Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

What do you get with long tubes, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, a Vortech supercharger pushing 7psi, and everything else stock on a 2011 5.0 with an automatic? You get 10s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ63GxXqJ9c

If he's running on the stock internals we can imagine that this car isn't going to last very long pushing 7 psi. Then again there's been a few people running superchargers on the '11s on some Mustang forums already and I haven't heard of a blown motor yet.

I'm really really excited to see the first 5.0 that's running a blower with new internals. 500+ rwhp on a bulletproof setup is really really exciting. I'd like to see how much a project like that ends up costing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

What do you get with long tubes, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, a Vortech supercharger pushing 7psi, and everything else stock on a 2011 5.0 with an automatic? You get 10s.

That's pretty excellent.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

If he's running on the stock internals we can imagine that this car isn't going to last very long pushing 7 psi. Then again there's been a few people running superchargers on the '11s on some Mustang forums already and I haven't heard of a blown motor yet.

I'm really really excited to see the first 5.0 that's running a blower with new internals. 500+ rwhp on a bulletproof setup is really really exciting. I'd like to see how much a project like that ends up costing.

He made 528rwhp with his setup. Whipple's kit was fully OE part tested by Ford at 7psi and passed with flying colors. I don't think the engine will be a problem at these boost levels as long as the tune is done right and keeps detonation at bay.

Here's a fun game, spot the difference between the 5.0 rods up top and the GT500 rods below:

Edit: Hint, there isn't a difference in material or forging technique, only the length is different.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

He made 528rwhp with his setup. Whipple's kit was fully OE part tested by Ford at 7psi and passed with flying colors. I don't think the engine will be a problem at these boost levels as long as the tune is done right and keeps detonation at bay.

Here's a fun game, spot the difference between the 5.0 rods up top and the GT500 rods below:

Edit: Hint, there isn't a difference in material or forging technique, only the length is different.

I suppose I'm just going by posts I've seen on other forums and this: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

I'll be the first to admit I don't know crap about this stuff so my knowledge is pretty much limited to what I read on the internet(aka crap). I'd like to know what you think about this snippet of the article linked above.

quote:

The Coyote team says the forged. powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough. It's worth noting that while the Coyote rod shares its big- and small-end diameters plus its center-to-center length with the 4.6 rod, the Coyote rod has been redesigned to more evenly distribute bearing loads and is definitely an improved piece.

Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. This adds a whole new layer of commitment to bolting a blower on a Coyote. We'll have to let the brave among us prove the standard Coyote rods' boost tolerance. For those planning on a rod-exchanging teardown right away, Ford says the Cobra's Manley forged rod will just fit, but you must be careful. No word on how to package a forged piston and rod combination.

From what I'm reading, the new 5.0 is much less blower friendly than the outgoing 4.6 and a lot of it has to do with the already high compression ratio. What kind of boost can you push in a daily driven 4.6 and still have the car be semi reliable?

The way people have made it sound, I figured it was the end of easy to boost Mustangs. It seemed like the last few years, people were puttering around town in blown mustangs left and right, not just ripping up the strip. It doesn't appear to be as easy in the 5.0.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I suppose I'm just going by posts I've seen on other forums and this: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

I'll be the first to admit I don't know crap about this stuff so my knowledge is pretty much limited to what I read on the internet(aka crap). I'd like to know what you think about this snippet of the article linked above.

From what I'm reading, the new 5.0 is much less blower friendly than the outgoing 4.6 and a lot of it has to do with the already high compression ratio. What kind of boost can you push in a daily driven 4.6 and still have the car be semi reliable?

The way people have made it sound, I figured it was the end of easy to boost Mustangs. It seemed like the last few years, people were puttering around town in blown mustangs left and right, not just ripping up the strip. It doesn't appear to be as easy in the 5.0.

That article just states 5.0 Mustang's opinion about the GT rods; they tend to be pessimists about stock parts.

