Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Zakalwe posted:

I was reading about the Boss noise suppressor and apparently you're not supposed to just put it in your signal path. You're supposed to use it's send and return for your noisy pedals or something like that.
I'm running a Tubescreamer TS9 just like that through my NS2 into a Blackstar HT5 with the gain channel on. poo poo's boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm running a Tubescreamer TS9 just like that through my NS2 into a Blackstar HT5 with the gain channel on. poo poo's boss.

I run all my distortion through the NS2 and it just has no buzz any more it's fantastic.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've got a Marshall AVT50 Combo right now and the following effects:

Zoom G9.2tt FX Board
Digitech Whammy
Ibanez TS9DX
Megawah
Boss Compression/Sustainer

Which order should I put these in, and should I put any of them in the effects loop?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I've heard from various people that putting an EQ in the effects loop can adjust the sound in your amp. I bought a rebel 20 a while back and found my EQ pedal, gave it a go and it just removed most of the volume. I know that I have the amp quite low in wattage as well as volume (apartment living :( should I just use the EQ only when I've got the volume a bit higher?

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Zakalwe posted:

I was reading about the Boss noise suppressor and apparently you're not supposed to just put it in your signal path. You're supposed to use it's send and return for your noisy pedals or something like that.

Yea I have a NS-2 and that's what I do. I run my guitar, wah and comp into the input on the pedal. Then I make a separate loop for the noisy pedals by running a cable from the send slot. After looping all my noisy pedals from the send, I close the loop by plugging a cable into the return slot. Then I just run a final cable from the output to the rest of my non-noisy pedals and then the amp.

picture for clarity

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Hungry Joe posted:

Yea I have a NS-2 and that's what I do. I run my guitar, wah and comp into the input on the pedal. Then I make a separate loop for the noisy pedals by running a cable from the send slot. After looping all my noisy pedals from the send, I close the loop by plugging a cable into the return slot. Then I just run a final cable from the output to the rest of my non-noisy pedals and then the amp.

picture for clarity

Homer you genius! This makes a lot more sense to me now I have seen a diagram.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Just got a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal. Sounds pretty cool but there's a little bit more compression/volume drop than I'd like. Any recommended mods?

And what's the ideal position in my chain? I've got guitar > fatboost > phase90 > TR-2 > overdrives > delay.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

CalvinDooglas posted:

Just got a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal. Sounds pretty cool but there's a little bit more compression/volume drop than I'd like. Any recommended mods?

And what's the ideal position in my chain? I've got guitar > fatboost > phase90 > TR-2 > overdrives > delay.

I know there's a mod for the TR2 that involves snipping one resistor that cures the volume drop. No soldering necessary.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

CalvinDooglas posted:

TR-2 last or before your delay. I never use the two effects in conjunction so it's not an issue for me. With the tremolo before your overdrives, of course, the volume modulation will cause modulation in the level of breakup which might be odd; it's not usually done.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I ended up paralleling a 22k resistor to the 10k R9 in the TR-2, taking the R9 resistance down to about 6.875k, which gets rid of the volume drop pretty well. The C4 mod that's so easy got mixed reviews since it apparently makes the pedal a little gainy. The overall sound doesn't seem affected by reducing the resistance of R9. Didn't even have to remove the original resistor, just made some room in by the posts and soldered the other resistor in with the old.

What I need to do next is put the whole thing in an MXR style metal case with a real footswitch. The Boss case just seems so flimsy and the switch itself is a little piece of plastic under the "hood". The pedal sounds good, but doesn't look like it was made for heavy use. I very much prefer the click of a real switch.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

CalvinDooglas posted:

What I need to do next is put the whole thing in an MXR style metal case with a real footswitch. The Boss case just seems so flimsy and the switch itself is a little piece of plastic under the "hood". The pedal sounds good, but doesn't look like it was made for heavy use. I very much prefer the click of a real switch.

Dude you're nuts. Boss pedals are widely known to be practically indestructible.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

dancehall posted:

Dude you're nuts. Boss pedals are widely known to be practically indestructible.

Oh yes. Long time ago, our roadie drove us into a pond at night, partially flooding the luggage compartment of our minibus. Went back the next day, salvaged the gear and put it out to dry in the sun first; expecting most of it would be hosed. Every single Boss pedal we had worked without any further treatment other than wiping some caked sludge off the casings. My Rickenbacker's case hadn't let in any water either, and a Pearl chorus worked too. Our various MXR pedals (containing batteries like the Boss) were dead.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I don't know if anyone knows this brand, but what's your opinion on Emma Electronic pedals? One of my friends say they are the best but I was wondering if anyone of you tried them and what you think.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

What do I know about Emma... Well, the reezafriasodtasdthl;k is a modified Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz (perhaps made famous by the fact that the Red Llama was an EXACT COPY of it, even down to the PCB transfer used in Anderton's publication) encased in a brick of epoxy that's actually quite visually impressive. That's a lot of money to pay for a modified version of a circuit that's been a DIY freebie for a really long time.

