Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pointless Metaphor
Jan 13, 2009
[Disclaimer: I'm retarded and inconsiderate and all that jazz.]
Last night I didn't get to drive home from work until after 1AM, so with no one on the road and feeling quite frustrated, I hit 140 mph on a long straight in my 2008.5.

I was amazed at how stable the car felt at 140; while I can't hyperbolize and say it was the same as going 80, I can confidently say it did not feel that much less solid.

While I certainly won't be going that fast in the near future, I'll add it to the list of reasons I freaking love this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pointless Metaphor posted:

[Disclaimer: I'm retarded and inconsiderate and all that jazz.]
Last night I didn't get to drive home from work until after 1AM, so with no one on the road and feeling quite frustrated, I hit 140 mph on a long straight in my 2008.5.

I was amazed at how stable the car felt at 140; while I can't hyperbolize and say it was the same as going 80, I can confidently say it did not feel that much less solid.

While I certainly won't be going that fast in the near future, I'll add it to the list of reasons I freaking love this car.

I've always wanted to get the max speed indicator on my GPS to show around 155mph, but I'm way too chicken to get it up there.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I took a photo of the gauges in test mode. I was doing an indicated 160+ mph with the needle blurring. Upon sending it to MY GIRLFRIEND she was more upset that I'd gone that fast without her than she was that I didn't have her take the picture while doing it.

I can think of several places around here where ~120-130 is easily obtainable, but you'd be hard pressed to find a highway on the east cost that isn't just barely curvy enough to make 155 scary as hell.

And uh, obey your local speed laws, or something.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

AWD Tuning announced they are doing open source tunes for the MS3. Additional local forum drama and skepticism ensues as follow up (not surprising). Someone went out there and got tuned yesterday though!

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I wish the Mazdaspeed ECU tuning market were as mature as the VW market.

If I still had my GTI, I could go to any one of 5 major companies and get a flash that I know has been tried and tested on thousands and thousands of cars. GIAC, APR, Revo, etc.

I know that a unique tune for each car is a positive thing, but I like knowing that those tunes are built inside the safe limits of the hardware. I feel like if I get a custom tune, it's going to be at the edge of what the car can handle safely and I don't really want that. Sure I want more power, but I don't want it at the cost of piece of mind.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
Well, gently caress.
Not only have I not had a chance to fix my brakes (adjusting to going back to school is hellish) but now I have to file an insurance claim because some drat wench forgot to check her blind spot. She almost tore off the back bumper.

Anyone know a good body shop in south jersey?

edit: Is there still a Mazda curse?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Curse was lifted a year ago

:allears:

Wind normally comes from a direction that would have sent the tree down on the car. Have to hand it to shipping containers though, the thing barely has a dent on it from that tree falling on it.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Syd posted:

Curse was lifted a year ago

Well gently caress me.
At least my insurance company (I love USAA) is going after her. I saw the top of her insurance card when we were at the police station (accident in Camden, NJ = no police response despite being three blocks from the station; show up after class to file a report) and I think it was the lovely "I have too many points for real insurance" state funded crap. If that's the case, there shouldn't be much difficulty getting her to foot the bill.

I still don't understand what the gently caress she was thinking. I mean, I've forgotten to check my blind spot before, but once someone beeps at me to say they're there I get back and wait for the lane to clear. She just looked at me like I was wrong for not wanting her to hit my car.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Stupid loving mistake, at-fault accident, MS6 is probably totaled.

gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So to move the discussion away from crashes...a few times now I've been idling around in heavy traffic in my MS3, and when I finally get some clear road, I stand on it...and get some very audible knock, usually in third gear.

Is this just a fact of life and I need to just be more careful about standing on it when it's been heatsoaking the hell out of the intercooler, or is there something I should look at?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Are you sure it's the engine and not the trans? It is one quick knock?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

Are you sure it's the engine and not the trans? It is one quick knock?

Like four or five in very quick succession. Way too quick to be the trans knocking around...at least it seems like it, and it only happens after a situation where it could have been heat-soaked. Bolting up a freeway onramp when I haven't been sitting in traffic never causes it.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 30, 2010

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Interesting. Bad gas? Has it been consistent or is it new?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's happened several times over the past few months. I fill up almost exclusively at QuikTrip.

I should probably throw some monitoring on it and see if I can replicate it, see if I really am getting knock or something else. Or, just try to remember not to stomp on it when it's heatsoaked to hell.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Still under warranty? Maybe have it checked out. Try filling up at a different station, too.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I've never had knock... I made a DIY SRI that would cause fuel cut at WOT in 3rd gear when it was cold out, I've never had knock... bad fuel sure could be a cause. I hate to ask a stupid question, but you are using premium right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

I've never had knock... I made a DIY SRI that would cause fuel cut at WOT in 3rd gear when it was cold out, I've never had knock... bad fuel sure could be a cause. I hate to ask a stupid question, but you are using premium right?

As premium as I can get in AZ - 91 octane E10 :( Not under warranty anymore, just rolled past 64k.

