Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

drat this rain! I haven't even been able to even pull the Shelby out of the garage because it's been pouring for 3 days. Today is supposed to be sunny, so I'll have to take it out for a good drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn

John Blaster posted:

I went to a Ford dealer the other day to inquire about finding an '03-'04 Cobra convertible. After listening to this guy try to sell me an '07 GT instead and then ask me if I wanted the Cobra in stick or auto, I felt like this was a bad place to be at. I finished up giving him the information on the Cobra I want and left. I'm not sure if going there was the right move at all. Any other suggestions? Aren't there SVT certified dealers who specialize in this stuff?

Autotrader and ebay with 'any distance' to your location. And prepare to get proper hosed in the rear end without lube by the price. Good luck finding one that hasn't been beat to absolute death or mod'd to hell and back.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

John Blaster posted:

I went to a Ford dealer the other day to inquire about finding an '03-'04 Cobra convertible. After listening to this guy try to sell me an '07 GT instead and then ask me if I wanted the Cobra in stick or auto, I felt like this was a bad place to be at. I finished up giving him the information on the Cobra I want and left. I'm not sure if going there was the right move at all. Any other suggestions? Aren't there SVT certified dealers who specialize in this stuff?

Pretty much every Terminator for sale owned by an enthusiast is going to be posted here.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
So the final specs for the GT350 has been announced.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/07/shelby-releases-final-specs-on-gt350-mustang-power-output-range/

So for the SC'd version you're looking at ~$30K for the donor and another ~$33K for the conversion. So overall ~$63K total.

A GT500 starts at $59K, so who the gently caress would buy this thing? It's just some stuff taken out of FRPP's catalog as well as someone ejaculating SHELBY badges all over the interior and exterior of the car.

I've been reading up on the forums you recommended to me frozenphil, and I'm just :psypop: at some of the stuff I'm seeing, the Mustang community definitely has a different breed of retard than the typical honda fanboy community. It's fascinating in a twisted sort of way.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

whiskas posted:

A GT500 starts at $59K

You're about $10K high of the actual GT500 base price.

But yeah, the S197 GT350 has always been a ripoff.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

whiskas posted:

A GT500 starts at $59K, so who the gently caress would buy this thing? It's just some stuff taken out of FRPP's catalog as well as someone ejaculating SHELBY badges all over the interior and exterior of the car.

Same person who spends $220,000 on a 1969 GTO.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

whiskas posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/07/shelby-releases-final-specs-on-gt350-mustang-power-output-range/

So for the SC'd version you're looking at ~$30K for the donor and another ~$33K for the conversion. So overall ~$63K total.

I've been reading up on the forums you recommended to me frozenphil, and I'm just :psypop: at some of the stuff I'm seeing, the Mustang community definitely has a different breed of retard than the typical honda fanboy community. It's fascinating in a twisted sort of way.

GT500 is $47k with svt track pack... probably is 90% of the car this is. Not sure how theyre putting down 3.7 sec 0-60 but the gt500 apparently does it in like 4 flat or 4.1. However gently caress all that, buy a mustang gt with brembos for a little bit above $30k, then some FRPP suspension and supercharger for $10k INSTALLED and enjoy your car that is 99% of this car. Also its not loving ugly as poo poo.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

whiskas posted:

Congrats on your Shelby education! Caroll is a whore and gives no fucks as long as he's making the duckets.

I told you not to read anything outside of the tech forums, but you couldn't help yourself.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I told you not to read anything outside of the tech forums, but you couldn't help yourself.

Train wreck analogy.

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

kronix posted:

Are those the 19 inchers?

PS: You aren't in mass are you? That rain is the reason I didn't bother to go get it yesterday.

Yep those are the 19's. I think they look great ... much better than the 18's, as there is a pretty sizeable gap in the wheelwell.

I am in Canada, and it has been raining here too. Had her out today though and holy hell this thing has TORQUE to spare. Really takes my breath away when I punch it.

