Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bitey posted:

It cost me $5,000 with maxed honor. It only comes with one round, though.

I played the whole single player game getting max honor, then when I was done I killed a ton of people getting bounties for trophies or something, then saved it. I guess that's why it was $15k. I only have 18k so maybe I'll work my honor back up if it'll save me 10k. But more likely I'll just make a save in Blackwater and rebuy the gun and full ammo each time I want to putz around single player. I want to keep the money around just in case the zombie pack adds something in there I might need it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A goon sent this out in the mail to me yesterday (jokes on him, I traded FF13 for it, I got the better end of the deal). Can't wait to get it. I've been wanting to play this for a while now.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I said come in! posted:

A goon sent this out in the mail to me yesterday (jokes on him, I traded FF13 for it, I got the better end of the deal). Can't wait to get it. I've been wanting to play this for a while now.

Remember to walk without rhythm!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

When you first enter Mexico do not get off the horse for any reason. I don't care if Jessica Alba is naked on a rock. Do not get off your horse.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Capsaicin posted:

Has anyone had trouble getting the Movie Man stranger to start? The one where you have to go play Liar's Dice in Thieve's Landing? I shot enough innocent guys to get my Honor down, but when I get there, there is nobody playing Liar's Dice. :(

It starts behind the movie theater at Armadillo. Then you can go play Liar's Dice in Thieve's Landing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Fuzz posted:

It starts behind the movie theater at Armadillo. Then you can go play Liar's Dice in Thieve's Landing.

Yeah, I mean, I talked to the dude, and he just told me to go to TL.

Eventually people showed up, but I had to rest/save about 4 times.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, I mean, I talked to the dude, and he just told me to go to TL.

Eventually people showed up, but I had to rest/save about 4 times.

I just entered and exited the building about five times and some guys spawned. I had reasonable high honor at the time, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is Red Dead Redemption: Herbert MOOOON approved thread title, but the mods didn't too long?

I've been meaning to get it changed but I just went through a lengthy, difficult move. I still haven't even been able to play the last 2 RDR DLC's.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShowTime posted:

Is Red Dead Redemption: Herbert MOOOON approved thread title, but the mods didn't too long?

Haha, that's great.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Red Dead Redemption: Cougars just want your cool hat. Bears want to hug.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is the strategy for winning in Poker against the AI. Every time I play, I always lose a shitload.

Liars Dice is awesomely fun though.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

blackguy32 posted:

What is the strategy for winning in Poker against the AI. Every time I play, I always lose a shitload.

Liars Dice is awesomely fun though.

Bluff like a motherfucker. The AI is actually pretty stupid, to the point that you can accidentally psych yourself out assuming they're smarter than they are (except for those rare few times they really do have a burst of intelligence.)

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Daeren posted:

Bluff like a motherfucker. The AI is actually pretty stupid, to the point that you can accidentally psych yourself out assuming they're smarter than they are (except for those rare few times they really do have a burst of intelligence.)

Is it the same level at every table? Because I've had times where I keep pushing the bluff higher and higher, and end up all in, and then lose. :(

My strategy is to bluff 3 or for times, and if they don't fold, then I do, because it's usually a good indication of a great hand... Except for once, I went all in with a pair of aces against a pair of 7's. I guess for some reason it glitched and thought it was a winning hand.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Daeren posted:

This is absolutely true. For the most part they'll fold when you bluff unless they have a really stellar hand. I'm terrible at poker (and don't really know the rules that well) so I just manipulated the AI and cheated like crazy. I also used this to figure out how to bet. I cheated over 100 times when I was trying to beat everyone at the table in Blackwater. Yes, I don't know anything about poker, you may revoke my man card at any time.

Yeah, I think honor has something to do with the cost of the rifle, I wish I had thought of that earlier. Regardless, I did Fort Mercer a few times, robbed some banks, played some five finger fillet, and bought the rifle and max ammo. It's absolutely incredible. I'm really looking forward to loving around with this in free roam.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The AI is different for different players / places. In Mexico they bet fearlessly and I won in Armadillo when I realized the last player was super cautious and fold every time if I bet high enough.

