Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Hubis posted:

I did this once for a project when I was younger, and was so proud of myself until I later learned I'd reinvented A* :unsmith:

I'm sure my version will be a cumbersome and inefficient version of A* (mine doesn't work quite the same, and that will probably be why), but I just wanna see if I can do it.
Plus I imagine if I get this working I'll be able to implement real pathfinding algorithms a lot more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

tripwire posted:

Nice use of comic sans

Pretty sure that's Monaco and definitely not comic sans.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

Scarboy posted:

Pretty sure that's Monaco and definitely not comic sans.

Monaco is monospaced Comic Sans.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Parantumaton posted:

Almost. The h, e, q, u, i, c, f, j, m, a and g are modified, but they are variants of the same face. Now I have a terrible urge to make a monospaced Market Felt. :cry:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tripwire posted:

Nice use of comic sans

lookat this noob

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I'm sure my version will be a cumbersome and inefficient version of A* (mine doesn't work quite the same, and that will probably be why), but I just wanna see if I can do it.
Plus I imagine if I get this working I'll be able to implement real pathfinding algorithms a lot more easily.

Yeah. My experience was basically that, with every improvement I came up with, the closer I got to a "classic" A* implementation. I kind of wonder what the known lower-bound is to find the best path from A to B in a universe of size N, and how far A* is from it...

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2010

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Wouldn't that just depend on the quality of your heuristic?

Edit: And I guess the search context... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D*

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 12, 2010

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I reinvented Dijkstra's algorithm in QBasic when I was a kid.

Reinventing A* would be impressive if you had no prior knowledge.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Parantumaton posted:

Monaco looks awesome at 9 point without anti-aliasing:

Otherwise yeah, it's pretty fugly.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

It's been a while since I last wrote a software renderer and I wanted to try out the halfspace method of rasterising (as opposed to scanline). Still got a whole load of optimising to do.

Video.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Janitor posted:

Monaco looks awesome at 9 point without anti-aliasing:

Otherwise yeah, it's pretty fugly.

Looks okay but it's too small to use, unless you are running at 640x480

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I took a look at some fonts today, and I liked Inconsolata

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I spent most of the day working on an algorithm that grows trees procedurally for an upcoming game. You can't see the growth in action, but the results are looking sweet. Now if only I can do decent leaves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Lurchington posted:

I took a look at some fonts today, and I liked Inconsolata

"Envy Code R" is my favorite: http://damieng.com/blog/2008/05/26/envy-code-r-preview-7-coding-font-released

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

After two university programming courses and dicking around around with some very simple games (space invaders!) I decided to try a roguelike:

It doesn't really do anything yet besides draw some tiles and let you walk around but it's been very educational nonetheless.

I'm using Java's Graphics2D to draw a tileset shamelessly stolen from my Dwarf Fortress install instead of text because I couldn't get AWT to draw fonts that didn't look like poo poo.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I hosed my windows install and didn't back much of anything up so I ended up starting to rewrite my lovely software renderer for the last few days.

Design is a bit smarter and a bunch of stuff is vectorized now like surface manipulation, the math stuff like matrix and vectors, and all the transformation stuff. It also actually has a proper timer so I can set / get the FPS... though it seems too high to get anything meaningful if I leave it uncapped in a simple scene at a low resolution.

It hasn't regained the ability to draw lines yet but if you look carefully you can see the vertex pixels that make up my cube :downs:

Click here for the full 676x340 image.

It's actually less to look at than the first post I made on this because I had wireframe triangles working then... but this is totally more impressive in the underlying implementation of everything even if you can't see it. :v:

slovach fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 15, 2010

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

slovach posted:

It's actually less to look at than the first post I made on this because I had wireframe triangles working then... but this is totally more impressive in the underlying implementation of everything even if you can't see it. :v:

Ah, the best part about software development. All that effort and clever solutions and such yet the poo poo looks the same. Cool project though.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I felt inspired and got wireframe back in :c00l:

Next up is actual model loading so I can get away from this cube already and maybe stress it a little.

edit:
Testing out my new SSE transformation stuff. With no drawing, it plows through 1,048,576 verticies at about 12 fps. :v: It's about 90%~ faster than the x86 version. Kind of ridiculous scaling, really surprised me. About 327,680 clocks in around 38 fps.

I still have a lot of room for improvement. Maybe I'll look into threading stuff eventually, as well.

slovach fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 16, 2010

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

This isn't quite a screenshot, but... this is what I'm working on these days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ZentraediElite posted:

This isn't quite a screenshot, but... this is what I'm working on these days.
Anything interesting about it?

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

gibbed posted:

Anything interesting about it?

Well I just got switched to this product about a month or so ago. I'm working on the actual software that runs on the thing. It's all C#, which i'm still learning.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I am pretty bad at maths (and typos) so this actually took a couple of days to get working, but now it does so I can actually work on game-side stuff like sliding along the plane of contact, and importing world collision from Blender or whatever.

https://vimeo.com/15899261

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

slovach posted:

I felt inspired and got wireframe back in :c00l:

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how in the hell are you doing that in command prompt?

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how in the hell are you doing that in command prompt?