I'll try filling up at Chevron instead, but part of the issue is I just don't get into the situation where this can occur very often.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

You might be due for new plugs. That could cause it.

On another note.. the gen 2 hood scoop is a god drat leaf vacuum in the fall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Replaced them 3000 miles ago with NGK Iridiums.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Anyone had problem with their Sirius radio? Mine, which I've had activated before, just sits on "Acquiring" and doesn't change. Took it to Mazda and they don't even know.

All the rest of the radio works fine, 100%. Just not Sirius. And yea, my subscriptions up to date because I just signed up for it three weeks ago again. :saddowns:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Leave it in a clear view of the sky with the radio on accessory for a good 30-45 minutes and see if that fixes it up.

I had to nail the throttle a bit this morning to avoid an accident (I was going to get rear ended). I was looking in my rearview while I was on the juice and as I spooled/got into the higher RPMs a visible amount of soot/smoke was coming from the exhaust and culminated in a nice plume when I let off. Is it normal to run that rich? I assume it's because the engine was still pretty cold.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yep. Have you not washed it yet?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm familiar with the soot on the back, I've washed it quite a bit. It just seemed excessive to be able to see it in the air at speed.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The turbo'd engines run stupidly rich, so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts happening a lot.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I figured as much. Not my first turbocharged car, but definitely my most powerful turbocharged car.

Hopefully I'll be able to let it warm up a bit today without being forced to give it the business by some jackass barreling over a blind hill during rush hour.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

SynMoo posted:

Leave it in a clear view of the sky with the radio on accessory for a good 30-45 minutes and see if that fixes it up.

Tried that - I drove with it on "Acquiring" for over an hour going from Memphis to Louisville. Sat in various parking lots for about an hour total as well. Even the Louisville Mazda just kinda looked at it and shrugged. Figures. I'm dropping it off tonight at my Mazda, so hopefully they'll get it done. I know they ordered something for it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

SynMoo posted:

I'm familiar with the soot on the back, I've washed it quite a bit. It just seemed excessive to be able to see it in the air at speed.

This engine design uses gasoline to cool the fuel charge. The drat things run pig rich. I have no idea how the pass emissions.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It seems to be a theme with Mazda, at least on their performance models. The Mazdaspeed Protege runs around 12-11:1 AFR at idle, dipping into the mid 9s at WOT. I guess having some soot is preferable to the detonation that, presumably, would be happening otherwise, but I wish they'd found a better way.

At least I don't have to worry about emissions in Florida.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

My MKIV GTI 1.8T that was chipped got pretty puffy at times, but it was chipped so I expected it. My MKV GTI, which I didn't chip, didn't seem to do it as much.

Speaking of chipping, Hypertech has a model in the works for Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 folks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Another link for Gen2 drivers, the Magnaflow CBE. $400 is a nice price for this.

e: and I just looked around a little, this is way cheaper than what Borla has for you guys. Wow.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 7, 2010

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Gotta hear it!

Edit: Sounds good on the website... wonder how loud it really is.

Edit 2: Where did you find it for $400?

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 7, 2010

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Shot you a PM (not sure if it's cool to link to vendors).

Anyone else with a Gen2, just PM me too.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Picked up some new front brake pads last night while at the First Thursday meet at Cobb. Got the Hawk Ceramics. So I'll be spending saturday installing those as well as my spin on conversion kit, and doing an oil change :toot:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love the Hawks. Why the spin-on conversion, though? Do you get more oil capacity with it?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love the Hawks. Why the spin-on conversion, though? Do you get more oil capacity with it?

Not having to deal with the goddamn cartridge cover would be worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations for wheels? My tires are about shot and I want to go to 16" wheels if possible. I look forward to the performance and mileage gains from not having to spin all that cosmetic aluminum.
I can't really browse any of the tire/wheel sites since they're only set up to work with the make/model/year of the vehicle.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I ended up not doing it because I found out they gave me the wrong part... but that was after I had taken the stock one off! Least my car got a quite a thorough oil change.

Hopefully the dealer I bought it from would be willing to do an exchange for the MS3 part and then I'll sell it off. I'd be happy to return it, but the receipt says no returns 10 days after purchase.

On another note, I'm ok with sticking with the filters as they are since I also learned today that dealers will give you a filter tool if you buy a set of 5. Not too bad getting the filter off with that.

Kynetx, what color is your car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The oil filter wrench is not a Mazda special tool FYI, you can get one at Pep Boys, you just have to look up the size and spline count online.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody ever get a P0455 code (large EVAP leak)? I'll take it into the dealer, as I still have a warranty and all, but I'm just curious.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Probably have a large EVAP leak.

I kid. A hose may have come disconnected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

air- posted:

Kynetx, what color is your car?

Cosmic Blue Mica.

Interesting side-note:
I've been recovering from rotator-cuff surgery for about a month, I have another month to go before I start the PT phase. It was the right shoulder, effectively rendering my entire right hand worthless. I've been driving the Speed for the whole duration, and this thing has so much torque that I can shift left handed and skip 2-4-5 in town and do 2-6 for freeway on-ramps. Sure makes things easier.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 12, 2010