Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I tried out multiplayer for the first time since getting the game a few months ago. Got invited to join a posse, warped to the leader, he killed me 6 times while I was supposedly helping him with a gang hideout, and I quit.

I went right back to finishing up my 100% on singleplayer. I guess I regret getting the multiplayer DLC now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I tried out multiplayer for the first time since getting the game a few months ago. Got invited to join a posse, warped to the leader, he killed me 6 times while I was supposedly helping him with a gang hideout, and I quit.

I went right back to finishing up my 100% on singleplayer. I guess I regret getting the multiplayer DLC now.

It's just like playing with Concrete_Rage.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

That was a pretty great session. Sorry SirSpaniard and Darth_Brooks; I wasn't in a place where my PS3 could connect to the internet, so I couldn't respond to your friend requests right away. Also explains why I was asking so many questions about the DLC, too. Don't have to worry about that any more, though.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Do you have an X Box or PS3?

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 26, 2010

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Personal anecdotes like this always go both ways. I woke up at 5am this morning because I couldn't sleep so fired up RDR and hopped into advanced co-op with two pubbies. Cut to an hour and a half later, the three of us gold medal all advance co-op challenges and I'm two achievements better and a level up because of it.

MP is a crap shoot, like all games.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I just saw a guy in the horse races with the title "Zombie". How do you get that title?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Holy poo poo multiplayer Liar's Dice is awesome.

Also, for the 'win a full table with max blinds' achievement - what's the maximum blind? Every game I've played in so far has included four idiots who go all in on the first hand, bust out and then generally fishy play among the survivors. Which makes for good money but I have no idea what the max blind is that I need to hit.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

GenoCanSing posted:

I just saw a guy in the horse races with the title "Zombie". How do you get that title?

I got the title after a game of Stronghold. I don't know the exact requirements, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Went into free roam killing players and I was harassing a kid who sounded like a angry midget over voice chat. :p

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My headset is f'd up. Any recommendations for a relatively cheap but worthwhile replacement?

Also, is there no way I can just hear people's voice chat WITHOUT my headset plugged in?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
My guess is that Zombie is unlocked if you get revived a certain amount of times.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Anyone wanna organize some kind of game trade so I can get the new (and maybe old too) DLC? I've got some decent PSN games you could download in exchange. IF you're interested hit me up a PM.

Scarf posted:

My headset is f'd up. Any recommendations for a relatively cheap but worthwhile replacement?

Also, is there no way I can just hear people's voice chat WITHOUT my headset plugged in?

Under accessory options in the XMB menu, you can choose wheteher to output voice chat from your tv or whatever.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

BlindNinja posted:

My guess is that Zombie is unlocked if you get revived a certain amount of times.

Yep - died 18 times in stronghold attack and got it, danke.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well this is fun, my friend went to change characters after we both hit level 50, and when he left the character select area, he spawned in freeroam in the same area. It's that area north of Blackwater above the ridge. It has the torches still there but no wagons and tents with people on them or the mounts. We've been exploring the area and even when i fell in the river it spawned me back up here. There are fun glitches like hills with no clipping so you walk through them, holes in the ground where to fall and respawn back on land, and a bunch of rocks that when you walk over them they make a splashing sound like you're walking in water.

Edit: just sent some ps3 invites if people wanna check it out

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

I'd get a wireless earpiece so you can keep your neat hat on.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Just finished the single player story. Probably one of the best endings to a game in a long while; wraps up the story neatly while leaving room for a sequel. I really enjoyed the game as a whole.

I wonder if we'll be able to play the zombie DLC as Jack? I know a lot of people don't like him as a character, but I find him a neat opposite to his father.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Didn't realize how badly I would need the Liars and Cheats DLC. Almost everything i've come across so far in Free Roam requires it.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Didn't realize how badly I would need the Liars and Cheats DLC. Almost everything i've come across so far in Free Roam requires it.

Yeah, it annoyed me how blatant it was with what was basically in game advertising saying 'want this? buy it!'. It wouldn't have bothered me too much, had it not happened before it was even on the PSN store. It was sitting there, rubbing in the fact I didn't have it, and couldn't buy it yet.

(quit rubbing it in, jerks. :arghfist::mad:)

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 27, 2010

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma

co199 posted:

Just finished the single player story. Probably one of the best endings to a game in a long while; wraps up the story neatly while leaving room for a sequel.

