Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Spitshine posted:

FFF...
..UUU..

I found the easiest way is to write down the button sequence and go by the sound while looking at it, instead of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Got both outfits. Savvy Merchant almost looks cute, though for what you do, the bonus is meaningless. Even at that point I rarely bought ammo. One of the two outfits should have all provisions selling for 50-100% more, or something. He does look rather civilized though.

Don't care much for the Expert Hunter's hat, but that fur-lined sleeveless coat is :krad:. I do have to express one major disappointment. Not only does he not get extra feathers from birds (or else I'd only get 2, 4, 6, etc feathers, not 1 and 3, drat it), but I hunted grizzlies in the woods and was rather shocked to read

Bear Corpse posted:

Grizzly Heart +1

I WANTED DOUBLE BEAR HEARTS, drat IT! :black101:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man the twitchy AI in this game kinda annoys me sometimes.

I had a rescue mission pop up, where some old woman was stranded and needed help. I go to help her, and notice "OH poo poo, A BIG BAD WOLF IS ABOUT TO EAT GRAMMA!", so I shoot it in the head.

She freaks out and runs off, assuming I am trying to kill her by shooting something 15 feet to the left of her.

I have had a few little encounters end up like that. It starts out all cool and nice and wonderful, but they are about to be eaten by a cougar or a wolf or a coyote and I save em and they leave. I JUST WANT TO HELP YOU PEOPLE. WITH BULLETS. :saddowns:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

davebo posted:

Can anyone explain to me the Press Start screen at the beginning, that then proceeds to the game letting you choose between online and single player? There is no other option but to proceed to the online/single selection, so why do we even need to press start? Just one of those dumb things that I never understood but maybe there's a reason I'm not seeing.
Almost every single 360 game has a superfluous "press start" screen. I would almost say it is a Microsoft-required thing, but GTA4 doesn't, so I don't know.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

wa27 posted:

Almost every single 360 game has a superfluous "press start" screen. I would almost say it is a Microsoft-required thing, but GTA4 doesn't, so I don't know.

It's on the PS3 as well. Does seem kind of pointless.

Maybe it's habit/a throwback to the old 'insert coin - press start' arcade classics?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah I am on PS3, but GTA4 went the opposite direction. It forces you to load single player right off the bat, then from there you go through the hoops to get to multiplayer. There must be a reason they didn't go with the logical solution of just choosing between online/single, but I can't imagine what it is.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
If you have a PS3 and the game is locking, here's the simplest thing to try first:

Use the game data utility to delete the RDR options/settings file. Don't delete your saved games.

RDR starts and doesn't find a preferences file, so it makes a new one. You get default settings for aiming and so forth. Spend a minute tweaking these and you're good to go.

This might not work in your case, but it's quick to try and does minimal damage. I have to do this about once a week.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

davebo posted:

Yeah I am on PS3, but GTA4 went the opposite direction. It forces you to load single player right off the bat, then from there you go through the hoops to get to multiplayer. There must be a reason they didn't go with the logical solution of just choosing between online/single, but I can't imagine what it is.

I think they saw how Burnout Paradise did the in-game multiplayer menu/friends list and decided it would be great. It also might have been to stay consistent with GTA3/VC/SA, all of which automatically loaded you in your safehouse as soon as you put the disc in.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Taking a cue from some other recent posts, I donned the Expert Hunter outfit and the bandana and now with my 100% super secret identity nobody knows it's me and I can kill an entire town full of people without tarnishing my perfect honor.

My disguise is so good that not a single person can tell who I am. Not anyone except for the nun who picks me out of the crowd and walks through the middle of the firefight to give me a donation from the sisters in Mexico.

Thanks, Sister! I spared myself a bullet and hit her with a fire bomb.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
The reasoning behind Press Start screens is to determine which controller will be used to play with and subsequently which LIVE/Playstation profile to load data from.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I know it was last page, but the bonus radio station in the brick and mortar version of Episodes From Liberty City was basically a give and take. They got that extra 80s station, and all of the new music in Lost and Damned/Gay Tony. But they lost all of the music that was in the original GTAIV.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Remmiz posted:

The reasoning behind Press Start screens is to determine which controller will be used to play with and subsequently which LIVE/Playstation profile to load data from.

Not sure about Xbox LIVE, but PS3 - No it isn't. Profiles are loaded when you turn the ps3 on, before you do anything else.

I can't wait for Undead to drop. I've gotta try the new outfits out before that, otherwise I won't bother.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Ugh, ever since the Hunter & Trader pack, my game hardly works. Just loads forever, SP or MP. Yesterday I deleted game data and reinstalled + downloaded every DLC again and it was working last night. Now today it won't load again. This sucks.