I have also seen whisperings that the discombobulator is a lot like an MXR pedal that, again, can be had for a lot less.

I dunno, seems kind of shady. I don't really like goopers who are gooping to hide unoriginality. And I really like people who put out original circuits and don't goop them. So they're kind of in the opposite quadrant compared to people whose products make me happy.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Comic Sans? No thanks!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

rt4 posted:

Comic Sans? No thanks!

I only buy pedals that use Tone Fonts on their enclosures :colbert:

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

CalvinDooglas posted:

Since "analog reverb" is a metal box with a spring in it, a pedal would be pretty impractical.

You can do analog reverb/delay with BBDs (Bucket Brigade Device).
Basically uses and incredibly huge line of capacitors in an integrated circuit to cause a delay in the signal. You just have to configure the circuit for either reverb/delay. It's not quite the same, but for the most part, it's far better than digital (although my Guyatone MD-3 would beg to differ).

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What are the two really big pedal modifiers out there? Keeley and who else? I've been thinking of getting my Metal Zone hopped up just so it's not a piece of utter garbage.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Stayne Falls posted:

What are the two really big pedal modifiers out there? Keeley and who else? I've been thinking of getting my Metal Zone hopped up just so it's not a piece of utter garbage.

After I got tired of seeing my stupid, piece of poo poo DOD American Metal around the house, I sent it to this guy (http://www.wix.com/palthegiraffe/index). He did a good job and actually made it usable, giving it what he called "2 1/2 distortion modes." Basically one is the normal DOD distortion, only less brittle and the others combine a cool shrill-sounding decay that can be likened to a sitar with/without a gain boost. This is more or less his specialty; turning poo poo effects into a little more usable poo poo effects.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Ireneo Funes posted:

After I got tired of seeing my stupid, piece of poo poo DOD American Metal around the house, I sent it to this guy (http://www.wix.com/palthegiraffe/index). He did a good job and actually made it usable, giving it what he called "2 1/2 distortion modes." Basically one is the normal DOD distortion, only less brittle and the others combine a cool shrill-sounding decay that can be likened to a sitar with/without a gain boost. This is more or less his specialty; turning poo poo effects into a little more usable poo poo effects.

How could you possibly get tired of looking at an FX box? It would be a different effect at 3pm then it would be at 330pm to you :p

(jk, thank you)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

40sTheme posted:

You can do analog reverb/delay with BBDs (Bucket Brigade Device).
Basically uses and incredibly huge line of capacitors in an integrated circuit to cause a delay in the signal. You just have to configure the circuit for either reverb/delay. It's not quite the same, but for the most part, it's far better than digital (although my Guyatone MD-3 would beg to differ).

Analog delay is definitely not analog reverb, though.

For what it's worth, you can get a pretty good Bucket-Brigade sound by low-pass filtering the echo feedback (since one of the main characteristics of BBDs is the attenuation of high frequency signals)

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

Hubis posted:

Analog delay is definitely not analog reverb, though.

For what it's worth, you can get a pretty good Bucket-Brigade sound by low-pass filtering the echo feedback (since one of the main characteristics of BBDs is the attenuation of high frequency signals)

I may be mistaken, but there have been pedals that use BBDs with low delay times to perform reverb. Just force a low range of very short delay times with high repeats.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

40sTheme posted:

I may be mistaken, but there have been pedals that use BBDs with low delay times to perform reverb. Just force a low range of very short delay times with high repeats.

Not very well, theyre just flangers with the modulation turned off. Its a pleasing analog sound but not really very good as reverb, as an effective reverb uses multiple delay lines. Theyll need to be very short, usually shorter than most BBDs suitable for delay use will go. Thus you see analog flange/reverb pedals. You can string a few in series for something closer to a conventional reverb, but that may add its own set of problems as each would add their own color and, often, noise to your signal.
Unless youre looking for a tank reverb sound (and only a tank reverb sound), digital is the best choice for reverb.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Another possibility is to intentionally use delay instead of reverb. A lot of the time delay sounds (and mixes, live or in the studio) better than reverb - a hint of delay, mix set low, feedback high enough to get some texture but not oscillating at all sounds really good and doesn't tend to kind of disperse and muddy up the sound the way that reverb can. Playing by yourself, delay into reverb sounds so damned good, so thick! And for intentionally textural recordings that's fine, too. Obviously. But consider non-reverb options if you don't really need reverb.

