Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

needknees posted:

Great pics, thanks :)

You are welcome, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Since the mighty Aussie dollar is pushing parity, I've been thinking about going for a holiday in the States, and am thinking about doing a CSS day. Anyone got an opinion on which track would be good? Laguna Seca being the obvious first choice, but I don't really know anything about the others. But I've gotta wait for them to release their 2011 schedule anyway.

Laguna is a good choice, although if you want a track that'll kick the crap out of you technically, Infineon is the track of choice. Miller is faster and more open with less technical stuff, same with Laguna.

So basically, what do you want out of it?

I'm also biased considering CA has great weather and riding pretty much year round.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Come to Connecticut where you too can experience the joy and wonder of seeing parades of aging Harley riders with t-shirt and shorts on, and where the closest track, which is three hours away, happens to be a lovely course that even the AMA won't touch due to safety hazards!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Laguna is a good choice, although if you want a track that'll kick the crap out of you technically, Infineon is the track of choice. Miller is faster and more open with less technical stuff, same with Laguna.

So basically, what do you want out of it?

I'm also biased considering CA has great weather and riding pretty much year round.

I had been thinking CA as well for that reason. What are Sear's Point, Las Vegas or Streets of Willow Springs like?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sorry, didn't realize they were using the old name. Sears point is infineon.

Streets of willow is a tiny, torn up little track. I wouldn't want to ride a s1000rr there period, it's tight and bumpy and crappy.

I've never run the Vegas track, and honestly don't know much about it.

If I were traveling that far, I'd probably shoot for laguna, honestly. May as well ride the same track that the gp does out here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dp. :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 16, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Back from my first track weekend with X-ACT at Tally!

Learned a bunch of stuff and had fun. Not as much as I had hoped, but oh well. Riding with novices who go WOT on the straightaways and loving park it going into turns, brake in mid corner (le sigh) kind of got to me. Not to say that I didn't belong in novice..I'm slow as hell and definitely ran novice pace in relation to I and A, but gently caress. Started to get frustrated the second time I almost asspacked someone who put on the brakes and changed his(her?) line mid-corner. No passing in turns and Tally has extremely short straightaways so it was tough to get around people. The sessions where I could run at my own pace were fantastic though.

Was with my buddy who was riding his VFR (as usual). There's something back asswards about this picture... :

Guy is insane. He was pulling 1:08's on a goddamn viffer. Had burned through the left side of his rear NTEC by the end of the second day.

I'm definitely done riding on the street though. Last session of the day I was feeling a little tired and was debating if I wanted to stay in, but I was like gently caress it, I'm not going to get to go back to the track for a long time so I went ahead with it anyway. I KNEW I shouldn't have ridden (I've read it in here so,so,so many times) and lowsided in turn 4, 2 laps before the end of the weekend. Whoops. Felt like I had broken my wrist when I first got up but it feels like it's just a sprain or bruised bone or somesuch now.

Snapped the left clipon clean in two, snapped the left footpeg off, broke my gopro housing AND messed up the camera/scratched the lens. Hilariously, I lost one of the Yamaha logos from the gas tank. Lucky that the tank didn't spark and set the bike on fire. Need to invest in gas tank sliders. The only thing that didn't break on the left side were the ASV levers. Unbreakable indeed!

But yeah, I was basically done with the street anyway (as per post in ye ole discussion thread) so this cinched it for me. Going to drop the insurance it has, get some clipons, rearsets, and race plastics over the next few months and make it into a track bike. Glad I crashed, actually. Otherwise I probably was going to just give up riding completely. You know you're addicted to this poo poo when you crash, think you have a broken wrist, and still want to get right the gently caress back out there and work on lines.

Edit: Rereading, that post makes me sound arrogant about riding in novice...definitely wasn't. I just was not comfortable passing so it kind of put a damper on things sometimes.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 18, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh dear, just pre-registered for a trackday on Halloween. I haven't been to the track on the new zx6r... this is going to be sweeeeet. Mounting new Dunlop Q2s tomorrow too. :D

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 18, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Glad I crashed, actually. Otherwise I probably was going to just give up riding completely.

