Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

LordBaxter posted:

My own personal attitude to griefing and/or teamkilling is that it's justified when somebody is being stupid/annoying, or he's in my way, or I'm bored. I don't have any cool stories of me being a dick so have a video of way too many people playing transformice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJReZRji7tg

'Too many', my rear end. That's not nearly enough :colbert:

Edit: Welp.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm stealing this from the TTT thread but more people need to see this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YVmBXUaRM

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Dr_Amazing posted:

I got gmod over the weekend because of the sale, and they are so trollable. TTT I was traitor and just opened fire in the middle of a group. They banned me after complaining for 2 rounds that a traitor would shoot someone in plain sight. I killed 4 people and hurt 2 others with that strategy.

Sandbox games it's shockingly easy to take down a server or make people sperg out with little effort. I take the huge fan prop, connect a few other props using ball sockets, add balloons and lots of propellors and it'll fly around using up the servers physics calculation and killing random people, destroying anything not welded to each other and locked in place. I'm already banned in 2, and one of them I didn't even do anything.

Hover balls + ball socket + ignite + physics gun causes large spinning flaming death to bounce around the level, usually moving too fast for people to know who's it is.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

oldgoatmon posted:

Gmod :words:

I always liked to make special contraptions meant specifically for griefing people. My personal favorite is a small plate with a camera, hover balls, and thrusters attached. It has a prop spawner on the bottom that drops the puke-green bombs from the PHX3 model pack when you press a button. I fly this around and find opportune moments to drop bombs on people, killing them if PvP is enabled and setting their poo poo on fire and making a loud noise regardless. It's funny when they blame people nearby or flip out. Since all of this poo poo is invisible (Color tool, the fourth value set to zero), people have a hard time catching you in the act unless there's a server log. Due to the nature of numpad-controlled things, you can actually control the the bomber while dead or hiding noclipped underground as well. Again, less reason for people to be suspect you.

Another favorite of mine is the "negative rope" trick. If you rope two objects together with a rope that has a ridiculously "high" negative add length, like -60000, the objects will stay still until touched, physgunned, or spawned through a duplicator, at which point they poo poo their pants and start colliding with each other a million times. Especially fun with ragdolls, which fly all over the place. If the objects are explosives, that means they instantly explode. Because of the fact that spawning non-physgun-frozen objects like this with a duplicator causes the objects to instantly fly together, you can turn the duplicator tool into an instant explosion maker. Point at anything, click, and it explodes.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 30, 2010

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If you can't be bothered with creative TTT griefing, the new version of FapHack has a few nice tricks for TTT.

Its ESP now shows who the traitors is and alerts you when someone picks up a traitor item.

xergm fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 30, 2010

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

xergm posted:

If you can't be bothered with creative TTT griefing, the new version of FapHack has a few nice tricks for TTT.

And it is really hilarious too. I keep screaming things like "1337SNIPER GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME, SNIPER IS ACTING SKETCHY SNIPER GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME NOW" and then executing the traitors and waiting for them to be identified one by one.

Everyone on the last server thought I was some sort of perceptive genius at TTT and just followed me around waiting for me to tell them who to execute.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

And it is really hilarious too. I keep screaming things like "1337SNIPER GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME, SNIPER IS ACTING SKETCHY SNIPER GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME NOW" and then executing the traitors and waiting for them to be identified one by one.

Everyone on the last server thought I was some sort of perceptive genius at TTT and just followed me around waiting for me to tell them who to execute.

I refuse to believe this. I got accused of RDM when it was only be and one other person. There is no such thing as logic, a good hunch or suspicious behavior. Unless you actually saw someone kill someone else, you're an rear end in a top hat and ruining the game. Hell I had a guy whine for an entire round because I saw him pull a knife, while he claimed he was in a corner and there was no way I could have seen him.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Holy poo poo that's the best TTT poo poo I've ever seen in my life.

