Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

icicle bob posted:

Heard this mix on Triple J in its entirety earlier this year: Acceptable in the 80s: 88mph Stolen Plutonium Megamixxx
It's eighties themed and features lots of robots and time travelling themes and samples from films and interviews, and it is fun as. It's only 40 megabytes download, so you may as well do yourself the favour.

Thanks for this. It is all over the place and completely random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Don't think anyone posted about the new DJ Car Stereo (Wars) up for download, but it's pretty solid listening so far:

http://www.artifactworkshop.com/bands/dj-car-stereo-wars/

I liked "The Bandit", but "Explains It All" is really getting it done for me.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, that's cool. I really liked The Bandit. I swear you used to have to pay for it, too. I'd highly recommend people who watch this thread jump on this.

Yeah, Explains it All is great. The Bandit was too. People should get both of them.

All the song titles on Explains it All (and the album) are takes on old Nickelodeon shows. Between that and the logo Super Mash Bros use lately these bands sure are mining that nostalgia vein. It's just titles though; I haven't noticed anything in the music.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2010

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Yeah, I bought The Bandit back when it was only available as a mailorder CD from that label. Pretty cool that they've opened both up for free download, and hopefully this gives a good artist some added recognition - seemed like Car Stereo (Wars) was a little less known than their quality warranted.

I even donated a fiver as a thank you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for those links. A lot of the same music is reused in mash-up. Which isn't a bad thing. I like it so far.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
http://www.thesixtyone.com/s/zN5rIJihgSd/

Bearbot needs more love. She's fantastic live and gives hugs to everyone who asks!
She does some great Justice mashups as well, which are the other most hearted songs on this site.

lowphat_strawberry
Jul 31, 2009
I just came back from the Super Mash Bros in New York City, and holy poo poo that was probably the most fun I've ever had. If anyone ever has the opportunity to see them, I'd say go for it. And they don't just play the stuff from their albums too, they play tons of new material, all of which was amazing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

BrainDance posted:

No, I think the album is actually bad. You can't just dismiss someone's view of an album by saying "oh you just don't get *genre*" That's unbelievably pretentious, almost as bad as actually using the label IDM (no one self identifies as that, it's nearly the most hated label in electronic music.)
I'm a breakcore musician, I know quite well :)

quote:

You can like it but don't act like you have a superior ear and people who think it's terrible just don't "get it"
I don't like it at all. I'm just saying, let's say you heard some Coltrane for the first time and said "What is this guy doing!??! He keeps hitting sour notes!" That'd be pretty cleary not getting it, right? If you HATED, LOATHED Charlie Parker, thought his output was poo poo because it sounded crazy, wouldn't you call that hatred misplaced? That's all I'm saying. You can not enjoy it, that's all good. But to despise that Girl Talk album for being too random is like hating The Kinks for being too distorted, The Ramones for being to simplistic or the sun for shining.

e: I thought about this a lot last night, and I guess you're right. If you don't like something, that's about all that's needed to call it lovely. I think it's a silly way of looking at stuff, and that "you don't get it" is a real defense (even if its misused most of the time), but I respect your opinion.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 3, 2010

cragga
Dec 24, 2006
<3
I've found some more fun stuff in the last few days, http://www.reddit.com/r/mashups/ has a fair bit of good stuff (and crap) buried in it.

http://www.waitwhatmusic.com/files/tirl.html

This cd by wait what is also pretty drat good, alot of standard rap stuff mashed with some less standard songs. He did a cd of biggy mashed with The XX's cd, but that was pulled of obvious reasons though anyone with some knowhow should be able to find it. Go download it all now!

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
A pretty awesome little docu about Girl Talks Chicago NYE show at the end of last year was released this weekend...

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2527-girl-talk-nye-chicago/

I had no idea that they put in so much effort for the show. I mean the house they built is awesome! I'm in the UK but if he announces another Chicago NYE show I'll be hugely tempted to get tickets and fly over for a few nights.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

So, uh, Milkman has just dropped his first single from his upcoming album. If this is representative of the entire album, I am going to be so insanely in love with it words cannot describe it. I had a huge, poo poo-eating grin on my face for the entire track.

He is so goddamn smooth and seamless with his transitions.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, that's really good. Milkman is really good. Thanks for the news.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
that was pretty sick, any idea when the cd is going to be released?

