Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Eggplant Ronin posted:

It may be way too early to speculate, but I hope it's basically "Duck, You Sucker: The Game".

Maybe it'll be a western set during the industrial revolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

PlasticPaddy posted:

So will this game be getting a sequel?

This game is perhaps one of the most highly reviewed games of all time and the best selling game of the year (something like 6-7 million units sold). Speculating if this game will get a sequel is like wondering if a game like GTA3 or CoD:MW would be getting a sequel, back when they were released. It's pretty much inevitable.

What you should be asking is WHEN a sequel will be coming out. Probably like Q4 2012.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Right now I wouldn't mind if they just Vice City-ed a sequel and gave us another state to play around in and promised two to three Gay Tony like DLCs.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Ace Oliveira posted:

Maybe it'll be a western set during the industrial revolution?

There are also a lot of mesoamerican revolutions it could refer to. I have a weird feeling it'll take place during the dust bowl... possibly be a bit like Carnivale: Special Shootin' Bastards Edition.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

doomfunk posted:

Carnivale: Special Shootin' Bastards Edition.

I would buy the poo poo out of this and pay for every piece of associated DLC.

Hear that Rockstar market researchers???

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I absolutely would as well. Actually it's probably just a delusional hope on my part, but still, it would be completely awesome and a good, thematic followup to Redemption - you know, an environment where technology and urbanization seems to have failed everyone, and hyper-corporatising falling flat on its face.

Hell, there are even so many famous outlaws from the Depression era that it's just about right; the only issue thematically is you'd have to cash in your riding gloves for driving gloves.

Shame this completely isn't what's going to be happening.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

Remmiz posted:

The reasoning behind Press Start screens is to determine which controller will be used to play with and subsequently which LIVE/Playstation profile to load data from.

I remember reading in the Rock Band thread that PS3 doesn't get the Message of the Day because Sony won't allow any game to access the Internet unless the player authorizes it or something. When you press Start in RDR it then goes "Checking downloadable content" or something like that before it brings up the SP/MP option, so maybe that has something to do with it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ that totally makes sense because now that I think about it Rock Band has that exact same useless press start screen.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Right now I wouldn't mind if they just Vice City-ed a sequel and gave us another state to play around in and promised two to three Gay Tony like DLCs.

I hope this series gets successful enough that they beat it into the ground and we end up with a bunch of Marvel vs. Capcom-esque crossovers in which John Marston leads the Lost and the Damned through the hills of San Andreas to shoot down Tommy Vercetti riding a jet pack with a rocket launcher.

I have a dream!

Double edit: Ken Rosenberg vs. Herbert Moon... FIGHT!

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 15, 2010

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
How do I add a metatag? Do I just add it like I would add another player or something?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah same here. I saw a dude playing fetch with his dog a few days ago and it was the first time I'd seen it. I'm hoping the new Undead DLC will add a lot more random things like this.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I wonder if they are testing the waters for a Western-Horror sequel with the Undead Nightmare pack? They threw in just about everything a "pure" Western scenario can have into Redemption already.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Universe Master posted:

I wonder if they are testing the waters for a Western-Horror sequel with the Undead Nightmare pack? They threw in just about everything a "pure" Western scenario can have into Redemption already.

I would have a heart attack if this was announced. My two favorite genres rolled into one game and developed by such a great studio? Yea, basically the best game ever.

I really wish you hadn't said anything, because now I want this so bad I won't stop thinking about it whenever I play another game. I'll just be thinking "why couldn't this be a western-horror?"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Universe Master posted:

ShowTime posted:

I would have a heart attack if this was announced. My two favorite genres rolled into one game and developed by such a great studio? Yea, basically the best game ever.

I really wish you hadn't said anything, because now I want this so bad I won't stop thinking about it whenever I play another game. I'll just be thinking "why couldn't this be a western-horror?"

This would be cool. Having a horror-based Western could open up a lot of doors.

Or they could be trying anything to see how far outside of the normal Western they could go. Red Dead Redemption has the spirit of a Spaghetti Western ala Revolver but notice the more the popularity grows the more the theme remains the only thing. With horror, we are transcending the Western while keeping it's methodology. I wonder if Rockstar is thinking they could go a little more towards the future. It's not like horses went anywhere when cars were introduced. Most of the America we know today came about right after the Second World War.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Universe Master posted:

I think it would actually be a lot different had it been done in 1860, 1875 or 1890 even. There would be a lot about western expansion, clearly, probably more of a focus on immigration(/emigration), the civil war and less tangible law enforcement presence. I suppose they could push forward onto the Industrial Revolution in the next game but I think it would make even more sense to push it back to when everything was either just getting started or in it's hay day.