I find it interesting that you were going to stop riding and then you crash and decide that you want to continue. :crossarms:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

I'm definitely done riding on the street though. Last session of the day I was feeling a little tired and was debating if I wanted to stay in, but I was like gently caress it, I'm not going to get to go back to the track for a long time so I went ahead with it anyway. I KNEW I shouldn't have ridden (I've read it in here so,so,so many times) and lowsided in turn 4, 2 laps before the end of the weekend. Whoops. Felt like I had broken my wrist when I first got up but it feels like it's just a sprain or bruised bone or somesuch now.

Arggg this is why I always tell people not to push it out for the last session. Crashes in the last session are super common because people are tired and make really dumb mistakes, tense up, run wide/etc. :(

quote:

Edit: Rereading, that post makes me sound arrogant about riding in novice...definitely wasn't. I just was not comfortable passing so it kind of put a damper on things sometimes.

No, it's a really common complaint in novice groups if you're relatively comfortable on the bike. There's a lot of dumb behavior in the novice groups, and if you can even keep to the basics like "No braking midcorner" and "get on the gas in the corner", then you'll rapidly run up on people. Couple that with restrictive passing rules, and it's easy to get frustrated.

Glad you're ok though, and track riding is the best, so welcome to another far more expensive addiction! You should still get a sumo though. :D

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I find it interesting that you were going to stop riding and then you crash and decide that you want to continue. :crossarms:
I know right? Funny how that works. It wouldn't have made sense to convert a decent condition 50th anniversary r6 into a track bike but now that the left side of the bike is smashed all over the grass in Alabama the value of that body work dropped to uh, very low.

Z3n posted:

Arggg this is why I always tell people not to push it out for the last session. Crashes in the last session are super common because people are tired and make really dumb mistakes, tense up, run wide/etc. :(
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. Better to learn now though instead of when I'm running I or A group pace.

Z3n posted:

Glad you're ok though, and track riding is the best, so welcome to another far more expensive addiction! You should still get a sumo though. :D
Hoping I can get everything prepped and good to go by December :) I think I may still buy a cheap sumo in the spring... drat this hobby

By the way, this is somewhat random but if any of you doods doing trackdays need a really sticky tire I have access to Euro spec NTEC's. $195 per set of 120/70-17 + 190/55-17's (600 class runs 190 size in the NTEC's, literbikes will use a 200). They're takeoffs from AMA practice sessions and will only have 20-30 laps on them. I may be able to get 200's too, I can check into it. But yeah if anyone is interested just let me know! I'm located in Atlanta and I can ship them if you're willing to foot the shipping cost.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
This is going to be a slightly lame report but I did another trackday last saturday! :woop:

For my big vacation this year I decided to go visit friends in the southwest... and drag my bikes along with me. No, I'm not hardcore and didn't ride the entire way (going from IA to NM/AZ is seriously loving boring most of the way anyway, best done at night just to get it loving done and over with) but whatever.

Did a day at the Sandia Raceway in Albuquerque... what a fun little track. Watching videos of the place it seemed kinda lame and unsafe but it wasn't bad at all once I actually got there. Started the day in novice since it was my first day there and only the 4th day on the KTM... I got meatballed at the end of the first session. They kicked me out of novice :v:. Kinda felt good although I did sorta feel like a dick. The have pretty loose passing rules there, the only time you were not allowed to pass in novice was on the inside entering a corner... outside was fine, inside on corner exit was fine. After maybe 7 laps I was feeling pretty comfortable with the track's layout so I started picking up the pace a bit. and passing a shitload of people. I think the stunt that got me booted from novice was going around the outside of a string of 6 or 7 riders in T1. It was pretty hilarious if I do say. I never made any illegal passes, I was just making a lot of passes...

The rest of the day was more or less without incident. There were a few crashes in all the groups but nothing serious at all. Ambulance never went on track. Most bikes were fine enough to ride again.

The track layout was super fun -- VERY sumo friendly. It was quite tight and the straights were short as hell so big bikes never had much of an advantage. Hell one of turns was tight enough i was bogging a bit in second, and the KTM is geared super loving short. It was that tight.

