Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Pardalis posted:

When they first came:

A bit older:

Chuck Nibblet all tranced out (the first time I have tranced a bunny- we were doing nails):

Good god I think I just had a hernia from the cuteness. There is nothing cuter than a baby bunny. Nothing.

When Ender and Portia pass away I want to get a hold herd of babies at once and keep them as a large bonded group :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
My girlfriend and I are having some trouble with her rabbit, Nanners.

When we first moved into our new house (about a month ago), we were really excited, because we set up a pen with a rug for her, giving her a lot more room than previously. We could even have her come out and wander around the house during supervised playtimes. At first, she came out pretty often, but now she just sits around and we can't even lure her out with food - she'll just bite off what she can and run back into her cage. What can we do?

Some backstory:

We adopted Nanners from a rabbit rescue about 9 Months ago. She's 5 years old, a holland lop. At our first home, we had a petco cage, and we would open the door and let her roam around when we could. When my girlfriend moved home this summer, that rabbit was much more secluded. She didn't like coming out of her cage. We suspect a few different reasons. There were cats in the house, but Nanners never really seemed to care if they came by (she tried to keep them out of her room, and did, for the most part). Nanners also didn't seem to like the hardwood floors.

The new house does have hardwood floors, but that didn't stop the rabbit at first. We would sometimes set out a little bowl of vegetables or pellets about 15 feet from her cage, and Nanners would come eat with us while we watched TV. Now, we can't even lure her out out oats, lettuce, or any of her favorites.

Edit: her cage setup also has a little shelter for her, so she has a hideaway, though she rarely uses it.

What's up with this bunny?

Fanged Lawn Wormy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 20, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

WrongWay Feldman posted:

When we first moved into our new house (about a month ago), we were really excited, because we set up a pen with a rug for her, giving her a lot more room than previously. We could even have her come out and wander around the house during supervised playtimes. At first, she came out pretty often, but now she just sits around and we can't even lure her out with food - she'll just bite off what she can and run back into her cage. What can we do?

Some backstory:

We adopted Nanners from a rabbit rescue about 9 Months ago. She's 5 years old, a holland lop. At our first home, we had a petco cage, and we would open the door and let her roam around when we could. When my girlfriend moved home this summer, that rabbit was much more secluded. She didn't like coming out of her cage. We suspect a few different reasons. There were cats in the house, but Nanners never really seemed to care if they came by (she tried to keep them out of her room, and did, for the most part). Nanners also didn't seem to like the hardwood floors.

The new house does have hardwood floors, but that didn't stop the rabbit at first. We would sometimes set out a little bowl of vegetables or pellets about 15 feet from her cage, and Nanners would come eat with us while we watched TV. Now, we can't even lure her out out oats, lettuce, or any of her favorites.

Edit: her cage setup also has a little shelter for her, so she has a hideaway, though she rarely uses it.

What's up with this bunny?

Try putting down some area rugs. Rabbits hate hardwood floors. Bitsy and Paterson will be like little turtles and stretch out to reach something from their cage, grab the end and retract back into the cage if they don't feel like they have steady ground. When they have carpets they're much happier.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Try putting down some area rugs. Rabbits hate hardwood floors.

This. We have hardwood floors in all of our house except in our two smaller bedrooms and Cilantro has a definite preference of sitting on a rug instead of the bare floor. If she follows one of us into the kitchen, she'll sit on the small rug we have in front of the sink.

Of course, the flooring doesn't stop her from sneaking into the master bedroom and getting under our bed with every chance she gets. :3:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Behavioral changes can be a sign of illness and a vet visit to rule that would be the first order of business. Do you weigh her regularly? If not, you should be - a weight change can be the first sign that something's wrong. Tooth problems and bladder sludge would be the first things the vet should rule out.

If her weight hasn't changed and she's still pooping the same and eating normally while in the cage:

First, seconding the others about covering the hardwood. I like using the big industrial floor mats like this because they don't move around and because there's no pile, which tends to discourage chewing.