Back when I played Gmod on the GGG servers some few years ago I met a lot of creative and interesting goons. A lot of them spent their time building mechs and aircraft and mech aircraft and big guns and other stuff that wasn't very good for griefing but...

...when there was nothing else to do the best thing was griefing other goons on the server by making horribly annoying contraptions. None of the good ones were built by me but I'll have to mention them for their genius, attributing what names I remember:

First place griefing device- a heater radiator prop nocollided with the world including a sound emitter and GPS routing coordinates using Wire. Had the ability to move to these coordinates at an instant. The sound the emitter played was a zombie shriek that was very loud but very short, kinda a burst that would scare the poo poo outta somebody if they were concentrating on something important and not paying any attention. Pretty sure I know who made it but the name fails me right now.

The device would target a player and do a fly-by of them, always from the back where they couldn't see the glimmer of an object moving faster than even the game engine could barely see. It would play the sound affect of the scream right as it passed the back of your ears at the loudest volume allowed, probably using multiple instances of the soundbite or something. You would never see this thing coming and I never even knew it was a "thing" period until the person who made it finally showed it to you or after realizing it got you every 5 minutes or so that it wasn't just the admin playing the soundbite to annoy you.

The device could work on its own, acquiring new targets and flying too fast for anybody to see it unless they were very lucky. It could be released in a public server (with wire enabled) and wreak havoc with the minds of the poor innocent fucks who probably had no idea what it was. Got to see it first hand frozen and I'll have to say its a work of simple genius.

Second best griefing device goes to a goon player called Ninjers. Ninjers originally was an admin or deputy or something on the GGG servers years ago. He was notorious for shooting random people with the 45 and generally being the best griefer/troll in a video game ever taking no prisoners.

Though he didn't show off much of what he made what little he did show between shooting pubbies in the face and shooting goons in the face was some very neat griefing tech. His device- a flying penis that followed players and sprayed bright white jizz on them when they looked in the direction of it. When not looking at the phallus it would hold in its jizz barrage and just follow behind them waiting for the player to look it in the face. It flew/hovered and was always tagging right behind the player like a lost puppy. This phallus was about the size of a player model so it was pretty hilarious (haha dongs) to watch it just follow players around waiting patiently for its turn. Made somebody ragequite a few times.

Funny enough, the phallus model was removed from the GGG servers after somebody figured out how to make them rain from the sky in endless amounts. Imagine logging in and finding phalluses everywhere you went.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 3, 2010

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

Dr_Amazing posted:

I refuse to believe this. I got accused of RDM when it was only be and one other person. There is no such thing as logic, a good hunch or suspicious behavior. Unless you actually saw someone kill someone else, you're an rear end in a top hat and ruining the game. Hell I had a guy whine for an entire round because I saw him pull a knife, while he claimed he was in a corner and there was no way I could have seen him.

I remember I RDM'd a guy at the start of a round once because I was bored. He'd been standing still for a while a the start of the round so I figured he was AFK and he wouldn't be able to complain. Turns out he was a traitor sitting at the traitor gear menu trying to decide what to get for that round.

LordBaxter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 3, 2010

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

LordBaxter posted:

I remember I RDM'd a guy at the start of a round once because I was bored. He'd been standing still for a while a the start of the round so I figured he was AFK and he wouldn't be able to complain. Turns out he was a traitor sitting at the traitor gear menu trying to decide what to get for that round.

You pretty much get banned/kicked for playing the game right half the time so whatever the gently caress it really doesn't matter. The game is ABOUT rdming with a purpose pretty much but these kids really don't get that yet.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

LentThem posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXcqWD4qreY
"YOU WANT A COOKIE, GO TO THE COOKIE FACTORY, NOT HERE!"

Oh crap I was that little lego guy with the fro who wouldn't shut up. One of the few times I really had fun in Second Life. "No opposable thumbs but hey ya know"

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Me and some friends had a hilarious round on Heroes of Newearth last night.

We had five guys lanning so we went on the same team and opened a game with duplicate heroes enabled but didn't mention it in the title so anyone joining would have to check the details to notice. No one does this, so they didn't. At the hero selection screen we waited until just before it would randomly choose for us, and all went for Pharaoh.

