Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
GSX-R definitely, The R6S is kind of meh to me. How the hell did you find an 07 for 4000$ I hate the bay area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I live in the middle of nowhere Connecticut and the market is just as bad. I can't find a drat DRZ400SM for less than $3,500 and those motherfuckers go new for 6,000!

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Thanks for the Input guys I really appreciate it.

Spiffness posted:

I'd check out...
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/1975037433.html
Given its not a shitfest, the ad certainly sucks. 750's are just better than 600's

I have not ridden anything larger than my 250r, not sure I want to make a jump to a 750.

The funny thing about the situation is that I have a truck to sell and if I get a newer bike for this kind of price from selling my current Ninja I would actually come out with more money that the price of this.

I'll email the guy and update you guys if I get it this weekend!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1980054851.html

"have a 636 with 2700miles, original owner I'm 51 so its adult owned, I bought it at goldengate cycles in san francisco, I have all the documents I had all the go fast parts installed at Desmoto, two brothers duel high pipes, chipped and mapped, rear sets to much to mention but it has it all, I got hurt on my 750 at the track and since then have not been riding selling off my bikes for now I need the cash in stead of play time, its a good clean bike come down have a look runs like a top. thanks"

gently caress I want it but don't need it :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ 636 is pretty much the best street 600 ever.

The 750 isn't going to be any better or worse than a 600, really. It'd arguably be better for street use because you're going to have much better torque at a lower RPM. Regardless, either bike is going to feel stupid loving fast.

(That's also my favorite gen of GSX-R750, so I'm biased)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Cabledude posted:

Thanks for the Input guys I really appreciate it.

I have not ridden anything larger than my 250r, not sure I want to make a jump to a 750.

The funny thing about the situation is that I have a truck to sell and if I get a newer bike for this kind of price from selling my current Ninja I would actually come out with more money that the price of this.

I'll email the guy and update you guys if I get it this weekend!

Some would say the GSX-R 750 is a more ideal street machine, the usable power of a 1000 but the lower weight of a 600. They can seriously haul rear end, newer ones are about as good as previous literbikes power-wise. I'm sort of pining for one too but they're tough to find deals for around here.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Aye, I suggested it because 750's hit a nice nitche where you can use most of the power but they have the torque to tow you around without having to shift all the time. Plus, like Z3n said, the 2005's were the prettiest era of modern GSXRs...

a 750 isn't going to kill you any faster than a 600 would coming from a 250. It's not ideal, but it's not like a 250 prepares you for a 600SS anyway.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

I would love (LOVE) to own a 636 Ninja but they come up very rarely in town and I can't travel too far out of town to pick one up, the 750 would be a nice catch I agree but I would have to give them a call and see if it's not a basket case.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Cabledude posted:

2007 GSXr 600, 4500 miles "showroom condition" -$4000
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/1978451615.html

2007 Yamaha R6 11k miles -$4500
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/1979707202.html

For a first bike either one will do really fine. Try to talk the R6 $500-700 down and close the deal.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1976817017.html

First bike, don't want to have to upgrade in a couple months. I don't want something super sporty and I'd like to be able to go on freeways when I feel comfortable. What do you guys think?

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

For a first bike either one will do really fine. Try to talk the R6 $500-700 down and close the deal.

Second bike, first Supersport. I currently ride a 250 ninja. I think I'll go for the GSXR based on the replies here but if that falls through I'll hit up the R6 fellow again maybe.

Thank you though :)

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2010

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey you guys

I just traded a guitar and chainsaw for my first bike, a 1989 or so Honda XR80R. The engine has compression issues, and I want to take it apart and fix it myself. Apparently they've been making this motor and/or this bike for about a million years, is there any reasonable guide on the internet for disassembly or reassembly of a Honda 80cc four stroke engine? I googled it but I couldn't find anything substantial. If not, where could I find such as a haynes manual?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tigren posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1976817017.html

First bike, don't want to have to upgrade in a couple months. I don't want something super sporty and I'd like to be able to go on freeways when I feel comfortable. What do you guys think?

Not what I'd choose, but absolutely fine for what you want to do. You will want a highway screen, but they're readily available for Nighthawks (well, they used to be anyway).

Stalizard posted:

I just traded a guitar and chainsaw for my first bike, a 1989 or so Honda XR80R. The engine has compression issues

Hope it was a lovely guitar and that you're pretty light! :) I would go for the Honda workshop manual, which is probably still available through your local dealer.

Alternatively,

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=1612&title=Clymer+Honda+XL/XR75,+XL/XR80+%26+XL/XR100+1975-1991

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Saga posted:

Hope it was a lovely guitar and that you're pretty light! :) I would go for the Honda workshop manual, which is probably still available through your local dealer.

Alternatively,

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=1612&title=Clymer+Honda+XL/XR75,+XL/XR80+%26+XL/XR100+1975-1991

Thanks man, I managed to find a factory service manual for 1998 models, but frankly it doesn't look like the engine has changed any. It's a jumping off point, at least.
It was an extremely lovely guitar. I probably paid about $100 total for everything I traded, and for an almost working dirt bike that seemed pretty reasonable. I don't plan to ride it very much, I just wanted an easy introduction to working on engines and to learn how to make a motorbike go. After that I'll probably sell it to someone looking for a decent bike for their kid.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/HONDA/RC51/WINNIPEG/Manitoba/13_10505423_/?ms=motorcycles_atvs

Yes or no?