I had the same issue except mine would stop loading and freeze a few seconds after it started loading. I knew it wasn't my disc or my box so I wound up deleting all of the data and downloads for RDR on my harddrive and it worked fine. I lost all of my save files and online progress but I didn't really care. Try deleting your multiplayer information I think that might be the problem.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

fennesz posted:

I had the same issue except mine would stop loading and freeze a few seconds after it started loading. I knew it wasn't my disc or my box so I wound up deleting all of the data and downloads for RDR on my harddrive and it worked fine. I lost all of my save files and online progress but I didn't really care. Try deleting your multiplayer information I think that might be the problem.

:(:(:(:(

On 4th Legendary...

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Sir Spaniard posted:

Not sure about Xbox LIVE, but PS3 - No it isn't. Profiles are loaded when you turn the ps3 on, before you do anything else.

Profiles are loaded but specific game data isn't. Profiles are "linked" to controllers so when you press start the game knows which controller will be used and who will be playing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

:(:(:(:(

On 4th Legendary...

Try deleting your settings configurations first. Then your save games. Then your online progress. I deleted everything at once because I didn't care about any of my progress and was in the middle of replaying it anyway. I guessed as to the solution, if you care about it do it one-by-one.

e: I had this happen on Xbox as well without the in-game slowdowns. (Although I do it get occasionally when I free a woman being kidnapped in Thieves Landing. Weird.)

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2010

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Remmiz posted:

Profiles are loaded but specific game data isn't. Profiles are "linked" to controllers so when you press start the game knows which controller will be used and who will be playing.

So I could start a game using controller 2, and have an empty save?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

fennesz posted:

Try deleting your settings configurations first. Then your save games. Then your online progress. I deleted everything at once because I didn't care about any of my progress and was in the middle of replaying it anyway. I guessed as to the solution, if you care about it do it one-by-one.

e: I had this happen on Xbox as well without the in-game slowdowns. (Although I do it get occasionally when I free a woman being kidnapped in Thieves Landing. Weird.)

Yeah I've deleted settings as well as all game data and reinstalled it all 5-6 times now. Sucks.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Sir Spaniard posted:

So I could start a game using controller 2, and have an empty save?

I don't know how RDR's game saves work(it could be just a flat file on the HD or linked to a profile) but possibly. I've only done programming for the 360 so it might be different for the PS3.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Just had a bit of a go at the outfits. It's not letting my executions add to the total I have though. I do keep dying, so it might be that. I'm doing it in a town so the sheriffs get called in. But it also didn't count it when I did 2 and let myself get arrested.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Yeah I've deleted settings as well as all game data and reinstalled it all 5-6 times now. Sucks.

Check your disc for errors? I'm not familiar with PS3 hardware issues so I guess it's possible that could be the culprit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Is there a way to glitch into West Elizabeth and Mexico at the start of the game since the latest patch? I'm tempted to start a new game, but I'll miss my American Standardbred and LeMat so much :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Probably alone in this respect, but does anyone else just wander in the woods for no reason?

I mean, no killing animals, not even riding a horse, just hanging out? It really does have this weird calming effect on me. It's like "gently caress it, no matter how lovely the world is, I can imagine myself out in the wild on top of this pristine god damned mountain breathing this awesome air, and life is good."

Until I get raped by a cougar or a bear, but generally it's pretty chill.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing RDR on my PS3 is scary. :/ This is the only game that gives the blu-ray drive a work out. I fear for my PS3 whenever I play it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Just went and got the outfits for my "endgame" save. The Savvy Merchant looks rather dapper on the fella. The Expert Hunter, not so much. A funny story about the latter: While I was clopping about Rio Bravo for a cougar to TNT, some dudes invited me over for a camp visit. As I'm about to hop off my horse, I look to the bottom right of my screen and see a prowling cougar. I immediately dead eye and target him to throw my dynamite. What happens is the cougar takes off as soon as he sees I'm targeting him, running past the side and behind me, making Marston do an accurate "under the arm" backwards toss of live dynamite.

Blam :smug:

Also, on a side note about outfits (endgame spoiler):

What in the loving hell is wrong with the Bureau Outfit for Jack? It's only made for him (Because you have to 100% to get it), but in my game, the hat actually clips into his forehead. That, or his dumb swollen large forehead is too big for it and pops out over the brim. It's ridiculous and sad, because other than the merchant, that's the only good costume for Jack, and it's not even wearable on John. Why wouldn't QA catch this? </rant>

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Probably alone in this respect, but does anyone else just wander in the woods for no reason?