Definately my favourite car I have ever owned.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aside from the usual dramatic price gouging by Carroll "GUYS I MADE THE COBRA" Shelby, look at this picture right here:

The new car is both ugly and boring, especially in comparison to the 65 behind it. Look how they tried to transplant the grille shape of the old one onto the 2011 - it simply does not flow well with the lines of the car. The ground effects kit makes it look like some NASCAR wannabe, and the headlights look rather :downs:.

Also, those rims are hideous.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

My favorite part of the GT350 is the gauge pod:

What's so bad? Zoom enhance!

Sure thing, just drywall screw that Autometer gauge pod that doesn't match the color of the rest of the interior to the A pillar. I bet they charge like $500 for that $50 gauge pod too.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 8, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:/ It makes me really sad that Carroll Shelby just goes with this bullshit.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

kimbo305 posted:

:/ It makes me really sad that Carroll Shelby just goes with this bullshit.

http://jalopnik.com/5646090/carroll-shelby-shreds-his-dignity-with-new-coffee-maker

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Anyone with a late-model Mustang care to opine on how good a car it is, aside from speed & handling? I know it's not supposed to be a Camry, but are they reasonably free from rattles & squeaks? Is it day-to-day reliable? How is the paint quality and durability? Does the power stuff and electronics work? Is the new 6-speed automatic tranny durable, or a POS like the AOD 4-speed on my T-bird 5.0?

I've been a GM guy for almost 20 years because my '91 T-bird was a POS. But owner reports I see on forums about the new-gen Camaros are not very good, when it comes to reliability, lovely waterbased paint that chips if you look at it funny, funny noises, cylinder deactivation crap, etc.

I don't want to drop 30+ large on a new car that frequently has to go back to the dealer, for anything besides an oil change. I'd rather keep my GTO, except it's fugly.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 8, 2010

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

My favorite part of the GT350 is the gauge pod:

Sure thing, just drywall screw that Autometer gauge pod that doesn't match the color of the rest of the interior to the A pillar. I bet they charge like $500 for that $50 gauge pod too.

I'm sure those are quality screws, don't diss the screws.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

AtomicBomber posted:

Yep those are the 19's. I think they look great ... much better than the 18's, as there is a pretty sizeable gap in the wheelwell.

I am in Canada, and it has been raining here too. Had her out today though and holy hell this thing has TORQUE to spare. Really takes my breath away when I punch it.

Definately my favourite car I have ever owned.

Just picked up mine last night, no good pictures yet and I took it to work this morning. I usually take the bus but I ponied up the $25 to park it just for the privilege of driving it this morning and holy hell is it a fun car. I actually hit the skip shift a few times and was shocked how much pull it had even in after going 1st to 4th.

The traction control is absolutely amazing, I played around a little bit on some empty roads last night and tried to break the rear out a little bit like I used to on my old '95 Camaro and it's nearly impossible to spin out the back on try pavement without being a total rear end about it. It's one thing I hated about that car, more than once the stupid thing had the back walk out on me for almost no good reason and I'm glad to know that for the most part, I most likely won't have to worry about it.

Definitely my favorite car that I've ever owned and one of my favorites that I've ever driven.

Fake edit: the car is a total dude magnet, I don't think one girl has even taken a look at it but every dude from cops, to white collar suits, to gangster looking guys stops and looks.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kronix posted:

Fake edit: the car is a total dude magnet, I don't think one girl has even taken a look at it but every dude from cops, to white collar suits, to gangster looking guys stops and looks.

When I take my son to pre-school in the Shelby, every other kid's father stares and comments on it. There's one other guy with a 2002-ish GT that is all tarted up and bodykitted, with a sticker in the rear window that says "HELL YEAH! IT'S FAST!", and whenever he sees it, he gets this impressed/depressed look. There's just no way of hiding in a new Mustang.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I have a friend who works for Ford who has stories about taking out the Ford GT during testing. He said that he got swamped by dudes everywhere he stopped like he was in some boy band and they were teenage girls. He also has stories about midnight drag races and burnouts at the GM HQ too.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Number_6 posted:

Anyone with a late-model Mustang care to opine on how good a car it is, aside from speed & handling? I know it's not supposed to be a Camry, but are they reasonably free from rattles & squeaks? Is it day-to-day reliable? How is the paint quality and durability? Does the power stuff and electronics work? Is the new 6-speed automatic tranny durable, or a POS like the AOD 4-speed on my T-bird 5.0?

