Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

Grind on a double XP weekend, whenever the next one may be

It'd be nicer if Rockstar just reverted back to XP that it originally gave the hideouts. Honestly, if people are giving up before they hit the first out of five tiers, then there's something wrong with the system. I'm having issues with getting up to Level 50, much less doing that four more times for a freaking mount. If anything, they probably should have just expanded the system up to Level 100 or made the mounts some kind of challenges or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ that is such a better idea. Whether they're skill based challenges or grinding in their own way.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Just remember that every minute you spend grinding on a non-double xp weekend is only worth half as much. That and the fact that if you ever DID get a zonkey, you would just be constantly hunted by every pubbie trying to murder you to steal it, should disincentivise it for you.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2010

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
I don't understand why developers do poo poo like this. I mean, the sorts of people who would play the game long enough to get a zonkey were going to play the game anyway. Why not just make it a normal unlock? I mean, it takes long enough to get to 50 anyway.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, I didn't realise the legendary mounts thing even existed until one of you guys told me about it. That's ridiculous. I don't want to grind to 50 4 times in a row to get every mount. I've gotten kind of bored just playing as it is. Until the Zombie pack comes out, anyway.

I seriously doubt that'll be interesting enough to get me to 50 more than a second time, if that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Yeah, I didn't realise the legendary mounts thing even existed until one of you guys told me about it. That's ridiculous. I don't want to grind to 50 4 times in a row to get every mount. I've gotten kind of bored just playing as it is. Until the Zombie pack comes out, anyway.

I seriously doubt that'll be interesting enough to get me to 50 more than a second time, if that.

Isn't the bulk of the zombie content single player, anyway?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Sir Spaniard posted:

I've gotten kind of bored just playing as it is. Until the Zombie pack comes out, anyway.

-Kill Bears
-Sell loot in Meheeeko
-Wait for the dead to rise (you have 22 days to amass a zombie-stopping fortune) and buy new equipment
-Make 'em dead again :clint:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Probably. But they better not leave zombie animals (and hopefully zombies) out of multiplayer.

I'm on my second playthrough of the singleplayer, and I'm a little bored of that too.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

TheJoker138 posted:

Well there is the new survival mode for multiplayer which sounds like Horde for RDR...but with zombies. Posse up, lock a location down and defend it to the death against legions of the undead.

jesus_rocket
Jan 11, 2006

OMG HAPPEE
What is with the community in this game? Every single game I'm in, no matter what I'm doing whether it be picking flowers or hunting rabbits i get mowed down over and over by some level 50 dude with a high power pistol and a rocket horse.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jesus_rocket posted:

What is with the community in this game? Every single game I'm in, no matter what I'm doing whether it be picking flowers or hunting rabbits i get mowed down over and over by some level 50 dude with a high power pistol and a rocket horse.

To them you're just 10xp holding some flowers. If you're picking flowers, play private. If you want to run with a posse, find some goons.

Edit: wait that doesn't even make sense. If you're level 50 you can't gain xp at all until you reset to 1. I guess they're just dicks then.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lucid Delusion posted:

Well there is the new survival mode for multiplayer which sounds like Horde for RDR...but with zombies. Posse up, lock a location down and defend it to the death against legions of the undead.

Oh man I hope this is the case.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if you can use a multiplayer save from the 360 on a ps3 game?

I don't think you can, but hey, wanted to check and find out what everyone else though. I kinda hate to lose my level 37 guy on the 360 but I refuse to pay more than 30$ for live access.

Counting down the days until the zombie pack :dance:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know if you can use a multiplayer save from the 360 on a ps3 game?

I don't think you can, but hey, wanted to check and find out what everyone else though. I kinda hate to lose my level 37 guy on the 360 but I refuse to pay more than 30$ for live access.

Counting down the days until the zombie pack :dance:

Nope, no way to transfer. The first, and to this point only, inter-platform save game sharing will be with Portal 2 on PS3, which will keep your saves in the Steam Cloud, and be available on PC.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I'm approaching the end of the single player but..i don't want it to end :ohdear:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pr0phecy posted:

I'm approaching the end of the single player but..i don't want it to end :ohdear:

I think i'm getting there too. It is really good.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

I just finished the game and I'm glad I had the explosive rifle because I don't want any remains of the Ross Family to exist,even 6 feet underground.

Now bring on Undead Nightmare.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Corzaa posted:

I just finished the game and I'm glad I had the explosive rifle because I don't want any remains of the Ross Family to exist,even 6 feet underground.

I still can't bring myself to kill Mrs. Ross. Even when I'm like "hey I'll try being a dick" I can't seem to be mean to e-people :ohdear:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Corzaa posted:

Can you use the explosive rifle when you face off against Ross? Because if so, that might be worth a replay right there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 5, 2010

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Can you use the explosive rifle when you face off against Ross? Because if so, that might be worth a replay right there.

No,you can't.

I pretty much just shot his already dead body with it

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, I think you're limited to sidearms only since it's a duel. 15 rounds with the Mauser is pretty drat satisfying if I don't say so myself.