I mean, no killing animals, not even riding a horse, just hanging out? It really does have this weird calming effect on me. It's like "gently caress it, no matter how lovely the world is, I can imagine myself out in the wild on top of this pristine god damned mountain breathing this awesome air, and life is good."

Until I get raped by a cougar or a bear, but generally it's pretty chill.

I don't have it with RDR but I totally had this effect with Mafia 2. Why complain about the game world being empty when you can just drive your car around town, abide traffic laws and change radio stations? :downs: I know.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, will I finally be able to get rid of Jack and play as John again in Undead Nightmare? That's really all that matters to me, because I despise him so very, very much.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

I said come in! posted:

Playing RDR on my PS3 is scary. :/ This is the only game that gives the blu-ray drive a work out. I fear for my PS3 whenever I play it.

At least I'm not the only one who's nervous about the noises my drive makes while reading the disc. It only seems to happen to this, inFamous and Brutal Legend.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to glitch into West Elizabeth and Mexico at the start of the game since the latest patch? I'm tempted to start a new game, but I'll miss my American Standardbred and LeMat so much :(

Somsone posted a way to glitch into WE involving following the river up until the Tall Trees title appears on your screen. Once you find that spot, get a bounty and go there before surrendering. You supposedly gate taken to jail in Blackwater. I'm not sure I remember this right, but I think that's how it went. I also don't know if this was fixed in a recent patch, which might have been the reason you worded your question the way you did.

I don't know how to glitch into Mexico, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Capn Beeb posted:

You can save with cheats on now, so you could at least cheat yourself a LeMat. Don't know about the horse.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Shockeh posted:

So, will I finally be able to get rid of Jack and play as John again in Undead Nightmare? That's really all that matters to me, because I despise him so very, very much.

Yes but in the context of the UN campaign.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man the twitchy AI in this game kinda annoys me sometimes.

I had a rescue mission pop up, where some old woman was stranded and needed help. I go to help her, and notice "OH poo poo, A BIG BAD WOLF IS ABOUT TO EAT GRAMMA!", so I shoot it in the head.

She freaks out and runs off, assuming I am trying to kill her by shooting something 15 feet to the left of her.

I have had a few little encounters end up like that. It starts out all cool and nice and wonderful, but they are about to be eaten by a cougar or a wolf or a coyote and I save em and they leave. I JUST WANT TO HELP YOU PEOPLE. WITH BULLETS. :saddowns:

I was pissed about it at the time, but it's funny looking back on it.

When first nun showed up with the gift on a road in Mexico, right outside a town, I was listening to her speech and a single wolf ran up outa nowhere, jumped up and ripped her throat out. I was so stunned about it I missed the fact that I could have still hit B and taken the gift, and it timed out. I had to wait till another nun showed up later.

:sigh:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I was pissed about it at the time, but it's funny looking back on it.

When first nun showed up with the gift on a road in Mexico, right outside a town, I was listening to her speech and a single wolf ran up outa nowhere, jumped up and ripped her throat out. I was so stunned about it I missed the fact that I could have still hit B and taken the gift, and it timed out. I had to wait till another nun showed up later.

:sigh:

To think she dedicated her life to a God that said 'gently caress it, here's a wolf for you.'

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What's the biggest negative-honor action you can do in game? I know you get like -400 for bribing a lawman...

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Scarf posted:

What's the biggest negative-honor action you can do in game? I know you get like -400 for bribing a lawman...

How do you find yourself in a situation where you can bribe a lawman?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hungryjack posted:

How do you find yourself in a situation where you can bribe a lawman?

If you commit a crime, run up to whoever comes after you and you can hit B to bribe him. I did that once because I accidentally hijacked the stagecoach and by the time the lawman caught up to me (I left it behind) I didn't feel like going back to pay the bounty. So I gave him $10... and took a 400 honor hit. :argh:

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
So, which one of the Metatags should I add to play with most goons? I want to posse up with some fine gentlemen and do co-op missions. And maybe quote westerns, as well. And in case of Capn Beeb, sperg out about guns.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
So will this game be getting a sequel?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think Rockstar registered the name Red Dead Revolution so that's about the biggest hint we have so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Stare-Out posted:

I think Rockstar registered the name Red Dead Revolution so that's about the biggest hint we have so far.

It may be way too early to speculate, but I hope it's basically "Duck, You Sucker: The Game".

• Locked thread