Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

First week sales by volume since the start of 2009. Looks like people were okay with Woli till Morikawa started beating the reader over the head with him.

86 - 129530 Start of Miyata vs Randy Boy Junior.
87 - 202120 Middle of Miyata vs Randy Boy Junior.
88 - 152089 End of Miyata vs Randy Boy Junior.
89 - 133627 Takamura match, side-characters and Ippo set up.
90 - 132593 Woli vs Ippo intro and start.
91 - 142210 More Woli.
92 - 124318 Still more Woli.
93 - 110981 End of Woli and start of Itagaki's arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
909 raw out.

Meet the new godmode, same as the old godmode

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I don't even wanna touch it. Think I'll take an Ippo hiatus for a year or so <:mad:>

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Trying to think of the exact point that Hajime no Ippo jumped the shark as a manga and I think it was after Miyata cancelled their fight just after Ippo's win against Take Keiichi. It was finally coming, you goddamn rear end in a top hat, then you pull some lame excuse out of your arse to stop it happening.

All down hill from there, even if I didn't really mind the Jimmy and Gedo fights..

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Trying to think of the exact point that Hajime no Ippo jumped the shark as a manga and I think it was after Miyata cancelled their fight just after Ippo's win against Take Keiichi. It was finally coming, you goddamn rear end in a top hat, then you pull some lame excuse out of your arse to stop it happening.

All down hill from there, even if I didn't really mind the Jimmy and Gedo fights..
Still not getting the Itagaki hate. I get more annoyed when 99% of Ippo's opponents nearly beat him to death before he wins.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

quote:

Still not getting the Itagaki hate.

Remembering when the manga was vaguely realistic, like the poo poo people had to go through to make weigh-ins and the stuff they did to train. And Itagaki is the most animu loving pun based God-moding nobody. Like when Miyata threw a Jesus punch filled with magic Japanese spirit that went faster than the speed of sound or something, it's a sign of meaningless bullshit getting in the way of a good story. Only Itagki is entirely meaningless bullshit with no redeeming qualities.

He adds nothing to the narrative, and slows down the plot of moving to the world stage.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just realized something. At this point Karasawa is a better main-shonen character than Ippo is.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Still not getting the Itagaki hate.

He can enter bullet time in a manga that is supposed to be somewhat realistic. How are we going to care about a character that (after being outmatched) can just switch god-mode on and proceed to cream his opponent?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

trucutru posted:

How are we going to care about a character that (after being outmatched) can just switch god-mode on and proceed to cream his opponent?
I'm kinda confused as to who you're referring to...are you talking about Itagaki, Ippo, Miyata, or Takamura?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i mean obviously its all been downhill since Takamura became World Champion for the first time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wong Dongson posted:

Like when Miyata threw a Jesus punch filled with magic Japanese spirit that went faster than the speed of sound or something

Its kind of nice that the other manga I saw this in they had the training to make it happen then had his arms pretty much blow up as a result of using it a second time after mangling his hand on impact

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Geop posted:

I don't even wanna touch it. Think I'll take an Ippo hiatus for a year or so <:mad:>

I keep clinging on to the hope that someday something awesome will happen again like having Hammer Nao beat the crap out of Itagaki

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda confused as to who you're referring to...are you talking about Itagaki, Ippo, Miyata, or Takamura?

Heck, anyone within the main cast who aren't Aoki and Kimura can do that. They're only really threatened when up against other people from the main cast.

Itagaki Speed-God-Modes everything.
Miyata can counter anything and even when he's mostly down, he can still all of a sudden throw a counter so sharp the opponent is down.
Ippo is made of iron. No hits can bring him down, and even a single hit from him injures the opponent more than hundreds of blows hitting Ippo.
Takamura? Takamura is the most ridiculous of them all, being able to win the world championship in a weight class at least twenty kilos below his natural weight. (max weight in Junior middleweight is 69.9 kilos,

Let's add some more for good measure.
Sendou can't lose to anyone who isn't Ippo.
Mashiba can beat the poo poo out of anyone as long as he doesn't get himself disqualified.