A vote to remake was launched immediately when the match began.

For those not in the know, Pharaoh is a melee-based angry mummy who also has an activated ability that launches a spirit at range for a small amount of damage. The kicker is that it can be targeted literally anywhere on the map and moves pretty quick, so with the five of us coordinating we could be doing our own thing wherever on the map, playing normally, and then suddenly pummel any enemy of our choosing with a volley of screaming souls of the damned. Normally this spell doesn't do much damage but five at once made a healthy dent, forcing the enemy team to play defensively to avoid danger due to their low health.

We also made use of his remaining abilities, one which causes any adjacent enemies near Pharoah to be struck randomly by damage and a short stun for a period of time once activated, and one which creates a ring of sarcophagi around the Pharaoh which deal a small amount of damage and bounce back to the center anyone trying to escape. Used in tandem these are normally dangerous enough, but with anywhere from two to five of us doing the same thing, the result was howling pubbies being pinballed between overlapping rings of sarcophagi while our spells and desiccated limps rapidly whittled away their health.

The best came when we leveled up enough for our forth and final spell, which sends a little pulse out straight ahead of Pharaoh, and when it comes into contact with something he immediately leaps to that location for a stun and some damage, as well as putting him into melee range. Once one of our guys managed to land this, it would present a stationary target for the rest of us, who quickly followed like the poor bastard was some kind of superpowered mummy magnet.

The other team didn't stick around long enough for us to finish the game, unfortunately.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Me and some friends had a hilarious round on Heroes of Newearth last night.

We had five guys lanning so we went on the same team and opened a game with duplicate heroes enabled but didn't mention it in the title so anyone joining would have to check the details to notice. No one does this, so they didn't. At the hero selection screen we waited until just before it would randomly choose for us, and all went for Pharaoh.

A vote to remake was launched immediately when the match began.

For those not in the know, Pharaoh is a melee-based angry mummy who also has an activated ability that launches a spirit at range for a small amount of damage. The kicker is that it can be targeted literally anywhere on the map and moves pretty quick, so with the five of us coordinating we could be doing our own thing wherever on the map, playing normally, and then suddenly pummel any enemy of our choosing with a volley of screaming souls of the damned. Normally this spell doesn't do much damage but five at once made a healthy dent, forcing the enemy team to play defensively to avoid danger due to their low health.

We also made use of his remaining abilities, one which causes any adjacent enemies near Pharoah to be struck randomly by damage and a short stun for a period of time once activated, and one which creates a ring of sarcophagi around the Pharaoh which deal a small amount of damage and bounce back to the center anyone trying to escape. Used in tandem these are normally dangerous enough, but with anywhere from two to five of us doing the same thing, the result was howling pubbies being pinballed between overlapping rings of sarcophagi while our spells and desiccated limps rapidly whittled away their health.

The best came when we leveled up enough for our forth and final spell, which sends a little pulse out straight ahead of Pharaoh, and when it comes into contact with something he immediately leaps to that location for a stun and some damage, as well as putting him into melee range. Once one of our guys managed to land this, it would present a stationary target for the rest of us, who quickly followed like the poor bastard was some kind of superpowered mummy magnet.

The other team didn't stick around long enough for us to finish the game, unfortunately.

This reminds me of the game where goons picked 5x Nymphora. She is a hero that has a spell that shoots forward and returns, stunning any enemies that come accross it. I saw the replay and it wasn't so spectacular but it was funny to see the other team whine when they get stunlocked by a bunch of fairies.

Speaking of Pharaoh. Do you by chance have the replay?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Dizz posted:

This reminds me of the game where goons picked 5x Nymphora. She is a hero that has a spell that shoots forward and returns, stunning any enemies that come accross it. I saw the replay and it wasn't so spectacular but it was funny to see the other team whine when they get stunlocked by a bunch of fairies.

Speaking of Pharaoh. Do you by chance have the replay?