The forced induction companies are all using the Ti-VCT system to alter the dynamic compression ratio of the engine. According to a rep from Whipple they can alter the dynamic compression ratio all the way down to around 8.5:1 by keeping the exhaust valve open longer with the Ti-VCT system.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Also, 5.0 Magazine wouldn't sell many ads for rod manufacturers if they stated that the stock rods are adequate.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How is Ford coming out ahead financially with the new 5.0? It seems like the better quality parts, manufacturing, engineering, etc. would add a lot to the cost of car. Some of that goes back to buyers in the form of a higher price, but a lot like the engineering costs have to be amortized over time. What I'm really curious/worried about is, will the new 5.0 be like the 5th generation VW GTI/Rabbit which had a strong product at release but cost too much and had to be watered down in its next iteration?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

How is Ford coming out ahead financially with the new 5.0? It seems like the better quality parts, manufacturing, engineering, etc. would add a lot to the cost of car. Some of that goes back to buyers in the form of a higher price, but a lot like the engineering costs have to be amortized over time. What I'm really curious/worried about is, will the new 5.0 be like the 5th generation VW GTI/Rabbit which had a strong product at release but cost too much and had to be watered down in its next iteration?

My 5.0 was almost $38k out the door. It isn't exactly an inexpensive car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

My 2003 GT premium was $24,995 out the door, where a 2011 GT premium runs real close to $40k or more depending on options. A $15k increase in 8 years is more than just inflation.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

frozenphil posted:

My 2003 GT premium was $24,995 out the door, where a 2011 GT premium runs real close to $40k or more depending on options. A $15k increase in 8 years is more than just inflation.
It depends. I dug out the window sticker for my '97 convertible, which had an MSRP of $29,010 with all the options (minus delivery). A base 2011 GT premium convertible lists for $37,845 and has more stuff standard than my old one had as options. So that's less than nine grand after 13 years for a much better car with a much better engine, which is actually slightly less than inflation.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you paid MSRP for a Ford in 1997, you were swindled. MSRP are closer to actual prices now.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Presto posted:

It depends. I dug out the window sticker for my '97 convertible, which had an MSRP of $29,010 with all the options (minus delivery). A base 2011 GT premium convertible lists for $37,845 and has more stuff standard than my old one had as options. So that's less than nine grand after 13 years for a much better car with a much better engine, which is actually slightly less than inflation.

You should probably compare your convertible to another convertible as that silly disappearing roof adds a lot to the price of the car.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

frozenphil posted:

You should probably compare your convertible to another convertible as that silly disappearing roof adds a lot to the price of the car.
I did. :confused:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Presto posted:

I did. :confused:

I read gud. :v:

Was it a Cobra? The MSRP for the 1997 premium GT convertible was $23,985. How did you add $6k?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

frozenphil posted:

I read gud. :v:

Was it a Cobra? The MSRP for the 1997 premium GT convertible was $23,985. How did you add $6k?
Nope, GT. Here were the options:
  • Preferred equipment package 249A ... $2,185
    - Air conditioning, manual
    - Mustang group #2 (whatever that was)
    - Speed control
    - Seat, power driver's
    - Anti-lock braking system
  • Auto overdrive transmission ... $815
  • Front floor mats ... $30
  • Remote keyless/illuminated entry ... $270
  • Anti-theft system ... $145
  • Optional ratio axle ... $200
  • Defroster, rear window ... $190
  • Mach 460 electronic AM/FM stereo cassette ... $395
  • Wheels, unique 17" aluminum ... $500
  • Leather seating surfaces sport buckets ... $500
  • Compact disc player ... $295

Minus $500 for a package discount.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

what??
a premium GT with comfort pkg, electronics pkg, 3.73, brembo brake pkg, & HID runs $39,500 MSRP (which is retarded in the day and age of costco auto).. electronics pkg and comfort pkg i could be without easily, since theyre both fuckin useless to me (okay i moved seat now i dont need to move it again especially for $600. Also i dont need loving $2000 sirius radio, and dont need $2000 voice navigation when a $100 garmin will do me just fine once a year when i need it). the GT premium is decked the gently caress out as is, really doesnt need any options. You dont "need" brembo package so you cant draw an equivalency between that and a 2003 GT.

The minimum-good-options-but-holy-poo poo-still-blows-the-doors-off-a-2003 GT price stands hair above $35,000, but really $33k.

If you compare apples to apples, V6 premium would be the thing to compare.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 25, 2010

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

frozenphil posted:

I watched the not very exciting "up next video" for that, and then noticed this in the related videos. "2011 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmUfnBMZDI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is the point of that

winstor
Sep 20, 2009
I would like to say thank you to the Mustang for providing the new 5.0 V8 for our FPV range over here in Australia.

http://www.fpv.com.au/the-new-boss-v8.aspx

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a Mclaren Mustang today, it's my understanding that these were fairly uncommon?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

winstor posted:

I would like to say thank you to the Mustang for providing the new 5.0 V8 for our FPV range over here in Australia.

http://www.fpv.com.au/the-new-boss-v8.aspx

So your supercharged 32v 5.0 gets roughly the same hp as our naturally aspirated 32v 5.0?

