Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

davebo posted:

Edit: ^^ that is such a better idea. Whether they're skill based challenges or grinding in their own way.

Just remember that every minute you spend grinding on a non-double xp weekend is only worth half as much. That and the fact that if you ever DID get a zonkey, you would just be constantly hunted by every pubbie trying to murder you to steal it, should disincentivise it for you.

I've ground my way to almost 3rd tier, and all I have to say is that the zonkey better be lightning fast or something, because Bonzo, the Buffalo, and Albino Buffalo are all slower than the American Standard Bred horse as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dr.Smasher posted:

I've ground my way to almost 3rd tier, and all I have to say is that the zonkey better be lightning fast or something, because Bonzo, the Buffalo, and Albino Buffalo are all slower than the American Standard Bred horse as far as I can tell.

It's not, and all the information about the buffalo being slower and harder to turn than a horse was readily available from the moment people were using hacked savegames on the xbox. You won't receive the kind of reward you're looking for, sorry :)

Edit: but hey if you're third legendary, why stop now? :P

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Aratoeldar posted:

What is it about these want-be remakes of classic westerns (3:10 to Yuma, True Grit)? :argh::bang::barf:

While John Wayne got an Oscar for his role in True Grit. To me it was more of a lifetime achievement award then for his acting. Personally I think that Wayne should have won for The Seekers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

To be fair, it's not a remake. It's another adaptation of the novel that the first was based on. The Coen bros. are looking to make this one more true to the novel than the 1969 adaptation.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

the zonkey better be lightning fast

Nope. It has incredible stamina, and can out run anything OFF road, but on roads it is slower than the standardbred and also it can't jump or turn as fast.

Also, you will be shot on sight for riding it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GenoCanSing posted:

Nope. It has incredible stamina, and can out run anything OFF road, but on roads it is slower than the standardbred and also it can't jump or turn as fast.

Also, you will be shot on sight for riding it.

That stamina reminded me to ask something. When you're riding you can just tap X in a rhythm so that you're riding as fast as the horse will go but the bar doesn't actually deplete. I normally just sort of hum the beat in my head so I know when to tap it, but is that pretty much what everyone does? There's no actual benefit to tapping it a bunch of times any faster than that specific rhythm, right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

davebo posted:

That stamina reminded me to ask something. When you're riding you can just tap X in a rhythm so that you're riding as fast as the horse will go but the bar doesn't actually deplete. I normally just sort of hum the beat in my head so I know when to tap it, but is that pretty much what everyone does? There's no actual benefit to tapping it a bunch of times any faster than that specific rhythm, right?

Yup, that's what I do. I just listen to the rhythm of the horses hooves hitting the ground and spur in sync.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

PFCHudson posted:

What the hell is want-be?
3:10 to Yuma was great, and True Grit looks amazing...

Not the remake.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Tokubetsu posted:

Not the remake.

Wait wait wait...wait. You don't think the new True Grit looks good?!

Not even promising? Coen Brothers? Jeff Bridges? Matt Damon? Josh Brolin? Every shot in the drat trailer looks great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sco Dylan posted:

Not even promising? Coen Brothers? Jeff Bridges? Matt Damon? Josh Brolin? Every shot in the drat trailer looks great.

Jeff Bridges with an eye patch. It is already movie of the year material.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

I think he was saying he didn't like the 3:10 To Yuma remake, which is also crazy talk.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

TheJoker138 posted:

I think he was saying he didn't like the 3:10 To Yuma remake, which is also crazy talk.

I don't like the 3:10 to Yuma remake. Bale is just seems off for me in it. I'm hyped for True Grit though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I keep reading it as True Git.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Pretty much. I will regret saying this, but the legendary mounts would be nice if they were included in one of the DLCs. I know Rockstar put a lot of work into the titles but they were running low when it came to pursuading people to play forever. A 10G for an achievement to prompt people to go back to zero is just lame.

Personally, I found it worthwhile to at least hit +50 for the Buffalo. With that, I've got all the mount variation I need :clint:

i still use the American Standardbred anyways

e: This Tokubetsu fella had better juss' git. We don't like his kind 'round here /spits

VVV Haha, that's badass :)

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 6, 2010

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I finally figured out that I can grind the multiplayer game by starting a new private game and just playing alone. Without other players running around, I can pick flowers and hunt animals without some rear end in a top hat shooting me for.... what is it, ten points?

I plan to stop at the first Level 50 though. Multiple runthroughs are a bit much to ask.

Anyway, the other night I was in a public session, staked out on the roof of the Silent Stead shack waiting for cougars (you can do this for points with the second DLC pack, which makes it worthwhile for me).

Another player rode up and immediately started shooting at me. I didn't shoot back; I just dodged him by ducking behind the roof's peak. I started to wonder if the cougars swarming around the shack would deter him.

Eventually he ran for the shack and got inside. I maintained my position on the roof, right above him.

Listening to this guy fend off cougars through the shack's tiny windows were the most entertaining five minutes I've had in this game. I heard him gradually deplete his ammunition and switch to successively shittier weapons. Finally he was slashing at the cougars with a knife, from the porch.

Another player rode up to see what the commotion was. He had to shoot a couple of cougars to get close enough to see. At that point, the player who had attacked me ran out of the shack and shot him (with a revolver? I'm not sure what he had left at that point). The new guy died but managed to wound the other player. As he limped away, the last of the ten cougars in the area mauled him.

I shot that last cougar. The game then informed me that I had completed the area for 88 points, principally for watching a griefer get whittled down by the very animals I was there to hunt.

That was fun.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Hahaha thats awesome. I love how in the Outfitter Bonnie McFarlane is having a huge swig of Bourbon or whatever it is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I saw this on reddit and it reminded me of RDR :)

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Ohhh poo poo, that guy's gonna get loving killed!