And what would the transistion be like having never ridden a powerful sportbike before? I ride a KLR650 right now and I'm sorry KLR people, but I don't like it.

Edit: jesus christ estimated insurance cost is $2100

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 30, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Clank posted:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/HONDA/RC51/WINNIPEG/Manitoba/13_10505423_/?ms=motorcycles_atvs

Yes or no?

And what would the transistion be like having never ridden a powerful sportbike before? I ride a KLR650 right now and I'm sorry KLR people, but I don't like it.

The RC is not the easiest to ride or the most comfy. For the same buck, the Fireblades have more "bang" and steer better. You also have to get used to the riding position, which will feel radically different to your KLR. And yes, insurance.

If you don't really love the whole big dirt bike thing, why not look for an old CBR600F3 or F4, or a Honda 599/Yamaha FZ6? A bit more relaxed and upright, cheaper to insure, but much better at paved roads than a KLR.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Saga posted:

The RC is not the easiest to ride or the most comfy. For the same buck, the Fireblades have more "bang" and steer better. You also have to get used to the riding position, which will feel radically different to your KLR. And yes, insurance.

If you don't really love the whole big dirt bike thing, why not look for an old CBR600F3 or F4, or a Honda 599/Yamaha FZ6? A bit more relaxed and upright, cheaper to insure, but much better at paved roads than a KLR.

There is a 2001 F4i for the same price in the area as well. Maybe I'll look at that instead.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2001-Honda-CBR-600-F4i-W0QQAdIdZ220181461

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Clank posted:

Yes or no?

The RC51 is a hardcore superbike, I wouldn't recommend it for any sort of daily riding, although I have one friend who has done a 900 mile day on his, it just fits him. He's short though.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm 5'8" and weigh about 140, and fit perfect on almost any sportbike. I did a 3,500+ mile trip on my CBR F2 a couple months ago. Suck it tall people!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm 5'8" and weigh about 140, and fit perfect on almost any sportbike. I did a 3,500+ mile trip on my CBR F2 a couple months ago. Suck it tall people!

We get our revenge when you come to a stop and fall over because of your pathetic legs

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

We get our revenge when you come to a stop and fall over because of your pathetic legs

I witnessed this not too long ago :haw:. They were picking a downed bike up off the track and everyone came into the hot pits. A short rider pulled up and promptly fell over. I chuckled.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Clank posted:

There is a 2001 F4i for the same price in the area as well. Maybe I'll look at that instead.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2001-Honda-CBR-600-F4i-W0QQAdIdZ220181461

Looks nice and clean. I don't understand the Yosh end can, but at least it isn't anodised purple or something. (Based on a couple of tests in PB and Bike magazines over the years, their steel end cans are heavier than most stock cans and make less power. Also, they need polishing, and if it's the "race" version, might not be street legal where you are.)

Those are great bikes. Listen for noise from the camchain tensioner. At worst, there should be a little slap on startup. If you can hear it when the bike's running, it will need changing - use that to knock $150 off the price.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
OK, in the end I think I'm going to go with the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD for $1,900:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1972686829.html

I drove the bike yesterday and it was very clean. He's got brand new tires on it, clean title, no issues (which is a far cry from some of the other bikes I've been eyeing in this range). I felt like it had plenty of power for me coming from a 250. The gear ratios seemed a little weird -- I found myself doing a lot of shifting though I'm guessing part of that is my inexperience -- but the shifting was very smooth and effortless. In the end I think it will serve well as a bike I can ride for a year or two and flip for something nicer.

Any last minute warnings before I go out and buy this thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd have him raise it back up to stock height for you if it only takes a few minutes to fix. Or at least explain how to do it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

I'd have him raise it back up to stock height for you if it only takes a few minutes to fix. Or at least explain how to do it.

Possibly one of those bolt ons that kick the rear shock lower mount point further back. If he did anything beyond a wheel swap to lower the front, then his "few minutes" just went out the window...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Possibly one of those bolt ons that kick the rear shock lower mount point further back. If he did anything beyond a wheel swap to lower the front, then his "few minutes" just went out the window...

Could have just raised the forks up in the triple clamps too.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

Could have just raised the forks up in the triple clamps too.

True. That still makes him faster than me :)

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
All he did to lower it was to drop the handlebars down a few inches. I'm actually comfortable where they are at but as I ride it a little more I may decide to take them up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh, ok then. I thought he had actually lowered the bike, not just the handlebars.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Z3n posted:

Ahh, ok then. I thought he had actually lowered the bike, not just the handlebars.

That's what I thought too from the description.

Riding motorcycles is fun. :) I need to stop being a pussy and accelerate faster though. Riding on a 45 MPH road feels a lot different than 20 MPH in a parking lot taking the MSF.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

I found a 2006 FZ6 for sale.
2700kms, Fender eliminator, K&N filter and Two brothers carbon fibre exhaust.
$2900
Says hes selling it cheap because he needs fast money to pay for school.
I think I'm gonna jump on this. Good idea?

