Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
So the KK I can just feel pretty confident calling shoves with in that type of situation?

Here's another hand. Looking at it i'm not 100% what I was up to on the flop, so there's two questions. Is flat calling that flop bet the best action? And also is my fold on the turn appropriate? HEM just calls people cake seat and this was saved earlier so no reads i'm sorry. Is there a good way to save notes for a hand as well in HEM? Then perhaps I can save any reads I have at the time along with the hand.

Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (7 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($31.25)
Button ($5.70)
SB ($12.58)
Hero (BB) ($40.58)
UTG ($19.90)
MP1 ($19.60)
MP2 ($8.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:d:, K:s:
5 folds, SB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.60, SB calls $1

Flop: ($3.20) 6:d:, J:h:, Q:c: (2 players)
SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($5.20) K:h: (2 players)
SB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $3.80, SB raises to $9.98 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $12.80 | Rake: $0.64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I would raise the flop, your outs aren't good if he 3bets and you can take a free card on the turn usually, plus you take it down before more cards come out - not much is good for you if he wants to play a big pot, only the T really. With that in mind, I would just flat the turn. He can't really flat the turn vs that raise, so raise/folding is a really poor plan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Daltos: This thread's for NL cash, the tournament thread's over here.

Assuming this was at 28 players, the button is shoving literally any two here if he's remotely competent and we're 63% against that range so I'm probably calling. I'm not an ICM expert so it's also possible I'm entirely wrong about the profitability of this call in this specific situation, which is why the tourney thread can probably help more.

jpparker55: Ranma's basically right against an unknown, but this is really read dependent. Calling the flop seems really reverse implied oddsy. Yeah, we're almost getting the right implied odds to call to hit our four outer, but as this turn action shows you might not even be net profitable when you hit a pair and put money in. Turn is complete spew with that board texture and this action.

Tampa Bay Handshake
Jul 30, 2009
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP3) ($12.50)
CO ($5.99)
Button ($3.15)
SB ($11.71)
BB ($8.73)
UTG ($5.83)
UTG+1 ($13.18)
MP1 ($4.29)
MP2 ($1.93)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:h:, A:s:
UTG bets $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.60, UTG+1 raises to $3.20, Hero calls $2.40, 1 fold

What should I interpret the flat/4B as? Is calling correct here? I felt that shoving would be dumb since I doubt he'd call with much worse, but folding AK preflop at NL5 seems dirty.

If we were shallower I would have just shoved, for what it's worth.

Flop: ($7.27) Q:c:, 8:c:, 2:h: (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

I'm pretty sure his bet was a mis-click, but this is an easy call since I'm getting 10 - 1. Assuming he bet 7 dollars (like I assume he was trying to) I would have just folded.

Turn: ($8.67) 9:s: (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $5, Hero folds

Total pot: $8.67 | Rake: $0.41

Would anyone have played this hand differently?

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005
From what I've seen at NL2 if someone limps and then reraises they got QQ+, very rarely AK/AQ/JJ.

If the villain will cbet even when an ace hits I'd call preflop and call the cbet if the ace hits. On this flop you have the right odds to call, but really the only card you want to see on the turn is an ace and even that is iffy unless you're pretty sure he'll stack off with KK. Anyway I'd most likely play this the same way, but fold preflop if I know the guy is really tight.

If anyone else could shine their light on this that'd be great, because I'm hardly a poker theory god.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Insaint posted:

I'm hardly a poker theory god.

Me too, but maybe someone can correct what would have been my thought process here, which'd be cool.

Not knowing anything about the guy I'd agree with Insaint that he's around about QQ+. I can't think of much more of a range that'd be happy just calling an UTG raise in +1. When he comes back over for almost a third of his stack I can't imagine him having anything other than KK/AA. It's also dependant on how UTG is playing, but if he's a worthwhile player there's a fair chance his UTG range takes away an ace which is really all you can happy with on the flop.

Personally I'd dump it to the 4bet, but that really isn't saying much at all :)

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
Yeah I think I would fold to the 4bet, he has KK-AA very often. It's reverse implied odds hell, plus our price preflop isn't even that great.