At least it ain't a zombie cougar.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

bitey posted:

I finally figured out that I can grind the multiplayer game by starting a new private game and just playing alone. Without other players running around, I can pick flowers and hunt animals without some rear end in a top hat shooting me for.... what is it, ten points?

I plan to stop at the first Level 50 though. Multiple runthroughs are a bit much to ask.

Anyway, the other night I was in a public session, staked out on the roof of the Silent Stead shack waiting for cougars (you can do this for points with the second DLC pack, which makes it worthwhile for me).

Another player rode up and immediately started shooting at me. I didn't shoot back; I just dodged him by ducking behind the roof's peak. I started to wonder if the cougars swarming around the shack would deter him.

Eventually he ran for the shack and got inside. I maintained my position on the roof, right above him.

Listening to this guy fend off cougars through the shack's tiny windows were the most entertaining five minutes I've had in this game. I heard him gradually deplete his ammunition and switch to successively shittier weapons. Finally he was slashing at the cougars with a knife, from the porch.

Another player rode up to see what the commotion was. He had to shoot a couple of cougars to get close enough to see. At that point, the player who had attacked me ran out of the shack and shot him (with a revolver? I'm not sure what he had left at that point). The new guy died but managed to wound the other player. As he limped away, the last of the ten cougars in the area mauled him.

I shot that last cougar. The game then informed me that I had completed the area for 88 points, principally for watching a griefer get whittled down by the very animals I was there to hunt.

That was fun.

In the end the griefer got what he deserved.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I saw this on reddit and it reminded me of RDR :)

I can't believe that guy killed that absolutely awesome stag. Look at that thing, its a treasure. It needs to be running around in the goddamn woods.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Looks like he's about to get what he deserves.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Fonzarelli posted:

I can't believe that guy killed that absolutely awesome stag. Look at that thing, its a treasure. It needs to be running around in the goddamn woods.

Right, where no one can appreciate it and it'll get killed and left to rot by a predator. Rolleyes. Assuming that cat didnt' eat him, he's probably going to eat the heck out of that deer, and then mount the head in a cool place so that he can be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with hunting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

gowb posted:

Right, where no one can appreciate it and it'll get killed and left to rot by a predator. Rolleyes. Assuming that cat didnt' eat him, he's probably going to eat the heck out of that deer, and then mount the head in a cool place so that he can be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with hunting.

There's so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

So I'll just say gently caress BEARS! :argh:

In one night I was attacked by at least 12 bears. Then I got to the next level of the hunting achievement and suddenly they all loving disappear. What the gently caress.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

gowb posted:

SO long as they use a bow or black powder, like a real man, then I agree.

I wish there was a bow in this game, but I'll have to settle for hunting with tomahawks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

gowb posted:

Nah that thing could have lived for a few more years, running around jumping over fences, having sex with lady deers and stabbing poo poo with its prongs. In fact, it probably would have.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New screens and artwork for the Undead Nightmare pack at Kotaku.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ruddiger posted:

New screens and artwork for the Undead Nightmare pack at Kotaku.

YES.

That is friggin awesome. I want a shotgun nun skin to match the Herbert MOOOOON one.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
New desktop found.

I will play the poo poo out of the nun skin in multiplayer. Finally a worthwhile replacement for Shadow Wolf.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I don't know why but the nun seems to have the same face as Abigail Marston...

who we know she isn't because she's the first zombie here :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 6, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Holy poo poo those pictures look awesome. Someone needs to combine the :clint: and :zombie: smilies.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Morter posted:

I don't know why but the nun seems to have the same face as Abigail Marston...

who we know she isn't because she's the first zombie here :(

That makes me wonder what's up. This is a John Marston story. He died before she did.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Darth Brooks posted:

That makes me wonder what's up. This is a John Marston story. He died before she did.

That rascal Dickens slipped some peyote into his magical elixir :catdrugs:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Either this is a completely non-canon thing or you play as Jack and Rockstar are showing John in the screenshots not to spoil the story.

Edit: Wait, they show John interacting with Bonnie McFarlane in the trailer so maybe it is the former.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Either this is a completely non-canon thing or you play as Jack and Rockstar are showing John in the screenshots not to spoil the story.

Edit: Wait, they show John interacting with Bonnie McFarlane in the trailer so maybe it is the former.
If this is some Metal Gear Solid 2 bullshit I am going to sperg out with incalculable nerd rage.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Well it's either just a nightmare, as the name of the pack indicates, or non-canon like a Simpson's Halloween episode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a huge zombie outbreak in the otherwise realistic and gritty world of Red Dead Redemption is 100% non-canonical and just for funsies.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe their content pack about zombie cowboys and bears and cougars isn't actually canon.

ne;fb

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
I have no clue how anyone could think this was gonna be a canon chapter.

I hope it's set up like the Episodes from Liberty City So that you choose between playing vanilla Red Dead and Undead Nightmare at the main menu. I still like to dick around in the game and I don't want the living dead bothering me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sco Dylan posted:

or non-canon like a Simpson's Halloween episode.
Basically every episode of the The Simpsons is non-canon. It's a sandbox for writers to do whatever the hell they want with established characters with little to no repercussions on the series as a whole. Very few moments in Simpsons history have ever been called back on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Basically every episode of the The Simpsons is non-canon. It's a sandbox for writers to do whatever the hell they want with established characters with little to no repercussions on the series as a whole. Very few moments in Simpsons history have ever been called back on.

I would argue that while specific events aren't important (although I remember Mr. Burns always being afraid of Maggie after Who Shot Mr. Burns), character traits are established and carry on, such as Lisa being a vegetarian and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Artwork of the nun suggests maybe holy water as a weapon. :D

• Locked thread