Here she is. I was in as grey, but I'm still learning to play so I'm not real impressive.

I'm pretty sure that 5 of almost about any hero is a recipe for hilarity. After this match we spent a while just brainstorming who we wanted to try next and laughing about the possibilities.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Who else is excited for the update tomorrow?

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Goatse Party

In warcraft 3, you can create custom multiplayer maps. A popular multiplayer map a couple years ago was Uther Party. It's a mini-game based game, ala Mario Party. Basically, there's around 30 minigames, all of which require a bit of skill and timing.

The thing about Warcraft 3 is that you can open up and change pretty much any map. We simply added a command that replaced the screen with a picture of goatse whenever we entered it.

The results were hilarious. We always feigned ignorance, saying that it perhaps an anti-hacking device put in by the map-maker. We used it alot to win minigames or to screw people over once we lost. No matter what, at least 1 or 2 people would always stay despite the goat-rear end flashing onto the screen every 3 or 4 seconds, telling us to "STOPID IT".

Occasionally we'd be able to infuriate someone so much with out accusations of cheating that they'd simply "gently caress YOU" and ragequit the game.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

fineX posted:

Occasionally we'd be able to infuriate someone so much with out accusations of cheating that they'd simply "gently caress YOU" and ragequit the game.

To be fair, I would probably have silently quit the moment the first goatse came up. I guess the difference is that I would have shrugged and tried a different game rather than got angry.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Archaeology Hat posted:

To be fair, I would probably have silently quit the moment the first goatse came up. I guess the difference is that I would have shrugged and tried a different game rather than got angry.

This is one of the eternal questions of this thread- "Why don't they just change servers?"

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

GetWellGamers posted:

This is one of the eternal questions of this thread- "Why don't they just change servers?"

Because leaving means you concede, and those retards cannot admit defeat.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

CombatWombat posted:

Because leaving means you concede, and those retards cannot admit defeat.

Greifers are essentially terrorists in the eyes of serious gamers. If you admit defeat, it means the terrorists win. :colbert:

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 10, 2010

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Except instead of mass murder, we're just annoying.

But it's just like terrorism, see? What monster have I become!?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Greifers are essentially terrorists in the eyes of serious gamers. If you admit defeat, it means the terrorists win.

its us... we are the terrorists

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
I forgot to mention, sometimes they ask "did anyone see that?" and we'll pretend that we didn't. Then we tell them we saw a hot girl spreading her vag or something, while we get the grief-ee to describe goatse in detail. Noone so far has mentioned the ring, but it's only a matter of time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

fineX posted:

I forgot to mention, sometimes they ask "did anyone see that?" and we'll pretend that we didn't. Then we tell them we saw a hot girl spreading her vag or something, while we get the grief-ee to describe goatse in detail. Noone so far has mentioned the ring, but it's only a matter of time.

Sometimes I wonder why some games don't have map creating programs :v:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

fineX posted:

Goatse Party

In warcraft 3, you can create custom multiplayer maps. A popular multiplayer map a couple years ago was Uther Party. It's a mini-game based game, ala Mario Party. Basically, there's around 30 minigames, all of which require a bit of skill and timing.

The thing about Warcraft 3 is that you can open up and change pretty much any map. We simply added a command that replaced the screen with a picture of goatse whenever we entered it.

The results were hilarious. We always feigned ignorance, saying that it perhaps an anti-hacking device put in by the map-maker. We used it alot to win minigames or to screw people over once we lost. No matter what, at least 1 or 2 people would always stay despite the goat-rear end flashing onto the screen every 3 or 4 seconds, telling us to "STOPID IT".

I don't get it, you would change the map and they would download it and then that would happen, or you would just change it on your end?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

PoisonedV posted:

I don't get it, you would change the map and they would download it and then that would happen, or you would just change it on your end?
They would download it. There's a shitload of custom WC3 maps, some of them updating very frequently, so it's quite common to download it when you join a match.

