Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Lexical Unit posted:

Oh cool, something that isn't what I was talking about. Having a mega list that's comprised of several smaller lists isn't really that useful, you'd have to switch between each list continuously to make sure you got the right amounts and didn't miss anything. For example, if an item appeared on multiple different lists in different amounts, you'd have to be careful to check every list to know you got the right amount of it. Certainly possible, but not ideal.

I'm not the author of that app, but I'd go out on a limb and say that's what the "Entire Grocery List" button does.

If it doesn't, though, you're right that functionality should be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Supervillin posted:

I'm not the author of that app, but I'd go out on a limb and say that's what the "Entire Grocery List" button does.

If it doesn't, though, you're right that functionality should be there.
"Entire Grocery List" does indeed display all of the ingredients for all recipes on the same list so you can scroll through everything at once.

That said, it is true that I don't consolidate similar ingredients from different recipes, so "sliced turkey breast" and "turkey breast, sliced" will show up as two separate line items.

I've been thinking of solutions for this but nothing comes to mind that doesn't involve 1) a crazy amount of string parsing in Objective-C or 2) imposing a bunch of structure on the format of the ingredients.

(1) isn't really my idea of a good time and seems like it would be prone to failure while (2) isn't terribly feasible since I'm offering the ability to pull recipes from the internet, whose ingredients could be written in all sorts of different ways.

That said, I do think it is a good idea, and might take a crack at implementing it in the future if I can do it well.

For now, I'm offering the workaround of being able to edit the grocery list once you've added recipes to it, so you can delete the duplicated entries if you'd like. Oh, and since the original screens were posted, I've added the ability to select between 'All', 'Purchased', and 'Unpurchased' items in the grocery list. In actual usage, filtering by 'Unpurchased' and then checking items off as I go seems to work reasonably okay. See screenshot below (click for big):

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 9, 2010

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if it's something you'd want to consider but TaskList has a neat little system for this kind of thing. Each task can have an author, assigner, category, etc. At any point in the task creation process you can type in whatever you'd like or choose from anything you've ever typed in before by checking a checkbox on it. This would probably limit your ingredient entering interface in a couple ways though, since you'd either need individual textbox/dropdown lists on ingredient entry (essentially breaking c+p) or do a post ingredient entry parse of a text list (complexifying the entry process).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I posted this earlier, but I have screenshots now online to show you guys:

The dashboard shows the combined calendars for that particular chapter, and now includes a chart of people's attendance and involvement within the house.

The rest of the can be seen here: http://www.zaxportal.com/learnmore

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
Mobile SA Forums

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

LOLLERZ posted:

Mobile SA Forums

That's awesome.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

LOLLERZ posted:

Mobile SA Forums

The site will crash a lot of phones because there's a whole bunch of JavaScript right at the beginning of it. jQuery isn't meant to work on mobiles either so it's highly probable that whatever the script is supposed to do just won't work. In fact most mobile browsers with JavaScript support do not allow for rewriting DOM directly in JS, sure iPhones and Androids do (at least mostly) but still...

Valiant effort though. I just happen to get my bread from working in this business so I'm kind of keen to always point out things to people making any kind of mobile versions of anything :)

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

My current project is a browser-based interface for a small database that's used by some public organizations in my state. Right now the plan is to have it be local network/VPN access only, but that may change. It runs on top of a very stripped down install of Joomla!, mainly to make use of the nifty Fabrik extension, which handles all the tables and form views. If you're doing database front-end stuff in a browser and you're willing to put up with Joomla! it's worth checking out, it's designed to be a no-coding-knowledge-necessary extension for making forms/tables, but it's very developer friendly (you can write your own templates for table and form views, pretty much everything from the forms to the individual input elements make use of plugins so if you're familiar with Joomla! MVC style you can write your own, the extension provides places where you can stick PHP and javascript and specify when/where it runs, among other things).

I'm using Mocha UI's virtual desktop for the interface. Because of the nature of the project, I have the luxury of telling my clients what browser to use (leaning towards chrome over mozilla prism at this point, firefox simply doesn't handle mochaUIs effects very well, and seems to be the worse of the two as far as keeping memory useage reasonable)

Not really sure about this theme, since I think they're expecting a fairly spartan app, but that's probably a good thing because design isn't my forte:

Click here for the full 936x559 image.

The uninspired vanilla theme with some open windows showing a table and a form view:

Click here for the full 936x558 image.