But yeah there's a strong possibility that they'll do a pure zombie game though. Hell, maybe they're even thinking about releasing a GTA-like game with zombies. Who knows?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

I think it would actually be a lot different had it been done in 1860, 1875 or 1890 even. There would be a lot about western expansion, clearly, probably more of a focus on immigration(/emigration), the civil war and less tangible law enforcement presence. I suppose they could push forward onto the Industrial Revolution in the next game but I think it would make even more sense to push it back to when everything was either just getting started or in it's hay day.

But yeah there's a strong possibility that they'll do a pure zombie game though. Hell, maybe they're even thinking about releasing a GTA-like game with zombies. Who knows?

I keep thinking what a blast it could be if they had the Civil War. A Rockstar version of the South would be interesting. A Rockstar West Virginia could be classic. But a Rockstar version of Liberty City way back then.....I'm torn.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Well, we are getting 'mythical' creatures in this pack as well. VVVVVVVV

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 15, 2010

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I was thinking more than just zombies, but vampires, were-wolves, all sorts of horror mainstays that could become westernized. And not to take it too far into the realm of RPGs, but a more practical type magic system would be neat too. Think John Constantine the movie instead of Hellblazer the comic.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Laughing Man posted:

You can save with cheats on now, so you could at least cheat yourself a LeMat. Don't know about the horse.

Yeah I know, but none of the cheats give up a LeMat now :( You'd think this game would have a game+ by now.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The 'revenge animals' just got completely out of control on me. I just shot a songbird out of the sky between Beecher's Hope and Blackwater, and started to get bumrushed by nearly nonstop tides of wolves, with the occasional boar or mountain lion thrown in for flavor.

Even when I mounted up and rode away I had to swerve around another pack of wolves trying to kill me in revenge of their fallen comrades. Overall, 19 wolf meat, 7 boar meat, and 3 cougar meat, in less than 10 minutes :psyduck:

Does it get this crazy for everyone else or did the random number generator just decide to gently caress me over?

EDIT: 'Revenge animals' are just predators that have a chance to appear when you kill or skin an animal, it's not DLC stuff or anything

Icedude fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2010

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

revenge... animals? Is this something new to the dlc?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

repostin' this for illustrative porposes:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Icedude posted:

The 'revenge animals' just got completely out of control on me. I just shot a songbird out of the sky between Beecher's Hope and Blackwater, and started to get bumrushed by nearly nonstop tides of wolves, with the occasional boar or mountain lion thrown in for flavor.

Even when I mounted up and rode away I had to swerve around another pack of wolves trying to kill me in revenge of their fallen comrades. Overall, 19 wolf meat, 7 boar meat, and 3 cougar meat, in less than 10 minutes :psyduck:

Does it get this crazy for everyone else or did the random number generator just decide to gently caress me over?

EDIT: 'Revenge animals' are just predators that have a chance to appear when you kill or skin an animal, it's not DLC stuff or anything

That part of Beecher's Hope has always been wild for me. Right across the tracks I scored three bear kills after one of my Tall Trees shooting sprees. Cougars like to spawn there in West Elizabeth. Wolves, on the other hand, just like swarming but since they're pusses there's no real threat to them. Deadeye with the Mauser and it's all over.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

In short, Rockstar should have 95,000 employees and make a game with the sandbox template they currently use based in every major fiction scenario ever.

Seriously, there's not a single thing you can imagine that wouldn't be awesome with these guys work.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
I had a similar thing happen to me when I was hunting elk just off the road somewhere between the plains and Tall Trees. Whatever controls spawn tables for a given location must have gone haywire. I mean, people were riding by and freaking out because that zany ol' Marston gubment man we keep reading about in the newspaper is now dressed like a wild mountain man in a badger hat and riding his little brown donkey in circles ten feet off the path shooting a gold-plated .22 in the air and occasionally shaking his bowie knife at people if they get too close, with twenty-three grizzly carcasses all around him and littering the road :allears:

Stagecoaches? Yeah, they have a hard time navigating around/over dead grizzlies.

I ended up with something loving awesome like 50+ grizzly furs/meat and about 20-ish claws, teeth, and hearts. One could say that I made a killing :downsrim: down in Meheeco. In the space of like 10-15 minutes of pure panic and tobacco spamming. John's sure to get mouth cancer after that day :(

e: Also, I never realized how exhilarating it is to get into a running gunfight in Blackwater with the Mauser and no Deadeye while wearing the Savvy Merchant outfit and bandana. Something's so action movie about using the Mauser to frantically blam blam blam blam blam in the city streets with glass busting around you, people screaming, Johnny Law surrounding you and flanking you through alleys :aaaaa:

Am I the only one that likes to use particular weapons depending on my outfit? I always go Mauser/Bolt-Action/Semi-Auto Shotgun when wearing the Savvy Merchant. I feel like some kinda mobster goon doing it. I might update it to the 1911 though now that I got it in this playthrough. It seems appropriate.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2010

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I know, but none of the cheats give up a LeMat now :( You'd think this game would have a game+ by now.