Back when I still played WC3 custom maps I had literally hundreds of maps, of which sometimes 30 times the same map, only different versions (drat you DotA).

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

PoisonedV posted:

In Warcraft/Starcraft multiplayer you can download custom maps quick enough that it does it during the loading screen. You don't actually go to a website to download a map, you just find what you want to play in the ingame browser and it downloads it when the match starts.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

CombatWombat posted:

its us... we are the terrorists

Best post/avatar combo 2010

After doing creative griefing with the goons in TTT and such the first half of this year, sometimes it's fun to just get really drunk and trash talk serious gamers in TF2 servers. It's lovely and boring but it's so much fun to change your name to "100PERCENTBESTPLAYER" and go to town. Most of the time they just ignore you, but on the big dog clan servers they'll actually straight up ban you for making fun of people for spending 50 bucks customizing all their hats and weapons.

I really don't understand how such a silly fun game can be taken so deathly seriously.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 11, 2010

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hard Clumping posted:

Best post/avatar combo 2010

After doing creative griefing with the goons in TTT and such the first half of this year, sometimes it's fun to just get really drunk and trash talk serious gamers in TF2 servers. It's lovely and boring but it's so much fun to change your name to "100PERCENTBESTPLAYER" and go to town. Most of the time they just ignore you, but on the big dog clan servers they'll actually straight up ban you for making fun of people for spending 50 bucks customizing all their hats and weapons.

I really don't understand how such a silly fun game can be taken so deathly seriously.

This is what I started to resort to when TTT started to get boring to me.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's especially fun if you're very good as spy and just start bitching ONLY clan members and selectively micspamming short clips or spy-themed music after you kill them or just before. You can also use the new knife to kill them, then loudly proclaim that you "done made yerself a skin-suit" of their carcass and start obsessing about "lotion" via voice chat.

It acts as a rage multiplier and it's beautiful.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2010

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just discovered something in Modern Combat 2 for the iPhone. In team death matches, friendly fire is off, with the exception of grenades. TKing someone only subtracts 1 kill from your score, but doesn't affect the XP you get from your legitimate kills. Even better, if you only wound somebody with your grenade and they get killed by the other team, you get 25 points for the assist. In short, throwing deadly weapons at your teammates can help you level up faster.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's especially fun if you're very good as spy and just start bitching ONLY clan members and selectively micspamming short clips or spy-themed music after you kill them or just before. You can also use the new knife to kill them, then loudly proclaim that you "done made yerself a skin-suit" of their carcass and start obsessing about "lotion" via voice chat.

It acts as a rage multiplier and it's beautiful.

Beautiful.

The new knife is so ridiculous, some people say the inability to disguise yourself is too big a drawback, but it's mad easy to just use the cloak and dagger to wait until the perfect moment when, say, a heavy+medic run past. Stab the medic and by the time the heavy realizes he's no longer being healed, you're already fully disguised and can be running off towards somebody else - the Heavy will usually not even give a poo poo since it's good for a medic to have multiple people overhealed at once.

I don't have the knife but that little trick has been used on me tons of times. Just another example of griefing = good playing.

Lately I've been naming myself after characters from The Wire and playing the beginning of the show's end theme every time I'm killed.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 12, 2010

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Hard Clumping posted:

Beautiful.

The new knife is so ridiculous, some people say the inability to disguise yourself is too big a drawback, but it's mad easy to just use the cloak and dagger to wait until the perfect moment when, say, a heavy+medic run past. Stab the medic and by the time the heavy realizes he's no longer being healed, you're already fully disguised and can be running off towards somebody else - the Heavy will usually not even give a poo poo since it's good for a medic to have multiple people overhealed at once.

I don't have the knife but that little trick has been used on me tons of times. Just another example of griefing = good playing.

Lately I've been naming myself after characters from The Wire and playing the beginning of the show's end theme every time I'm killed.

