Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Just a guess. The Mustang RTR is Vaugh Gitten Jr.'s "special edition" Mustang. It's a $7900 bodykit, stripe, gauge, and wheel package, but the wheels are the only thing I care for on it.

They look badass with basically any color, but Grabber Blue really pops with them.

Wow, no kidding. Can you install the Roush fascia without the splitter? I think the knife edge all around takes away from the muscle car look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TurboTard posted:

Wow, no kidding. Can you install the Roush fascia without the splitter? I think the knife edge all around takes away from the muscle car look.

From looking at their website I would assume so as the front fascia doesn't include the splitter. Even if your dealer doesn't carry the parts I'm sure they can put them on for you if you're aren't comfortable doing it. It's not a hard job if you have any kind of mechanical ability, though.

Grill
Front fascia without fog lights
Front fascia with fog lights

You can order the parts painted in factory colors, so this is a pretty simple bolt-on job.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TurboTard posted:

I actually like the ricy parts :(

This is the Stang that I'll never be able to rice mine up to:

Phil, is Saleen in such a state that they're still selling these as kits?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Saleen as in the company that is run by marketers or Saleen as in SMS, the one run by Steve Saleen?

Either way, I think they both still sell stuff, but I would be very wary of buying from either of them. Customer support and quality control were not hallmarks of Saleen before Steve sold them; I can't imagine they have improved with the buyout.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
:sigh: I feel like an idiot but can anyone help me track down the proper size studs for these drat header flanges. are they 3/8-16" or metric? I am fairly certain the 5.0 guys are 3/8-16 but I'll be damned if I can find a definitive answer for the 4.6

Edit: NVM they are metric. 10-1.25

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 12, 2010

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn

My God all those cars are so sexy I'm about to dry hump my monitor.

Those body kits are seriously the best I've seen on the Mustang in a loooong time. They fit the lines, and the black really makes the Mustang body look thinner, leaner, more fit. Especially the rear end, which I've always thought just looked like a big chunk of unimaginative plastic.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Just ridiculous. Bolt-on automatic runs 11.40s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4md7oUOhd8I

quote:

Circle D converter
4.30 gear
Magnaflow street cat back/X pipe
Wheels/drag radials
Upper and lower control arms that right now I don't think are doing anything but transmitting more driveline noise, but they will help later when the car can actually leave hard.
Removed sway bar
And tuned of course

That's mid 11s naturally aspirated with an automatic for under $2500 in mods. Just sick.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow, impressive. Are gears really a bolt-on though? Seems like something you need to take to a professional (or have access to tools and knowledge to press in bearings).

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kimbo305 posted:

Ugh, i hate that front valance, its identical to the one CDC sells.

I think the saleen S302 has a nice front
http://www.saleen.com/vehicles/S302/
the whole front just looks solid. After looking at the 2011 for a long time i HATE the front grill, and i hate the front valance. This gets rid of both.

it also pains me to say it but i think the rear end actually looks nice too, even though its a little extreme in terms of body kit.

rest of the thing is awful though

roush has a nice front bumper too, though their grill has some really huge gaps in it that are inexcusable really

SMS 302 also has some nice bits here and there, but overall its meh..

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, impressive. Are gears really a bolt-on though? Seems like something you need to take to a professional (or have access to tools and knowledge to press in bearings).

Final drive i.e. differential gear, way easier than transmission.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Omegaslast posted:

Ugh, i hate that front valance, its identical to the one CDC sells.

I think it looks modern and digs deep, recalling Trans Am stangs without looking unnatural like the Eleanor GT500 front fascia.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Muffinpox posted:

Final drive i.e. differential gear, way easier than transmission.

Even that's not something that's really bolt on right? I'm assuming you have to remove and replace the pinion gear, set it's bearing preload, etc.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Even that's not something that's really bolt on right? I'm assuming you have to remove and replace the pinion gear, set it's bearing preload, etc.

If you decide to go in and remove the gears, it's a bit more complicated. You can just unbolt the differential and replace the entire unit with another one running a different ratio though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

They can be a dealer installed option anyway. For a Mustang, I'd call them bolt-on. For a Civic; not so much.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a very large percentage of people have the gear ratio changed in their Mustangs. Considering the cost of gears +install runs about as much as a cat-back exhaust in most cases I would consider it a bolt on.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a very large percentage of people have the gear ratio changed in their Mustangs. Considering the cost of gears +install runs about as much as a cat-back exhaust in most cases I would consider it a bolt on.

Yep. I think a lot of people who are used to import prices are amazed when they see just how cheap this stuff is for Mustangs.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
A used Mustang is really the perfect enthusiast car. Cheap, reliable, lots of go fast parts for whatever you want to do (autox or drag). Probably THE most supported aftermarket of any car ever made.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Yep. I think a lot of people who are used to import prices are amazed when they see just how cheap this stuff is for Mustangs.

