Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

kronix posted:

So I just got my call from the dealership, the Mustang just got delivered...a week early. Of course this is the week I'm in Europe so I won't get to pick it up until Thursdaythis means every employee at the dealer is FLOGGING THE poo poo OUT OF MY NEW CAR!....drat it all!.

Will post pics file suit later this week.

Congrats on the new 'stang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Hooch302 posted:

There's nothing wrong with corral.net. They're the right wing equivalent of everything else on the net that is so far left it comes back around full circle. Twice.

They just really didn't like Phil for reasons I can't imagine :dreamy: (military sucks because I can't smoke pot! the south sucks (i'm moving to talledega!)) Yes. I was there for your retardation from 2000ish to 2004ish.

:P

But yeah, even as a conservative, corral.net made my skin crawl. Eh. Mustang site. It's not exactly high brow.

:tinfoil: Who are you?

I never said the South sucks, and the military sucks for a lot of reasons, not being able to smoke pot being just about at the bottom of the list. The admins over there didn't ban me because they didn't like me, they banned me because I asked them to. Too many people took poo poo way too seriously so I had my account nuked and started over. Hell, I have plaques on my wall from a couple different Corral Days.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn

frozenphil posted:

:tinfoil: Who are you?

Nobody of any importance. I don't remember my log in name, tbh. I was mostly just loving with you.

That said, the site really has gone downhill. I don't even think the technical sections are that good anymore.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

There's a reason I mentioned the classifieds specifically. For whatever reason everyone posts their ads on the corral. You'll see different ads posted on a dozen different sites that aren't on others, but they are always cross posted on the corral.

Also, Chris Ihara is a dick.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
Yeah, I always got the stereotypical 'got the poo poo kicked out of me growing up so I'll be a COP and get my revenge!' twat vibe from him. After I sold my Mustangs, I quit visiting the site with any regularity. It's just so...

:downswords:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Super excited for the weekend. Seafoaming with an oil change and then while im under there I am going to wire wheel some rust and then put my BBK O/R X pipe on and my LM2 Catback I just ordered :buddy:

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Super excited for the weekend. Seafoaming with an oil change and then while im under there I am going to wire wheel some rust and then put my BBK O/R X pipe on and my LM2 Catback I just ordered :buddy:

Hope you have ear plugs. Those SLP exhausts are just about louder than open headers.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I read (but not participate in) the Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion subforum on s197forum. It's helped me pick out suspension components for occasional track use. It's how I found out about Koni yellows and how they would turn my 2008 from a choppy, bouncy oxcart into something that rode like a modern car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I can't support s197forum since they not only allow long time scammer SD Wheeler to post there, but actively ban anyone who speaks out against him. The dude has multiple accounts over there, with the full support of the s197forum admins, to pose as customers and offer words of praise for his "company".

By way of offering corroborating evidence for my claims I offer these links. A google search for his name will also turn up many results as well, but it seems the big threads with all of the evidence, Gregg County, Texas warrants, and FBI warrants has gone missing from the corral.

SD Wheeler's involvement with the Fun Ford Weekend racing series and their defense of him was a large reason that the series failed. No one wanted to support an organization that actively defended a known, wanted thief.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Wow, didn't know that. I don't post there, I just read what road racers post about suspension setups.

Got my Ground Control strut mounts in yesterday, still waiting on my set of Steeda Sports. Needed to replace my mounts because the left one started popping. The springs are for light track duty, and apparently they won't break my back around town despite being a bit lower. We'll see!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So, what happens when you put a Procharger F1C on a 2011 GT with a built engine and mild suspension work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtjVpBVbt8

Evolution's 2011 is getting ri-cock-ulous.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

KickStand posted:

That sounds pretty close to my setup. I've got a Pypes O/R H pipe and their Pype Bomb resonator tip mufflers. I thought it was too loud when I put it on but my neighbors haven't complained yet and everyone that hears it has said it sounds good.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

frozenphil posted:

So, what happens when you put a Procharger F1C on a 2011 GT with a built engine and mild suspension work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtjVpBVbt8

I was there. This is insane.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Good. loving. Lord. I would hate to see the repair bill after that landing...