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
335 kilowatts is about 450 horsepower and if you look at the torque curve its as flat as a pancake once it reaches 2000 rpm. Evidently, its being intentionally limited.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Parabellum posted:

335 kilowatts is about 450 horsepower and if you look at the torque curve its as flat as a pancake once it reaches 2000 rpm. Evidently, its being intentionally limited.

Yeah I figured it was corked, I just wonder why they didn't just use the regular 5.0 in the name of simplicity.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So your supercharged 32v 5.0 gets roughly the same hp as our naturally aspirated 32v 5.0?

Pretty sure this was already gone over earlier in the thread but apparently ford australia likes to publish numbers from rwhp... so its 450hp/420ftlb of torque to the rear wheels. That means its going to make at least 517hp and 483 ft/lbs of torque at the fly wheel. Of course the 5.0 mustang gt seems to be underrated, so im guessing this engine is too. Fuckin crazy stuff.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah I figured it was corked, I just wonder why they didn't just use the regular 5.0 in the name of simplicity.

Branding, for the most part. But its not really the regular 5.0 either. Its got a complete forged rotating assembly by FPV and the blower, of course.
We might get the basic 5.0 here at the end of the year for the XR8 FGII.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just wanted to say that my Header back exhaust and my 4/10 gears are on the way an next is a tune and getting her ready for winter.

I love my car :-)

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Took the Bullitt out to the track again last weekend. My friend in a modified 330ci only lapped me once in our 20-minute run :v:

I bet I can keep up with him with better tires and brakes. Ford Racing now has the GT500 SVT wheels on its site. Tempting!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I saw a Mclaren Mustang today, it's my understanding that these were fairly uncommon?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

My neighbor has one exactly like that, and I see them once in awhile around here so I don't think they're really that rare.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

leica posted:

My neighbor has one exactly like that, and I see them once in awhile around here so I don't think they're really that rare.

Real ones are apparently really rare:

Wikipedia posted:

McLaren M81 Mustang

Ford announced the formation of a Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division headed by Michael Kranefuss in September 1980. SVO's stated purpose was to "develop a series of limited-production performance cars and develop their image through motorsport." Ford introduced the McLaren M81 Mustang in late 1980. The work of designers Todd Gerstenberger and Harry Wykes, it was another heavily modified hatchback with enough built-in potential for easy adaptation to race duty. Looking somewhat like the IMSA show car, the McLaren sported a grille-less nose above a low-riding "skirt" spoiler, plus functional hood scoops, tweaked suspension (mostly a mix of heavy-duty off-the-shelf components), massive fender flares, and premium German BBS alloy wheels wearing broad-shouldered 225/55R15 Firestone HPR radials.

The McLaren Mustang teamed Ford Design with McLaren Performance of Formula One racing fame. Planned production was just 250 examples. Power was again provided by the turbo-four, but it was newly fortified with a variable boost control having a range of 5 psi (0.3 bar)-11 psi (0.8 bar) vs. the regular engine's fixed 5 psi (0.3 bar). Rated output was 175 horsepower (130 kW) at 10 psi (0.7 bar), a big jump over the 132 horsepower (98 kW) stock mill. A $25,000 price tag and virtual hand construction limited McLaren production to just 10 units (including the prototype).

Looks like this is an ASC/McLaren, which looks like it's basically just a two-seater conversion?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

leica posted:

They're quite rare, actually. Less than 2,500 ASC/Mclaren convertibles were made from '84-'90. And that's including the Capris.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Huh, must there's just a few around here I guess. I see another red one and a blue one from time to time. I wonder how much they're worth.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

leica posted:

Huh, must there's just a few around here I guess. I see another red one and a blue one from time to time. I wonder how much they're worth.

Nothing, yet. Give it another 15 or 20 years.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Oh god, I was lying to myself when I said I wouldn't mod this thing.

A guy is selling a 8.8 with 4.10 gears, Trutrac, fox length axles and new drum brake hardware. From what I've read I can just reuse the 7.5 axles and disc brake hardware and be on my way, correct?

Also, does this look like a 7.5?

...and does the exhaust look stock?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Oh god, I was lying to myself when I said I wouldn't mod this thing.