I just give GetDC() the console window handle.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

slovach posted:

I just give GetDC() the console window handle.

drat, I never had any clue you could do that (i.e. use an HDC to a console for graphics, not getting an HDC of a console).
That's actually pretty neat. :toot:

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

I like this.

Suggestions:

Implement a few more maze-generation algorithms and have it shuffle between them. Some of them could look more interesting than your recursive backtracker. There's a good list here.

Raise the price. No, seriously. Multiple developers have observed that app price under a certain point (around $5) seems to have no effect on sales-- the most important barrier is that of the user deciding to actually buy it, not the numeric cost. You'll get the same number of sales at £2 that you'll get at £0.75, but more than twice the revenue.

Just to give some follow up to this comment, I doubled the price and noticed no appreciable drop in sales, insofar that there were any. At £1.49 I seem to get a sale every couple of days. What I've found interesting is that it's been downloaded ~4000 times since my last post in this thread, at a greater rate than other projects of mine I think are better. I suspect this is because it gets twice the exposure - people might see the paid for version and seek out the 'Lite' version.

To contribute a screenshot

I added a few variants on the maze building algorithm. Just providing a bias towards turning left makes it very reminiscent of climbing plants. It makes me want to build some sort of tropism simulator, I imagine it could produce some rather cool effects.

PnP Bios
Oct 24, 2005
optional; no images are allowed, only text

Doom clone from scratch. Collision detection actually works, yay! Now I'm refactoring and poo poo.

Bitruder
Nov 29, 2003

Majoring in connect the dots and colouring

PnP Bios posted:

Doom clone from scratch. Collision detection actually works, yay! Now I'm refactoring and poo poo.

Are you able to load in the original WAD files?

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

PnP Bios posted:

Are you actually writing Doom in TK??? I thought Tk died over a decade ago. Wow.

Edit: Well a quick google shows that OpenTK is not the same as the old TK/Windowing shell used with TCL. That would have been craziness!

Madox fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 18, 2010

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

ZentraediElite posted:

Well I just got switched to this product about a month or so ago. I'm working on the actual software that runs on the thing. It's all C#, which i'm still learning.

Is this at their Pittsburgh location?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Babby's first Koch snowflake! :neckbeard:

(Using OpenGL!)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Your Computer posted:

Babby's first Koch snowflake! :neckbeard:

(Using OpenGL!)

Do a pentagon!

Are you drawing by pixels, or lines? I was just curious to how big of a display list you end up with on the final iterations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Do a pentagon!

Are you drawing by pixels, or lines? I was just curious to how big of a display list you end up with on the final iterations.
Here you go!

And just in case you were actually trying to say pentagram here's one of those as well!

(..fine, I just wanted to make a pentagram!)

I'm drawing using points and lines, with GL_LINES doing the drawing-to-screen. Right now I'm just using an ArrayList with lines and iterating all the members of said list.

e: With slight fear of posting too many pictures, here's a Sierpinski Triangle as well. This is way too much fun! :neckbeard:
Made a couple of new classes for this one, still doing pretty much the same thing (just with triangles instead of lines.)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 19, 2010

PnP Bios
Oct 24, 2005
optional; no images are allowed, only text

Bitruder posted:

Are you able to load in the original WAD files?

Not planning on it, going for something a bit more sophisticated.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Doh004 posted:

I posted this earlier, but I have screenshots now online to show you guys:

The dashboard shows the combined calendars for that particular chapter, and now includes a chart of people's attendance and involvement within the house.

The rest of the can be seen here: http://www.zaxportal.com/learnmore

Hey RPI Fraternity buddy. This actually looks like some really useful software. We do the same thing, except through email list, internal website and google docs (and is, obviously, a lot more difficult to manage). Good work :)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Your Computer posted:

e: With slight fear of posting too many pictures, here's a Sierpinski Triangle as well. This is way too much fun! :neckbeard:

Do a hilbert curve!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Sierpinski Triangle

Okay now a Menger's Sponge!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

polyfractal posted:

Hey RPI Fraternity buddy. This actually looks like some really useful software. We do the same thing, except through email list, internal website and google docs (and is, obviously, a lot more difficult to manage). Good work :)

Thanks. I'm trying to get more chapters to sign up, but it's near impossible to get in touch with other chapters and to get them to actually use the service. I guess that's part of the battle of getting repeating users. What fraternity are you in?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Doh004 posted:

Thanks. I'm trying to get more chapters to sign up, but it's near impossible to get in touch with other chapters and to get them to actually use the service. I guess that's part of the battle of getting repeating users. What fraternity are you in?

Grad brother of Phi Gamma Delta actually (aka FIJI, graduated last year). I know what you mean - it was hard enough to get our brothers to use google docs or, god forbid, dropbox. Then again, I was shocked to hear other chapters and houses not even having an email listserv, let alone coordinated google docs or an internal brother website system. I imagine convincing outside fraternities to use software like this could be quite tough.

I'll mention it to our current web chair and see if he is interested in looking at it. Being a grad I don't have much pull anymore, but I can knock few heads around when I come back to drink sometime.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Grats on being able to keep your 'house' in RHAPs after the sophomore housing clusterfuck kicked all the upperclassmen out. I think Delta Phi was able to keep their little string in Colvin 14-16, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Take it to LAN guys, I can only have my RPI goonery in one location ;)