Shoegazers don't pay attention to the above, does not apply to you. Surf rockers either. And, yeah, digital reverb is definitely the way to go for a nice sound without hassle.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

Another possibility is to intentionally use delay instead of reverb.

this is what I do. You get a nice after-effect, but it doesn't obscure the sound as much as reverb. I use a Carbon Copy and it's rarely set past 10 o'clock on the Delay and Regen dials. Metronomic delay is a great way to cover up your own playing, so I rarely use it (although I hear some snobby subgenre players are into it). Reverb also sounds kind of goofy when you're playing live in a small room.

For delay I'd almost prefer the clean of a digital delay, and kinda wish I had one later in the chain for longer delays of the warmer slapback.

Underflow posted:

Oh yes. Long time ago, our roadie drove us into a pond at night, partially flooding the luggage compartment of our minibus. Went back the next day, salvaged the gear and put it out to dry in the sun first; expecting most of it would be hosed. Every single Boss pedal we had worked without any further treatment other than wiping some caked sludge off the casings. My Rickenbacker's case hadn't let in any water either, and a Pearl chorus worked too. Our various MXR pedals (containing batteries like the Boss) were dead.

It's really just the one one component that worries me. I'm wary of using plastic for parts that receive a lot of force. I'd be concerned about the lower contact point being damaged by a hard stomp, or the plastic becoming brittle over time. I think this was inspired when the switch had some trouble the first minute I was trying it out. I suspect it was actually an unused pedal, considering the screws were stiff and the Roland brand battery was still in plastic.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 23, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

It's really just the one one component that worries me. I'm wary of using plastic for parts that receive a lot of force

I was under the impression that the case took the load on any Boss pedal. I think the moving part of the pedal hits the case before it can overcompress that plastic part. I'll have to check when I get home.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

plester1 posted:

I was under the impression that the case took the load on any Boss pedal. I think the moving part of the pedal hits the case before it can overcompress that plastic part. I'll have to check when I get home.

I think this is right, stomping hard will just grind the lever pad into the case. The travel of the actuator that presses the switch is limited, I don't think it can apply any extra pressure if you push harder.

The popular 3pdt footswitches can definitely be damaged by excessive force or by pressing off-axis. I'm pretty sure there is an article online by one of Visual Sound techs, he said they have completely avoided returns with broken switches by moving to a momentary spring-loaded actuator pushing a small switch.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

CalvinDooglas posted:

It's really just the one one component that worries me. I'm wary of using plastic for parts that receive a lot of force. I'd be concerned about the lower contact point being damaged by a hard stomp, or the plastic becoming brittle over time. I think this was inspired when the switch had some trouble the first minute I was trying it out. I suspect it was actually an unused pedal, considering the screws were stiff and the Roland brand battery was still in plastic.

I can only say that one of my oldest working pedals is a Boss dating from ~1985. Got it from a guy who had a justified reputation of breaking just about everything, it survived 24 hours submerged in a pond without needing repairs, and it must have been enthusiastically stomped on about 100,000 times.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Are the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy delay pedals worth it? I'm looking at getting a delay pedal and I love EHX pedals, but I know that the Memory Man series is way too much stuff for me that I wouldn't even know what to do with. Also I don't have that much money.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Are the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy delay pedals worth it? I'm looking at getting a delay pedal and I love EHX pedals, but I know that the Memory Man series is way too much stuff for me that I wouldn't even know what to do with. Also I don't have that much money.

From what I hear, no. If I were you I'd look into either the MXR Carbon Copy (for a simple nice-sounding analog delay) or Boss DD-7 (for lots of features and still very nice sound) depending on your needs.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I love my Memory Boy, and wouldn't bother saving a few bucks on the MT. The delay sound is nice, feedback is fun, and even though I didn't think I would use the modulation features (didn't really understand how to use them honestly) they add a cool element to the sound. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Carbon copy is a lot darker than the memory toy if that matters.

Ibanez DE7 is really good if youdont need modulation.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress supposed to be so quiet?
I've just acquired one (reissue, not vintage) and there's a significant volume drop when it's engaged. It also doesn't sound as awesome as my MXR Flanger.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chalupa Joe posted:

Is the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress supposed to be so quiet?
I've just acquired one (reissue, not vintage) and there's a significant volume drop when it's engaged. It also doesn't sound as awesome as my MXR Flanger.

The volume drop is a known issue. There's ways to mod it to get rid of the volume drop but I haven't tried any. I know there's a dude you can send yours to to get the volume drop mod and a couple other mods done, but I forget his name.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Problem is, they're in the USA, and I'm not...

