Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You are looking for exactly The Witcher

And to think I was actually this close to getting The Witcher anyway. How is combat in The Witcher? I looked up a few videos and it looked pretty fun and engaging, but some people in this thread have complained about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I really enjoy first-person RPGs--something about it really pulls me into the game a lot more. Morrowind is one of my all-time faves, and I've played and enjoyed the other Elder Scrolls games, and right now I'm playing through Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for a second time.

I played it when it first came out, but had kind of forgotten in the last few years how awesome and fun it is, and I'm really enjoying going through it again. It has some weak spots (VO, overall story is sort of cliched, occasional glitchy AI and slightly iffy game mechanics at times), but the environments are cool and the combat is fun, and I'm enjoying trying out some different directions in character development this time around. I highly recommend it (available on Steam).

Can anyone recommend other first-person RPGs that I might have missed?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Contra Calculus posted:

And to think I was actually this close to getting The Witcher anyway. How is combat in The Witcher? I looked up a few videos and it looked pretty fun and engaging, but some people in this thread have complained about it.
It's way action-y, of course, but tough fights require planning in the form of what potions to chug down before you go at it. Potions are a HUGE part of the game. They offer absolutely massive stat bonuses, or other abilities like being able to see enemies through walls and stuff, but they fill your toxicity gauge, too high and you start seeing red flecks and stuff (which is also pretty awesome). I haven't seen what happens when you max it out though.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's way action-y, of course, but tough fights require planning in the form of what potions to chug down before you go at it. Potions are a HUGE part of the game. They offer absolutely massive stat bonuses, or other abilities like being able to see enemies through walls and stuff, but they fill your toxicity gauge, too high and you start seeing red flecks and stuff (which is also pretty awesome). I haven't seen what happens when you max it out though.

This is exactly right. I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure even the descriptions of the different difficulty options were basically telling you how heavily you were going to be relying on alchemy at each difficulty.

That said, the combat in that game is awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah and over the shoulder mode is the ONLY way to do it. Don't even bother with the others. I wasted so much time with those first.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
I'm playing through the Witcher for the first time right now and it's pretty rewarding how potion use can be. Drinking a black blood potion before entering a fleder nest and having 4 of them stun you and take turns drinking your poison blood before dying was pretty :justasplanned:.

Edit: F2 crew.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cryle posted:

I'm playing through the Witcher for the first time right now and it's pretty rewarding how potion use can be. Drinking a black blood potion before entering a fleder nest and having 4 of them stun you and take turns drinking your poison blood before dying was pretty :justasplanned:.

Edit: F2 crew.
Haha, is THAT what that potion does? From the description I thought you drank it and it killed you. I figured it had some kind of plot significance or something...

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
It instantly kills anything that tries to eat or drink you alive.
Why the witcher is the best RPG: prepatory alchemy is like 70% of the combat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

aas Bandit posted:

I really enjoy first-person RPGs--something about it really pulls me into the game a lot more. Morrowind is one of my all-time faves, and I've played and enjoyed the other Elder Scrolls games, and right now I'm playing through Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for a second time.

I played it when it first came out, but had kind of forgotten in the last few years how awesome and fun it is, and I'm really enjoying going through it again. It has some weak spots (VO, overall story is sort of cliched, occasional glitchy AI and slightly iffy game mechanics at times), but the environments are cool and the combat is fun, and I'm enjoying trying out some different directions in character development this time around. I highly recommend it (available on Steam).

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? You play as a newly embraced Vampire who is forced to take part in a power struggle between two different factions in modern day LA. The gameplay is similar to Deus Ex in that it is a hybrid FPS and RPG with stats determining damage and accuracy of guns as well as stealth and melee being viable options for much of the game. The writing and VO are excellent and the unofficial fan patch restores some cut content and fixes a ton of bugs. Really great game.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

WrightOfWay posted:

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

I have, and probably should have mentioned that (and Deus Ex as well, which is one of my all time favorite games). Thanks for the reply anyway. :)

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Cryle posted:

That's what sort of bothered me. You want to make a fight easy? Just pop a potion with low toxicity that has albedo in it, then buff yourself with high toxicity potions. I think you can use all the useful ones without any adverse effects from toxicity due to the albedo. Ah well. Was still a fun game :)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cryle posted:

It instantly kills anything that tries to eat or drink you alive.