I've been a GM guy for almost 20 years because my '91 T-bird was a POS. But owner reports I see on forums about the new-gen Camaros are not very good, when it comes to reliability, lovely waterbased paint that chips if you look at it funny, funny noises, cylinder deactivation crap, etc.

I don't want to drop 30+ large on a new car that frequently has to go back to the dealer, for anything besides an oil change. I'd rather keep my GTO, except it's fugly.

My '11 has been reliable so far (not that 3 months / 3300 miles is any test), but it does have a few rattles. There is a faint rattle that sounds like a wire loom vibrating against the body that comes from both sides of the car near the B pillars. My passenger side door skin rattles when a song has any bass at all (going to fix this when I replace the speakers by adding some dynamat). Nothing I'd send it back to the dealer for, though.

I did run into a weird problem last night, however. I was at a red light that was staying red for way too drat long, and the light I wanted to hit was already green ahead of me, so I impatiently revved the engine twice and the engine cut on the 2nd rev. It started right up and was fine after that.

I'm going to chalk that one up to the new tune.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I have an '11 GT with about 2800 miles. The car has had no issues so far (knock on wood) and it incredibly tight and well made. I owned import cars for the past 10 years and it is as good as any Honda or Toyota I had.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well I got my O/R X pipe and my SLP Catback on but now the car sounds like a tractor because I snapped two of the header flange studs! :downsgun:

There is plenty of material to pull the old ones off and replace with new but I cant get at them and I am done loving with it. Any idea how much this is going to cost me? Its one drat stud on either side

Edit: 4 new studs are $10 I wonder what the labor is going to cost.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 10, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Well I got my O/R X pipe and my SLP Catback on but now the car sounds like a tractor because I snapped two of the header flange studs! :downsgun:

There is plenty of material to pull the old ones off and replace with new but I cant get at them and I am done loving with it. Any idea how much this is going to cost me? Its one drat stud on either side

Depends on the shop, but most are going to want to drop the k-member. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $1,000 quote because no one wants to do that job.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Depends on the shop, but most are going to want to drop the k-member. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $1,000 quote because no one wants to do that job.

gently caress. Looks like im going back under it, there are threads lift on both the studs would heating them up with a propane torch and using a stud removal tool be my best bet for removing these fuckers?

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 10, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

KickStand posted:

Wow how the gently caress did you do this, i bought an x-pipe but havent installed it yet and want to avoid snapping the studs (whatever that means).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

gently caress. Looks like im going back under it, there are threads lift on both the studs would heating them up with a propane torch and using a stud removal tool be my best bet for removing these fuckers?

Yeah, that should work.

Omegaslast posted:

Wow how the gently caress did you do this, i bought an x-pipe but havent installed it yet and want to avoid snapping the studs (whatever that means).

poo poo happens. I didn't have any problem with mine, but it's not exactly uncommon. The studs he's referring to are on the end of the manifold. You can see them pretty clearly here on these S197 manifolds.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, that should work.

poo poo happens. I didn't have any problem with mine, but it's not exactly uncommon. The studs he's referring to are on the end of the manifold. You can see them pretty clearly here on these S197 manifolds.

Yup those are the little fuckers. Especially that lower one on the passenger side :argh:

Picked up a new torch and Autozone gave me the wrong size studs. Now I gotta return those and find the right size ones. Also gotta find my stud extractor.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Number_6 posted:

I've been a GM guy for almost 20 years because my '91 T-bird was a POS. But owner reports I see on forums about the new-gen Camaros are not very good, when it comes to reliability, lovely waterbased paint that chips if you look at it funny, funny noises, cylinder deactivation crap, etc.fugly.