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

Nam Taf posted:

So, uh, Milkman has just dropped his first single from his upcoming album. If this is representative of the entire album, I am going to be so insanely in love with it words cannot describe it. I had a huge, poo poo-eating grin on my face for the entire track.

:drat:

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Ludachrist's Pon De Foley will be in DJ Hero 2, however it will be credited to Diplo and the 'Christ will only be recieving a mention in the liner notes of the manual. The youtube video is here.

Says Diplo in the youtube comments:
"Hey guys! Should i give ludachrist my mechanicle royalties for writing the original? It will probably amount to a couple grand. And they are credited in the liner of the game i guess just not the youtube. Do any of u guys think their are legal rights to mashups? Does anyone want to take this outside and have a word. Maybe we can have a six shooter pistol duel"

"Djhero licensed the rights to these two song from my label.. If i didnt do the mix they would have asked someone else, as its one that they wanted to feature. They asked me to bne a pary because they consider me a draw for dj fans. Does this make sense? Does anyone on here want to take me out to dinner?"

Use them royalties on spelling lessons, man.

Says Ludachrist:
"@diplo1978 i think the reason why people are gettin upset is because they can relate to the situation. heres the point: tons of kids are gonna play this game and only the nerd reading the liner notes will know we came up with the idea, you feel me? you'd be just as bummed about it as anyone else if that happened to u..."

"@diplo1978 its nice to find out, albeit after the fact, that we are getting some sort of recognition in the liner notes. woulda been cooler if we got some props in the game. or at the very least if someone hit us up about it so we didnt have to find out about it on youtube...you know, out of respect...

at the very least, that just seems like the right thing to do."

"anyway, thanks to all the ludachrist supporters, you know we got a new album, the release date is gonna be tenetively Oct 31st. Halloween :)

ps. I'm sure harold faltermeyer would make us all "lick eachothers bootyholes and talk about mashups" if he found out about this."

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Thats pretty poo poo for Ludachrist and I hope they get at least some money/recognition out of it, but news of the Second Coming next month is fantastic. It has been too long and I can't wait.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh man now I am kind of bummed I never picked up a dj hero set when they were going for super cheap on that best buy auction site. Might still pick it up for this though.

poo poo situation, I hope Ludachrist gets some type of loyalties out of this. I don't even know who diplo is. How did they choose to credit Diplo over ludachrist anyway?

Is there a reason to wait for dj hero 2 controller to come out, or will I be fine with the first controller?

Ah well, new cd coming out, new milkman coming out. Can't fuckin wait.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 26, 2010

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Diplo is actually one half of Major Lazer, so he actually does have copyright to do whatever he wants with Pod De Floor, it's just a little unfair, that's all.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

icicle bob posted:

Diplo is actually one half of Major Lazer, so he actually does have copyright to do whatever he wants with Pod De Floor, it's just a little unfair, that's all.

I never heard the original or what ludachrist sampled from. Is it pretty much that Diplo made a song, and ludachrist remixed/mashed it up with something else. They used that remix/mashup and credited diplo?

Edit:oh I get it. dj hero 2 allows you to mash up pound the floor with Axel F. Pretty much what ludachrist did, but not crediting them with the idea. Is this right?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 27, 2010

cragga
Dec 24, 2006
<3

icicle bob posted:

Definitely very unfair to Ludachrist, a very good example of what people making music in this genre might have to deal with in the future though, people who own the rights taking your ideas without a drat thing you can do about it in reality, sad really, because I love Ludachrist's music and I really enjoy DJ Hero as well.

Edit; and Diplo sounds like an illiterate douchebag.

cragga fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 27, 2010

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Can you even buy Ludachrist/Girl Talk/Milkman/etc stuff on itunes/retail in the states? I never see them here.

It certainly sucks for the mashup artists though. All arguments aside on how much skill it takes/ARE THEY REALLY ARTISTS they are at the very least DJs and lovely sample laws aside you shouldn't be able to just snap up their mix and claim it as yours.

That said if they are technically not allowed to 'sell' what they are making then it might be somewhat of a grey area anyway... which is lovely. I would've thought the DJ hero team would try and avoid controversy like this anyway... I mean loving send a courtesy note in, that game is bringing more attention to mashups anyway I'm sure they'd love the attention.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

teacup posted:

It certainly sucks for the mashup artists though. All arguments aside on how much skill it takes/ARE THEY REALLY ARTISTS they are at the very least DJs and lovely sample laws aside you shouldn't be able to just snap up their mix and claim it as yours.