I had a great battle with a dude on a current gen CBR1000... he wasn't terribly fast so I could easily catch and pass him, only to have him shoot off again on the straights. It was amazing how fast his bike would zip away only to have me catch him on the brakes... the straights weren't long enough for him to pull any serious distance on me - I could make it all up on the next corner. We did this for a couple laps until he finally did the smart thing and stopped pinning it for a little bit... never saw him again. GODDAMN it feels great to ride around another bike with 3x the horsepower :dance:.

I had two "moments," both of which were in the same corner. That super loving tight t3... both times i nearly lost the front. Push push skid skid... The second time (which happened in the last session) was enough for me to call it quits. Just happened to be towards the very end and they threw the checkered as I was rolling into the pits so no big deal. Still scared the crap out of me though. I've come to the conclusion the KTM really really does not like being off the gas. IT's amazing what a little throttle in a corner will do to its feel and front end grip. I probably still have the suspension settings hosed up a bit but who knows.

Very fun track though, and if you're ever in ABQ I suggest stopping in. Cheap, entertaining, decent riders.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Help! I was talking to my friend who was at the track with me and he said that I probably crashed because of my body position and throttle control. I agree with the latter, I believe I was getting on the throttle too soon and too aggressively. I thought my body positioning was alright, but I guess not. What do you guys think?

Here's a video too. He said that my head was in the right place but I needed to move the rest of my body over more. If my head was down low by the tank and I had a knee on the ground, how else could I really move my body to the outside? He was saying that the bike was probably leaned over too far for the speed I was going. Sorry about the music, I had edited it for something else so you'll have to excuse me on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkG1ZfabpRM

I know I have a lot of problems but most of those I know how to fix. I was letting off the throttle before the braking markers (solution: either be pinned on the throttle or braking when in a straight line) and then overbraking going into the turn (solution: find a comfortable turn in speed -> don't overbrake). Also being too aggressive on the throttle (in turn 4/5 anyways) (solution: carry faster entry speed and be smooooooth with the throttle). Not too worried about that stuff, but I would be interested to hear what you guys think about BP and any critique is welcome. Turn 4 is where I crashed (:56 & 2:22), is there anything I'm doing wrong there? I know my turn-in is sloppy (lean-up-lean) but aside from that?

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 21, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
From the video it looks like you kinda ride crossed up - lower half of body way off and upper part more centered, which probably puts bad input into the bars... either way, BP doesn't matter as much as most people cry about. Can't tell anything about your throttle control from the video though :(

I feel like that tippyness is probably from the same way I cause it on occasion... being over aggressive on body position and putting a lot of weight on the bars to try and move my body under braking and into the turn tip in... but hey, I am probably wrong, and I'd love to hear what other people say.

By the way, no braking drills are a test of balls and teach you a lot....

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 21, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm sure it was a case of just a bit too much throttle, but not necessarily too early. Throttle is generally good and most people are of the opinion that you should be on the throttle right after braking and turning the bike, so no worries there. I've been there, just a bit too much and the rear wheel goes bye-bye. It didn't look like you were getting the bike leaned over enough for ground clearance to be an issue, and thus body position should not have been much of a factor.

Do you remember what controls you were inputting when you went down? It could also have been too much front brake for your lean angle if you were trailbraking, causing the front to wash out from under you.

Edit: That said, it does look like you ride a bit crossed-up, meaning that you slide your rear end off more than you move your head and torso. Your torso and head are going to impact your center of gravity more so make sure you're getting them off to the side, where a mirror would be. One good way to help this is to really make sure your hips are opened up to the direction of the turn, with your outside leg firmly planted on the tank.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 21, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Help! I was talking to my friend who was at the track with me and he said that I probably crashed because of my body position and throttle control. I agree with the latter, I believe I was getting on the throttle too soon and too aggressively. I thought my body positioning was alright, but I guess not. What do you guys think?

