Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

He wouldn't do it normally.

But if it meant selling some of his snake oil, he would armwrestle a cougar. So it just adds to his character.

I am looking forward to dashing out in front of the zombies as soon as the poo poo hits the fan in MP and launching into a snake oil spiel. "Hold your fire, lads! I sense an opportunity to do business with these fine undead citizens of, uh, whichever hideout we're in!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

<:mad:>

There is one way to settle this. And that's scratching you behind the ears.

No cat can help themselves when that happens.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Argh, spaniard n friends I'm getting murdered continuously as I try to join the game from Free Mode. I was able to play in the last server, and can join other games, so I dunno. Was fun murdering lawmen while it lasted!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I am hoping when the undead pack comes out, we get an evil villain riding a zombie horse like in House 2.

That was my favorite movie as a kid, and the western bad guy just loving owned, but the zombie horse he rode was god damned awe inspiring to a young me.

Can't find a pic of the horse, so here is the bad guy.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

So, after playing with davebo for a while (drat you for getting that rifle before me!), I read up about the weapon, because he didn't have it from the start.

It turns out that the only way to get it is to do a gang hideout - not sure if it's only new ones that have it, or if it's in the old ones - where, once cleared, it'll appear in a crate.

It only has 4 shots at a time, is only in free roam (I think), and if you die with it, you lose it until you get a new one.

So that makes it fairer on other players, I guess. :(

It'd be nicer if it didn't have an ammo limit though.

Edit: Dammit, Rockstar :( Release it here already. :( I want the new stuff.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 21, 2010

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Well, I can confirm: Explosive rifle completely kicks rear end. Thank god they put the restrictions on it they did, or free roam would be broken. You get four shots, and you make them count, dammit. You CAN dead eye lock with it, and when you shoot a posse close together right in the middle...its...glorious.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
That list of characters that was posted was partially wrong. There's no De Santa or Escuellla. Instead, we got Jack and Abigail. I like that a whole lot more.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Eggplant Ronin posted:

That list of characters that was posted was partially wrong. There's no De Santa or Escuellla. Instead, we got Jack and Abigail. I like that a whole lot more.

Agreed. The thought of John and Jack riding together clearing hideouts makes me all warm n' fuzzy.

I'm still riding as Marshall Johnson though. Dude takes no crap.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sir Spaniard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jtd2f2lLtA&feature=related

I'll leave this right here.

The stupid thing is that he actively walked off. (Time to go try that rooftop in Armadillo for that 'wanted' achievement thing.)
vvvv

You know what'd be great? An Alien mod for RDR. The only thing you'd need to change are the models, sounds and animations are fine already.

GenoCanSing posted:

Well, I can confirm: Explosive rifle completely kicks rear end. Thank god they put the restrictions on it they did, or free roam would be broken. You get four shots, and you make them count, dammit. You CAN dead eye lock with it, and when you shoot a posse close together right in the middle...its...glorious.

4 shots each life? That's still crazy.

Edit: Wait nevermind, you lose it after you die

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

There's a fair few new hideouts in it, which are pretty well done, at least the ones I've played. Pretty basic 'take the fort then hold it stuff', but still fun. Especially with the Exploding Rifle. And the hunting ground animals take a fair bit more damage than previously. Not sure about the random wild animals though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So has anyone done any of the new multi-player gaming yet? I want to know what purpose (other than fun) poker and dice serve. If it is just fun, I am all for it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I wasn't paying attention and accidentally bought the Legends and Killers dlc that I didn't really want instead of Liars and Cheats. :( Ah well, I had been curious about the tomahawk anyway so I may as well make the most of it. I'm getting Liars and Cheats too so I guess it's not a complete waste as I'll be back in multiplayer anyway.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

So can someone comment on how multiplayer poker and dice works? I assume there is a timer for each person to make their decision otherwise someone could hold up the game forever by not betting a-la single player.

Also, is it fun?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

So can someone comment on how multiplayer poker and dice works? I assume there is a timer for each person to make their decision otherwise someone could hold up the game forever by not betting a-la single player.

Also, is it fun?

I have no idea, nobody wants to play yet.

But the explosive rifle is awesome. Try using it on someone who is just sitting on their horse from ten feet away. They vaporize. It's AWESOME.

The hideouts are pretty generic stuff but not even 500 XP, which sucks. The bright side is that the Hunting Grounds are basically hideout versions of the last stages of Master Hunter: kill enough animals and then the 'legendary' one (a few of the names are funny), and you get nearly 400 XP. There's about three or four of them.

All and all it's not too shabby.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Hungryjack posted:

Also, is it fun?

Yep. There's a timer.