The best advice I've read came from wiki in the OP.

quote:

Stay in for early hands, never folding, but put in the minimum + the next highest option. This will keep money on the table and normally in rounds of high betting cause the enemy NPC to fold. Once you get a good hand put in roughly 1/2 of the pot to really amp up stakes without causing an instant fold. Once you have 2-3 times more cash than you started with you officially control the game. Fold on bad hands and keep bidding minimum +1 on all hands.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

The AI is different for different players / places. In Mexico they bet fearlessly and I won in Armadillo when I realized the last player was super cautious and fold every time if I bet high enough.

The best advice I've read came from wiki in the OP.

They're pretty timid in Blackwood, too. If you win a few decent hands early on, it's really easy to just bully them around with huge raises.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

jabro posted:

When you first enter Mexico do not get off the horse for any reason. I don't care if Jessica Alba is naked on a rock. Do not get off your horse.

Worst design decision of the game. I got robbed the first time around because I sure as poo poo wanted to ride my fast palamino and not some lovely Mexican paint or whatever. If they had a few more sweepingly epic pieces to go with rides that played occasionally it would do wonders for an already awesome mood.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Nathilus posted:

Worst design decision of the game. I got robbed the first time around because I sure as poo poo wanted to ride my fast palamino and not some lovely Mexican paint or whatever. If they had a few more sweepingly epic pieces to go with rides that played occasionally it would do wonders for an already awesome mood.

Yeah that was a curious one. I don't know why they couldn't have just had the music keep playing no matter what you did. I ruined the second one by jumping off my horse to harvest a plant, of all things.

I'm assuming the release date of the zombie DLC is going to be near Halloween? The others have been pretty much all for multiplayer but Marston vs. zombies sounds fun.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I started playing multiplayer as Dutch now. Really fun to kill someone, hit B and hear him yell "Go on back to your WHORE wife!"

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
"Stop dilly-dallying and WORK!"

Jack you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
I laughed pretty hard when Irish cupped the horse's sack in Mexico.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

BlindNinja posted:

"Stop dilly-dallying and WORK!"

Jack you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

He's got a lot of problems, mister :(

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I finally managed to clear out the Armadillo poker table. And the last player was Herbert Moon. Suck it, you jerk! :D

Then I went on to win 4 hands in a row at blackjack in thieves landing because the dealer busted every time. Walked away after that.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just like his Pa taught him.

Wait, that's not right...

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 23, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've only been able to get Herbert Moooooon to shoot at me once. Otherwise, he just runs out of his store's back door and into the desert. Then he makes a 180 degree turn a mile away and walks back in from the front like nothing happened. Does he only shoot back if it's a specific gun or weapon?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only been able to get Herbert Moooooon to shoot at me once. Otherwise, he just runs out of his store's back door and into the desert. Then he makes a 180 degree turn a mile away and walks back in from the front like nothing happened. Does he only shoot back if it's a specific gun or weapon?

I had to get into a fight with him first and then he usually hauls rear end out of town, then after I pull a gun on him, he stops and pulls out a weapon of his own.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Angry Diplomat posted:

Guess I can't blame him. I was fuming at the end. The seething angst from his every word is just about acceptable, but I feel bad for the horsies.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Scarf posted:

I started playing multiplayer as Dutch now. Really fun to kill someone, hit B and hear him yell "Go on back to your WHORE wife!"

Seth's multiplayer quips are great. He's got some serious issues (besides the whole digging up graves and talking to dead people)... "Go ahead and leave, just like my father did!"

I haven't tried any of the other Redemption characters yet

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Sorry spaniard and whoever else I was playing with, assuming the other two were goons? There was no storm or anything but at the end of the third horse race all my power just blinked out for a second and the transformer at the street was making funny noises so I thought it best not to turn my ps3 back on. I'll catch you guys another time.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I thought that might have been the case, since you just vanished midway through. It's cool. And the other two weren't, no. they were invited in by a goon who left, I think.

Poker is a lot more fun than I thought it would be in multiplayer.
Liar's dice, not so much.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Hal Gill username posted:

Yeah that was a curious one. I don't know why they couldn't have just had the music keep playing no matter what you did. I ruined the second one by jumping off my horse to harvest a plant, of all things.