Here's a video too. He said that my head was in the right place but I needed to move the rest of my body over more. If my head was down low by the tank and I had a knee on the ground, how else could I really move my body to the outside? He was saying that the bike was probably leaned over too far for the speed I was going. Sorry about the music, I had edited it for something else so you'll have to excuse me on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkG1ZfabpRM

I know I have a lot of problems but most of those I know how to fix. I was letting off the throttle before the braking markers (solution: either be pinned on the throttle or braking when in a straight line) and then overbraking going into the turn (solution: find a comfortable turn in speed -> don't overbrake). Also being too aggressive on the throttle (in turn 4/5 anyways) (solution: carry faster entry speed and be smooooooth with the throttle). Not too worried about that stuff, but I would be interested to hear what you guys think about BP and any critique is welcome. Turn 4 is where I crashed (:56 & 2:22), is there anything I'm doing wrong there? I know my turn-in is sloppy (lean-up-lean) but aside from that?

Ok, keep in mind this wall of text is just from what you have described, and watching some video of you. I could be off base on any of this, but this is just my thoughts from what I saw.

First of all, your BP is fine. You weren't leaned over too far for the speed you were going. What you were doing wrong is applying more throttle while not standing the bike up. This is the downside that occasionally shows up in aggressive riders who start on small displacement bikes...not enough respect for the throttle. You shouldn't be afraid of it, but you do need to respect it.

Second of all, for T4, you are turning in WAY too early. The fact that you have to stand the bike up or risk going off the inside of the track means that your turn in is way, way, way early. As a result, you end up completing your turn in early and from the inside of the track, causing you to use a lot more lean angle on the exit of the corner to compensate for your inside and early turn in. As you approach the corner exit, you say "Corner is over, APPLY THROTTLE!" but you're still leaned over to complete the corner, you demand more acceleration from the rear while not reducing the amount the lean you're requiring, and eventually you overwhelm traction on the rear tire and down you go.

T4 is also a decreasing radius corner, so that's stacking on everything else as well. If it was constant radius, you probably wouldn't have crashed (because you would have been able to stand the bike up rather than having to hold it in the corner to make it), if you had obeyed the other throttle rule (Do not increase throttle without reducing lean angle) you wouldn't have crashed.

But the combination of these factors were the primary contributers to your crash, IMO:

1. Early, turn in, effectively from the inside, requiring extreme amounts of lean angle on corner exit to compensate.
2. Adding throttle without reducing lean
3. Poor line choice exacerbating the DR nature of the corner.

If you turned in later and trailbraked in, you could actually get on the gas earlier and harder because you would have correctly set your line choice so that you're at the highest levels of lean earlier in the corner, allowing you to stand the bike up earlier and get on the gas earlier.

Now, what leads to these mistakes? Commonly, riding over your head. You're early on the brakes, late on the gas, too hard on the gas, trying to make up time. Pinning it is good, but it's useless to pin it and go deep/hard on the brakes if it comes at the cost of consistency. Time is made on the straights, getting off the corner well is an order of magnitude more important than getting into it well. If you carry 10mph more through the 100 feet of corner entry, you will see a microscopic decrease in your times, if you carry 5 mph more through the last 100 feet of the corner and the entire 500 foot straight following it, you will see a huge decrease in your times. Being either pinned or full on the brakes is great in theory, but only if you're comfortable enough on the bike to not start blowing all of your entrances and overbraking everywhere as a result of it.

I made it to A group on my SV braking early and hard and making sure I got off the corners well over anything else, and I'd pass 600s on corner exit because I was so much earlier on the gas. With the power of an R6, forget about going deep and hard on the brakes, focus on the strong suit of the bike...getting off corners. If you brake 20 feet earlier but feel comfortable, you will carry more cornerspeed, and that gives you a lot more time than trying to carry a few more MPH at the very end of the straight, overbraking, and losing all that additional speed through the corners.

I hope I got all that through clearly :ohdear:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

You guys are the best.

BlackMK4 posted:

By the way, no braking drills are a test of balls and teach you a lot....
Next time I go to the track I'm going to do at least 1 lap in a single gear without using brakes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Do you remember what controls you were inputting when you went down? It could also have been too much front brake for your lean angle if you were trailbraking, causing the front to wash out from under you.
Naw I wasn't trail braking. Looking at the rear tire I can see where it spun up.