Orbis Tertius fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 17, 2010

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Parantumaton posted:

The site will crash a lot of phones because there's a whole bunch of JavaScript right at the beginning of it. jQuery isn't meant to work on mobiles either so it's highly probable that whatever the script is supposed to do just won't work. In fact most mobile browsers with JavaScript support do not allow for rewriting DOM directly in JS, sure iPhones and Androids do (at least mostly) but still...

Valiant effort though. I just happen to get my bread from working in this business so I'm kind of keen to always point out things to people making any kind of mobile versions of anything :)
I guess it never really occurred to me that I was actually developing a "smartphone" version of SA, not really a "mobile" version. I have an iPhone, so I was really trying to just make it not suck on a high-latency, low-bandwidth connection. That's why it also caches every page it downloads (would probably kill most non-smartphones).

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

I wrote a 2D esoteric language over the last couple evenings. It has the clever property that loops actually are loops! A "Hello World!" looks like this:

There's an online interpreter you can play about with here. It's quite fun trying to devise the most efficient control structures.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
That's a neat little fungeoid, ultra-inquisitor.

While figuring out the semantics of spawners and triggers I built a unary counter:

Now I'm wondering if I could do a fibonacci sequence generator based around a similar delay-line idea.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I have nothing to show off from Pulse but it's pretty much exactly the type of thing I love. I search for flash games like this some days and there's only a few out there. This would be pretty much suited to a game too if you had some levels, some pre-placed pieces, and limited amount of certain pieces for that level which you had to use to fulfill a goal or something.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Tw1tchy posted:

This would be pretty much suited to a game too if you had some levels, some pre-placed pieces, and limited amount of certain pieces for that level which you had to use to fulfill a goal or something.
Making a game out of it is certainly something that struck me, or at least a variant of the langauge. Guess it's time to start learning flash!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I don't really have too much time to screw around with this right now, though I definitely want to. One quick question: is there a way to clear an individual cell or the entire grid? Right now the only method I see is to refresh the page.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

quiggy posted:

I don't really have too much time to screw around with this right now, though I definitely want to. One quick question: is there a way to clear an individual cell or the entire grid? Right now the only method I see is to refresh the page.
Right-click clears a cell, I should put a "clear grid" button in too, really. Also import/export source functionality. You can also use some keys (0-9A-F and .) to select commands too.

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 18, 2010

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Been working on my raytracer a bit more. The rendered scene consists of around a 105,000 triangles with 2 bounces for reflections. Without supersampling it took about 16 seconds to render at 1280x800 and with 4x supersampling you can multiply that by 4. So it's really not all that fast, but it's just a hobby for me so I'm pretty satisfied with it. I wrote a bounding volume hierarchy that encloses all the triangles in a AABB tree, which really makes all the difference when you want to start rendering meshes. Without some sort of acceleration structure (BVH, KD tree etc) it's really, really painful to render anything over a thousand triangles. If anyone cares, the BVH took about 700 ms to build.

I should probably write a neat little GUI with QT to make it easier to create scenes and modify rendering variables but I've been pretty burnt out due to university work. I'm probably gonna implement something not-as-critical like raycasting based ambient occlusion (which means reading about Monte Carlo methods which I'm not familiar with) before I get around to making the actually useful GUI or multihreading the trace algorithm because that's how I roll :v:

Foiltha fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 19, 2010

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004
Put this Android live wallpaper on the market over the weekend:

It's called LiveMaze

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

danishcake posted:

It's called LiveMaze

Those are cool. They might look even cooler if they reverse after completing rather than just flicking back to blank.

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004

thebruce posted:

Those are cool. They might look even cooler if they reverse after completing rather than just flicking back to blank.

In the actual wallpaper it stops for a couple of seconds before flicking to blank, but it's not a bad idea to give it a nice transition. Either fade it out, or solve the maze or something

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

ultra-inquisitor posted:

I wrote a 2D esoteric language over the last couple evenings. It has the clever property that loops actually are loops! A "Hello World!" looks like this:

I got an error trying to play this, and it froze Chrome.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hayden. posted:

Oh boy I get to use this now!

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Foiltha posted:

I wrote a bounding volume hierarchy that encloses all the triangles in a AABB tree, which really makes all the difference when you want to start rendering meshes. Without some sort of acceleration structure (BVH, KD tree etc) it's really, really painful to render anything over a thousand triangles. If anyone cares, the BVH took about 700 ms to build.