Aw thought for sure they had the weapon set 1 weapon set 2 weapon set 3 kinda cheats they had in Vice City. That is Super Balls. Biggest thing RDR made me excited for was LA Noir. That game is going to be loving sick house.

Laughing Man fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 16, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
^ They do... Sorta. They just give certain weapons, 1 for each slot though IIRC. And not all the weapons are represented with the weapon cheats.

For the guy who wanted to know about early West Elizabeth access, I saw some youtube videos about floating stagecoaches across v:shobon:v?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It's not enough to kill folks and raise hell in this game. I've kicking rear end and taking names to theme music.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

I wouldn't even mind if they kept the same land. Maybe in the next one just expand it and add more surrounding areas and spread it further, but keep the same general locations/ideas/landmarks. Sorta like Liberty City in GTA3->4. I love this world they created.

doomfunk posted:

I absolutely would as well. Actually it's probably just a delusional hope on my part, but still, it would be completely awesome and a good, thematic followup to Redemption - you know, an environment where technology and urbanization seems to have failed everyone, and hyper-corporatising falling flat on its face.

Hell, there are even so many famous outlaws from the Depression era that it's just about right; the only issue thematically is you'd have to cash in your riding gloves for driving gloves.

Shame this completely isn't what's going to be happening.

It would be fantastic, but I don't see why you think it's so implausible. Rockstar takes more chances than almost any other successful developer I can think of. 80s game, '92 gangsta rap with BLACK protagonist, eastern european protagonist, latin protagonist, Manhunt, The Warriors game, Bully, and even setting RDR in 1911.

None of this poo poo wrote itself (edit: I guess Warriors kinda did ;) ), everything they have done has had an unexpected twist to it. I don't see a Depression/Prohibition era game being out the question at all.

Only issue might be it could conflict with L.A. Noire, especially if L.A. Noire is successful and warrants more.

VisAbsoluta posted:

In short, Rockstar should have 95,000 employees and make a game with the sandbox template they currently use based in every major fiction scenario ever.

Seriously, there's not a single thing you can imagine that wouldn't be awesome with these guys work.

A million times this. Their detail is incredible, so I will take any setting they wanna give me.

My ONLY issue is response time and close quarters in the RAGE+Euphoria engine. Taking cover then blindfiring takes like 3-4 seconds, and close quarters combat is just silly. I wish it was as responsive as something like Uncharted 2. I would buy RDR again at full price if they just tweaked response time and indoor/close quarters combat. It's still an improvement over GTA4 though, that felt like you were playing underwater sometimes.

Sco Dylan fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 16, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Spitshine posted:

:words: shooting a gold-plated .22 in the air... with twenty-three grizzly carcasses all around him and littering the road.

You use a Cattleman's Revolver for bear-killing? You're so brave :swoon:

quote:

Am I the only one that likes to use particular weapons depending on my outfit? I always go Mauser...when wearing the Savvy Merchant.

Holy hell, you too?! I was literally thinking to post about new costume loadouts, myself :sweatdrop:

For the Savvy Merchant, I use a Mauser, and a sawed-off shotgun (less clutter). If I'm outdoors and in trouble with it, I'll use a Henry Repeater.

On my Expert Hunter, it's all about the LeMat, which drops any predatory motherfucker in two shots maximum (at least in the head). It's my primary fox-hunting tool, too. I'll never forgive those fuckers from nipping at me once when I tried to save my horse from wolves. That 2-second distraction lead to my American Standardbred's death, and I'll always pop the whiny little fuckers in the head for a cool 40 something bucks. Also, the buffalo rifle, which is a given, and finally a pump-action shotgun. I know the semi-auto is better, but I literally went all the way up to the last Ross mission to get the damned gun, so I'm putting some use out of it with bear furs.

Speaking of bear furs, I maxed out the amount of bear fur and meat I could hold in about a half hour field trip in Tall Trees. Thank you, badger hat :signings:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I honestly wouldn't mind a prequel to the game. You hear all this dialogue from John and others about the early days with Dutch's gang, how they left John for dead... I wanna do that poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Morter posted:

You use a Cattleman's Revolver for bear-killing? You're so brave :swoon:

No no, he's just firing the Cattleman up in the air because he's all out of ammo for all his other guns after his wholesale bear slaughter. Duh.

Scarf posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind a prequel to the game. You hear all this dialogue from John and others about the early days with Dutch's gang, how they left John for dead... I wanna do that poo poo.

I would buy this.

Then again, I'd buy a game all about Herbert MOOON and his journey west to escape the thieving Jews in New York City and make his fortune in the west.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Morter posted:

It's my primary fox-hunting tool, too.