Z3n posted:

First of all, your BP is fine. You weren't leaned over too far for the speed you were going. What you were doing wrong is applying more throttle while not standing the bike up. This is the downside that occasionally shows up in aggressive riders who start on small displacement bikes...not enough respect for the throttle. You shouldn't be afraid of it, but you do need to respect it.
Yeah, I was afraid that was going to happen. That was only the second day I REALLY rode the R6 aside from commuting (3rd if you count a really slow mountain run to scrub in a set of Powers) after riding the 250 for 16,000 miles. It's one of those things that's almost muscle memory, since big throttle movements on a 250 were needed to go anywhere and it was near impossible to spin the rear.

Z3n posted:

Second of all, for T4, you are turning in WAY too early.
YES. I was having this problem all day..turning in too early and staying too far on the inside line during turnin. The turn in marker is actually a bit before where I was turning in as well (it's the cone on its side). I think I was thinking, "gently caress, that turn in marker is there so I should be turning in reliability close to it!". I know that's not right, but I kept catching myself doing it.

Z3n posted:

Now, what leads to these mistakes? Commonly, riding over your head. You're early on the brakes, late on the gas, too hard on the gas, trying to make up time. Pinning it is good, but it's useless to pin it and go deep/hard on the brakes if it comes at the cost of consistency.
My biggest problem in this regard was that I was rolling off the throttle well before the brake markers. At the speeds I was going by the time I got to the brake markers/turn in point I could have easily turned in without getting on the brakes at all. Again though, I would think to myself "drat, those brake markers are there, better get on the brakes..." even though I didn't need to.

Z3n posted:

Being either pinned or full on the brakes is great in theory, but only if you're comfortable enough on the bike to not start blowing all of your entrances and overbraking everywhere as a result of it.
I actually think I might have been alright doing that. It's hard not to put faith into modern supersport brakes with HH pads, stainless lines, levers adjusted far out, and NTECs. I'll have to see if I'm more comfortable pinning/braking or easing more into the turns.

Awesome advice as usual though...sounds like my line choice is screwing me in every possible way. But yeah, I was looking at the Trackmaster data from that lap, and my speeds from turn in to crash went as follows:

(Updated every 1 sec)
49mph
52mph
49mph
49mph
56mph

54mph
51mph
44mph
31mph
17mph
3mph
1mph

I'm guessing that the 7mph increase in 1 second while leaned over in a turn spun up the tire, which would explain why speeds dropped 5mph shortly after that (tire spinning) and then it was on its side. poo poo, it sure did not feel like 2 seconds went by. It feels like the tire only spun for a fraction of a second and then dumped me off. Didn't even have time to process or correct it.

Cool deal though, it sure as hell is teaching me a lot. Now to try to get to Jennings open day Nov 8...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It's possible that your tire spun right after the 49mph reading and it got even faster, but the next reading caught it while it was slowing down.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

-Inu- posted:

Awesome advice as usual though...sounds like my line choice is screwing me in every possible way. But yeah, I was looking at the Trackmaster data from that lap, and my speeds from turn in to crash went as follows:

(Updated every 1 sec)
49mph
52mph
49mph
49mph
56mph

54mph
51mph
44mph
31mph
17mph
3mph
1mph

I'm guessing that the 7mph increase in 1 second while leaned over in a turn spun up the tire, which would explain why speeds dropped 5mph shortly after that (tire spinning) and then it was on its side. poo poo, it sure did not feel like 2 seconds went by. It feels like the tire only spun for a fraction of a second and then dumped me off. Didn't even have time to process or correct it.

Cool deal though, it sure as hell is teaching me a lot. Now to try to get to Jennings open day Nov 8...

Just picked up a Qstarz BT-818XT (10hz Bluetooth GPS receiver) to mess around with in Trackmaster. I'm really excited to try it out next weekend at Road Atlanta. Have you tried putting your data in Google Earth or anything? Have you found any way to make pretty pictures/graphs for the internets? Do you find the resolution at 1hz fine enough to see the different lines you're taking? Where did you put your phone?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

lokigoesrawr posted:

Just picked up a Qstarz BT-818XT (10hz Bluetooth GPS receiver) to mess around with in Trackmaster. I'm really excited to try it out next weekend at Road Atlanta. Have you tried putting your data in Google Earth or anything? Have you found any way to make pretty pictures/graphs for the internets? Do you find the resolution at 1hz fine enough to see the different lines you're taking? Where did you put your phone?
I haven't put it into GE and I couldn't figure out a way to properly export the data to put online. You can save a google earth file, which supposedly is possible to open with Google Maps, but I couldn't get it to work. So the only options are linking someone a GE file or an excel spreadsheet. 1hz works alright but I am definitely going to buy an external receiver. My markers for Tally were set up pretty badly because I couldn't do it using a map because the track layout had changed since Google's satellite had been updated. So I had to walk to track and setup split markers by hand, and we kind of uh, got chased by loving DOGS AT MIDNIGHT while walking the track. That and my phone was dying at the time and my hands were numb, so I didn't have enough split markers in the corners.