Any random motherfuckers who end up boxing against one of these will invariably lose.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Exercu posted:

Heck, anyone within the main cast who aren't Aoki and Kimura can do that. They're only really threatened when up against other people from the main cast.

Itagaki Speed-God-Modes everything.
Miyata can counter anything and even when he's mostly down, he can still all of a sudden throw a counter so sharp the opponent is down.
Ippo is made of iron. No hits can bring him down, and even a single hit from him injures the opponent more than hundreds of blows hitting Ippo.
Takamura? Takamura is the most ridiculous of them all, being able to win the world championship in a weight class at least twenty kilos below his natural weight. (max weight in Junior middleweight is 69.9 kilos,

Let's add some more for good measure.
Sendou can't lose to anyone who isn't Ippo.
Mashiba can beat the poo poo out of anyone as long as he doesn't get himself disqualified.

Any random motherfuckers who end up boxing against one of these will invariably lose.

While all that is true the difference between Itagaki and the others is that his god-mode doesn't come from any kind of training, he is Woli2, a genius. (It is also the most far-fetched one) The Ippo and Miyata poo poo is also annoying as gently caress but at least they have trained to become mr. counter and mr. punching bag. Takamura is supposed to be superman so him beating the world champion with a hand tied around his back is ok with me.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I don't think anyone cares when Takamura god modes his way through fights because they're so drat entertaining. That and the fact he's so smug it goes past annoyance into hilarity.

"Yep, not gonna take a single punch"
*Puts dick in Aoki's face*

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
There are a million inconsistencies and big indicators of bad writing. The manga has just slid into a dark period. It's best not to get worked up about it, since our expectations of the author are clearly too high. He's been writing this manga for too long, I think. A nice break and changing direction to something else would help, but this is most likely his cash cow.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Can chapter 1000 be Ippo punching himself in the dick so hard that the entire planet explodes so this manga can finally be over. Can you even imagine owning a physical copy of every single volume of this?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

tazman posted:

I don't think anyone cares when Takamura god modes his way through fights because they're so drat entertaining. That and the fact he's so smug it goes past annoyance into hilarity.

Ippo wins by godmode, spends week in hospital and is all "Im still not strong wah" afterwards.

Takamura wins by godmode, declares he will give his sperm to all the women in japan and then go to be smug as gently caress on television.
He also ordered a bronze statue of himself BEFORE he fought for the world title.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Forest Fuckery, after carefully considering your post, I believe the way to save Hajime No Ippo is to kill off all the characters, except Takamura.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Jedah posted:

Forest Fuckery, after carefully considering your post, I believe the way to save Hajime No Ippo is to kill off all the characters, except Takamura.

Kamagawa is found dead; simultaneously punched by every character in the manga except Takamura. Takamura then spends a final series arc seeking revenge on every boxer in the series.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

In all seriousness, a Takamura "revenge" arc is EXACTLY what this manga needs. Few things in the story were better than Takamura's pure hatred/frustration/and the consequent build-up for battling Bryan Hawk. Takamura hasn't done anything too interesting in a long time.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Jedah posted:

In all seriousness, a Takamura "revenge" arc is EXACTLY what this manga needs. Few things in the story were better than Takamura's pure hatred/frustration/and the consequent build-up for battling Bryan Hawk. Takamura hasn't done anything too interesting in a long time.
Imo the high points of the whole manga was Takamura's world title fight, Kimura vs Mashiba and the Kamogawa flashback.

All of which where only tangentially ippo-related

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ippo vs Sawamura was rad as hell and definitely up there with the best fights.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Sindai posted:

Ippo vs Sawamura was rad as hell and definitely up there with the best fights.