Yep. It's fun.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

Fuzz posted:

I still wish there were trains in MP.

I think they cut out the random events because if they were generating for everyone at all times in a freeroam it would cause a lot of lag. Also a lot of the random events rely on being able to lasso/cut someone free, so those are all out.

Sorry for being daft, but what's the difference between this and all the random stuff in GTA 4? I mean it's not like the client side is having to process an event that's across the map. I understand the lasso issue since it's not in MP at all, which is a shame. Maybe only being able to lasso NPCs and not players would help. Kind of like not being able to lasso a rabbit, a lasso aimed at a player falls when it hits the hitbox.

Rockstar is a pretty intelligent developer, surely they could figure this out. This is the only thing keeping me from playing MP. It's a big thing, but Free Roam just seems boring the way it is now.

My couple of Free Roam sessions devolved into a posse raping all the other players. There was just no point since it was just a DM session.

BiscuitErsedRenton fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 21, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ Well you're right in that there's not a huge goon presence and we go around griefing pubbies or anything. But why don't you lasso up 3 more of us and play some co-op missions? It's good fun.

I have no idea, nobody wants to play yet.

The hideouts are pretty generic stuff but not even 500 XP, which sucks. The bright side is that the Hunting Grounds are basically hideout versions of the last stages of Master Hunter: kill enough animals and then the 'legendary' one (a few of the names are funny), and you get nearly 400 XP. There's about three or four of them.

The DLC has been out less than a day and includes the ability to explode a cougar into a puddle of blood from a camping position on a house. I certainly don't blame anyone for not taking an interest in online poker. I got my fill of online poker from yahoo games in the 90's, and already got bored of liar's dice on the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 interactive blu-ray.

There are 4 new hunting grounds. I thought it would be the same 4 animals but they ditched bears (boo) in favor of bobcats in Mexico. For anyone looking to go straight for the cougars, they're the ones in the northwest by rathskeller fork. Spaniard and I happened to start in the northeast and since the great plains was boars, I figured the cougars would definitely be the one by rio bravo, but that was wolves. I figured bears would have to be northwest since they certainly wouldn't be in mexico, but alas they snubbed the bears entirely. I can't believe I actually earn xp now for sniping animals. I'd do this for free forever.

Double-edit: vv I was only in single player for a minute last night, but it didn't show up under any weapons I had, and I went to the Armadillo gun store and it wasn't in there. It doesn't show up in multiplayer loadout either when you spawn. I had to win one of the new dlc gang matches for it to appear in a box afterwards. In multi it makes sense because the griefing possibilities are endless, but I can't imagine why we shouldn't be able to use it in single player, short of them not wanting to bother testing it.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 21, 2010

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can the exploding rifle be used in single? I need to one-shot some bears.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

davebo posted:

Edit: ^^ Well you're right in that there's not a huge goon presence and we go around griefing pubbies or anything. But why don't you lasso up 3 more of us and play some co-op missions? It's good fun.

The DLC has been out less than a day and includes the ability to explode a cougar into a puddle of blood from a camping position on a house. I certainly don't blame anyone for not taking an interest in online poker. I got my fill of online poker from yahoo games in the 90's, and already got bored of liar's dice on the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 interactive blu-ray.

There are 4 new hunting grounds. I thought it would be the same 4 animals but they ditched bears (boo) in favor of bobcats in Mexico. For anyone looking to go straight for the cougars, they're the ones in the northwest by rathskeller fork. Spaniard and I happened to start in the northeast and since the great plains was boars, I figured the cougars would definitely be the one by rio bravo, but that was wolves. I figured bears would have to be northwest since they certainly wouldn't be in mexico, but alas they snubbed the bears entirely. I can't believe I actually earn xp now for sniping animals. I'd do this for free forever.

They dropped bears for boars, but the worst part is that the Mexican bobcats are INSANE. They come at you in groups of four to six and they just tear your poo poo up without stop. I died more than when I was cleaning out Scarf's family in Silent Stead. With an explosive rifle.

BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT.

Still, I did enjoy the names of the HG Legendary cougar and wolf. Oh, Rockstar, you and topical humor. :allears:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

They dropped bears for boars, but the worst part is that the Mexican bobcats are INSANE. They come at you in groups of four to six and they just tear your poo poo up without stop. I died more than when I was cleaning out Scarf's family in Silent Stead. With an explosive rifle.

What do you mean they dropped bears for boars? In the multiplayer before this dlc there were 4 hunting locations right? Cougars in tall trees, bears in tall trees, boars in that field by the river and wolves in barranca or something? We had boars before and we got boars again in great plains. Bobcats are the new ones, and I agree they're mean as hell. Once they killed my horse I just jumped up on a rock because I'm a big old sissy sniper.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

jabro posted:

Can the exploding rifle be used in single? I need to one-shot some bears.