Tho its not like vampires and the like are hard to kill in the first place. The only real problem vampire is the powerful female one if you do the Elven Ruins quest for the Elves. Otherwise, they're pretty easy; just go to town with the Strong/Fast styles, depending on the the enemy type.

Xenix posted:

That's what sort of bothered me. You want to make a fight easy? Just pop a potion with low toxicity that has albedo in it, then buff yourself with high toxicity potions. I think you can use all the useful ones without any adverse effects from toxicity due to the albedo. Ah well. Was still a fun game :)

That's part of the fun. Taking down the evil Arab wizard guy and the evil Order leader at the end is very satisfying if you are pumped full of potions like Swallow and Wolverine. Sure, it makes them piss easy to fight, but completely thrashing the main bad guys is always awesome.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 10, 2010

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Xenix posted:

Huh, i thought albedo only effected the potion you were using it on. Not that it matters, i'm pretty confident the only ~~Required~~ potion is swallow, and all the rest are flavour.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

aas Bandit posted:

If you like Elder Scrolls games, do yourself a MASSIVE favor and install the Nehrim mod for Oblivion. I'll let that page do the convincing.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Ragequit posted:

If you like Elder Scrolls games, do yourself a MASSIVE favor and install the Nehrim mod for Oblivion. I'll let that page do the convincing.
Hmmn. I passed along my copy of Oblivion to an interested friend a long time ago, knowing that I liked Morrowind much better. Maybe I'll have to grab Oblivion again.

Edit: Re-grabbed the super-bonus-extensive-everything version of Oblivion from Steam, along with Alpha Protocol, which looked good. Downloading now. That should keep me busy for a while.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 10, 2010

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Cryle posted:

Huh, i thought albedo only effected the potion you were using it on. Not that it matters, i'm pretty confident the only ~~Required~~ potion is swallow, and all the rest are flavour.

No, it reduced toxicity on all potions you drink within the next game hour.

Also potions were integral to the way Witchers fought. That's cool, it adds flavor and fun to the game. I guess the thing I was opposed to was that once you started finding high quality bases for your potions, it was just so easy to stay totally hopped up on very strong potions with no adverse effects. It is fun to totally thrash your enemies. I just think that albedo should have been harder to get a hold of so that it was a valuable commodity that you saved for a rough spot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, Google ain't turning up any Exit Fate threads on SA, so I'm just gonna ask one short question here- how the heck do you increase Joe's chances of Stealing something? Is it a matter of Skill or something?

P/S: Thanks to all the goons who recommended this game- it rocks!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, Google ain't turning up any Exit Fate threads on SA, so I'm just gonna ask one short question here- how the heck do you increase Joe's chances of Stealing something? Is it a matter of Skill or something?

As far as I can tell it's mostly dumb luck, emphasis on "dumb".

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Depends on the difficulty. Potions are only necessary if you play on the hardest (which you should, in my opinion). Otherwise combat is rather trivial as long as you don't let yourself get surrounded.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thuryl posted:

As far as I can tell it's mostly dumb luck, emphasis on "dumb".

Well balls. Any other thief character I could recruit by then? I'm about to fight to defend Mayfall, if that's any help.

EDIT: Who's the best mage? And how should I trick out Daniel? So far, I've just kitted him out to be a tank (lots of Steel Bracers and whatnot) with Ayara doing most of the damage.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 11, 2010

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Well balls. Any other thief character I could recruit by then? I'm about to fight to defend Mayfall, if that's any help.

EDIT: Who's the best mage? And how should I trick out Daniel? So far, I've just kitted him out to be a tank (lots of Steel Bracers and whatnot) with Ayara doing most of the damage.

It really depends on what kind of mage you want - one who can hit hard when the chips are down and you're running low on spells and MP, or a casting God. Personally, I'm liking Francesca - she has good accuracy and solid a solid MAG stat, and when all else fails has a decent attack and a weapon that isn't one hundred percent useless.