Second, does she still have the petco cage? Does it have the door that opens downward like this? If so, maybe she pinched a toe coming in or out of the cage and is now afraid of the door. Take some pliers and remove the door, then re-hang it so that the hinges are the top and she doesn't have to step over that door to enter/exit. You can also put a cinderbrick in front of the door so she sees that she has a nice landing area to hop onto.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Wow, thanks for the fast replies.

She's been eating and pooping the same for this entire time. She's been completely normal otherwise, to at least to our attention. We do hope to take her to the vet soon, though.

Maybe we'll try some rugs for her. Thansk all! I'll update after a vet/rug trip (soon hopefully).

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

WrongWay Feldman posted:

She's been eating and pooping the same for this entire time. She's been completely normal otherwise, to at least to our attention. We do hope to take her to the vet soon, though.

Make sure you have a phone number for a vet and an emergency animal hospital BOTH that specialize in rabbits. They go downhill fast enough that you don't just want to hope to take her in soon -- you have to be able to take her in soon if need be.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Sunday is International Rabbit Day!

HRS posted:

International Rabbit Day is an international day which promotes the protection and care of rabbits both domestic and wild. International Rabbit Day is held on the fourth Saturday or Sunday of September; in 2010 it will be held on September 26.

Here's an event I made on Facebook, feel free to invite anyone you know who loves buns!

Jhael
Apr 8, 2005
Snap.
Hi everyone!
I have a question about spaying/neutering. Much to my horror, lately my adorable netherland dwarf has completely abandoned her once-immaculate litter habits in favour of pooping strategically all over the floor. I've read that this is a way for buns to 'mark their territory'. Recently she's also taken to rubbing the underside of her chin on absolutely everything (marking scent, correct?)
Anywho, I was optimistically (and erroneously) thinking that her period of sexual maturity had come and gone with no behavioral changes. She's 10 months old, I figured any bunny-heat would have come sooner, but clearly I misjudged that. Luckily, she's still being as ridiculously friendly as ever, isn't spraying, biting, etc, but it's still clear that she needs to be spayed. I'd also like to get her a companion from a shelter so she isn't so alone, which obviously I can't do until she's fixed.

So out of curiosity, (for those who didn't obtain their buns in a post-altered state) roughly how much did you folks pay to have your buns spayed/neutered? I've called around to quite a few vets in my area (around Toronto) and all quotes for a spay have been between $430-550CND! Woaaah! Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Jhael posted:

Hi everyone!
I have a question about spaying/neutering. Much to my horror, lately my adorable netherland dwarf has completely abandoned her once-immaculate litter habits in favour of pooping strategically all over the floor. I've read that this is a way for buns to 'mark their territory'. Recently she's also taken to rubbing the underside of her chin on absolutely everything (marking scent, correct?)
Anywho, I was optimistically (and erroneously) thinking that her period of sexual maturity had come and gone with no behavioral changes. She's 10 months old, I figured any bunny-heat would have come sooner, but clearly I misjudged that. Luckily, she's still being as ridiculously friendly as ever, isn't spraying, biting, etc, but it's still clear that she needs to be spayed. I'd also like to get her a companion from a shelter so she isn't so alone, which obviously I can't do until she's fixed.

So out of curiosity, (for those who didn't obtain their buns in a post-altered state) roughly how much did you folks pay to have your buns spayed/neutered? I've called around to quite a few vets in my area (around Toronto) and all quotes for a spay have been between $430-550CND! Woaaah! Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Cilantro was spayed by our local House Rabbit recommended vet for approximately $300 USD.

Have you checked with these vets? http://torontorabbits.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/3/

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Jhael posted:

Where do you live? Toronto? If you do, check out Animal Clinic of High Park. It's where I go. They're incredibly friendly. Their prices are high and they try to get you to do every test that is possible if you let them but if you know your stuff you can say yes or no to whatever you want and not worry about the rest.