Shouldn't that work the other way, too? It's Diplo's song and Ludachrist's idea, but this isn't really an idea game, it's a music game. Why should Diplo lose all rights to his stuff because someone else did something with it?

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

teacup posted:

Can you even buy Ludachrist/Girl Talk/Milkman/etc stuff on itunes/retail in the states? I never see them here.

That said if they are technically not allowed to 'sell' what they are making then it might be somewhat of a grey area anyway... which is lovely. I would've thought the DJ hero team would try and avoid controversy like this anyway... I mean loving send a courtesy note in, that game is bringing more attention to mashups anyway I'm sure they'd love the attention.

many of them sneak around the laws by doing a radiohead-esque "pay what you want" system, which is a legal gray area in the sense that there hasn't been a test case involving any of those artists. Girl Talk had night ripper in a few retail chains for a hot second, but they all took it off the shelf after one of the big three labels threatened to sue. It's presumed that most of the labels don't approach the heavy sample artists with lawsuits because they have a pretty solid defense in the fair use act, but based on recent federal rulings, it's difficult to say how well mash-up artists would fair against serious litigation.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Shouldn't that work the other way, too? It's Diplo's song and Ludachrist's idea, but this isn't really an idea game, it's a music game. Why should Diplo lose all rights to his stuff because someone else did something with it?

Diplo shouldn't lose the rights, but I mean let's say I'm a big producer or a DJ

a big act releases a hit song

I remix hit song and release it on youtube and myspace for free, or not! whatever. I remixed it though.

Dj hero or guitar hero put that song with my remix in the game but credit it to another person...

how does this make sense? He isn't losing the rights to the songs at all... he is using somebodies elses mix, if he wants a mix of it he can make his own, this doesn't nullify it.

I mean this argument is like oh you can use so and sos cover of that song for free, after all IT'S NOT YOUR SONG

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

I bought Night Ripper at the JB Hifi near my house just the other week. They had one copy of it, one copy of Unstoppable and one of Secret Diary. I keep going back to see if a copy of Feed the Animals has come in, but I'm not confident it will.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

icicle bob posted:

I bought Night Ripper at the JB Hifi near my house just the other week. They had one copy of it, one copy of Unstoppable and one of Secret Diary. I keep going back to see if a copy of Feed the Animals has come in, but I'm not confident it will.

Feed The Animals was not mass-produced, since it was "pay what you want". You can get a CD if you "Donate" at least 10 dollars on the Feed The Animals website. Interestingly enough, you can buy Feed The Animals on the Amazon MP3 store, but not on iTunes.

BTW, I'm not really sure how Australian Copyright law would deal with Girl Talk. Fair dealing is a very rigid doctrine, but one could make the argument that the way Girl Talk uses sampled material qualifies as either parody or satire.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

teacup posted:

I mean this argument is like oh you can use so and sos cover of that song for free, after all IT'S NOT YOUR SONG

Actually, there is a very rigid legal framework surrounding how cover songs are licensed and distributed. Unlike samples, covers only require a statutory mechanical royalty rate to be paid, which is determined by how many minutes of cover tunes you plan on having on a cd and how many copies of the cd you plan on producing.

Meanwhile, samples require a Master Use Rights Agreement, which is the same agreement made when a song is played on a movie, TV show, advertisement, etc. These are exponentially more expensive, cannot be obtained through a licensing agent (The Harry Fox Agency, for instance) and instead must be obtained from the artist/label themselves. Most record labels are not going to renegotiate the Master Use Right to be more affordable for a musician simply because he or she is only using 5 seconds and it will be unrecognizable under the 4 other samples he or she will be using. It's absurd that no one has tried to change the law the better fit modern modes of musical composition...

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2010

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

baberaham lincoln posted:

many of them sneak around the laws by doing a radiohead-esque "pay what you want" system, which is a legal gray area in the sense that there hasn't been a test case involving any of those artists. Girl Talk had night ripper in a few retail chains for a hot second, but they all took it off the shelf after one of the big three labels threatened to sue. It's presumed that most of the labels don't approach the heavy sample artists with lawsuits because they have a pretty solid defense in the fair use act, but based on recent federal rulings, it's difficult to say how well mash-up artists would fair against serious litigation.