Tampa Bay Handshake
Jul 30, 2009
For discussion's sake: assuming stack sizes, stats, etc. were the same, what if UTG had limped and UTG+1 limped behind then 3b my isolation raise? Is his range then still QQ+? Would it change our decision much at all?

In my experience (which isn't saying much), it's either a total spazz move with a hand like KJ or a slowplayed AA or KK.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Tampa Bay Handshake posted:

For discussion's sake: assuming stack sizes, stats, etc. were the same, what if UTG had limped and UTG+1 limped behind then 3b my isolation raise? Is his range then still QQ+? Would it change our decision much at all?

Yes, a backraise is significantly stronger than a more typical limp-reraise, and that's leaving aside the issue that a large percentage of small-stakes players are just never four-betting worse than kings.

The actual hand is a really obvious fold to the backraise four-bet. Yeah, it's exploitable to fold there, but it's NL5 so who cares. A small-stakes villain's four-bet bluffing range is "never" and his value range crushes your's.

Birthday Bear
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

Tampa Bay Handshake posted:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:h:, A:s:
UTG bets $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.60, UTG+1 raises to $3.20, Hero calls $2.40, 1 fold

Would anyone have played this hand differently?

fold here. it's not a turbo tournament where people get them all in with any pair and any ace. you're not even suited meaning you have at best six outs assuming he does this with QQ (debatable), at worst you're hoping for a miracle.

nearly 100% of the time he has aces or possibly kings and now he's found a customer he wants to get them all in the middle. he made a standard bet, got what he wanted in a reraise, and now he wants to get your stack in there.

Spasms
Jun 11, 2003

I'm gettin' heartburn. Tony, do something terrible.
Going to post this hand before I forget.

Live 5/10 NL tonight, $1,250 deep. Villain is some really weird looking old guy with long greasy hair and who had been playing like a retard all night. Limp/calling 5x iso raises and check folding flops. I had seen him lead flops OOP and c/c flops and lead turns. He was playing a very high vpip and wasn't balanced at all.

So I'm 2 or 3 off the button with AKs spades 9 or 10 handed. 3 limps to me and I raise to $75. Villain calls in the BB and the original limper also calls. Pot is around $240 and the flop is 223 2 clubs, 1 heart. Villain leads $200, limper folds and I float. Turn is 10 of hearts and villain very quickly bets $500 leaving $350 behind and I have him covered by about $50...

Spasms fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 28, 2010

Carcharoth
Apr 15, 2003

What are birds?
Even if villain is some kind of old retard, I think turn is a fairly clear fold. Flop float is fine, as I think most of villain's range is actually hands that have us beat - small / mid pairs mostly - but that we still have equity against and are deep enough to see a turn. I think he also might show up with a 56cc / Axcc kind of hand here every once in a while and likes to shovel in chips with draws oop. You can shove turn over the top if you want, but the hands of villain's that we're actually beating will still have equity and he's almost certainly not folding after putting in 75% of his stack so I'm rather inclined to fold and seek a better spot vs. this tard.

I think a key piece of information is also that villain frequently c/folds flops oop. When he donk leads out flop and turn, I think it's more likely than not that at worst he's semibluffing.

Do you have any other reads on him?

Creed
Jun 17, 2010
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

MP1 ($0.68)
MP2 ($2.09)
CO ($2.19)
Button ($1.92)
SB ($1.91)
BB ($2.79)
Hero (UTG) ($1.71)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10:h:, K:h:
Hero calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, 2 folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.09) 9:c:, 7:s:, Q:c: (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.09, 1 fold, CO calls $0.09, 1 fold

Turn: ($0.27) J:s: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12

River: ($0.51) 2:c: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.48, CO calls $0.48

Total pot: $1.47

I just lost this hand, and I'm wondering if my line through this was decent.
My thinking on limping in preflop was that this is exactly the sort of hand you want to see a cheap flop with to make a straight or a flush. With the flop coming up four to a straight, and my opponent likely holding JT, some mid pair or set, I figured that I was ahead with KT and went ahead and bet to see if I could take down the pot right there, it didn't work, but I got to see my straight. I bet the turn. Another call. River was a deuce of clubs, and figuring that all the flush draws were gone, I threw down another pot-bet, and he called with the winning flush, J8c. Is there anything that I could've done differently, or was my river bet a good bet?