As silly as it sounds, check out Bunspace. I found a lot of info about vets in the GTA through there.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro was spayed by our local House Rabbit recommended vet for approximately $300 USD.

Have you checked with these vets? http://torontorabbits.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/3/

Also check the Toronto listings here. And don't hesitate to call the Ontario HRS and ask if they can specifically recommend a low-cost vet.

$400-500 US is not uncommon for a high end vet. My vet's closer to $200 but his setup is pretty ghetto - I've taken home rabbits still half anesthetized, before.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

alucinor posted:

Also check the Toronto listings here. And don't hesitate to call the Ontario HRS and ask if they can specifically recommend a low-cost vet.

$400-500 US is not uncommon for a high end vet. My vet's closer to $200 but his setup is pretty ghetto - I've taken home rabbits still half anesthetized, before.

I go to Animal Hospital of High Park and they are really great. Like I said though, they will add a whole bunch of things on that aren't necessary for that visit so you have to know your stuff and be ready to hold your ground. I have gotten estimates that are 1200$ from them before but have only paid 500$ for that visit because they didn't need parasite testing, three x-rays and bloodwork done when I knew that one of them was in GI stasis.

On Bunspace there are a lot of comments about them being very posh and sometimes rude. While I have never experienced them being rude, they are posh and like I said will try to upgrade your treatment. People on Bunspace seem to like Links Road Animal Clinic more because it's cheaper and friendlier. It's way too far for me to take my ribbies though since I don't have a car... we're talking an hour on TTC both ways or 40$ by cab.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SAMe's spay was only $90, but that was at the second place I visited. The first place quoted about $450 :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

luscious posted:

Try putting down some area rugs. Rabbits hate hardwood floors. Bitsy and Paterson will be like little turtles and stretch out to reach something from their cage, grab the end and retract back into the cage if they don't feel like they have steady ground. When they have carpets they're much happier.

When I first found my bunny (laying in the gutter in Queens!)I was living in a place with hardwood floors, and he got pretty used to them and didn't have a problem getting around.

Then I moved to a bunch of places with carpet and now he won't set foot on anything that is smooth (tile, linoleum, wood, etc). It's like he discovered the good life and was like "gently caress it, I'm never leaving"

And he's gotten older and is probably grumpier

Jhael posted:

Recently she's also taken to rubbing the underside of her chin on absolutely everything (marking scent, correct?)

My bunny does this all the time and he's been neutered a long time. Maybe has something to do with other animals in the house

And yeah, spaying for bunnies seems ridiculously expensive

Jhael
Apr 8, 2005
Snap.
Wowww, thank you guys so much for all the fast and helpful responses! I already called a lot of the vets listed on those sites, but I will keep searching. I also emailed the Ontario Rabbit Education Organization and RabbitRescue.ca if they knew of more affordable vets, they both gave me lists and a ton of helpful advice for how to pick a saavy vet. It's clear that rabbit lovers are the best and most helpful people in the world. :3

Ultimately if I can't find something more affordable, I'll obviously just be shelling out however much I have to. But it was nice to see that several hundred is standard for a spay, and I wasn't just being taken for a ride there, so thanks everyone for the info everyone. :)

luscious posted:

Where do you live? Toronto? If you do, check out Animal Clinic of High Park. It's where I go. They're incredibly friendly. Their prices are high and they try to get you to do every test that is possible if you let them but if you know your stuff you can say yes or no to whatever you want and not worry about the rest.

As silly as it sounds, check out Bunspace. I found a lot of info about vets in the GTA through there.

Hello fellow GTA goon! I'm in Oakville. I'd be taking the TTC/public transit the same as you, but it's good to see you've found it to be doable as well! Have you taken your rabbit on the GoTrain or anything ever? Or do you usually take a taxi? Any time I've had to take mine to the vet it's been taxi, I've been too afraid to take her on busses or anything in case she starts wigging out.