A simple 4-rays-per-packet packet tracer will give you a ~3.5X performance boost. Sometimes it goes superlinear due to cache coherence Consider using 64 bit for the 8 extra SIMD registers.

How are you choosing the splitting plane for the BVH? (btw, seriously consider going kD-tree for static scenes, especially with the sort of scenes you're using Also, the tree nodes can get *much* smaller.). If you use the SAH or SIROH when building the tree you can get up to a 2X speed in rendering performance over median splits. Of course, the builder becomes a *lot* more complicated unless you want to sort the primitives at each build step.

quote:

multihreading the trace algorithm because that's how I roll :v:

Tiling the screen into 32*32 pixel tiles seems to be the sweet spot for most people. To avoid the locking of the job queue, use a single int which represents the job number (an index into the tiles) and use atomic operations to fetch the next job.

Other cheap speedups come from pre-calculating some of the triangle intersection code offline. For my code I get about 15% faster using TriAccels

Sorry if you know all this, I just like talking about RTRT :)

There's lots of other neat tricks like large packet tracing with frustum culling, entry point search techniques (MLRTA and AEPSA) that you can seriously make a difference. My first render of Sponza took 2 hours. These days, I can walk around it at 200fps on a CPU (2 x 2.0GHz Xeons)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zakalwe posted:

These days, I can walk around it at 200fps on a CPU (2 x 2.0GHz Xeons)

Dumb question, but do you just compose it in RAM then blast it over to the video card in that kind of situation? What resolution/color depth is that (200fps) at?

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

hayden. posted:

What error, and what platform? Chrome works fine for me on Vista64 (though the page text is rendering all ugly for some reason).

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Zakalwe posted:

Awesome advice about speedups.

Great advice, thanks. I'm not really that well versed in ray tracing or computer graphics for that matter and this is actually my first raytracer, so all advice is welcome. I'm not really aiming for real time performance, but speed is always nice.

Packet tracing is basically based on utilizing SSE calculations for ray packet intersections and traversals, right? I have never done anything with SSE so implementing all that might be a bit too hard for me, but I might look into it after I've actually got a decent non-RT raytracer working. Any good papers/sites about SSE in packet tracing or just SSE in vector calculations in general?

As you seem to have guessed, I'm using a naive median split as my construction heuristic. I've only glanced at other heuristics but SAH seems to be the most popular choice and I'm most likely going to implement it when I have the chance to actually study it.

Thanks for the thread advice is well. Threads and SAH (or some other heuristic other than the median split) are probably the two things I'm gonna implement as soon as I have the time. Packet tracing is probably going to have wait for a while or a really, really long while. Converting my calculations to SSE might be a bit painful as I have no SSE skills :v:

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

I've been 4-way peer programming a simple rogue-like programmed in haskell as a way to learn haskell. Random map generation is next.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Bob Morales posted:

Dumb question, but do you just compose it in RAM then blast it over to the video card in that kind of situation? What resolution/color depth is that (200fps) at?

Yup, it goes to a dumb frame-buffer and blitted over via SDL. 32bit 512x512 with textures. I can go much faster in other scenes, dpending on the view point.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Foiltha posted:

Packet tracing is basically based on utilizing SSE calculations for ray packet intersections and traversals, right? I have never done anything with SSE so implementing all that might be a bit too hard for me, but I might look into it after I've actually got a decent non-RT raytracer working. Any good papers/sites about SSE in packet tracing or just SSE in vector calculations in general?

simple 2x2 (4 rays per packet) packet tracing is just tracing 4 rays at once through your acceleration data structure and intersecting 4 at once per triangle at each leaf via SSE. Large packet tracing involves more than that (frustum culling etc).
GCC has great support for SSE intrinsics in that they are treated as a basic type for the most part with operators +-=*/ etc defined for them. This makes code a lot more readable. A lot of the demo code you might see will use intrinsics though.

Carsten Bentin's thesis is *very* good for implementation detail. It's a bit out of date in one or two places, but you won't hit those until you go much deeper.

http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~benthin/phd.pdf

quote:

As you seem to have guessed, I'm using a naive median split as my construction heuristic. I've only glanced at other heuristics but SAH seems to be the most popular choice and I'm most likely going to implement it when I have the chance to actually study it.