A guy is selling a 8.8 with 4.10 gears, Trutrac, fox length axles and new drum brake hardware. From what I've read I can just reuse the 7.5 axles and disc brake hardware and be on my way, correct?

I'm pretty sure the 7.5" axles won't work. Why in the world would you want to reuse the axles anyway? The entire point of upgrading to the 8.8 is to get the beefier axles. Buy some Strange axles that fit your application.

quote:

Also, does this look like a 7.5?

Yes

quote:

...and does the exhaust look stock?

Yes

Blacksofa
Apr 6, 2010

frozenphil posted:

I'm pretty sure the 7.5" axles won't work. Why in the world would you want to reuse the axles anyway? The entire point of upgrading to the 8.8 is to get the beefier axles. Buy some Strange axles that fit your application.

Stock 7.5 and 8.8 axles are the same, both are 28 spline. I'm also assuming the Traction Lok is 28 spline too:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-transmission-drive-train-Ford-8-8-4-10s-5Lug-TracLok-Mustang-W0QQAdIdZ232544685

I could upgrade to a 31 spline locker and axles but I want the Detroit Tru Trac and they go for $600 :(

That and I might go and pick up that discounted H-pipe now...

Edit: poo poo, brother didn't log out

Blacksofa fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2010

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I've got a question about my '07 4.0. I'm getting a rubbing/vibrating noise when the car is in neutral with the clutch out, but it goes away completely when the clutch is in. It's quite noticeable when sitting at a traffic light, for instance. It's like opposite of a bad throwout bearing. There's also sometimes a bit of a rattle from the shifter when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears. I took it to the dealer and they claim that it's normal transmission noise, but with some googling I found other people with the same issue who claim there's a tsb for this.

Here, for example: http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=26281
and here: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1coa0-my-wifes-2006-mustang-bought-new-has-what-sounds

Is this really a normal noise? Or do I need to be more insistent with the dealer that it's a problem? Also, would this be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty (which is expired) or the powertrain warranty (which is still in effect)?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I own an S2000 now but ever since the 5.0 was announced I've been in the closet lusting for it.

Could you guys point me to some decent mustang forums? From googling there appears to be 50 million of them and I can't seem to find the "main" forum that has all the information.

A forum that also has a section for racing (track, autox, not so much drag) would be helpful as well since I'm curious what kind of prep these cars need for the track.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

whiskas posted:

I own an S2000 now but ever since the 5.0 was announced I've been in the closet lusting for it.

Could you guys point me to some decent mustang forums? From googling there appears to be 50 million of them and I can't seem to find the "main" forum that has all the information.

A forum that also has a section for racing (track, autox, not so much drag) would be helpful as well since I'm curious what kind of prep these cars need for the track.

What do you want out of the forum? Mustang forums are all cesspools full of the worst kinds of right wing racists on Earth, mouthbreathing retards whose only exposure to working on cars is via magazines and Internet forums, and scammers posing as legitimate businesses who pay forums owners to ban anyone who dares speak out against them. That said, most sites have a few sub forums where the knowledgeable people gather.

In general, https://www.corral.net is the main hub for all things Mustang. Their classifieds can't be beat. If you're interested in the modular engines and how to make more power out of them, https://www.modularfords.com is the place to go. If you like turning your steering wheel and feeling your oxcart suspension skip all over the place sending you careening into the trees, then https://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/ is your place. Even though Corner Carvers isn't a dedicated Mustang site it is, for some inexplicable reason, full of Mustang owners.

Word of warning for the above sites, do not, under any circumstances, venture outside of the tech forums on either Corral or Modular Fords. FYAD and BYOB can only hope to aspire to the concentrated retardation that is a Mustang website's general discussion forum. Do not, under any circumstances, ask questions without doing an exhaustive three day search using every keyword you can think of and several keywords you would never think to use on Corner Carvers.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
There's nothing wrong with corral.net. They're the right wing equivalent of everything else on the net that is so far left it comes back around full circle. Twice.

They just really didn't like Phil for reasons I can't imagine :dreamy: (military sucks because I can't smoke pot! the south sucks (i'm moving to talledega!)) Yes. I was there for your retardation from 2000ish to 2004ish.

:P

But yeah, even as a conservative, corral.net made my skin crawl. Eh. Mustang site. It's not exactly high brow.

Hooch302 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So I just got my call from the dealership, the Mustang just got delivered...a week early. Of course this is the week I'm in Europe so I won't get to pick it up until Thursday....drat it all!.

Will post pics later this week.