The best Ippo-related fights are probably Ippo vs. Sendo, Ippo vs. Sendo and Ippo vs. Sawamura, yeah. Takamura vs Hawk was one of the few good Takamura fights (Because usually they end by him onepunching his enemies or at least just delivering a horrid smackdown. The moment he's actually pushed to box properly, it's awesome.)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Exercu posted:

Japanese frequently fight in lower weight classes because historically they cant contend as well at the world level at their natural weight.

KoB fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 30, 2010

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

KoB posted:

Japanese frequently fight in lower weight classes because historically they cant contend as well at the world level at their natural weight.

Yeah but he was cutting like loving absurd amounts of weight

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

tbp posted:

Yeah but he was cutting like loving absurd amounts of weight

Ahh, the good days when that was the most ridiculous part of this manga.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
raw is up. Is anyone even scanlating this anymore? it's been like a month :smith:

fights over, hooray?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

frabba posted:

raw is up. Is anyone even scanlating this anymore? it's been like a month :smith:

fights over, hooray?

Yeah, there was a big down period. Chapter 907 has just been done:
http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Motherfucker just phased out.

This is the end of the manga for me. Itagaki just became so fast he sundered the world. Cue the ending montage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:psyduck:

This manga needs to end, its a progressive jump the shark over and over again. The only way to make sense of this is the ippo head trauma theory.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hope the next chapter starts with Itagaki dead, killed by the centrifugal force he's exerted on his internal organs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hope the next chapter starts with Itagaki dead, killed by the centrifugal force he's exerted on his internal organs.

The greatest genius, Itagaki the Quick. That'd be a hell of a way to go.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
What the christ was that.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
great, I hope he never reappears

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He actually ran so fast that he hit the ropes and went right over them. No one has noticed that he is on the floor outside the ring yet. Alternately, he just used the speed force to visit the 30th century.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pffffttt. Krillin and Master Roshi were doing that wayyyy back, during the first martial arts tournament. That's pretty weak Itagaki, at least throw a Makankosappo or Super Dodon Ray while you're at it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I haven't laughed this hard at a manga in a very long time.

Now that Itagaki has mastered the art of zwee fighting he can try landing punches again.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
If he hasn't fallen outside the ring in the next chapter, I'mma be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

After we saw the outrageous antics pulled off in the Woli match, plus the Miyata vs. RBJ match, we had to expect this sort of thing. Plus, Itagaki already had a history of doing insane stuff like this, too. Remember Hoshi? That fight was certainly just as exaggerated, it was just drawn, presented, and executed a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that this new trend of writing is extremely lazy. It doesn't feel (at all) like the same HnI anymore. The manga is transitioning from "somewhat realistic" & character-driven boxing to the new approach of full-blown magical realism.

The past emphasis on special technique, feints, mind games, weight control, strategy, and finesse are all quickly disappearing. Just how did this happen? I believe that the "Bolt" punch was a crucial turning point for the manga. Miyata had zero chance of victory and yet still won, for no good reason. He simply should have lost. It's like Mori spit in the faces of all the die-hard fans, and frankly, fans of common sense and logic. It was a clear proclamation of "Hey guys. This is my manga, I'm going to do whatever the gently caress I please."

Takamura is supposed to be the only character in the manga who wins unconditionally. Certainly, we have accepted his role, even if it means his fights are reduced to lovely gimmicks & silly jokes sometimes. However, now Ippo, Miyata, AND Itagaki can pull off their own version of "godmode," also known as "deus ex machina," also known as "regardless of what happens, I will win." Well, that's not very interesting to read.

I would be fine with everything if the fights weren't so predictable. That's what kills it for me. For example, I'm about 99.9% positive Itagaki will win Class A. Where's the drama, suspense, or tension if the fan knows what is coming? For the record, I truly hope that I'm wrong, I really, really do. I pray Morikawa does the completely unexpected and takes the manga into uncharted territory. Like many of you, I'm a long-time fan of the series, but it's very difficult to be positive for the future of the manga.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 17, 2010