I'm assuming the release date of the zombie DLC is going to be near Halloween? The others have been pretty much all for multiplayer but Marston vs. zombies sounds fun.

Yea I'm really looking forward to the zombie dlc and how it affects the world. Still need to pick up this one but I'm not a big poker/dice player. Mainly getting it for that new mode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
This game has the greatest longevity in the oddest activity ever: Hunting bears.

I don't know why, but it's become a hobby of mine rivaling the Tetris scare of the 80s. Even though I've fully beaten the game at 100%, I started a new save just to get far enough in Blackwater to get the pistol, but not to reach the Beecher's Hope endgame. Then, as a Legend of the West (again), I went out to get some bear skins today. I spent, on and off, about 7 hours doing this, today alone.

I can't explain what brings me back to it. I sure as hell don't need the money, I've gotten all SP achievements (except for that damned "same horse for 20 missions" one), but something is absolutely captivating about waiting till a bear can turn me into ground beef, then stuffing a buffalo rifle round, or 2 shotgun shells into its snout. With this alone, I'm close to confirming whether this game has a x99 item cap in the provisions section.

But the reason I post is mainly to give a small mention about the Bear's wiki article. They say, twice I think, "up to 25" bears can show up. Nope. As many as you damned well please. I had at least 30 bears show up in the same 100 sq ft area around me, to the point where carcasses were beginning to disappear. In a single outing, between shopping for bullets and bait and whatnot, I killed a whopping 86 bears.

Is anyone else addicted to big game hunting like me? :ohdear:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Morter posted:

Is anyone else addicted to big game hunting like me? :ohdear:

God yes. Sadly there's not a new bear hunting area in Liars and Cheats. :(

Really curious what zombie animals will be like.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

co199 posted:

I laughed pretty hard when Irish cupped the horse's sack in Mexico.

You can get the poo poo kicked out of you by doing this. Horses appreciate unexpected cold hands on their sack just about as much as people do. Even a very well behaved/trained horse might freak out if someone was out of their field of view and suddenly groped them.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Oh! Apparently this weekend is going to be another double xp weekend, from what the people I was playing with were saying. Not sure whether it is, or where to find out, but if so, that's pretty cool and you should all get on and posse up!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If it starts tonight, I'll probably definitely be playing.

360 GT: SA 3toes

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Well there's definitely some kind of multiplayer event but I can't find anything about a double XP weekend. If there is, I'll be playing like a motherfucker to finally hit level 50.

Edit: according to this tweet it starts 1pm ET today! http://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/25323771865

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Do you get more xp for posseing up?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Scarf posted:

Do you get more xp for posseing up?

If it works like last time everything is simply doubled, so killing a random NPC gives you 2 XP, killing a player gives you 100, and Pike's Basin can get you almost 4k a run if you're in a grinding mood. Challenges completed net you 500 instead of the usual 250.

I have been offline so I don't know if any of the new stuff in Liars and Cheats gives you different XP options though (winning poker or races or points for your posse) but I assume it would just be that base number x2.

Protip: it works in private games if you want to go grind for a while and not be disturbed by pubbies. I may do that a bit once it hits so I can hit level 50, pass into legend and then go play public games to start the process all over again. :negative:

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Sort of. A posse can clear a hideout in much less time so you could get more XP for the time bonus, although your chain kill bonus will be smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Peas and Rice posted:

If it works like last time everything is simply doubled, so killing a random NPC gives you 2 XP, killing a player gives you 100, and Pike's Basin can get you almost 4k a run if you're in a grinding mood. Challenges completed net you 500 instead of the usual 250.

I have been offline so I don't know if any of the new stuff in Liars and Cheats gives you different XP options though (winning poker or races or points for your posse) but I assume it would just be that base number x2.

Protip: it works in private games if you want to go grind for a while and not be disturbed by pubbies. I may do that a bit once it hits so I can hit level 50, pass into legend and then go play public games to start the process all over again. :negative:

If you're on Xbox hit me up, I'd be down for that this afternoon.

Dr Geek posted:

Sort of. A posse can clear a hideout in much less time so you could get more XP for the time bonus, although your chain kill bonus will be smaller.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

• Locked thread