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010
You've got to use the High-Power Pistol. It's just so drat right.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

poo poo

Might want to spoiler that there tex.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

thanks for the spoiler rear end in a top hat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
You can shoot him before you enter the duel. You will fail, but its just so right

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

HereCometheKillBots posted:

Oh that I did, and it was GLORIOUS!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Philip J Fry posted:

Yeah, I think you're limited to sidearms only since it's a duel. 15 rounds with the Mauser is pretty drat satisfying if I don't say so myself.

I once ran into an interesting glitch where I accepted a duel while I had my sawed off shotgun out.

The duel started and ended after my first 2 target marks...i killed my opponent with a sawed-off shotgun in a duel!

Then the game got stuck there, couldn't get out of the situation without loading a new game

But it was still an awesome occurance :clint:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

HereCometheKillBots posted:

I like the Cattleman Revolver as it's like "This is my Father's gun. prepare to die"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

Might want to spoiler that there tex.

Done and done, but at this point I don't see how anybody doesn't know.

Now, if I told you that the plot of Undead Nightmare is Seth turning out to be a ninja, then you would have a point.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Anyone got any tips on how to kill a cougar with Dynamite?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Use deadeye mode, paint the target and throw.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

fennesz posted:

Oh man I hope this is the case.

It would be pretty awesome. Already I think the best place to do this would be the saloon in Armadillo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dr.Smasher posted:

I tried that, it makes it even more depressing. You see how little you fill the bar and think 'if this is how long it's taking with double xp whats the point?'.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

The way I see it, you have two sane choices.

- Grind a bit here and there, maybe an hour or two a day on weekends, in a month or two reach 50. STAY THERE, as all the legendary mounts are gimmicks, except the Zonkey.

- Simply play the game for your own enjoyment. Casually work your way up to 50, never grinding or doing anything you don't wanna do. Eventually you'll crawl up to 50 without knowing it. Go legend and do it 4 more times. Enjoy your Zonkey at Thanksgiving, 2011.

Other than that, get ready for a ton of grinding with little reward. The Zonkey is simply not worth it. I used a hacked save with it for a month. It was meh. And you can ONLY use it in freeroam. Plus all the legendary characters suck, and the American Standardbred can outrun every legendary mount.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

The way I see it, you have two sane choices.

- Grind a bit here and there, maybe an hour or two a day on weekends, in a month or two reach 50. STAY THERE, as all the legendary mounts are gimmicks, except the Zonkey.

- Simply play the game for your own enjoyment. Casually work your way up to 50, never grinding or doing anything you don't wanna do. Eventually you'll crawl up to 50 without knowing it. Go legend and do it 4 more times. Enjoy your Zonkey at Thanksgiving, 2011.

Other than that, get ready for a ton of grinding with little reward. The Zonkey is simply not worth it. I used a hacked save with it for a month. It was meh. And you can ONLY use it in freeroam. Plus all the legendary characters suck, and the American Standardbred can outrun every legendary mount.

Pretty much. I will regret saying this, but the legendary mounts would be nice if they were included in one of the DLCs. I know Rockstar put a lot of work into the titles but they were running low when it came to pursuading people to play forever. A 10G for an achievement to prompt people to go back to zero is just lame.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I just finished the game and I can't say anything that hasn't been said. All I can say is that this is the greatest video game I've played in 15 years.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

For me, levels are mostly irrelevant. I like playing the co op missions, where what weapons you have unlocked are less important, and when I want to do free roam you can ride around a bit and get some good weapons or just play some hideouts and get some decent ones along the way. I sort of want the achievement for going legendary the first time but not enough to spend hours just levelling up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a remake of a old western film called True Grit coming out on Christmas; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vGaEZfKLwQ This one features Jeff loving Bridges with a eye patch :clint: and Matt Damon, and is directed by the Coen Brothers which means i'm going to be seeing this the day it comes out.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any way to legitimately acquire the Liar's Dice and Poker achievements without putting way more time into those mini-games than their entertainment value justifies? Ideally I'd like to boost it, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to find five people for that.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

There is a remake of a old western film called True Grit coming out on Christmas; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vGaEZfKLwQ This one features Jeff loving Bridges with a eye patch :clint: and Matt Damon, and is directed by the Coen Brothers which means i'm going to be seeing this the day it comes out.

What is it about these want-be remakes of classic westerns (3:10 to Yuma, True Grit)? :argh::bang::barf:

While John Wayne got an Oscar for his role in True Grit. To me it was more of a lifetime achievement award then for his acting. Personally I think that Wayne should have won for The Seekers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PFCHudson
Mar 4, 2010

SMUG JERK POSTING ANECDOTAL ONE-LINERS
and having a blast...

Aratoeldar posted:

What is it about these want-be remakes of classic westerns (3:10 to Yuma, True Grit)? :argh::bang::barf:

While John Wayne got an Oscar for his role in True Grit. To me it was more of a lifetime achievement award then for his acting. Personally I think that Wayne should have won for The Seekers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

What the hell is want-be?
3:10 to Yuma was great, and True Grit looks amazing...

• Locked thread