I do this all the time. Backstabbing a Sniper wearing the Darwin's Danger Shield is so satisfying, especially when he just keeps coming back to the same spot. I usually just name myself after random video game characters. I used to be "Emperor Bulblax" but now I'm "Ansem but not really"

Also, building Dispensers in front of friendly sentries never get old.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone post up some more of those awesome Everquest or mud stories.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

floor is lava posted:

Someone post up some more of those awesome Everquest or mud stories.

I used up all my good ones, I think.

When the Shaman class was new a lot of people didn't know how our skills worked, I would try to drive the best fighters I could into a mad rage.

We had one curse (healthleach) in particular that drained the life of a player very slowly, but at definite intervals and amounts. It was easy to notice and fix, so it wasn't much of an ability. We also had another curse (recklessness) that made someone appear to be at full health/mana until it was fixed. This sounds like a combo, but it's not; only an idiot doesn't notice that all of the sudden their skills don't use any mana and their health refilled to full.

I would go and fight the best people I could, and do as terrible a job as possible. I'd use afflictions that didn't stack, make them bleed a paltry 20 health (most have 2500+ hp) or various nonsense. The point was to make them not notice I had given them healthleach and recklessness. I fight so terribly they're not losing any real amount of health, and they're not having to use mana skills.

Then, my timer would tell me they're almost out of health and I would use the game's default 200-damage-causing kick attack to kill them.

This should only work once, but I would then tell them afterwards that my class had an upgraded kick attack and I had been setting them up for the combo the whole time. Cue them spending 20 minutes going over the worst, most inane fighting technique ever to look for how I set it up. They would yell and rage, post on forums about how overpowered I was, and ask others to look at the log for them to find the combo.

I got found out after the #2 and #3 ranked people in the game told the admin on me, but it was fun for a few days

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

Raiche posted:

I used up all my good ones, I think.

When the Shaman class was new a lot of people didn't know how our skills worked, I would try to drive the best fighters I could into a mad rage.

We had one curse (healthleach) in particular that drained the life of a player very slowly, but at definite intervals and amounts. It was easy to notice and fix, so it wasn't much of an ability. We also had another curse (recklessness) that made someone appear to be at full health/mana until it was fixed. This sounds like a combo, but it's not; only an idiot doesn't notice that all of the sudden their skills don't use any mana and their health refilled to full.

I would go and fight the best people I could, and do as terrible a job as possible. I'd use afflictions that didn't stack, make them bleed a paltry 20 health (most have 2500+ hp) or various nonsense. The point was to make them not notice I had given them healthleach and recklessness. I fight so terribly they're not losing any real amount of health, and they're not having to use mana skills.

Then, my timer would tell me they're almost out of health and I would use the game's default 200-damage-causing kick attack to kill them.

This should only work once, but I would then tell them afterwards that my class had an upgraded kick attack and I had been setting them up for the combo the whole time. Cue them spending 20 minutes going over the worst, most inane fighting technique ever to look for how I set it up. They would yell and rage, post on forums about how overpowered I was, and ask others to look at the log for them to find the combo.

I got found out after the #2 and #3 ranked people in the game told the admin on me, but it was fun for a few days
This story seems so much funnier now that I no longer play. I remember fighting Shaman (wytchen) used to be my worst nightmare.

I'm out of most of my stories, but I just remembered this story. When I played Imperian, there was this well hidden NPC that you could hire to assassinate another player for about 10000 gold. Not many people knew about this NPC and what I would do whenever I was challenged to a duel by someone I didn't particularly like, I would accept the deul and run off and hire this NPC before meeting up with them at wherever. It would take about 5 minutes for this NPC to arrive so the duel would begin and I would stall until the NPC arrived. The assassin did about 100 damage per hit, and max health was about 400 so this was a pretty sizeable chunk of damage per hit. I was also one of the hardest hitting classes (Ranger) and all of a sudden, whomever I was dueling started losing half their health every 2 seconds. A lot of people would get really angry that I'd do this and challenge me to another duel, and I'd do it again, ad nauseam. Also various shenanigans with mass stunlocking, or burying people underground and leaving them there.

e: Another story I just remembered. One of the classes had a skill which allowed them to bury 3(?) items and track to them instantly with their mount. However, they could not see where the item was currently buried. Most often, they would leave them one in somewhere safe to escape to, while the others where placed inside quest areas. Rangers had a skill called pursue which allowed you to basically get spammed with the roomname of whomever you're tracking whenever they move. With a good grasp of geography, and some patience, you could pretty much figure out where any heirloom was.