It's very easy to find any of Girl Talk's albums in any reasonably-sized Australian music store, major chain or independent.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Nam Taf posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of Milkman. I will be very upset if all of his stuff is not up to par to this recent single. It's insanely good.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Tony Jowns posted:

It's very easy to find any of Girl Talk's albums in any reasonably-sized Australian music store, major chain or independent.

Again, I don't know too much about Australian Copyright law or the Australian legal system, for that matter. I know that Fair Dealing is in no way equivalent with Fair Use, and that in 2006 Australia overhauled its copyright law to better lineup with the U.S'.

The original pressing of Night Ripper was halted because the CD manufacturer claimed that the album constituted infringement, and I remember reading somewhere that the album was removed from Best Buy's (or maybe another major U.S retailer) shelves because they were afraid of legal action being taken against them (aiding and abetting racketeering???). I haven't looked for music at any of the major U.S media dealers (Best Buy, F.Y.E, Boarders, etc) in a long time, but I'm going to guess that you still won't find Girl Talk being stocked.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 28, 2010

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cizzo posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of Milkman. I will be very upset if all of his stuff is not up to par to this recent single. It's insanely good.

Absolutely. Hopefully this is a 45 minute megamix like the Girl Talk albums because I can't get into single track mashups. I'm not into GT as the epitome of DJing or anything but he can turn a long drive into something more enjoyable.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Cizzo posted:

It seems like you can get his first album for free off of his website. DO IT NOW!

I read in Rolling Stone a while ago that Night Ripper was actually released on itunes, but got taken down after about 13 hours and a couple of thousand downloads.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

teacup posted:

Diplo shouldn't lose the rights, but I mean let's say I'm a big producer or a DJ

a big act releases a hit song

I remix hit song and release it on youtube and myspace for free, or not! whatever. I remixed it though.

Dj hero or guitar hero put that song with my remix in the game but credit it to another person...

how does this make sense? He isn't losing the rights to the songs at all... he is using somebodies elses mix, if he wants a mix of it he can make his own, this doesn't nullify it.

But the song still belongs to the original artist. Without that piece of work, there wouldn't be any remixes, because there wouldn't be anything to remix. In this situation, I agree that it's kinda lovely that Ludachrist isn't getting much recognition, but I understand why.

The laws need to be changed so Ludachrist gets rights to and profits from his remix and Diplo gets rights to his original work and some profit from what his work has inspired. That way good remixes are both rewarded and encouraged.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Just found Feed The Animals at a store and picked it up for the retarded price of AU$32. However, the black disc it has is loving cool.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

icicle bob posted:

Just found Feed The Animals at a store and picked it up for the retarded price of AU$32. However, the black disc it has is loving cool.

isn't everything in AUS expensive?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here is a mashup that Ronald Jankees did using just sounds from starcaft. (this is that odd looking but amazing keyboardist on youtube that disappeared for the last year)

http://soundcloud.com/ronaldjenkees/ronald-jenkees-starcraft-sounds

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

I had no idea it was available in JB!! I'm going to have to go find out. I got FtA via the internet purchase which rocked.

Geno posted:

isn't everything in AUS expensive?

Kinda not really. Some stuff is, other stuff is not. Music, however, is INSANELY stupid and in fact Trent Reznor cracked the shits and told an entire Sydney audience to steal his albums because after seeing his album prices (35$ vs $18 for a pop album), freaking out and asking his distributor what the gently caress was going on, they basically said 'they will pay that much because you've got dedicated fans, pop fans are fickle and won't though'.

So yes, music is incredibly expensive here.

Cizzo posted:

Buy Circle of Fifths. It's pretty much just as polished, IMO. Lactose & THC is not quite as polished but it's still bloody good and free so you may as well.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 29, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

edit: double post stupid me

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Nam Taf posted:

Buy Circle of Fifths. It's pretty much just as polished, IMO. Lactose & THC is not quite as polished but it's still bloody good and free so you may as well.

Already ahead of you there.

I don't really see the hype with Girl Talk. I don't really enjoy his mixes as much due to the transitions and just the choices of songs themselves. Admittedly, Unstoppable had some okay songs but anything after that was just meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Ludachrist posted:

TALK IS CHEAP :: 10-31-10
ÜberTwitter • 7/10/10 10:16 AM

gently caress yesssssssss. This is gonna own so hard.