I would prefer a prequel myself. Like 100 years earlier prequel.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

A good boy posted:

I'd rather take a 3 year prequel :cry:

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

This link should clear everything up:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907595#Solution4

I'm kind of disappointed that while you were on the raft in "The River" shouting about whores as Dutch you couldn't hear me talking about how much I hate cougars.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
I just picked this up again, and to make it a little different I'm playing without the mini-map in the corner. It's crazy how much more immersive it is like this.

There's loads of little things, like how I'm learning trails and landmarks to find my way around without checking the map every 30 seconds. Listening to the horse and getting a feel for how hard you can push it instead of just watching the little bar, sticking behind cover and keeping a constant eye out for where enemies are during a firefight. I was about to go do the Pike's Basin mission with the Marshal when a storm came in. I straight away thought hold up, it'll be hard to see the bandits in this weather, better just rest until it passes.

Plus having no hud on screen just makes the game look great.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A Quiet American posted:

This link should clear everything up:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907595#Solution4

I'm kind of disappointed that while you were on the raft in "The River" shouting about whores as Dutch you couldn't hear me talking about how much I hate cougars.

Yeah, it was intermittent. Sometimes I could hear you guys, sometimes I couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if my headset just crapped out altogether. It's one of the old first-gen ones with the bulky connection thingy.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

Yeah, it was intermittent. Sometimes I could hear you guys, sometimes I couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if my headset just crapped out altogether. It's one of the old first-gen ones with the bulky connection thingy.
I picked up my Xbox in 2007 and had the headset die quite recently. The problem I had was that the connection near the puck was messed up, so I could transmit fine but could only hear people intermittently. No matter how I moved the wire or taped it up I couldn't seem to get a solid connection. For the record, we could hear your mic transmitting sounds from your TV, but we weren't sure if you were talking.

I went out and picked up a Turtle Beach X11 headset recently. I really like it, but on the downside you look equal parts Russian cosmonaut/biggest nerd who ever lived while wearing it. I think I got it for like $45 on Amazon, but the price appears to have gone up to $52.

I spent a ton of time this weekend grinding Pike's Basin and still didn't get past the first prestige. :negative:

edit: grammars

A Quiet American fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 27, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A Quiet American posted:

I picked up my Xbox in 2007 and had the headset die quite recently. The problem I had was that the connection near the puck was messed up, so I could transmit fine but could only hear people intermittently. No matter how I moved the wire or taped it up I couldn't seem to get a solid connection. For the record, we could hear your mic transmitting sounds from your TV, but we weren't sure if you were talking.

I went out and picked up a Turtle Beach X11 headset recently. I really like it, but on the downside you look equal parts Russian cosmonaut/biggest nerd who ever lived while wearing it. I think I got it for like $45 on Amazon, but the price appears to have gone up to $52.

I spent ton of time this weekend grinding Pike's Basin and still didn't get past the first prestige. :negative:

Oh weird. Yeah, it would transmit because I tested it with a voice-message to a friend. Hmm, I guess for the time being I can just tell it to do playback through my TV and I can still talk while playing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Tokubetsu posted:

Did only a few people get the new DLC on 360? I tried to play a stronghold game earlier and it was 3 v 2 =/

A lot of 360 players are all over Halo: Reach at the moment. I was on all weekend though taking advantage of the double XP, mostly playing the co-op missions because that's still the most fun multiplayer RDR for me.

The double XP was great, too. Got from 45 to 50 finally, and then went Legendary and got all the way back up to 26.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

A good boy posted:

I think 1811 would be a little too early, but maybe a prequel somewhere in the late 1870s, early 1880s? That way you could incorporate the James-Dalton Gang, the shootout at OK corral, etc, etc.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ yeah I don't think I'd want a prequel that pre-dates the Colt revolver.

shadok posted:

A lot of 360 players are all over Halo: Reach at the moment. I was on all weekend though taking advantage of the double XP, mostly playing the co-op missions because that's still the most fun multiplayer RDR for me.

The double XP was great, too. Got from 45 to 50 finally, and then went Legendary and got all the way back up to 26.

Yeah this was a lot of fun although it got a bit poopsocky after a while. I think I started the weekend at 37 and made it past 50 back to 19 legendary. I lingered on 50 for about an hour before I realized you can't actually ride Bonzo around on a free mode server or every rear end in a top hat with a gun will just chase after you trying to murder you and steal it. Seemed like a lot of the PS3 people had the DLC though, and I enjoyed playing as Nigel West Dickens.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 27, 2010

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I require more double XP weekends. There's bound to be one after they release Undead Nightmare, but if they don't do at least a couple more I will never have a zonkey to call my own.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I didn't reset after I hit 50 because I didn't want to completely redo some of the challenges I haven't finished yet, mainly killing 25 public enemies (so close!) and traveling 150 miles on horseback.