SAH is a good choice but we (a colleague and I) are trying to get people to try SIROH as it edges ahead a bit (a whopping 4%!).

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

danishcake posted:

It's called LiveMaze

I like this.

Suggestions:

Implement a few more maze-generation algorithms and have it shuffle between them. Some of them could look more interesting than your recursive backtracker. There's a good list here.

Raise the price. No, seriously. Multiple developers have observed that app price under a certain point (around $5) seems to have no effect on sales-- the most important barrier is that of the user deciding to actually buy it, not the numeric cost. You'll get the same number of sales at £2 that you'll get at £0.75, but more than twice the revenue.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Scaevolus posted:

I like this.

Suggestions:

Implement a few more maze-generation algorithms and have it shuffle between them. Some of them could look more interesting than your recursive backtracker. There's a good list here.

Raise the price. No, seriously. Multiple developers have observed that app price under a certain point (around $5) seems to have no effect on sales-- the most important barrier is that of the user deciding to actually buy it, not the numeric cost. You'll get the same number of sales at £2 that you'll get at £0.75, but more than twice the revenue.

I'd love to see some data around this. I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd be interested in looking at the actual numbers.

I know I personally have another category in my head that has a break somewhere around $1.19. I definitely think when looking at some prices of "that's cool and it's less than a buck I guess I'll get it" vs "That might be ok, but I'm not sure if it's worth a buck fifty". I would agree at from about $1.50 to $4.50 I treat the apps around the same though as in if it looks interesting I'm willing to try it and return it in under 24 hours if I don't like it. At $5 or more it would have to be something amazing I'd use all the time with no alternatives for me to buy it and even then I've skipped out on some apps.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

Crossposting from the iPad Apps & Games thread. I ended up writing a recipe manager for the iPad after not finding any that I liked.

Features:
  • Built in web browser that lets you auto import recipes from most major sites.
    Usually I end up Googling for something and want to be able to save it for later, so it's really the main feature of the app.

• Ability to type in your own custom recipes in a fairly easy manner.
    (I'm surprised how cumbersome the process is on some of the apps out there.)

• Clipboard tools so you can copy and paste a photo/name/ingredients/directions from any website and use it to create a new recipe.
    For when you're reading a random food blog (or GWS) and come across an interesting recipe you want to save.

• A grocery list that lets you add recipe ingredients as well as your own custom items.
    (Because sometimes you need to buy things at the grocery store beyond what's in your recipes.)

• When viewing a recipe, most of the space is reserved for displaying the ingredients and directions.
    (Cause you're trying to cook, damnit, and not having to constantly scroll the screen helps a lot.)

• You can prevent the screen from turning off while you're viewing a recipe.
    (Cause there's nothing worse than having to 'Swipe to Unlock' your iPad when your hands are covered in flour/grease/chicken/etc.)

• Fully customizable categories, search, favorites, and email recipes.
    (Stuff you expect to see in any recipe app.)
For anyone that doesn't read Inspect Your Gadgets, Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad is now available in the App Store!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/papr...d392408028?mt=8

Time to get started on the next version...

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

NoDamage posted:

For anyone that doesn't read Inspect Your Gadgets, Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad is now available in the App Store!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/papr...d392408028?mt=8

Time to get started on the next version...

Just me being curious here but what kind of returns do you get on this?

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

My project, written from scratch in Visual C, continues.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I replicated DaisyWorld which is good because I plan to use it for a larger project.

My data:

Versus the classic model:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

monsterland posted:

Visual C

Oh, does this mean it's going to be windows only? :smith:

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

I wanted to see if I could code my own path finding algorithm.
My language of choice is C++, and so far it's going pretty well.

Currently it complete ignores walls, and I suppose would get pretty hosed if it ran into a corner.
But if I replace the floor tiles with distance values I can make it look pretty :3:

edit

Woo walls! :toot:

Optimus Prime Ribs fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 11, 2010

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I wanted to see if I could code my own path finding algorithm.
My language of choice is C++, and so far it's going pretty well.

Currently it complete ignores walls, and I suppose would get pretty hosed if it ran into a corner.
But if I replace the floor tiles with distance values I can make it look pretty :3:

edit

Woo walls! :toot:

I did this once for a project when I was younger, and was so proud of myself until I later learned I'd reinvented A* :unsmith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Some procedural clouds and skylines:

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
I'm working on a browser-based text editor. It uses a node.js backend as a text server.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Nice use of comic sans