Somebody needs to make @0:40 into a photo so I can replace my desktop background.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

oRenj9 posted:

Somebody needs to make @0:40 into a photo so I can replace my desktop background.

From here

Too bad it's not bigger.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Apparently it was just the headers and oil pan that got fubared. I'm pretty sure Evo can get them at cost. ;)

Also, this is why the new Mustang is a retardedly good bang for the buck.

quote:

Feeling that the stock 5.0 was just about tapped out for what it would reliably make for power, Fred and the rest of the Evolution Performance crew yanked the engine out to make way for an upgraded short block. Since they were ditching the nitrous kit for a F-1C ProCharger, a set of low compression pistons and beefier rods were in order. Outside that, most of the engine remains relatively stock. They had previously ran a best quarter mile time of a 9.11 in testing with their new combination.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Picked up the FRPP tune & K&N drop in filter today. It definitely feels as if there is more low end torque. I actually have issues not spinning the wheels taking off now. Also, the lack of skip shift is glorious.

It does seem like there is more engine note in the cabin, which isn't a bad thing.

A+

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
Going to look at a bone stock '99 Cobra with 49,000 miles. Don't expect any surprises from looking at the pictures.

Keeping fingers crossed...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hooch302 posted:

Going to look at a bone stock '99 Cobra with 49,000 miles. Don't expect any surprises from looking at the pictures.

Keeping fingers crossed...

You'll be the next Bob Cosby!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Can you get a factory Mustang, black with red racing strips that isn't a Shelby? I'm hoping so, because the I don't want to see the repercussions if it turns out this guy was driving a 540+HP car. Everyone was talking about it today.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Can you get a factory Mustang, black with red racing strips that isn't a Shelby? I'm hoping so, because the I don't want to see the repercussions if it turns out this guy was driving a 540+HP car. Everyone was talking about it today.

No, but vinyl stripes aren't exactly expensive or uncommon. What does it matter how much horsepower his car had? The v6 is plenty capable of going 130mph.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

No, but vinyl stripes aren't exactly expensive or uncommon. What does it matter how much horsepower his car had? The v6 is plenty capable of going 130mph.

I know this; it's the public that I'm worried about.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
You're not going to change the public's perception of a vehicle that has been shaped for 46 years...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I know this; it's the public that I'm worried about.

Then it doesn't matter if it was a four banger Fox body, people would still freak out about the "high powered Mustang sports car" that was speeding down the road and killed someone.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So, am I missing it somewhere, or do they not list the condition of the dipshit (Ivey)? I imagine if he crashed hard enough to cause the Buick to explode he'd probably be dead too, but I don't actually see that mentioned.

Fake edit: wait no it says only one person was killed.

Edit: so the dude's in the hospital in unspecified condition. gently caress him.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 6, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You know what's retarded? This is retarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owc0KcDbj2Q

2011 5.0 automatic with the only mods being the FRPP Whipple supercharger kit at 5psi, 4.10 gears, and a tune. You can hear it pushing through the shifts because he has too much gear for the stock converter. The stock converter will also only flash to 1300RPM so there is a bunch left in it once he gets a new one.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

You can hear it pushing through the shifts because he has too much gear for the stock converter. The stock converter will also only flash to 1300RPM so there is a bunch left in it once he gets a new one.

By "too much gear" do you mean the 4.10s are too... short(?) for the converter? And also what do you mean it will only flash to 1300RPM?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

By "too much gear" do you mean the 4.10s are too... short(?) for the converter? And also what do you mean it will only flash to 1300RPM?

Yeah, the 4.10s let the engine spin up too quickly and the transmission doesn't have enough time to get the next shift off before it hits the limiter.