There was this one guy, Zenigra, who I didn't particularly like and I made it a habit to dig out his quest markers and rebury them in enemy locations, such as in guards. He began dying to guards pretty much daily and couldn't do his quests. I'm not sure he ever realized who was behind it. Unfortunately, they added location to the skill, and pursue was changed to only allow you to see the general area.

Brydinut fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2010

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Raiche posted:

Told him what, exactly? It sounds like you were using the two skills exactly how they were supposed to be used. Don't tell me they took this out because of pubbies :qq:ing over it?

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

sc4rs posted:

Told him what, exactly? It sounds like you were using the two skills exactly how they were supposed to be used. Don't tell me they took this out because of pubbies :qq:ing over it?

Well, the admin told them what I was up to and they started paying attention to what I was doing. The trick only killed anyone because I was confusing them. The admin sent me a "*laugh*" and just deleted the actual complaint file.

Brydinut, that's great. I love Imperian for being much more cool about letting that stuff fly. I would yell at Draino for fixing the skill to show them where they're going, though. The skill ought have a downside!

Back when Achaea was really new there was a lot of mystery surrounding the skills. For instance, the Druids had a quarterstaff made from the heart of a tree, and it caused effects when certain emotes we performed with it. Swing to send a gust to knock people over, spin to make a defense, twirl to make a better defense... that sort of thing. The skill description said none of this, it was learned through trial and error, then passed on by word of mouth.

I joined relatively early, and while it was known that every skill set had some form of 'instant' kill, not all of them were direct about it. I and a friend set about documenting what did what and how to discover the truth of a rumor that the Druid's Metamorphasis skill contained a massively damaging instant kill somewhere in the set. We knew it had to do with fire, that was it.

Long story, we found out that a certain skill would move someone from alive to dead if done while they were at 50% or lower health. It required a specific set of circumstances. Informing the guild of this got me a great deal of respect and I was generally regarded as an, if not the, expert on how our skills worked. I also found a few 'mystery' elixer recipes and some quarterstaff abilities, so people listened when I discussed our skills.

So, my next post was to allude that the weakest morph possible, that of a squirrel, also contained an instant kill ability. (Squirrels have one ability, forage, which finds you food in a forest. That's it.) People were doubtful, but I was the expert. I said that anyone who could figure it out would be my assistant in further ventures of research, but I would keep it to myself as I was one of only two or three Druids willing to risk their life for the information.

It's been about 13 real life years now, and I still have people ask me how I kill in squirrel morph, and if I will teach them.

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

The whole secret skills thing reminded me of something. One of my friends, also a Ranger managed to find a secret skill within the class. It was called Balancing and was not on any official skill list anywhere, but you could do BALANCING ON/OFF and it would allow you to jump over any leg sweep/trip. To this day, I'm not sure how he managed to find this skill, maybe just doing random commands. I'm pretty sure it was meant for the Wardancer class, as back then, our class was the Warden class. Anyhow, eventually, instead of admitting it was a bug, the admin officially put it into our skillset.

Not really a grief, just a random story I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hard Clumping posted:

I've been playing as POWDERED TOAST MAN for a while now, and I made a drat good HLDJ soundboard that includes all of the dramatic music from the Ren and Stimpy show. I really wish I could find more audio files of the PTM episodes (namely the PTM vs. Waffle Woman episode).

So far I've been banned from 4 clan servers for playing in-character and leapfrogging admins on their leaderboards in terms of score. Most people think it's hilarious, so when admins threaten to mute, the pubs that venture on the server go to bat for you, and that usually extends your window for griefing.

• Locked thread