It looks like a clean boost on the output is the solution, which is a pretty simple circuit, there's certainly more than enough space inside the box to build one in.

Edit: The pedal was actually broken. For reasons unknown, the ground wire from the effect board wasn't there at all, so it was grounded (poorly) through the pots/jacks. I put in some proper grounding, and it's all good now.

The output is still pretty noisy, but it appears to be intrinsic to the delay chip used (the MXR Micro Chorus uses the same chip, and has a similar reputation), though replacing the 4558 op-amp with TL072 (or similar low noise op-amp) is said to help.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 16, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just put up an ad looking for a guitarist with a demo on it, a guy liked it so much he decided to email me every excruciating detail of his pedalboard.

quote:

Hi,
Solar draft sounds so my style. I have turned my eyes recently on heavily down-tuned fuzz-synth kind of tone like QOSA, White Stripes, The hives, Muse etc. Before, for a long time I have been a fan of Satriani and GNR, velvet revolver metallica type of things. However, I decided to get into the synth side of guitar as Electro harmonix came up with some excellent guitar synth pedal. I like gears a lot. But I like the idea of how jack white goes on making sound out of non-conventional piece of gear. Or josh Homme use bass cabs for those downtuned stuff. Would love to sit down with you guys and talk about the gears you guys used to get the sound in solar draft. I am guseeing Big muff with downtuned guitar .My recent rig rundown is :

Bc rich Guitar neck through floyd rose emg 81-60
Jsx Mini colossal amp
MXR dyna comp.
Morley Bad horsie wah
EHX Big muff with tone wicker
EHX HOG With expression pedal (this baby can dial out a lot of synth sound of a guitar. I use for downtuning my guitar. As this is polyphonic, it can track pretty loving well.)
EHX hum debugger (for cancelling the noise or hiss)
EHX zipper (for crazy Matthew Bellamy like squeels. I use this instead of the fuzz factory for squeels)
Vox Saturator
Vox Time machine delay
Boss RC 20 XL for looping.

My number is x. Call me up if are interested.

Kaiyes

I just, what? All those words and not one mention of how he plays guitar? Is he applying to be guitarist or does he ust really like listing off his pedals?

Also he's dead wrong because the whole song is marshall amp sims.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 17, 2010

Uncle Phil
Nov 1, 2010
Dearest Dears,

I have been playing bass for a good number of years and have a decent rig. I am woefully inadequate when it comes to effects. Currently I have 1 Boss Bass overdrive, 1 Boss SYB-5 Bass Sytnth I got used yesterday (so far it's total poo poo) and 1 RAT pedal, and access to a big muff and metal muff pedal.

What I am asking here is what are the basics I need, what do those of you in the know recommend as far as reverb, mean distortion (the overdrive tends to be on quite a bit, need a second or even third distortion to really kick it up live), delay, bass synth and really anything else cool you can think of for bass. I really want to expand my sounds here.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Phil posted:

Dearest Dears,

I have been playing bass for a good number of years and have a decent rig. I am woefully inadequate when it comes to effects. Currently I have 1 Boss Bass overdrive, 1 Boss SYB-5 Bass Sytnth I got used yesterday (so far it's total poo poo) and 1 RAT pedal, and access to a big muff and metal muff pedal.

What I am asking here is what are the basics I need, what do those of you in the know recommend as far as reverb, mean distortion (the overdrive tends to be on quite a bit, need a second or even third distortion to really kick it up live), delay, bass synth and really anything else cool you can think of for bass. I really want to expand my sounds here.

My pedal-board is what I consider to be a good "Bassist Survival Kit." It's a little more tailored to funk, but everything in it is useful for pretty much any style of music:

So I've got:
1. Ocatver (MXR Bass Octave Deluxe)
2. Envelope Filter (EHX Enigma)
3. Limiter/Compressor (BOSS LMB-3)
4. Synth (BOSS SYB-3)
5. Vibrato/Tremolo (EHX Wiggler, not always useful for bass, but fun for experimenting)
6. Preamp/Overdrive (Tech 21 VT Bass)
7. Direct In box

In my opinion, that's pretty much everything you need for most situations, except for maybe a good delay pedal.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Scarf posted:

THE FONK

In addition to that:

Basics: Superfuzz and/or EH Russian Big Muff, EH Bass Microsynth, MXR Flanger.
I've heard that the MXR Distortion+ sounds good on bass

Reverb: what?

Extras: Digitech Whammy, a Wah of some description, can't say I recommend the Crybaby 105Q Bass, though the 535Q sounds pretty good on its lower settings. The Ibanez Weeping Demon isn't too bad either, and is a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scarf posted:

My pedal-board

Tell me about your oak pedal board holding everything together

edit: serious post