Whats the difference between the 3.73 gear kit for $260 and the $160 gears? How much does installation typically run for these things, and do they do an adjustment to the odometer so it accurately records miles? (i have a 99 GT and im almost positive it has 3.55 gears... ill have to get under there soon and do the driveshaft/wheel revolution test)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Speaking of which, picked up the 8.8 and everything looks good except for this:

The wear on the spider gears are disconcerting. All the guides that I've read document a full rebuild but everything was done fairly recently (from what he told me and everything else looks good) so could I just do this?

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0705_traction_lok_differential_rebuild/photo_01.html

Minus the bearing replacement part. Could I use the spare spider gears he gave me or should I get new ones?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Whats the difference between the 3.73 gear kit for $260 and the $160 gears? How much does installation typically run for these things, and do they do an adjustment to the odometer so it accurately records miles? (i have a 99 GT and im almost positive it has 3.55 gears... ill have to get under there soon and do the driveshaft/wheel revolution test)

The kit comes with everything to do the job, fluid, shims, bearings, etc...; the gears are just the gears. Installation usually runs between $300 and $500 in my experience. It's a fiddly job, but you can do it yourself if you get a dial indicator and take your time.

Don't be a pussy though, 4.10s or lower (higher numerically) unless you're running a turbo or a non-overdrive transmission. At 70mph 4.10s are turning 2500 RPMs in 5th if you have a manual.

Edit: Forgot to add that you can change the speedo with a hand held tuner or take it to a dyno shop and have them change it for you.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Omegaslast posted:

The $260 kit includes:

1 Ford Racing Performance Parts 3.73:1 gearset
1 Master bearing kit (includes pinion & carrier bearings, pinion seal, ring gear bolts, pinion nut, crush sleeve, shims, and marking compound)
1 bottle of Ford Racing Performance Parts Friction Modifier
2 bottles of Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil

The $160 gears is only the gear set.

I got a quote from a shop close by me to have my 4.10 gears installed. The final total was $312.35 to install the gears that I already have. That included all the fluids, the shop rate and new gaskets etc.

Edit: Beaten like a new Camaro

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
So even if i have it installed at a shop chances are i should get the kit? Also in 4th gear at 1600 rpm im at 35 mph exactly... does that sound like 3.55 gears? Guess im getting 4.10s :(

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The wear on the spider gears are disconcerting.

Those spider gears are almost completly unworn - they look great. I think you're confusing the machine marks made by the gear-cutter with wear marks.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Omegaslast posted:

So even if i have it installed at a shop chances are i should get the kit? Also in 4th gear at 1600 rpm im at 35 mph exactly... does that sound like 3.55 gears? Guess im getting 4.10s :(

That sounds just about right.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Speaking of rear ends, I took my '07 in for another look at a different dealer and they decided that much of what I thought was tranny noise was really a bad bearing in the diff. So, a day and a half later and it has a freshly rebuilt rear end. It's much quieter on the highway now!

Though, it is a 7.5" so only time will tell when it explodes again. Is it worthwhile to swap a 7.5" lsd into it, or is it a better idea to just swap in a whole 8.8 axle? Some people claim the 7.5 is made of glass, while others seem to think it's reliable up to like 300hp (more than my 4.0 will ever make).

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

Is it worthwhile to swap a 7.5" lsd into it, or is it a better idea to just swap in a whole 8.8 axle? Some people claim the 7.5 is made of glass, while others seem to think it's reliable up to like 300hp (more than my 4.0 will ever make).

I've rebuilt hundreds of 7.5's and thousands(yeah, I figured it out one day) of 8.8's, and personally, I wouldn't spend a nickel on a 7.5 if it's being used in a performance application. They're fine in Vulcan Rangers and such, but not in anything that really stresses them.

Back in '82-'84, the guys with 180hp Mustang GT's were busting them every month - they'd break the factory LSD and then I'd put an Auburn LSD in them and they'd go out and break the left-side main cap, which means you're SUPPOSED to replace the whole thing, but I had a whole box of surplus caps and would carefully fit a new cap and this went on until you could find 8.8's in the junkyards.

Then in the early Nineties, the lifted Ranger/Bronco II guys would bust 'em over and over again(with about 130hp) and I started making custom Ranger 8.8's using the centersections from Crown Vics and 7.5 Ranger tubes - that worked well until Ford finally came out with 8.8 Ranger diffs in the 4.0 models.

300hp? Nahhh, not unless it's an automatic with a gentle driver and easy-to-spin tires - hook that sucker up/sidestep the clutch and you'll snap that problematic main cap just like it's 1983! That said, a bad bearing has nothing to do with horsepower - the 7.5 and 8.8 use the exact_same pinion bearings, btw, it's usually becaise the idiots at the factory over-preload them and they fail prematurely.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 13, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Ask the shop if they charge differently if you bring them all the parts to do the job or not; some don't.
I'm getting 3.49 for your gear ratio, so I would imagine you have 3.55 gears as that would be the closest.

lazer_chicken posted:

Is it worthwhile to swap a 7.5" lsd into it, or is it a better idea to just swap in a whole 8.8 axle?