Sounds like you should stay with a carburetor, grandpa. I don't think Mustangs (or any cars* for that matter) have reliability problems beyond idiots on forums wishing they could tune a double pumper by ear than plug in a computer and have it start and get fuel economy. Its not 1976 anymore. You don't need to read plugs or change that stupid early SBC rear main anymore.

*Subaru paint, Chrysler anything, Ford old stuff.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Sorry I keep asking questions but I feel like I am better off having you guys answer then anyone on any of the mustang forums.

If I get these drat things out could I just replace them with some bolts with some lock washers and lock tight?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Number_6 posted:

I have a 2008GT with 40k miles. I bought it in California, drove it to Texas, then up to colorado and back to Texas, then over to Alabama and Georgia, back to Texas and now I'm in Arizona. I've had zero issues with anything other than the standard '05-09 dashboard squeeking and some kinda loose side mirror covers, oh and I broke the lumbar support in the drivers chair after playing with it on a road trip back to Cali. Other than that it's run like a friggn' champ, and as far as I know they fixed the dashboard squeeking with the '10 models and later when they moved the air vents back into the panels and changed the carbon fiber around a bit. From all that driving I have a few minor dings in the paint but it's been fine otherwise, even going from the extremes of San Antonio/Montgomery humid summers to Colorado winters down to Arizona bone dry summers.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 11, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Sorry I keep asking questions but I feel like I am better off having you guys answer then anyone on any of the mustang forums.

If I get these drat things out could I just replace them with some bolts with some lock washers and lock tight?

I guess you could, but they are going to be a monster pain in the rear end to put in and they're going to make it a bitch to remove the mid pipe in the future. Just get the factory studs and save yourself the hassle. Maybe spray some protective lube on them once a year to keep rust at bay. Like I said, it's not uncommon for them to break after years of service, but it's also not uncommon for them to be perfectly fine.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Number_6 posted:

My 2006 has a few creaks and rattles on colder days and if I crank the bass on the stereo I can find one or two more, but all in all I have no complaints. The vast majority of the time it's better than most economy sedans I've driven by a fair margin. It's certainly not a BMW or Mercedes in terms of cabin silence though, and I'd be sorta sad if it was.

Paint has been very durable - one total chip from a loving semi plus some minor dings that buffed out from an rear end in a top hat who ran a shopping cart into it.

Electronics: pretty reliable - in the time I've had it (two years now) I think the stereo has fritzed out once, and that was right before the battery went (@ around 36k miles, because the previous owner apparently lied to me about having replaced the battery). I try to avoid firing everything up at once when I start it up, but I also do things like leaving the stereo/AC on when I turn the car off with zero ill effects. No complaints about any of the power assisted stuff - auto-descend windows (one button press = down all the way) and auto-tightening seatbelts (accelerate fast enough and the seatbelt snugs up to hold you tight) were two of the nicer surprises.

The transmission has been pretty durable for me, but for the most part I'm going about 5 miles on city streets as my day-to-day commute, so it's not really getting a chance to stretch its legs other than the freeway (admittedly the 5, the PCH, and Ortega all have their benefits). :D

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Thanks for the reports.

Except for this guy, I have no idea what he's talking about. Apparently he thinks all cars built after 1976 are flawless and have unquestionable reliability.

Baby Hitler posted:

Sounds like you should stay with a carburetor, grandpa. I don't think Mustangs (or any cars* for that matter) have reliability problems beyond idiots on forums wishing they could tune a double pumper by ear than plug in a computer and have it start and get fuel economy. Its not 1976 anymore. You don't need to read plugs or change that stupid early SBC rear main anymore.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Whats the least-hassle way of getting a 5.0 with the Roush fascia and billet grill? Is there any interaction between dealerships and Roush that would let me customize it before delivery?

I also really want to know where to get the black version of the 20" ford custom rims they used in the V6 ad.

Click here for the full 960x540 image.

DoomCenturion
Aug 4, 2007

drat space alien demons killed my rabbit

Number_6 posted:

Anyone with a late-model Mustang care to opine on how good a car it is, aside from speed & handling? I know it's not supposed to be a Camry, but are they reasonably free from rattles & squeaks? Is it day-to-day reliable? How is the paint quality and durability? Does the power stuff and electronics work?