Your experience with the Animal Hospital of High Park sounds a lot like mine at the Oakville Animal Clinic. I brought Pica in for an obvious case of GI stasis; they wanted to do x-rays, parasite tests, have her brought in multiple times over the course of several weeks 'just to be sure'. I took her home with critical care and 2 weeks of antibiotics and made she incredibly rapid recovery on that alone. I ended up paying $250 where they wanted to charge me $700! Incredible how some vets will try to abuse ignorant pet owners! A little knowledge sure goes a long way.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Jhael posted:

Your experience with the Animal Hospital of High Park sounds a lot like mine at the Oakville Animal Clinic. I brought Pica in for an obvious case of GI stasis; they wanted to do x-rays, parasite tests, have her brought in multiple times over the course of several weeks 'just to be sure'. I took her home with critical care and 2 weeks of antibiotics and made she incredibly rapid recovery on that alone. I ended up paying $250 where they wanted to charge me $700! Incredible how some vets will try to abuse ignorant pet owners! A little knowledge sure goes a long way.

ooooooh man! When Paterson got reallllly far into GI Stasis (his temperature was dropping because he was going into shock) my mom took him in because I had to work. I was freaking out but seriously was on the phone with my mom and the doctors the whole time he was being examined.

Poor Paterson. He had to be admitted to the hospital for 2 days and my mom agreed to everything on the treatment menu. She came to my work to drive me home and said "I paid for the first thousand... the rest is up to you." I'm pretty sure that my expression went to this :aaaaa:

I went to pick him up two days later. He was doing way better but still needed like, four medications, three times daily as well as whatever else we had to do. I had to pay about 800$ on top of the G that my mom dropped. And then he got the snuffles and then he went back into GI stasis. He literally ate my savings. Those visits weren't as expensive though because I knew what I was talking about and knew that I could say no to them about some things. Not that I blame my mom, but just WOW.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I was sitting in my desk chair reading my usual morning SA subscribed threads when Cilantro came over and laid on top of my foot. It was the warmest, fuzziest thing I've felt in my life. :3:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

I was sitting in my desk chair reading my usual morning SA subscribed threads when Cilantro came over and laid on top of my foot. It was the warmest, fuzziest thing I've felt in my life. :3:

:3: :3: :3:

I love Cilantro so much. Mine aren't allowed upstairs anymore so I guess I can't have warm feet :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

:3: :3: :3:

I love Cilantro so much. Mine aren't allowed upstairs anymore so I guess I can't have warm feet :(

I'm pretty sure it was a gentle reminder that she hadn't gotten her breakfast yet and it was almost 8 AM!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a gentle reminder that she hadn't gotten her breakfast yet and it was almost 8 AM!

Drama Queen rabbits are my favourite. Bitsy will not hesitate to dig my feet and try to eat my pants if she hasn't been fed in like, 2 hours.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Drama Queen rabbits are my favourite. Bitsy will not hesitate to dig my feet and try to eat my pants if she hasn't been fed in like, 2 hours.

Cilantro will hop over to her plate and sniff it. Then maybe lick it to get that last tiny minuscule bit of cilantro and parsley flavor off the surface of the dish. Or she'll sit in front of the TV and follow anyone and everyone who walks into the kitchen where she'll sit patiently on the mat in front of the sink and wait for cilantro, parsley, pellets, or any mixture of the previously mentioned non-hay items.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro will hop over to her plate and sniff it. Then maybe lick it to get that last tiny minuscule bit of cilantro and parsley flavor off the surface of the dish. Or she'll sit in front of the TV and follow anyone and everyone who walks into the kitchen where she'll sit patiently on the mat in front of the sink and wait for cilantro, parsley, pellets, or any mixture of the previously mentioned non-hay items.

yeah, Patereson looooooooooves to throw around his food bowl. Usually he goes over all dramatic and does the sniffing and licking. Then he picks it up in his mouth, throws it around all noisy, steps in it a few times and THEN flips it over. Of course, he does all that when there's food in it too.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
New images!