Daniel is always best as a combination unit - good with both magic and melee, but not great with either. Try to keep him balanced, with both bracers and copper rings or some poo poo like that.

By the way, you may want to start grinding out some levels before going to get the character Erin sends you to find post-Mayfall. The area is hard as balls, and some of the normal encounters have more hitpoints that the upper-end bosses you've fought. You remember those bastards the Ogres that were rare in the Highland overworld? They're a standard encounter, along with the Minotaurs, and always come in groups with other things.

Oh, and Joe's theiving can be improved through dexterity and speed, though it takes an assload of the stuff to actually make a marked difference.

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 11, 2010

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chic Trombone posted:

It really depends on what kind of mage you want - one who can hit hard when the chips are down and you're running low on spells and MP, or a casting God. Personally, I'm liking Francesca - she has good accuracy and solid a solid MAG stat, and when all else fails has a decent attack and a weapon that isn't one hundred percent useless.

Daniel is always best as a combination unit - good with both magic and melee, but not great with either. Try to keep him balanced, with both bracers and copper rings or some poo poo like that.

By the way, you may want to start grinding out some levels before going to get the character Erin sends you to find post-Mayfall. The area is hard as balls, and some of the normal encounters have more hitpoints that the upper-end bosses you've fought. You remember those bastards the Ogres that were rare in the Highland overworld? They're a standard encounter, along with the Minotaurs, and always come in groups with other things.

Oh, and Joe's theiving can be improved through dexterity and speed, though it takes an assload of the stuff to actually make a marked difference.

All right then, advice taken. At the moment, my mages are Yan Yngwe or however the sod you spell his name, thanks to his high MP regen, and Ljusalf (because he's Danny's bro). Maybe I will swap the first out for Francesca; I've been to the Highlands, and the encounters there nearly slaughtered me.

As for Jow, if you're right then I've already done all I can :( No armour, Scarves up the wazoo, the guy's as fast as he can be now.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

All right then, advice taken. At the moment, my mages are Yan Yngwe or however the sod you spell his name, thanks to his high MP regen, and Ljusalf (because he's Danny's bro). Maybe I will swap the first out for Francesca; I've been to the Highlands, and the encounters there nearly slaughtered me.

As for Jow, if you're right then I've already done all I can :( No armour, Scarves up the wazoo, the guy's as fast as he can be now.

What level is your party at, generally? By level 21, Francesca has as high as/better MP regeneration that Yan-whatever. And I really don't like Ljusalf. I don't know why, but I just really dislike him.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chic Trombone posted:

What level is your party at, generally? By level 21, Francesca has as high as/better MP regeneration that Yan-whatever. And I really don't like Ljusalf. I don't know why, but I just really dislike him.

Generally 22, but that's just my 'main party' of:

Daniel
Ljusalf
Yan
Col
Joe (solely for stealing; steel bracers for $375 each? YES)
Ayara

Maybe I'll swap out Yan for Francesa and grind; if push comes to shove, I might as well start a new game, since I think I've missed out on a few characters .

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 11, 2010

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Generall 22, but that's just my 'main party' of:

Daniel
Ljusalf
Yan
Col
Joe (solely for stealing; steel bracers for $375 each? YES)
Ayara

Maybe I'll swap out Yan for Francesa and grind; if push comes to shove, I might as well start a new game, since I think I've missed out on a few characters .

You can't actually miss a character permanently, and with that party you should be able to live through the next area, if you run from the encounters with bribes of 70+.

I'm in the area now, with level 22:
Daniel
Ayara
Francesca
Stromgaard
Mike
and a level 19 Joe.

I also have Ljusalf and Yannie boy chilling in the Entourage in case I find myself in need of some serious magic-ing.

And for the record, strength-for-strength Stromgaard is a better unit than Col overall, even if he's less speedy.

Edit: It's probably worth a mention that the new enemy you'll encounter has the +10 HP Leather Belt as a steal item. Those can be sold for a decent sum.

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 11, 2010

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chic Trombone posted:

You can't actually miss a character permanently, and with that party you should be able to live through the next area, if you run from the encounters with bribes of 70+.