The only money you should spend on the 7.5" is what it costs you to replace it with the 8.8".

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

JnnyThndrs posted:

rear end stuff

Awesome information, thanks. Yeah, mine's a manual with grippy tires so we'll see how it holds up. If it grenades in the future, is an 8.8 from a GT a direct swap or does the driveshaft need to be modified?

edit: haha, and thanks to you too frozenphil. Once it's out of warranty I'll look into ditching the 7.5 :)

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Is there any reason anyone can think of not to get a 1990 Mustang LX that's been rode hard and put away wet for $400? 4cyl is hooked to a manual tranny and I'd like something good on gas that I can have a little fun with.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Micromancer posted:

Is there any reason anyone can think of not to get a 1990 Mustang LX that's been rode hard and put away wet for $400? 4cyl is hooked to a manual tranny and I'd like something good on gas that I can have a little fun with.
Maybe it's a little better with the manual but we clocked my friend's mom's auto LX at a 0-60 of 17 seconds.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

destructo posted:

Maybe it's a little better with the manual but we clocked my friend's mom's auto LX at a 0-60 of 17 seconds.

That doesn't sound like much fun at all. It's pretty ragged though. Maybe the PO left something valuable in it :v:

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
So apparently the 2010+ models owe much of their improved handling to their less-compliant bushings and a longer rear upper control arm. I think these will be my next purchases (Maximum Motorsports for the bushings, Steeda for the UCA.) Installing the longer UCA will be a pain though, since it requires folding down the gas tank "lip" in order to make room for the bracket.

Those RTR wheels are pretty nice, wish they made something similar in 18". Ford Racing is now selling the Boss BBS wheels with a similar design that are 18"x10" but those are like $620 a wheel. Maybe next year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Micromancer posted:

That doesn't sound like much fun at all. It's pretty ragged though. Maybe the PO left something valuable in it :v:

Power isn't everything, driving a slow car fast can be fun. Lots of people drive Miatas.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Micromancer posted:

It's priced right, but that tired 4 cylinder isn't going to be nearly as good on gas as you think. Personally, I couldn't live with a fox body and all of its faults if it didn't have a v8.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Micromancer posted:

It will be neither, that's something I can promise you. I love Mustangs and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Plus everyone will rag on you for owning a 4 cylinder Mustang. My friend had one in high school and it was a horribly slow and the opposite of fun. My 92 Ford Tempo was faster.

That said it'll probably be better on gas than my 5.0, I haven't done better than 16 mpg since I got it :( I didn't get it for MPG but I thought I'd be in the 20's with combined highway and local driving. I guess it'll be better once it breaks in.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I own(ed) a 2002 V6 and enjoyed it. My ex-gf wanted it and makes the payments so good riddance to both. I was mostly disillisusioned with it once I learned for the same price as I paid, I could have had a beater 928 or a slew of other cars I had actually desired.

To date the most fun car I've driven and owned was a 1987? Dodge Charger. It wasn't even a turbo shelby or anything crazy. Gas was amazing in it and it was agile and comfortable. I was really just hoping to recapture that kind of experience again and while I completely understand this isn't a go-fast Mustang, it may still give it to me. Pretty unlikely at 17s 0-60 but there is always the chance I'll get outbid on it. It's at a title loan place and I offered $400 because more than that is out of impulse buy range. They are waiting on two more bids before it moves though so I won't even know if I get stuck with it until later this week.

My Mazda B2200 just quit this morning, so I was kind of hoping the consensus would have been it was dull but 23-28mpg as that would let me just shelve the Mazda until later and use the Mustang as my between town carriage.

I do have a fairly long history of buying cars that get you laughed at though, so it may fit right in. Really, there is no way to salvage any kind of road-cred for myself anyway. I drive the worst 1976 Nova as my daily, own the ugliest Camaro in the area, and other than the 2002 V6, haven't owned a car capable of >100 mph without severe concern for safety. I'm already hopeless.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

JnnyThndrs posted:

Those spider gears are almost completly unworn - they look great. I think you're confusing the machine marks made by the gear-cutter with wear marks.

Really? I thought they'd have a smooth, machined finish.

Woohoo, rear axle swap time!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Really? I thought they'd have a smooth, machined finish.

They get smooth and shiny with use :D

Actually, you will see some spder gears that are perfectly smooth when new; those are made of powdered metal. From my experience, the old-school style like you have last longer.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Welp I crawled back under and tried to pull one of the snapped studs. Heated the flange and started cranking on the stud. Snap, gently caress. Went to plan B and used one of these fuckers as a temporary bandaid. http://the-hush.com/

Actually worked really well, I'm curious to see how long it will hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

Micromancer posted:

beater 928

You really wouldn't want this. Really, really wouldn't want this.