I always feel bad when I accidentally shoot a fox for some reason. They ain't never done bad to me, and they're kinda cute.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Where can I find the Legendary Jackalope? Also, is there a way to track which Gunsmiths you have or haven't sold something to? Social Club?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Sir Spaniard posted:

I always feel bad when I accidentally shoot a fox for some reason. They ain't never done bad to me, and they're kinda cute.

I used to not as well, until I realized they can lock onto your ankle and redden your screen. Varmints :arghfist:

Dr Geek posted:

Where can I find the Legendary Jackalope? Also, is there a way to track which Gunsmiths you have or haven't sold something to? Social Club?

Repentance Rock. Found him there twice (in different saves). Also, it turns out that that part of the challenge doesn't take into account gunsmiths you've bought from before. So you basically just have to do it again. There's only 4: Armadillo, Escalera (or Chuparosa, I forget. It's near the west), Thieves Landing, and Blackwater.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sir Spaniard posted:

I had a fox run up and bite me in the leg and run off again. I was all :raise:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

It would be fantastic, but I don't see why you think it's so implausible. Rockstar takes more chances than almost any other successful developer I can think of. 80s game, '92 gangsta rap with BLACK protagonist, eastern european protagonist, latin protagonist, Manhunt, The Warriors game, Bully, and even setting RDR in 1911.

None of this poo poo wrote itself (edit: I guess Warriors kinda did ;) ), everything they have done has had an unexpected twist to it. I don't see a Depression/Prohibition era game being out the question at all.

Only issue might be it could conflict with L.A. Noire, especially if L.A. Noire is successful and warrants more.

Actually I meant it wasn't happening, specifically, for the next game in the RDR series! There's not much occurring (aside from in banking, irrigation, and power grid infrastructure) in the Depression era in the States to warrant the name "Revolution". With their track record I'd love for them to do something of that nature, and I basically have my toes crossed it happens. Hopping into someone's bucket seat with a Thompson and a fedora is my idea of a good time. They really are ballsy as hell though, what with the medicinal cocaine in Warriors and.. basically everything GTA and Bully.
Actually somewhat surprised John has zero interest in prostitutes, what with how they were in the GTA games. He is very serious about his marriage.

Dr Geek posted:

Where can I find the Legendary Jackalope?

I had a jackalope spawn a stone's throw away from Bonnie's front stoop, not ten minutes after I first started up my game. Needless to say, I was shocked. I think they have a very, very low chance of spawning anywhere you can see a rabbit, based on this, and I just basically won the lottery.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ugh, trying for cougar with dynamite leads to triple cougar rear end rape.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Dr Geek posted:

So in between freezes and glitches when I get 5-10 minutes of the game actually working, I went looking for the Jackalope and put bait all out around Cholla Springs where Rockstar suggested. Used like 4 bottles of bait and nothing, so I basically gave up and on the way back to Armadillo there is a campfire and they ask me to join them so I do. As the guy is wrapping up his story about John Marston being shot at Fort Mercer, a Jackalope literally runs INTO the campfire and keeps bounding off. One tomahawk later and I got me the Hunter's Outfit.

Also in case anyone else is having issues, I recorded a video of the game glitching (no menus, can't move, low res textures, can't shoot or select weapons, etc) and tweeted it to Rockstar. Hopefully they fix this issue up.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Sir Spaniard posted:

This is how I feel about bobcats. Bobcats are so drat cute in this game, because they're reeeeaaallly curious, and I always react thinking they're cougars at first. But then the little pint-sized bobcats ALWAYS come within about fifteen feet of me, and they just look at me. It's like me and the bobcat are giving each other the stink eye and waiting to see what the other's going to do. They never attack, they just run up and look at me and then scamper off. I love them :3:

VVV i dont wanna :colbert:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 16, 2010

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Spitshine posted:

This is how I feel about bobcats. Bobcats are so drat cute in this game, because they're reeeeaaallly curious, and I always react thinking they're cougars at first. But then the little pint-sized bobcats ALWAYS come within about fifteen feet of me, and they just look at me. It's like me and the bobcat are giving each other the stink eye and waiting to see what the other's going to do. They never attack, they just run up and look at me and then scamper off. I love them :3:

If you've got Liars & Cheats, pay a visit to Roca de Madera in Free Roam and watch how cute they can be when they swarm like motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

I found the easiest way is to write down the button sequence and go by the sound while looking at it, instead of the screen.
Yeah, I've heard that from a lot of people, actually. Incidentally, I just got fed up with it and decided to stubbornly do it over and over and over and over until I had no choice but to get it done through muscle memory alone, guitar hero style. I had a few hiccups along the way, but in order to get out of my negatives and up to +$1000 I ended up literally doing the FFF routine over two dozen times :v: It definitely became muscle memory. Also, I'm never going to play it again.

• Locked thread