I kept it in my jacket pocket. There were a few sessions where it told me GPS data was inaccurate but generally it was within .10s of a $100 XT timer. And that was with the thing in a pocket and without an external receiver.

Green lines are where speed is increasing, blue lines are where speed is constant, and red lines are where speed is decreasing. You can see how incredibly early I was decelerating. When you do the split makers for Road A just set up a poo poo ton of them. Try to set them up close to the racing line for maximum accuracy. With properly set split markers and an external receiver, it will be an AMAZING tool. You'll be able to see exactly at what point you're slowing for turns, how much you are slowing, what line you are taking, throttle control in the corners, and most importantly how consistent you are with all that stuff. Gotta love technology.

Edit: Oh! One thing I did do was use the trackmaster data to setup an overlay for videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2wNdeFms64

It's not completely accurate because of the aforementioned factors and the fact that I didn't try too carefully to sync it to the video, but in this case I was just messing around with it and it gives a decent ballpark.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

But yeah, I was looking at the Trackmaster data from that lap, and my speeds from turn in to crash went as follows:

(Updated every 1 sec)
49mph
52mph
49mph
49mph
56mph

54mph
51mph
44mph
31mph
17mph
3mph
1mph

The bike doesn't slow down when the tire starts spinning. It just accelerates slower. That spike is because you were getting on the gas hard while still leaned over. You can pretty clearly see it in the video, you're still cranked over and you just walk away from the filming bike like he's not even moving. There's only one way to do that, and that's with the throttle. The app is recording off of GPS, so you definitely drove out faster, probably faster than the data indicates, if you drove out like you did in the video, judging by the splits, you probably crashed running a bit faster than 56mph, but the GPS is only picking up every second, so the data looks a bit funny.

But again, just what the data shows to me.

On the cones...gently caress cones, man. Who knows where they're set, who knows who set them out there, what pace they were running, what pace they expected you to run, what style of riding they were doing...cones can be handy for reference points as long as you know they're going to stay static, and you verify the legitimacy of them before you start using them. If someone's more aggressive on turn in, they'll need a later turn in point, if they're slower, they'll need an earlier one. Relying on cones is like relying on the person in front of you to judge your speed...you don't know who they are, how fast they're coming in, etc. etc. I can't count the number of times I've had someone I've passed in the past fly past me, I hit my braking marker and start braking, they go "deep", and I think "goddamn, they're really flying!" and then I watch them blow off the track. If I tried to follow them in, I would have gone flying off the track right after them...cones are the same way. They're someone else's reference points, which might be a good indication of where to turn in, it might be a lesson on how little some people know about riding. Who knows if the control riders put them out there, the cornerworkers, or if they were left out from the last drift event.

(rant over)

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
So a couple of months ago my wife had her first trackday. Looking back it didn't take Nostradamus to predict that it'd be a bumpy one - baby boy plus an only marginally road legal bike meant she hadn't ridden more than a couple of times in the past year.

To top it all off it was a wet day, so when she scared herself into running off track in the first session, the result was:

Still, she'd been bitten by the bug. We spent a few weekends running our own imaginary tracks in abandoned parking lots and that gave her back the confidence she was missing; we went back this weekend and she had an amazing time.

It was an awesome day; dry, lots of friendly people and as much track time as we could handle.

The guy who set up next to us was about a hundred years old and had bought a S1000RR because it gave him the safety net of traction control but still let him scare himself silly. He went out in the novice group, and it was awesome to see such a wide spread of people all having fun.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Just got back from Chuckwalla in SoCal. It's been resurfaced at a few sections since opening earlier in the year, and is now very smooth. The bowl turn sees speeds of around 90mph+ and is very fun. A neat psuedo-laguna seca corkscrew leads up to it. I think it's a preferable alternative to big track at willow, or if you don't want to drive to buttonwillow.