Yep, you buy it in Blackwater.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
As soon as PSN is back up imma buy this and I'll be down for some super serious poker and by super serious poker I mean 15 minutes of me making sexual innuendos about poker.

I'll pok' 'er all right :clint:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dammit, I only have 720 ms points. contemplating holding off on this until some place is selling mspoints on the cheap.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

poo poo, first person who has Aces over eights gets shot in the face.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

davebo posted:

What do you mean they dropped bears for boars? In the multiplayer before this dlc there were 4 hunting locations right? Cougars in tall trees, bears in tall trees, boars in that field by the river and wolves in barranca or something? We had boars before and we got boars again in great plains. Bobcats are the new ones, and I agree they're mean as hell. Once they killed my horse I just jumped up on a rock because I'm a big old sissy sniper.

There were hunting locations before this?

I'm lost. Bobcats were always in the game. You needed to kill a few so you got that 'kill every animal' achievement.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think he just means there weren't any bobcat hunting grounds before.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Still, I did enjoy the names of the HG Legendary cougar and wolf. Oh, Rockstar, you and topical humor. :allears:

I get Demi, but Kiefer? Is it a reference to the movie "Freeway"?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, but they aren't 'animal hideouts' like in the new content. They're spawn points, that may or may not lead to the original legendary animals appearing.

I was expecting more splash damage with the Exp-rifle. For a test (laugh) I shot my horse in the head while I was riding. :D I went tumbling a bit, but it wasn't overly lifethreatening.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I'm lost. Bobcats were always in the game. You needed to kill a few so you got that 'kill every animal' achievement.

There were 4 hunting locations before, they simply weren't marked on the map and you didn't earn any xp for completing them. You stumble into an area, turn around and suddenly 8 cougars are after you. Kill them all and then nothing happens, but in multiplayer it'll tell people when you entered the areas just like it tells everyone when you enter a gang hideout.

e:f,b

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Haven't played liars dice yet, but I've been playing some poker and it's pretty good. It is, as expected, seperated from free roam in much the same way as co-op missions are, and it looks like all the poker tables from the single player are available here. Before each game while standing around waiting for the players to get ready, there is a display above the table telling you how much the buy in is and how much money you have. Money to chip value is the same as in single player, and I would assume that the purpose of money is to be able to play at tables with high buy ins such as Blackwater, though I haven't checked that yet. I didn't see any other possible use for money, and I would imagine the high stakes tables would make it easier to complete the poker challenges.

The people I played with were mostly pretty good, I played a few games and there was only one table that wasn't playing properly and just going all in every single hand. I don't regret getting this, the only complaints I have are that no one was talking during the game, even people who were chatty while waiting for the game to start, and you can't use your characters taunts while playing.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 22, 2010

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

As soon as I get back home on Monday, I am picking up Liars and Cheats for sure. My PSN is the same as my SA username.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They seemed to have decreased all the experience you can get in multiplayer I only get about 300 for each cooperative mission, what the hell? Hunting grounds are fun and the rifle is terrific.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

GenoCanSing posted:

The blood... blood everywhere... in gloriuos vaporized form. The Explosive Rifle is absolute madness and I love it.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I wanted to get the single player achievement for the explosive rifle. It costs $15,000 at Blackwater, and I only have $9K. :negative:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Better get out to Tall Trees and start killin'

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has anyone had trouble getting the Movie Man stranger to start? The one where you have to go play Liar's Dice in Thieve's Landing? I shot enough innocent guys to get my Honor down, but when I get there, there is nobody playing Liar's Dice. :(

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

The blood... blood everywhere... in gloriuos vaporized form. The Explosive Rifle is absolute madness and I love it.

Twin Rocks, singleplayer: I'm working on the achievement and killed two guys who ducked behind cover. Two guys in front of the main house are ripping me apart. I let them have it.

Two men are instantly two plumes of bloody dew in seconds. It's awesome.

Too bad you can only get ammo for it in Blackwater, which is sad.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

A Quiet American posted:

I wanted to get the single player achievement for the explosive rifle. It costs $15,000 at Blackwater, and I only have $9K. :negative:

Is this with maxed honor?

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

MrJacobs posted:

Is this with maxed honor?

It cost me $5,000 with maxed honor. It only comes with one round, though.

edit: "round" meaning one shot. I think it's supposed to hold four.

bitey fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bitey posted:

It cost me $5,000 with maxed honor. It only comes with one round, though.

any gun you buy has it's maximum magazine and no spare ammo.

• Locked thread