Which means there better be some drat double XP weekends later on! :argh:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I got from level 24 to 44 just killing cougars. It felt pretty cheap, though, and it sure was a grind. I'm not sure I can stand to level up to 50 without the double XP, and I sure as hell can't do this repeatedly to get the zonkey.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The thing about the travel 300 miles on horseback (that's the one I'm missing, not 150 miles) is that I'd literally have to traverse the map about 20 times to complete it with no purpose other than getting that stupid title. And yet I still held off hitting Legend.

Maybe I should just stop chasing titles and just play for experience and worry about the challenges later, I dunno. I'm still waiting for them to add an achievement for 5x Legend and loving with my OCD even more.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Peas and Rice posted:

Maybe I should just stop chasing titles and just play for experience and worry about the challenges later, I dunno. I'm still waiting for them to add an achievement for 5x Legend and loving with my OCD even more.

Isn't it more important to be OCD about the things that other people can see though? I mean what good is getting the Weed Wacker title unless you actually select it and show it to everyone. The problem is you can only ever use one title are a time, but EVERYONE can see that you're not 3rd Legendary level by now and you really should be. With double-xp weekend over you're just going to have to play twice as much to catch up!

This game has really opened my eyes to the whole carrot on a stick mmo poopsocking mentality. I understand both the feeling of accomplishment from completing tasks, and also the completely arbitrary uselessness of "have a higher number show before your name, hurr" It was the easiest thing in the world for me to not give a poo poo about, until they went and threw it in the GTA engine.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

davebo posted:

This game has really opened my eyes to the whole carrot on a stick mmo poopsocking mentality. I understand both the feeling of accomplishment from completing tasks, and also the completely arbitrary uselessness of "have a higher number show before your name, hurr" It was the easiest thing in the world for me to not give a poo poo about, until they went and threw it in the GTA engine.

On top of that, they put it in my absolute favorite setting, which is Old West / cowboys. I was just thinking last night that I would not mind a cattle herding side job. A lot of people didn't like those missions, but it was relaxing for me and I would never stop playing the game if they put one in.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

davebo posted:

Isn't it more important to be OCD about the things that other people can see though? I mean what good is getting the Weed Wacker title unless you actually select it and show it to everyone. The problem is you can only ever use one title are a time, but EVERYONE can see that you're not 3rd Legendary level by now and you really should be. With double-xp weekend over you're just going to have to play twice as much to catch up!

This is the future of gaming. Exploiting our reward centers to keep us grinding away into eternity, purchasing every DLC and praying for just one more double XP weekend.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm sticking with the Title of "Dude" out of respect for The Dude.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

davebo posted:

Ugh, the thing is you're absolutely right. I'll never use the loving title from traveling 300 miles by horseback but by God my zebra donkey will clearly kick rear end.

I do want the wild bunch / motley crew titles though, and it wouldn't be hard to get if I get find a posse who's worth a drat.

E: The poopsocking mentality is exactly why I don't play MMOs anymore, and it's lucky that my wife has been so understanding about my RDR poopsocking so far.

E2: \/\/\/ I swear I get a little bit of a rush every time I hear that loving achievement sound. I'm like Pavlov's dog.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 27, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

A Quiet American posted:

This is the future of gaming. Exploiting our reward centers to keep us grinding away into eternity, purchasing every DLC and praying for just one more double XP weekend.
It's like that old Star Trek:TNG episode where everyone is playing this stupid game you wear as a headset where balls just fall into holes and it makes your brain release endorphins so you keep playing until they found out it was some alien race trying to turn the humans into slaves or something. I guess I'd be more inclined to go for a zonkey if RDR was a wearable headset that just overlaid a translucent game world on top of my normal vision.

Edit: Most of the time I've played I've used either the Weed Wacker title or Half-a-Baby. I know weed wacker was probably from collecting flowers, but I have no idea how I got Half-a-Baby. Anyone know which challenge that is? I did switch to Zombie recently when someone mentioned it in the thread.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 27, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

I have no idea how I got Half-a-Baby. Anyone know which challenge that is? I did switch to Zombie recently when someone mentioned it in the thread.

It's for completing the Solomon's Folly hideout (making it PS3 exclusive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It might just be a glitch, but if I'm playing multiplayer as Edgar Ross, auto-target won't work on anyone as John Marston or the other way around. :haw:

• Locked thread