Some pictures:

Not the corkscrew, but a weird offcamber turn (at the top) that leads into a right hander. The offcamber instills fear in me every time I go through it.

Me not dragging knee

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chuckwalla is like 5 hours from me...through LA. :negative:

I'd love to go out there though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any tracks along the i40 into Cali from Az? I'm moving in January and I need to do some research. :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any tracks along the i40 into Cali from Az? I'm moving in January and I need to do some research. :v:

Depends on where you are in AZ but if it's eastern... I took a trip down south to visit friends and ride, did a trackday at Sanida raceway, on the very west side of Albuquerque. It was a very tight but fun track. I think their season is more or less done for the year though.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Z3n posted:

Chuckwalla is like 5 hours from me...through LA. :negative:

I'd love to go out there though.

Is that the track that opened up near joshua tree?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheTrend posted:

Is that the track that opened up near joshua tree?

Yeah. Haven't heard much about it, but Take it 2 the Track runs there all the drat time.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

That place looks really cool just from looking at the map. 10° bowl yes ok.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Got out for a little supermoto practice session at PGP last week. It was the first time I've been out on an SM track since I broke myself this spring.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Zootlization#p/a/u/0/ABR6SBb-yLw
yep, I'm slow

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Z3n posted:

Yeah. Haven't heard much about it, but Take it 2 the Track runs there all the drat time.

It's pretty cool. But absolutely no amenities save for a huge patch of tarmac on which to park your transport/encampment. Only outhouses or temporary bathroom trailer thing, as well. I think they have a fuel depot, however. No shops or anything nearby, either. You're basically stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I recommend TI2TT mostly because they are very nice and accomodating, have helpful control riders, and charge enough per track day to keep out the riffraff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First trackday on the ZX6R tomorrow... too bad it's at Firebird East. :v: Can't wait.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

BlackMK4 posted:

First trackday on the ZX6R tomorrow... too bad it's at Firebird East. :v: Can't wait.

I'll be there too! I'm just helping my roommates this weekend though, since I finally found a buyer for the daytona. We have a yellow R6 and a thrashed black/blue sv650, stop by and say hi.

East is a good time though for the most part. I hate t1 and all its slippery evilness, but the rest isn't too bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I didn't see your post until I got home :(

You wouldn't have happened to be the R6 with no taillight or the SV650 that went down in the afternoon?
I was running in Super Street - I had crazy rear end movement under braking and I didn't figure out until my last session that it was mostly because I didn't have enough preload in the front.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2010

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
250's are the bomb! this was the last race weekend of the season. ran 2 sprints and a 2hr endurance on my 250. placed 10th overall. i'll take it, thank you very much.

edit.
running a 6hr endurance with my team next sunday.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
also, i am now looking for a 600 for track and race duty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Veritas posted:

also, i am now looking for a 600 for track and race duty.

Sell you an 09 zx6r :v: I kinda want to move down to a SV650.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Where are you located? The WERA forums are pretty much the #1 resource for cheap track bikes right now, IMO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? The WERA forums are pretty much the #1 resource for cheap track bikes right now, IMO.

My chick friend bought an immaculate faired 2006 SV650 like a year ago for $2300 and she has ridden it for all of 10 minutes since, I am currently trying to snag that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

My chick friend bought an immaculate faired 2006 SV650 like a year ago for $2300 and she has ridden it for all of 10 minutes since, I am currently trying to snag that one.

Honestly, if you're looking for a track only bike you're way better off picking up a pre modded one. You can spend 2300$ on an immaculate 06 model, and then immediately have to dump a grand into the suspension, plus track plastics, plus rearsets, plus everything else...or you can go out and spend 3k-3500$ and pick up a bike that's already built and ready to go with spares.

Prices are a bit high still at the moment but will drop as things get closer to christmas. This is a friend's bike:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350774

On the cheaper side, this is a nice proddy SV for 2200$:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337499

And this is a really nice superbike one, with flatslides and a built motor for 3700$
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346522

• Locked thread