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003
First of all, fold pf and just never open limp, espically UTG. Don't cbet in a 4 way pot on a connected board, you're going to get calls and all you have is a gutshot. Bet way more on the turn, you're handing any FD the odds to draw out on you on a platter. You can c/c a small bet on the river or maybe put in a small blocking bet, but don't pot it. What would call your nearly pot sized bet on the river that you beat?

But really, just fold pf.

Creed
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks. I knew something about that line was bumfuck retarded. I'll change that strategy when playing marginal hands with good draws.
Edit: The true answer to that question, is of course, everything about that line was retarded.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Your thought process is really lacking in concrete logic, most of your thoughts seem like they just popped into your head for no apparent reason. Make sure you are thinking about your actions before you take them, always try to have a good reason for what you're doing. For example I'll use your river thought process. You say "I figure all the flush draws were gone", but really we bet less than half pot on the turn - it's a hard fact that he has a ton of flush draws in his range. This isn't just because we bet so small, remember its 2NL, your opponents are pretty much never folding flush draws.

Your bet sizes also don't make sense. Betsizing is a tough subject but just try and make your bet size do something for you. You should be betting bigger on the turn because he will still call a lot and you have the nuts. On the river you should think about betting less. Your perceived range just got a lot stronger (he will think you have a flush a lot of the time), and his actual range got stronger as well since all his flush draws are now beating you. So you should either check/evaluate or think about betting a smaller amount to get a little value from weak hands, since your bigger bet might only get action from better hands most of the time.

Overall advice is to try thinking less abstract thoughts like "I have 4 to a straight", and more concrete like "I have a gutshot plus overcard, I should have about x% equity vs. a calling range on the flop, do I have any fold equity with a bet?". Check out some books like NLH theory and practice, something like that could help you a lot.

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this
No significant reads, playing rush

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($9.67)
UTG ($1.93)
Hero (MP) ($14.29)
CO ($2.54)
Button ($3.95)
SB ($7.04)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A:h:, A:s:
1 fold, Hero bets $0.15, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.25, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.65, SB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.35) 4:d:, Q:h:, 10:d: (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.99, SB calls $0.99

Turn: ($3.33) K:h: (2 players)
SB bets $5.40 (All-In), ??????

Ive really been trying follow my action lately and really pay attention to the perceived ranges of all my villains. Other than the smallish 4 bet I'm fairly happy with the line I took, but when he makes the over shove I'm just not sure.

Xeus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 14, 2010

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
4 bet bigger, like .90 since you are deep

If you have no reads that turn sucks, but it's NL5...He could play AK this way, flush draws, straights/draws, two pair, but it could really only be KQ. It's a rough spot, but I probably call against that range.

Spasms
Jun 11, 2003

I'm gettin' heartburn. Tony, do something terrible.

CortezFantastic posted:

4 bet bigger, like .90 since you are deep

If you have no reads that turn sucks, but it's NL5...He could play AK this way, flush draws, straights/draws, two pair, but it could really only be KQ. It's a rough spot, but I probably call against that range.

this

.82 pre and snap call.. lol at blinky thinking this is a fold

rueben26
May 31, 2001

I want to be one of the X-men!!

ZeroStar posted:

Overall advice is to try thinking less abstract thoughts like "I have 4 to a straight", and more concrete like "I have a gutshot plus overcard, I should have about x% equity vs. a calling range on the flop, do I have any fold equity with a bet?". Check out some books like NLH theory and practice, something like that could help you a lot.
Chiming in, but thank you for this kind of advice.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009
Rush poker, no real reads on the guy - my play makes me feel queasy, but it may just be because of the makeup at the board come the river. I think I definitely bet light on the turn. I guess I'm looking to see what I should've done different on this.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($250.30)
Button ($78.45)
Hero (SB) ($255.45)
BB ($204.40)
UTG ($336.15)
UTG+1 ($87.85)
MP1 ($200)
MP2 ($209)
Villain ($143.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:c:, A:s:
4 folds, Villain calls $2, CO bets $4, 1 fold, Hero raises to $10, 1 fold, Villain calls $8, 1 fold

Flop: ($26) 3:h:, 10:h:, 9:c: (2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $12,Hero raises to $30, Villain calls $18

Turn: ($86) J:h: (2 players)
Hero bets $48, Villain calls $48

River: ($182) K:s: (2 players)

Total pot: $182

Hero ???