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Happy International Bunday, everyone!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Thanks for the help with Nanners - my girlfriend bought a rug and it's like we have a whole new rabbit. Even though the rug is just a small area outside of her cage, Nanners is really willing to go out further now. As I'm writing this, she hopped around under my chair, and now is across the room near my aquarium.

Here's our happy bunny:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I'm glad she adjusted :)

I make mine tough it out on the hardwood but it took them 3 months to get used to it. Ender is too much of an explorer to stay near the cage and Portia just follows him.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Thanks for the help with Nanners - my girlfriend bought a rug and it's like we have a whole new rabbit. Even though the rug is just a small area outside of her cage, Nanners is really willing to go out further now. As I'm writing this, she hopped around under my chair, and now is across the room near my aquarium.

Here's our happy bunny:

The rug in this picture came from Ikea:

We got two of them for our living room. One has the coffee table on it and the other is Cilantro's lounge. In our hallways, we have two small rugs that Cilantro uses as launchpads. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Here's our happy bunny:

What a super cute fat bunny!!

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I have had that picture open in Firefox for the last couple days now, because every time I see it I just get a huge grin on my face. I love how fat that bun is and s/he is so goddamn cute because of that! You can tell s/he knows it too!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

He kind of reminds me of my German lop Paterson:

edit: different angle.

luscious fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 2, 2010

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I hate the water bottles my bunnies have. They're plastic whatever-was-cheap-at-PetSmart ones that leak. Then, my rabbits kick turds over close to the water bottles, and the water bottles leak on the turds, and then we all have a grand old time.

I've tried water bowls, but they love getting hay and fur in them, and inevitably one of my geniuses winds up jumping directly into the bowl, splashes water everywhere, and then tries to hop on me. Thanks, bunny, love you too.

Can one of you recommend a really good water bottle? Like, top of the line, no leak, catalac of water bottles? If it's BPA free or metal, that's like a super bonus.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
We looked into this bottle for our rabbit: http://www.ruralking.com/bottle-water-rabbit-easy-top-fill.html

You can't tell from the picture, but it uses a different method of getting the water out than other water bottles. Instead of having a bearing in the tube, it has a long little peg that goes to a rubber seal thingy in the back of the spout. Moving the peg around makes the rubber flex and water comes out. It never, ever leaked.

The problem was that our bunny didn't really get it. After she refused to use it for a day, (even after us trying things like putting food on the tip so she would nudge it when she ate) we went back to the old bottle with a bearing in it. Also, it's still mostly plastic, too.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

WrongWay Feldman posted:

We looked into this bottle for our rabbit: http://www.ruralking.com/bottle-water-rabbit-easy-top-fill.html

You can't tell from the picture, but it uses a different method of getting the water out than other water bottles. Instead of having a bearing in the tube, it has a long little peg that goes to a rubber seal thingy in the back of the spout. Moving the peg around makes the rubber flex and water comes out. It never, ever leaked.

The problem was that our bunny didn't really get it. After she refused to use it for a day, (even after us trying things like putting food on the tip so she would nudge it when she ate) we went back to the old bottle with a bearing in it. Also, it's still mostly plastic, too.

I use this bottle and rather like it. I haven't had a problem using it for bunnies, rats and other larger small animals. Alternatively, you can go back to a water bowl but mount it up on the side of the cage/pen so that it is less likely to accumulate debris; check out crate bowls for dogs or the stainless steel bold mounted bird cage bowls if this sounds good to you.

Edit: Look!! Bunnies! Principal Onyx Blackbun got neutered a few days ago. Chuck Nibblet will be spayed in about a month or so and then they will be up for adoption! They are so sweet and playful; it is amazing that they were feral when they came to me.