I've had a 2010 for a year now, and it has held up pretty well. There have not been any noteworthy rattles or squeaks. In terms of reliability, I have not had anything break, but I need to upgrade the Sync system with version 3 at some point, so I might just yet brick the computer in the thing. Maintenance so far has just been regular oil changes and nothing unreasonable. I have not driven it super hard aside from hammering the throttle once in a while.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

My 112k mile '03 Mustang GT has about the same amount of squeaks and rattles as my 45k mile '09 Honda and outside of normal wear items I've only had to replace the alternator. The battery even lasted 7 years and 107k miles. I do have a power window switch or regulator starting to get flaky on the driver's window and the seatbelt tensioner on the driver's side can be slow on the uptake.

TurboTard posted:

Whats the least-hassle way of getting a 5.0 with the Roush fascia and billet grill? Is there any interaction between dealerships and Roush that would let me customize it before delivery?

I also really want to know where to get the black version of the 20" ford custom rims they used in the V6 ad.

Click here for the full 960x540 image.

The least hassle way would be buying them from the aftermarket and putting them on yourself. If your dealer sells Roush vehicles they may be willing to put them on for you if you negioate that in to the price.

As for the wheels, are they the RTR wheels?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Number_6 posted:

Thanks for the reports.

Except for this guy, I have no idea what he's talking about. Apparently he thinks all cars built after 1976 are flawless and have unquestionable reliability.

He's saying a lot of people who complain were perfectly happy adjusting their carbs every two months but oh my god is that a MAF it's goin to break once in a 200k lifespan what a piece of poo poo pain in the rear end system what do you mean my car has an interior where are my bias plys *makes 150 gross hp from 454 cubic inches, gets smoked by a camry, parks in corner at car show and talks poo poo about jap crap and 500hp*

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 11, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Number_6 posted:

Because its true, comparing old cars to new cars. Market forces (ha!) and owner dissemination of flaws have done as much for cars as better cheap metallurgy and quality control (and the Japanese building everything and making a mockery of lovely American compromise-commuters). Sure its a $30K car with stratospheric performance, so something might be cheaper to make up for engine development. Its the same complaint about the Corvette, its a $39K engine in a $10K car. Doesn't make it any less fast, just that you have to stare ate the radio from a SUV and steering wheel from a 13K Cobalt.

There are notable exceptions that I have no reason to explain, but in general cost of ownership is way down, cars last longer, and you'll survive a crash. Cars have gotten performance beyond what could even be feasibly done with street suspensions in a 20+ year old model, power from displacement with low BSFCs, tons of awesome things. I'm mostly complaint because you sound like someone who has little understanding if current tech and distrusts it. The Mustang is not a Maserati BiTurbo or 70s smog-era shitpile full of rich Corinthian Leather*.

*would be a nice option though.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 11, 2010

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

My 112k mile '03 Mustang GT has about the same amount of squeaks and rattles as my 45k mile '09 Honda and outside of normal wear items I've only had to replace the alternator. The battery even lasted 7 years and 107k miles. I do have a power window switch or regulator starting to get flaky on the driver's window and the seatbelt tensioner on the driver's side can be slow on the uptake.

The least hassle way would be buying them from the aftermarket and putting them on yourself. If your dealer sells Roush vehicles they may be willing to put them on for you if you negioate that in to the price.

As for the wheels, are they the RTR wheels?

Those look exactly like the wheels I picked out in the customizer trying to match the commercial.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Nice job, how did you know? Are these well known wheels?

Will it look weird with 9.5" all around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

TurboTard posted:

Those look exactly like the wheels I picked out in the customizer trying to match the commercial.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Nice job, how did you know? Are these well known wheels?

Will it look weird with 9.5" all around?

Just a guess. The Mustang RTR is Vaugh Gitten Jr.'s "special edition" Mustang. It's a $7900 bodykit, stripe, gauge, and wheel package, but the wheels are the only thing I care for on it.

They look badass with basically any color, but Grabber Blue really pops with them.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 11, 2010