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Well you can either bluff or c/f. Definitely 3bet bigger pre that is really small, make it like 16. Your flop play is also kinda weird I would just bet as a standard, if you c/r I would go bigger that is really tiny. As played I think your turn bet is OK.

I think c/f is probably best. He should have a lot of nut hands that snap call a bet (QT, JQ, KQ, flushes), and he may not even fold some 2 pairs. Betting to protect ourselves from being bluffed shouldn't be a concern here, since almost all his hands will have some SD value and just check back. Everything else is folding earlier or got there on the turn/river.

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($7.26)
UTG ($15.59)
MP ($10.74)
Hero (CO) ($10)
Button ($10)
SB ($13.09)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:d:, Q:h:
2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) Q:c:, Q:s:, 4:s: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.50, Button calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75) 5:h: (2 players)
Hero bets $1.20, Button calls $1.20

River: ($4.15) 7:c: (2 players)
Hero bets $2.70, Button raises to $8 (All-In), Hero says "Huh... this isn't supposed to happen... I have the virtual nuts".

Villain is 19/17 over 88 hands with an AF% of 31. What does this river raise mean?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

vampire posted:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($7.26)
UTG ($15.59)
MP ($10.74)
Hero (CO) ($10)
Button ($10)
SB ($13.09)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:d:, Q:h:
2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) Q:c:, Q:s:, 4:s: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.50, Button calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75) 5:h: (2 players)
Hero bets $1.20, Button calls $1.20

River: ($4.15) 7:c: (2 players)
Hero bets $2.70, Button raises to $8 (All-In), Hero says "Huh... this isn't supposed to happen... I have the virtual nuts".

Villain is 19/17 over 88 hands with an AF% of 31. What does this river raise mean?

'I have a Q!' or 'I have a whiffed flush!' (very unlikely). But you aren't folding AQ here, it is way too good.

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch

Ranma posted:

'I have a Q!' or 'I have a whiffed flush!' (very unlikely). But you aren't folding AQ here, it is way too good.
The only thing I'm not sure about is why would villain raise with a Q on the river? I know I shouldn't assume villain's thought process is the same as mine but I personally wouldn't wait until the river to raise with a Q on a flop that has a flush draw. I would try and get as much money in as possible whilst the draws are still live.

I also agree that a busted flush draw is super unlikely given the stats and the board.

It was a weird hand where I couldn't put villain on a likely holding so I just went ahead and clicked call.

IsotopeOrange
Jan 28, 2003

vampire posted:

The only thing I'm not sure about is why would villain raise with a Q on the river? I know I shouldn't assume villain's thought process is the same as mine but I personally wouldn't wait until the river to raise with a Q on a flop that has a flush draw. I would try and get as much money in as possible whilst the draws are still live.

I also agree that a busted flush draw is super unlikely given the stats and the board.

It was a weird hand where I couldn't put villain on a likely holding so I just went ahead and clicked call.
Just because they are 19/17 doesn't mean they are good. They could definitely be slow playing Qx here thinking it's invincible. Or have something like AJs. Q4, Q5, Q7 are not really in their range here.

holycrapabear
May 17, 2009
FullTilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - FullTilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($23.31)
BB ($5.54)
UTG ($24.23)
Hero (MP) ($13.41)
CO ($16.54)
Button ($7.16)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A:h:, A:c:
UTG calls $0.10, Hero bets $0.45, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) 9:s:, 10:d:, 6:h: (2 players)
UTG bets $0.30, Hero raises $1.10, UTG calls $0.80

Turn: ($3.25) 5:d: (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $2.20, UTG calls $2.20

River: ($7.65) 7:h: (2 players)
UTG bets $7.65, Hero folds

Total pot: $7.65

Unsure as to how good my bet-sizing is in this hand, feel that is one of the weakest parts of my game at the moment. As played this is a fold right? Rush poker no reads.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Flop I raise bigger, like 1.50, then $3 bet/fold on the turn, fold to any further action. I don't expect people to raise or bet worse, but they will flat with a lot of pairs+gutters.