Edit: bought it

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 3, 2010

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I just picked up a DRZ 400 and my 2009 triumph bonneville has sat unused since. I realized despite being largely different bikes, they fulfill the same role in terms of my use (around town, twisty bombing, etc) and the DRZ is more fun at all of the above.

Anyway, I listed the Bonnie on craigslist and everyone is terrified of its rebuild title and I have gotten pretty scant interest (progressively lowering the price has been to no avail).

Yesterday someone offered me an '06 sv650s with 9000 miles and some rash on the fairing plus some cash for the bonnie.

How does the sv650s serve as more of a distance hauler. I was hoping for something along the lines of a v-strom or another sport tourer for my second bike, but I think a SV might fit the bill.

I want something that I feel comfortable doing a couple hundred miles on the highway on with less fatigue then the drz. Any thoughts? Any suggestions as to how much cash I should go for.

tl;dr

2009 bonneville with 3300 miles and a rebuild title (a little rash on the crank case)

vs

SV 650s 2006 with 9000 miles and rash on the fairing +$$$?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ohwandernearer posted:

The bonnie's way cooler and if I were you I'd just mod it until it was a good distance bike.

That said, the SV is a decent touring bike. It's fairly comfy as motorcycles with a sporty focus go. To tour you may want to raise the clip ons and pad the seat some more, most people do. There are a lot of luggage options and the bike has no issues sustaining freeway speeds for 1,000 miles at a time if thats your bag, plus its fun in the twisty stuff. Is a bike that could fit your needs, for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, lots of people tour on SVs. It's not the best choice for it, but like most things SV, it's far from the worst and can be relatively easily made better than stock. (But I agree that the Bonnie is way cooler.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Clank posted:

I found a 2006 FZ6 for sale.
2700kms, Fender eliminator, K&N filter and Two brothers carbon fibre exhaust.
$2900
Says hes selling it cheap because he needs fast money to pay for school.
I think I'm gonna jump on this. Good idea?

Edit: bought it

Congrats, that's a great deal.

ohwandernearer posted:

I just picked up a DRZ 400 and my 2009 triumph bonneville has sat unused since. I realized despite being largely different bikes, they fulfill the same role in terms of my use (around town, twisty bombing, etc) and the DRZ is more fun at all of the above.

Anyway, I listed the Bonnie on craigslist and everyone is terrified of its rebuild title and I have gotten pretty scant interest (progressively lowering the price has been to no avail).

Yesterday someone offered me an '06 sv650s with 9000 miles and some rash on the fairing plus some cash for the bonnie.

How does the sv650s serve as more of a distance hauler. I was hoping for something along the lines of a v-strom or another sport tourer for my second bike, but I think a SV might fit the bill.

I want something that I feel comfortable doing a couple hundred miles on the highway on with less fatigue then the drz. Any thoughts? Any suggestions as to how much cash I should go for.

tl;dr

2009 bonneville with 3300 miles and a rebuild title (a little rash on the crank case)

vs

Do you need the cash? Because otherwise I'd second what the other guys say and make the bonnie better for distance. But the SV will also go forever, a bit of rash on the fairing isn't a big deal, and has a lot more performance potential.

You'll also have an easier time selling the SV, although the market for them is kinda in the gutter at the moment. How much were you asking for the Bonnie and how much is he offering?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Ended up jumping on a 1999 Kawi ZX-11 today with 6500 miles and salvage title for $1600. Couldn't resist the deal. I had my eye set on a Super Duke I saw for $7000 but that will have to wait.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

Do you need the cash? Because otherwise I'd second what the other guys say and make the bonnie better for distance. But the SV will also go forever, a bit of rash on the fairing isn't a big deal, and has a lot more performance potential.

You'll also have an easier time selling the SV, although the market for them is kinda in the gutter at the moment. How much were you asking for the Bonnie and how much is he offering?

Nah, I don't need the cash. I was thinking the SV might be easier to set up for minor touring but I have to say it is no where near as cool as the bonnie. Also, I am a little underwhelmed by the triumph's twin in terms of performance and thought the SV might be a healthy step up in terms of get up and go. The 6500 RPM redline comes pretty quick and the highway manners of the triumph leave a lot to be desired. Although, maybe with a fairing, a different front sprocket, a new gas tank, side bags, and a new exhaust, it could be a touring monster but I am looking at an easy 2000$ in upgrades to get this thing tourable. I thought the SV might be a little easier/cheaper to get to that point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of character, I think that's a good trade, depending on the amount of money he's willing to fork over with the bike. The S model is a bit more aggressively setup but that's easily fixed. I'd personally swap a gixxer front end on there, get an LSL kit with the money from the trade, slap on an aftermarket shock, and enjoy upright touring with great suspension. Add luggage if you feel like it. It won't be as fun as your DRZ but it'll still be a blast and will handle the freeway well.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Man with the GSX-R600 never called me. Back to waiting silently for another good deal to spring up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Obviously it's because you should have bought the 750. :haw: