Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
This. loving. GAME!

Recently got back into it after my at-launch initial very leisurely and thorough campaign completion as a goody-two-shoes. Had good inherent replay value anyways, but my bonus code didn't work at launch, so running through the game again for the hell of it using Golden Guns (only!!) and Deadly Assassin with Expert Aim and No Hud as a broke rear end Desperado getting ripped off in the towns and fighting off Bounty Hunters and Lawmen + Special Forces at least twice a day, day in and day out on horseback while maintaining a $10,000+ bounty and being a vagabond is loving awesome. Waking up in the middle of the night because a posse of bounty hunters with a pack of dogs are cresting the hill is goddamn :clint:

And that's just the vanilla game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Don't forget - free Savvy Merchant and Expert Hunter DLC out tomorrow. :)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

Holy poo poo, I nearly forgot. Any idea on the time it'll drop?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Holy poo poo, I nearly forgot. Any idea on the time it'll drop?

6pm for PSN.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Tough to say. Most stuff comes out around 3AM PST at the earliest on Live but this isn't an arcade title or anything so it could be later in the day. Wanna hunt those jackalopes...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im looking to play with some goons tonight, I am down for whatever, anyone on 360 who wants to play hit me up

GT:pbucch

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'll try the suggestions. It might still be fun to get a larger group together. With four players working together I had flashbacks to Call of Duty:UO.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Philip J Fry posted:

Which includes the jackalope.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I've been checking out the requirements for each new outfit on the Red Dead Wikia. Considering that the suits require completion of a few Stranger missions, what does this mean if you've already got 100% completion?

And where the hell would you find snakes? I'm sure I've killed eight over the course of the game, but I doubt that counts.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

And where the hell would you find snakes? I'm sure I've killed eight over the course of the game, but I doubt that counts.

Snakes are all over. I don't think I've ever seen any in Tall Trees, but otherwise they should be around. Walk around until you hear a hiss and/or your horse gets all freaked out, and look around. Likely, there'll be one near by.

Also I finally got the grizzly knifing thing done. Thanks for the tips. With the exception of the first bear literally shoving his head in the path of the buffalo gun shot, I didn't have much trouble. Goons to the rescue!

Now tell me how to do the disarm thing. I had 5 at one point on a bounty, but the last shot killed the target before I could disarm him again. :argh: Haven't been able to even come close since that because Marsten keeps reloading if I slip out of aim for even a tenth of a second. :(

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I see a lot of really clever strategies for killing the bear with the knife. I guess I guess I never gave it much thought and used my observational skills. The bear comes at you and takes a swipe and then walks off for a few seconds before circling around for another pass. So you let the bear come head to head with you and then you dodge the claw at the last moment and you've got a good three or four swipes at his rear end with the knife before he even begins to turn around to have another go at you.

When little boy Jack went up to Nekoti rock to hunt the bear and I had to rescue him, I killed the bear with only the knife just to show Jack what a little bitch he was.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doctor Zero posted:

Now tell me how to do the disarm thing. I had 5 at one point on a bounty, but the last shot killed the target before I could disarm him again. :argh: Haven't been able to even come close since that because Marsten keeps reloading if I slip out of aim for even a tenth of a second. :(

Use a Mauser or the High Powered pistol that carries more shots.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I discovered that shots taken during dead-eye did not decrement my ammo. So I used the Modest Mauser and killed however many guys I had to and still had like 19 or 18 shots left even without reloading. So I guess you could use just about any gun in that case. Just bring lots of dead-eye refiller.

EDIT: On second thought, we might not be talking about the same thing.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Knifing bears from on horseback is probably the easiest way although it does take a little while unless you weaken him up with a couple shots first.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Scarf posted:

Use a Mauser or the High Powered pistol that carries more shots.

I was using the 22 shot rifle, but ...

Hungryjack posted:

I discovered that shots taken during dead-eye did not decrement my ammo. So I used the Modest Mauser and killed however many guys I had to and still had like 19 or 18 shots left even without reloading. So I guess you could use just about any gun in that case. Just bring lots of dead-eye refiller.

Wait, really? :doh: So, Marston isn't reloading, it's just that my shots during dead eye don't count. Oh gently caress I'm dumb.

We are talking about different things, but it gives me an idea how to accomplish it now.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The problem is that you instantly reload when you enter dead-eye.

Here's how I did it. Get the Mauser Pistol. Go to a safe spot and unload your ammo until you have exactly one magazine of ammo left. That way you will never auto-reload, even when entering dead-eye.

Shots in Dead-Eye do count. So use it.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.
Ok, this is a pretty stupid question and I looked through the RDR Wiki with no results; is there any point to picking flowers other than the flower relevant missions or to sell? I thought the help mentioned picking them made your horse more loyal or something.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Master Twig posted:

The problem is that you instantly reload when you enter dead-eye.

Here's how I did it. Get the Mauser Pistol. Go to a safe spot and unload your ammo until you have exactly one magazine of ammo left. That way you will never auto-reload, even when entering dead-eye.

Shots in Dead-Eye do count. So use it.

Maybe you instantly reload in dead-eye, but that's not a problem, because you still accomplish the challenge--at least I did.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Ok, this is a pretty stupid question and I looked through the RDR Wiki with no results; is there any point to picking flowers other than the flower relevant missions or to sell? I thought the help mentioned picking them made your horse more loyal or something.

Pretty much just for selling. Not going to get you nearly as much as hunting though.

Also, once you've reached master survivalist, when you pick flowers you get a tonic with each flower you pick, that recharges dead-eye. So that's useful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just use the Carcano sniper rifle, it makes it far easier to actually hit the gun and it still counts towards progression in Dead-Eye.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

No. Picking them will get you the journal side quests, which will make it so you're able to make medicine out of them, and you can sell them. That's it.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.
Had an amusing occurrence while roaming and hunting yesterday. I was up on a plateaued area admiring the view when a cougar swipes my horse. I fall off and start to tumble down the mountainside. Meanwhile the cougar wants to finish the job. It follows me down the mountain swiping just out of reach of my ragdoll body. When I hit the ground, I have full health. I turned around to attack when the cougar takes its last few steps down the slope and breaks its neck.

John: Take that you son of a bitch :clint:

Edit: Also, my horse was facing a lake when I mounted it. As soon as I hit the saddle, it jumped into the lake BAM! DEAD
I couldn't stop laughing because everything was just fine and then my grizzled Marston was murdered in one second by water.

BiscuitErsedRenton fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 12, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Well, I'm well on my way to killing snakes. Sepulcro and Great Plains have a few and it helps if it's midday when it happens. No problems there. And outside of trying to kill a cougar with dynamite (who the hell am I going to do that??), all I need to do is win $1000 in gambling.

I currently stand at $88 thanks to my losses. But bright side? I finally learned how to use the Elegant Suit cheat. Hell yeah. :dance:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
gentlegoons lets free roam

gt:pbucch

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

That comes out today? FFFUUUUCCCCKKKKK YES :clint:

R* should be the posterboy for how to handle and maintain a game. I love this company more and more every game.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Hungryjack posted:

When little boy Jack went up to Nekoti rock [...] I killed the bear with only the knife

Owns. I'm totally going to do that on my next playthrough.

Proto Clown
Sep 30, 2005

stupid humans
The new outfits for the Undead Nightmare pack are up on Rockstar's site:
http://www.rockstargames.com/reddea..._the_apocalypse

The Legend of the Apocalypse and zombie hunter look pretty :clint: and killing zombies in long johns is gonna own

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Well, I'm well on my way to killing snakes. Sepulcro and Great Plains have a few and it helps if it's midday when it happens. No problems there. And outside of trying to kill a cougar with dynamite (who the hell am I going to do that??), all I need to do is win $1000 in gambling.

I currently stand at $88 thanks to my losses. But bright side? I finally learned how to use the Elegant Suit cheat. Hell yeah. :dance:

Snakes are all over the sides of roads. Just ride your horse around and listen for the rattles. Any that you already killed before the DLC count toward your total; the first one I popped gave me the requirement so I must have had 7 already.

A good spot for the cougar is the easternmost road just a little bit outside of Blackwater, where it makes an 'S'. There's a little hill that slopes down toward the water and it's very flat so you can often see the cougar in the low grass before he sees you. Have the dynamite ready, activate Deadeye when you spot him, target him with RB (or whatever the PS3 equivalent is; R1?) and fire. It'll heat-seek his rear end for an easy long distance kill.

As for execution kills, those are the ones where you run up to a guy with a weapon for a cinematic - pistol in the gut, shotgun under the jaw, etc.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Proto Clown posted:

The new outfits for the Undead Nightmare pack are up on Rockstar's site:
http://www.rockstargames.com/reddea..._the_apocalypse

The Legend of the Apocalypse and zombie hunter look pretty :clint: and killing zombies in long johns is gonna own

He's even barefeeted in the union suit :shobon:

Here's hoping that costumes carry over either way. I'd love to have the Legend of the Apocalypse coat in the woods, or at least the Duster in the zombie game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Wow. The Union suit is basically Al Swearengen, zombie hunter.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
The suits aren't too good, except for the Legend of the Apocalypse outfit, which looks badass. It also looks like something a western pimp in the late 19th century would wear. I mean, just look at that loving hat.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

isk posted:

Wow. The Union suit is basically Al Swearengen, zombie hunter.

Undead Nightmare to feature 10000000% more "cocksucker" and "hooplehead" than leading DLC.

I really hope you can use those costumes in the regular story, I want to Bonnie to discover the greatest pimp in New Austin.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Capn Beeb posted:

Undead Nightmare to feature 10000000% more "cocksucker" and "hooplehead" than leading DLC.

Cat piss.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ace Oliveira posted:

The suits aren't too good, except for the Legend of the Apocalypse outfit, which looks badass. It also looks like something a western pimp in the late 19th century would wear. I mean, just look at that loving hat.

It has a definite Van Helsing vibe to it.

Loving the evil dead look of the Zombie Hunter.

Naturally, I am going to be going around barefoot in my long johns, killin zombies and takin names :clint:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Corzaa posted:

I hope Landon Ricketts is'nt Zombiefied.

Late, but I remember a Rockstar response to a question regarding Landon Ricketts a while back. I guess he could have gotten offed but I got the sense he'd be stickin' it to the shufflers.

e: I didn't make it clear because I'm an idiot. Rockstar heavily implied he would be fighting zombies.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 13, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Zombie Hunter is soooo Army of Darkness/Evil Dead. Which is awesome.

This game is the best game.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
You also need flowers for at least 2 different Stranger missions.

And deadeye automatically reloads when you exit and doesn't count as a real reload, making it incredibly easy to finish the disarming challenge.

Just hide in a room, get a bounty, and disarm whoever comes in with deadeye.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

Whenever you enter Dead Eye your weapon is instantly reloaded. It's really useful knowing this while trying to do that challenge for obvious reasons. Oh and I was able to drink Moonshine (fills Dead Eye and gives you unlimited for a short time) and still have my weapon "un-holstered" I think I just held down the left trigger.

It's useful in multiplayer as well. I play Hardcore Gang Shootouts because I'm a dork and good at shooters and it's a stupidly easy tactic to out gun people with. Just spam the poo poo out of whatever fast-firing semi-auto you're using and tap Dead Eye in and then out really fast and your gun is magically reloaded. If you're decent on the trigger Chuparosa (Mauser/Semi-Auto), Las Hermanas (Double Action Revolver) and MacFarlane's Ranch (High-Powered) are pretty much instant wins unless your team is that bad. Oh and by the way, the Mauser fires more quickly if you tap fire it instead of holding down the trigger.

:goonsay:

Really excited for Undead Nightmare by the way.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Do the new outfits they just released update in the game automatically? Can't seem to find them in the store, and too lazy to actually load a game until Undead Nightmare comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Do the new outfits they just released update in the game automatically? Can't seem to find them in the store, and too lazy to actually load a game until Undead Nightmare comes out.

Check your Outfits menu. You have to earn them.

Both have five things you have to do. If you did them already, then they're marked off.

• Locked thread