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch

IsotopeOrange posted:

Just because they are 19/17 doesn't mean they are good. They could definitely be slow playing Qx here thinking it's invincible. Or have something like AJs. Q4, Q5, Q7 are not really in their range here.
You're right that Q4 etc. isn't in his range but then there aren't too many legit Qx hands in his range either other than QK/QJ as I'd expect a 19/17 to fold worse queens versus a raise (again, making assumptions). Plus, I have one of them and two are on the board so that surely weights his range heavily away from Qx and more towards pocket pairs or a KTss+ or A9ss+ hand that tried to bluff the river after missing the flush draw (and I don't think a non-aggro 19/17 is bluffing the river a lot here with a paired board).

As it was, he was actually calling down with 77 and hit his two outer on the river so I made a note.

How about this one....

SB ($10.77)
Hero (BB) ($10.09)
UTG ($6.14)
MP ($11.14)
CO ($11.02)
Button ($9.31)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6:c:, 7:s:
UTG posts $0.15, MP calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.35) 6:h:, 9:d:, 5:c: (3 players)
Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, MP calls $0.30

Turn: ($0.95) 7:d: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.65, MP raises to $1.50, Hero calls $0.85

River: ($3.95) 10:c: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $1.60, Hero hates folding two pair...

I think my flop bet was slightly too big. I had a pair and a gutshot and I was happy to take the pot there and then.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the call against the turn raise. The river is unlikely to have changed villain's hand strength so a huge part of his range is 8x here. Should I therefore be folding turn (relative hand strength and all that) or if I'm calling the turn raise, shouldn't I be calling down on blank rivers or is our hand strong enough to call turn but fold to further aggression? I don't really like doing that though as it seems like I'm burning money.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Villain is almost never bluffing there at these stakes. You have 4 outs (maybe 7 if you call praying for a split) and aren't hitting often enough to justify the call.

Also after betting the flop the way you did, following up with a relatively smaller bet (to pot size) looks a little odd, but as mentioned this villain is not likely to notice anything like that and is not likely to be bluffing anyway.

As played up to river, c/f river. Unless he has decided that now is random bluff time you are almost never good here.

edit: With regard to how the hand played out before that, fold to turn raise.

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch

13/f/cali posted:

edit: With regard to how the hand played out before that, fold to turn raise.
Thanks. I realised the flop bet was too big almost immediately and as soon as I called the turn raise I reminded myself that my relative hand strength had plummeted given the turn card and the action. I did c/f the river but thought I should have folded turn.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

vampire posted:

As it was, he was actually calling down with 77 and hit his two outer on the river so I made a note.

Calling down here with 77 is relatively standard imo. The only thing he doesn't beat is a Q (less likely because theres two on the board) and a big pair. Sucks about the 2 outer on the river because you can't ever fold there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($206)
UTG ($58.95)
UTG+1 ($173.50)
MP1 ($95.25)
MP2 ($96)
CO ($113.90)
Button ($80)
SB ($80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J
[color=#666666]3 folds[/color], [color=#CC3333]MP2 bets $10[/color], [color=#666666]3 folds[/color], Hero calls $6

Flop: ($22) 2, J, 6 [color=#009B00](2 players)[/color]
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]MP2 bets $12[/color], [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $36[/color], MP2 calls $24

Turn: ($94) 3 [color=#009B00](2 players)[/color]
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $58[/color], MP2 calls $50 (All-In)

River: ($194) 9 [color=#009B00](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

Total pot: $194 | Rake: $3

I was at the table a couple of rotations. His preflop range was somewhat wide, consisted of connectors, suited connectors, mid Aces, KJ-KQ. He was very aggressive on the flop every time I saw him in a hand.

This is a fairly standard hand for me and I just wondered what you guys thought. I put him on a flush draw/QJ after his flop call. The only other hand I considered was a small set, but with his style I would have figured a shove on the flop after my check raise. Results are in the link.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 1, 2010

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
Is this a 50bb max table? No experience with those but it seems 100% standard once you call pre. I think the more interesting question is should you 3bet and get it in pre.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yes, its 20-50bb max on Stars.

edit: I just read that. Should I be 3 betting AJ preflop? That's one of my biggest leaks... not 3 betting enough preflop, and not bluffing on a missed flop. It's honestly the main reason I come to the forum and just read all the time.

Actually, this may not be the play but why not ask, what's the best tutorial/video/book I can use to improve my post flop play?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 1, 2010

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
I posted this in BBV thread, but I wanted to have this critiqued as I'm not sure if I played this 100% correct. I'm relatively new to these kinds of stakes, so its hard not to look at how much $ is going into the pot sometimes.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($51.05)
Hero (CO) ($109.10)
Button ($50)
SB ($50.25)
BB ($55.25)
UTG ($77.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:h:, 9:d:
UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero bets $2, 3 folds, UTG raises to $6, Hero calls $4

Flop: ($12.75) Q:c:, 2:c:, 9:s: (2 players)
UTG bets $8.50, Hero calls $8.50

Turn: ($29.75) 5:d: (2 players)
UTG bets $25, Hero calls $25

River: ($79.75) 10:s: (2 players)
UTG bets $38.05 (All-In), Hero calls $38.05

Total pot: $155.85 | Rake: $3

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Bizzaro Quik posted:

I posted this in BBV thread, but I wanted to have this critiqued as I'm not sure if I played this 100% correct. I'm relatively new to these kinds of stakes, so its hard not to look at how much $ is going into the pot sometimes.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($51.05)
Hero (CO) ($109.10)
Button ($50)
SB ($50.25)
BB ($55.25)
UTG ($77.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:h:, 9:d:
UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero bets $2, 3 folds, UTG raises to $6, Hero calls $4

Flop: ($12.75) Q:c:, 2:c:, 9:s: (2 players)
UTG bets $8.50, Hero calls $8.50

Turn: ($29.75) 5:d: (2 players)
UTG bets $25, Hero calls $25

River: ($79.75) 10:s: (2 players)
UTG bets $38.05 (All-In), Hero calls $38.05

Total pot: $155.85 | Rake: $3
Raise flop and get it in ASAP. Sorry he had QQ or whatever.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006

Crazy685 posted:

Yes, its 20-50bb max on Stars.

edit: I just read that. Should I be 3 betting AJ preflop? That's one of my biggest leaks... not 3 betting enough preflop, and not bluffing on a missed flop. It's honestly the main reason I come to the forum and just read all the time.

Actually, this may not be the play but why not ask, what's the best tutorial/video/book I can use to improve my post flop play?

I would suggest "unconventional wisdom" from deuces cracked, the first series was amazing although it is dated at this point. It still has good advice though that will help you with your thought process. They made a 2nd series of it more recently which was also decent I think. As for books I would try any of the ebooks, printed books aren't great for advanced stuff. The new SSNL by ed miller and co., 'let there be range' by cts and slowhabit, balugawhale's book 'EZ game', etc.

edit: most of the time you should not be 3betting AJ. This goes especially for 20-50bb games. You can easily get stacks in when you want with AJ in a single raised pot with such a short stacksize, and leaving a bigger stack to pot ratio when you get to postflop play gives you more room to outplay your opponents.

ZeroStar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 1, 2010

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

ZeroStar posted:

I would suggest "unconventional wisdom" from deuces cracked, the first series was amazing although it is dated at this point. It still has good advice though that will help you with your thought process. They made a 2nd series of it more recently which was also decent I think. As for books I would try any of the ebooks, printed books aren't great for advanced stuff. The new SSNL by ed miller and co., 'let there be range' by cts and slowhabit, balugawhale's book 'EZ game', etc.

edit: most of the time you should not be 3betting AJ. This goes especially for 20-50bb games. You can easily get stacks in when you want with AJ in a single raised pot with such a short stacksize, and leaving a bigger stack to pot ratio when you get to postflop play gives you more room to outplay your opponents.