I'm in the area now, with level 22:
Daniel
Ayara
Francesca
Stromgaard
Mike
and a level 19 Joe.

I also have Ljusalf and Yannie boy chilling in the Entourage in case I find myself in need of some serious magic-ing.

And for the record, strength-for-strength Stromgaard is a better unit than Col overall, even if he's less speedy.

I'll keep that in mind. Anyone have good relations with Stromgaard? And how important is that bonus anyway?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I'll keep that in mind. Anyone have good relations with Stromgaard? And how important is that bonus anyway?

He has a C with Col, but that's all I know for now. I'm just a bit ahead of you in the game, honestly. I'm somewhere midway in where you're going next. I'm through that part, it's shorter that I thought it would be, thank God.

No idea how important the bonus is, but it seems to add to a character's attack and defense when a character they have a bond with goes down for the count.

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 11, 2010

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chic Trombone posted:

He has a C with Col, but that's all I know for now. I'm just a bit ahead of you in the game, honestly. I'm somewhere midway in where you're going next. I'm through that part, it's shorter that I thought it would be, thank God.

No idea how important the bonus is, but it seems to add to a character's attack and defense when a character they have a bond with goes down for the count.

But no 'in-game' bonuses? FEH.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Who's the best mage?

There's two who are miles and miles away from everyone else: Myst (highest magic growth in the game and Focus to let him build MP even faster), and Reod (ridiculously high speed and Fire-based means he can Haste himself and get three or four turns in a row before everyone else and can also use Steal). You won't get Reod until about halfway through, but Myst can be obtained as soon as the Second Battle for Mayfall, I believe.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

But no 'in-game' bonuses? FEH.

There might be. I really have no idea, I haven't tested it much.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.
Man, recently I can't think of anything other than Mass Effect 1 and 2, not from Japan either. KOTOR is kinda scifi....

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, recently I can't think of anything other than Mass Effect 1 and 2, not from Japan either. KOTOR is kinda scifi....

I've played through KOTOR 1 & 2, good games but not really great enough to go back to again since I've played them twice.

Alas... :(

I'm open to Japanese games I guess, if they're legit games and not grindy pieces of poo poo that people play because they're hooked on 12-year old animu girls.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vermain posted:

There's two who are miles and miles away from everyone else: Myst (highest magic growth in the game and Focus to let him build MP even faster), and Reod (ridiculously high speed and Fire-based means he can Haste himself and get three or four turns in a row before everyone else and can also use Steal). You won't get Reod until about halfway through, but Myst can be obtained as soon as the Second Battle for Mayfall, I believe.

How about that old dude in the castle? I read he's got awesome magic skills when he's leveled up.

That said, I think I'll stick with Francesca for my magic, not to mention her general utility. I was also thinking Daniel might do, if it were not for his general averageness making him useful as a tank.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 11, 2010

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

Also, don't worry about missing characters. You can recruit some characters earlier if you do things right (A-Rank a certain war battle, or visit the archer at the inn of the elven village before you leave on the boat), but everyone can still join in the end. Even once you've finished the game.

Thanks man!

Also, one final question- does the amount of party members make a difference in how much XP one gets? I'm thinking of just rolling out with Daniel, Franchesca and Joe to level Frannie up.

poo poo, where's SCF when you need him/her?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I seem to recall that Jovian is really, really, really good too. Probably one of the top three melee fighters overall.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't seen what happens when you max it out though.

Your vision completely reds out and you die. I like to think it's a heart attack that explodes out your eyeballs.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 11, 2010

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

E: Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

I think the leveling system is how it is in the Suikoden games. 1,000 EXP per level, the higher your level the less EXP you get from enemies. The lower your level, the more EXP you get simply for participating in battles.

Which means if you have a party of 5 level 80's and 1 level 5 character and beat a bonus end-game sidequest battle, your level 80's will get maybe 1 level and the level 1 will get about 40-60. Which means you don't need to grind to test out new characters.

So each character gets a 'flat' amount of XP for each battle, adjusted for level? It won't matter if I bring one or a thousand (well, 5) party members, a level 7 character is going to get 100 XP regardless of how many friends she had with her at the time?