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 4, 2010

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I always hoped I'd never have to say this, but my poor bunny died this morning.

This is after we shaved him in the middle of the summer. Being an angora he was way too hot during the heat wave.

He wasn't sick or not pooping or attacked by the cat at all. He was perfectly fine yesterday. This morning my girlfriend says that he was lying down in the kitchen, not unusual, and when she pet him he didn't want to move around much, also not unusual. But then around 10 I got the phone call and raced home.

It's fairly obvious that he broke his own back somehow. Maybe he slipped while trying to run on the kitchen tile or maybe tried to jump on a chair and fell, we'll never know. He was only about a year and a half old so we feel really cheated out of having him around for a full life. Even if we knew he had hurt himself it would have been way too late, but it's still really not fair.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Through The Decade posted:

I always hoped I'd never have to say this, but my poor bunny died this morning.

Goondolences :ohdear:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
:( That's really sad. Bunnies are so strangely fragile sometimes and it always worries me. Mine seems like some kind of superman bunny (well not really, but he's a tough little guy and hasn't had any major problems at all, and he's probably 8-9 years old at this point), but I know he's getting old and I worry he'll go downhill fast or something.

I don't really want to have to deal with losing him, he's been my little buddy for so long now, but I'm really sorry to hear you lost yours after only a year or so :(

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
We got a bunny today!

Click here for the full 800x500 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 1136x852 image.

She's really sweet- the guy at the pet store said she was maybe 4 months old? They said she had been there for a month. She seems really healthy- the pet store had glowing reviews about the health of the animals. The guy at the store lectured me for a solid 5 minutes about not feeding alfalfa, not overfeeding, making sure she doesn't outgrow her cage, etc. Then he gave me a recommendation for a vet. I was pretty impressed. I thought about going with a shelter bunny, but there were only 2 in our county, and they were 3 and 4 years old. I know I'm going to have to think about spaying her in the future but I'm just excited right now.

In the store she had the sweetest personality. She headbutted me and my fiance a few times, then licked his arm to make sure he'd take her home. When we got her home she was scared for awhile so we gave her some alone time. By this evening she was eating a bit of carrot from us. When she was comfortable enough for us to let her out, she was really excited about the traction from the carpet. She did laps around us and got a couple of binkies in! I really love her personality- we just need to name her now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

First of all, congratulations on getting a bunny, you'll probably get :flame: for not getting a shelter bun, just a heads up.

May I direct you to your new Bible.

dopaMEAN posted:

She's really sweet- the guy at the pet store said she was maybe 4 months old? They said she had been there for a month. She seems really healthy- the pet store had glowing reviews about the health of the animals. The guy at the store lectured me for a solid 5 minutes about not feeding alfalfa, not overfeeding, making sure she doesn't outgrow her cage, etc.

If she is really 4 mo. old, she should be on higher calcium hay like alfalfa, that pet store dude is wrong, sorry: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#babies
If you read the next question on that link, you'll see they recommend waning off of alfalfa between 7 mos - 1 year. Pet store dude is correct if he was talking about an adult rabbit.

Overfeeding - you may know this, but I just want to make sure it's clear. This statement is true when referring to pellets, it is NOT true when referring to hay, rabbits should have unlimited hay, all the time (again, not alfalfa only 1 yr+ olds).

quote:

By this evening she was eating a bit of carrot from us.

Carrots, in general, should be more considered as a treat than a food source, due to their high sugar content. It can lead to some health issues (diarrhea) if you regularly feed her them. You should be leaning more towards dark leafy greens, romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, etc.
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

I'm glad you are really enjoying her. If you have space, please look into getting some sort of permanent larger pen set up, a cage is a terrible place for a bunny to spend most of the day. You can make a pen from baby playpens, dog playpens, or build fencing out of wire cube organizers (some rabbits can jump over these).