Converter flash is what happens when you go WOT from a dead stop. When you put your foot to the floor and launch you will briefly see the tach go up to a certain RPM before settling back down; that's called "flashing the converter". It's basically a measurement of stall speed. A heavier vehicle offers more resistance to forward motion and therefore requires a higher stall to get it to accelerate, but things like lower (higher numerical) gears can affect converter flash speed since the vehicle can accelerate easier.

In a nutshell, in drag racing a higher stall usually means faster acceleration. There are hundreds of variables here, but that's the basics of it.

Edit: I should add that most people confuse flash stall speed with brake stall speed. Brake stall speed is the point where the torque converter sends power to the transmission from the engine. When you're at the starting line and you keep one foot on the brake and the other eases into the gas until the rear tire spins, that's your brake stall speed. My '03 GT brake stalls at ~1500RPM and flashes to ~1800RPM when I launch. I imagine the guy in the video is referring to a brake stall of 1300RPM.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 7, 2010

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, the 4.10s let the engine spin up too quickly and the transmission doesn't have enough time to get the next shift off before it hits the limiter.

They should have just got one with a six-speed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Cyrezar posted:

They should have just got one with a six-speed.

The automatic in the 2011 Mustangs is a six speed. :confused:
The automatics have also been posting faster 1/4 mile times, on average, than the manual transmissions.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

The automatics have also been posting faster 1/4 mile times, on average, than the manual transmissions.

Isn't that the way it usually is, being that autos can shift faster?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

scapulataf posted:

Isn't that the way it usually is, being that autos can shift faster?

Not stock, no. The higher amount of parasitic loss of the automatic usually makes them a couple tenths slower than a manual. The new auto is just really efficient.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

Not stock, no. The higher amount of parasitic loss of the automatic usually makes them a couple tenths slower than a manual. The new auto is just really efficient.

Got ya. Hence the built autos that the serious draggers use, not just for handling the extra power.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

scapulataf posted:

Got ya. Hence the built autos that the serious draggers use, not just for handling the extra power.

Well, you also don't need gears you'll never see when you're living life a 1/4 mile at a time.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

scapulataf posted:

Not to mention being a hell of a lot more consistent.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

scapulataf posted:

No, a built transmission is pretty much only for handling the extra power. I know a dude with a built TH400 in his twin turbo Cobra that makes 900hp to the tire. He had a T56 before the TH400, everything else was the same, yet he put down right at 1100hp to the tire with the manual. The TH400 cost him 200hp, but he was nearly half a second quicker in the 1/4 mile.

You either get efficient power delivery or you get decent power handling. The new automatic has proven to be efficient, now we're just waiting to see how much power it can reliably hold. So far it looks like 600rwhp and low 10 second ETs are pretty safe. It seems to be a drat good automatic.

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink
Yay!

Just came in yesterday. Drove it home in the rain so I didnt really have a chance to let it trot yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

AtomicBomber posted:

Yay!

Just came in yesterday. Drove it home in the rain so I didnt really have a chance to let it trot yet.

Good choice. This is my favorite color for the 2011s. White's pretty neat too, but white is also pretty boring.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
I went to a Ford dealer the other day to inquire about finding an '03-'04 Cobra convertible. After listening to this guy try to sell me an '07 GT instead and then ask me if I wanted the Cobra in stick or auto, I felt like this was a bad place to be at. I finished up giving him the information on the Cobra I want and left. I'm not sure if going there was the right move at all. Any other suggestions? Aren't there SVT certified dealers who specialize in this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

AtomicBomber posted:

Yay!

Beat me to the punch, that's the exact car I'm going to pick up this afternoon :) Kona blue premium, 3.55's, and 19 inch wheels.

Are those the 19 inchers?

PS: You aren't in mass are you? That rain is the reason I didn't bother to go get it yesterday.