting this from?

(If what you guys are saying has to do with What We All Come To Need, though, I won't fight you. That album has one or two standout tracks and the rest is completely forgettable. That's coming from someone who's been a huge fan ever since Thaw was first released.)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Foxhole finally seem to be actually going into the studio soon and have released a 20 second demo of a new song.

http://tumblr.com/xytjhppq3

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I don't really keep up with post rock anymore, but I am posting here to say how loving excited I am that I'll be seeing GYBE in March. Apparently tickets sold out in like 15 minutes. (And that makes me feel ALMOST a little better about getting ripped off for surcharges... which were almost as expensive as the tickets themselves.)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I just discovered Khuda, and holy poo poo this band rules. The album I have (Stratospherics) sounds like a live album even though it's not (as far as I know).

http://www.myspace.com/khudamusic

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Not exactly re-inventing the wheel here but I've been enjoying Some Are Gods for a while now and can't wait to hear more stuff from these guys.

http://www.myspace.com/somearegods

Also is it just me or has there been a shortage of good and interesting new releases lately? I've been mostly listening to the new Red Sparowes and Lights Out Asia but other than those two, I can't even remember anything stellar coming out lately. I hope this will chance when the new Jakob album comes out..

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, the post-rock scene has seemed pretty quiet lately. It's kind of a shame because only a few really good releases have come out since last year.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Clearly none of you have heard the new Her Name is Calla! Next Mogwai album is almost finished too :krad:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Rhgr posted:

Clearly none of you have heard the new Her Name is Calla! Next Mogwai album is almost finished too :krad:
Speaking of Mogwai...
http://www.factmag.com/2010/10/27/mogwai-announce-full-details-of-new-album-and-2011-tour/
Their new album just got a release date.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Did anyone else get the Mogwai live album? I loved the DVD "Burning".

Also, new Maserati is pretty awesome.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
So dudes, I am almost certainly going to try and get tickets to see Explosions in the Sky, and I hope you all are, too!

But my question is, do I go to the Manchester Academy, or London Roundhouse?

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

jackson1 posted:

Also, new Maserati is pretty awesome.

Oh yes it is. There's some amazing drumming going on throughout the record.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Nuclear Spoon posted:

So dudes, I am almost certainly going to try and get tickets to see Explosions in the Sky, and I hope you all are, too!

But my question is, do I go to the Manchester Academy, or London Roundhouse?

I have no idea what the Manchester venue is like but I've only ever heard good things about the Roundhouse. Personally, I'd just go to whichever is closer to you, or both.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Yeah, I've been told that the Roundhouse is good and that Manchester is kinda scummy (this may or may not be true).

In more important news:

Mogwai's new album has been leaked. Not that I condone listening to it before buying it, of course.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
It's good.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
I remember that pitchfork review was what really tipped me from thinking Pelican were ok to not being able to listen to them anymore.

Before I'd noticed there were a couple of times where he sounded like he was falling behind the tune, or there'd be a mistake here or there and I thought it was weird that a band would let that sort of thing fly on proper recordings. It bugged me a bit, but I could get past it.

After that review I went back and listened to the songs specifically for the drums and it's almost comical how bad he is. Falling behind the song, loving things up and otherwise just making really terrible choices.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Glad to see there are new and exciting things to discuss about post-rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just started listening to the new Mogwai album and it's very good! It's starting off better than The Hawk Is Howling, at least.

I hope this keeps up. THiH had a couple good songs, but it was kind of underwhelming overall.

edit: Okay, this is now my favorite Mogwai album since Happy Songs For Happy People.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Mexican Grand Prix is pretty awful.