That's precisely why I play 20-50bb, because my post flop play doesn't really hurt me as much. I've maintained profitability (in a small sample size) at .50/1 by outplaying people post flop.

The fact I was playing 2/4 was simply because I was curious if my post flop play would hold up. Waiting around, bluff a certain 3 bet, see if it works, etc. I'm terrible at teaching myself, as you can tell. I don't mind people telling me I'm an idiot because in the world of Poker it is far too easy to convince yourself you have something figured out when in fact you are simply tricking yourself because of small sample sizes or bad players.

I'll get on those suggestions asap once I finish with these motions and law school finals. I have basically a month of free time and I want to dedicate myself to stepping up my poker game. Thanks an absolute ton for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
So I had an absolutely abysmal session last night and would like some input on these hands! All are from NL5 Rush 6max so no reads.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($4.46)
Hero (SB) ($6.17)
BB ($2.02)
UTG ($5.18)
MP ($7.01)
CO ($10.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:d:, 10:d:
2 folds, CO bets $0.20, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.60) 10:c:, 7:s:, 4:d: (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.60) J:d: (3 players)
Hero bets $0.25, BB calls $0.25, CO raises to $1, Hero calls $0.75, 1 fold

River: ($2.85) Q:d: (2 players)
Hero bets $4.97 (All-In), CO calls $4.97

Total pot: $12.79 | Rake: $0.85

Results:
Hero had K:d:, 10:d: (flush, King high).
CO had A:d:, 9:d: (flush, Ace high).
Outcome: CO won $11.94

Thoughts: Aside from the river I think this hand is super standard. Could be a fold preflop but I don't mind calling here. I shove the river because I think theres a TON of hands that snap me off (AK, QJ, all worse flushes, and other 2pr combos). Is shoving the river here the correct play value-wise? On a dry board I'm not doing it because I'm only getting called by better but I think its the right play in this spot. As for the results...seems like a disgusting cooler and if I bet 1.50 and get raised I'm never ever folding so I think I like the shove here.

BB ($12.69)
UTG ($2.79)
MP ($4.86)
Hero (CO) ($5.16)
Button ($1.13)
SB ($3.63)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:c:, 9:h:
UTG bets $0.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.15, 1 fold, SB raises to $0.65, BB calls $0.60, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.10) 7:d:, Q:c:, 9:s: (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.10) K:s: (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $4.51 (All-In), SB calls $2.98 (All-In), 1 fold

River: ($8.06) J:s: (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $8.06 | Rake: $0.53

Results:
SB had 10:c:, J:c: (straight, King high).
Hero had 9:c:, 9:h: (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: SB won $7.53

Thoughts: So this hand looks pretty loving retarded obviously but I guess I'll try to explain it. I check back the flop because the board is sooooo dry and would like to induce some action on later streets in a multi-way pot. When it gets checked backed to me on the turn I'm thinking that after the preflop action I can get stacks in as a huge favorite against hands like QK, AK, KJ, AA etc. I guess my goal was to make my shove seem like some spewy bluff or a weak King. Idk what to think about the results of this hand, I guess QQ or KK could be possible given preflop action and that would make my shove horrible but blehhhhhhh.

UTG ($0.91)
MP ($1.24)
CO ($16.02)
Hero (Button) ($5.61)
SB ($2.11)
BB ($7.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A:s:, K:h:
UTG calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, BB calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.92) Q:h:, 7:h:, 5:d: (3 players)
BB bets $0.64, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.64

Turn: ($2.20) Q:d: (2 players)
BB bets $1.44, Hero calls $1.44

River: ($5.08) 7:c: (2 players)
BB bets $4.82 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $5.08 | Rake: $0.33

Results:
BB didn't show
Outcome: BB won $4.75

Thoughts: This hand confused the poo poo out of me because I couldn't put villain on a hand here. I run into hands like this every once and awhile where villain just bets huge all 3 streets. He was insta-betting on the flop and turn and the whole thing just felt super bluffy. I guess I'm giving him credit for a Q but seriously after I flat twice and the 2nd Q peels, he has to slow down with hands like TT-AA and it just seems weird to bet a Q that big on the flop after my pf raise.

• Locked thread