Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Or you can try feeding him some lovely, delicious Kleenmama 3rd cut timothy. I'm just saying. :3:

well yes, this too. I give mine hay and the papaya pills. After reading all these posts the next bunch of hay might be Kleenmama though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

Try feeding him papaya enzyme pills. You can get them at the drugstore... they're a digestive aid. Paterson eats his fur too but it essentially breaks it down so it's not a big deal. Also, they loooove them because they think that they're treats. They are really yummy.

God I wonder what those are called in Dutch. I really should get them and do anything to stop it from happening this often.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

God I wonder what those are called in Dutch. I really should get them and do anything to stop it from happening this often.

I buy generic ones from the health food store but you can maybe order them online if they will ship overseas. If not I'll send you some in the mail because I have been where you are with Paterson before and they are really cheap considering the vet bills and stress that comes with GI.

Do you guys have baby Oval, too? I'll send you some of that. It's totally worth it. Every time that I would even THINK that Paterson might have a sore tummy I would give him some and it would clear it right up. I think the majority of his problems are going away now because it's colder out so he's not shedding as much.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

UGH

My stupid rabbit bit the tip off of a plastic (needleless) syringe as I was I giving him oral antibiotics. I tried to get it out of his mouth and had zero success. He just get grinding away, getting more and more pissed off at me.

Please tell me my stupid rabbit is not going to die.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Foaming Chicken posted:

UGH

My stupid rabbit bit the tip off of a plastic (needleless) syringe as I was I giving him oral antibiotics. I tried to get it out of his mouth and had zero success. He just get grinding away, getting more and more pissed off at me.

Please tell me my stupid rabbit is not going to die.

Ha! I'm actually amazed this never happened with Bowser or my foster buns. He'll probably be fine. Just watch his eating and pooping and if there's any change, take him to the vet.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

My rabbits have eaten plastic before, among other random unsafe items. Given their propensity for chewing, I'd imagine your bun will be just fine like Melicious said, and monitor for any changes. It just shows that even when you're watching them, they do stupid things.

Off topic, if there is anyone in the greater Milwaukee/Waukesha area that uses Yesterdays News and wants an open, barely used bag of it, let me know. I can't stand it and bought it in a moment of weakness(completely out of litter) before I found an early stock of wood pellets.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Thank you so much for the quick replies!
I've calmed down a bit after googling. I've given him some Petromalt and I'm going to watch his food intake and litter box closely over the next few days. And try to stuff him with hay.

"hello I am here to eat everything bad for me"

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Foaming Chicken posted:

Haha you must be acquainted with my rabbit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

yep, Paterson has done that before, too. I was more worried that it would hurt his gums or something. He was fine... after that he didn't do it again, though. I think he really started to enjoy his medicine after - just not the being handled part.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

I buy generic ones from the health food store but you can maybe order them online if they will ship overseas. If not I'll send you some in the mail because I have been where you are with Paterson before and they are really cheap considering the vet bills and stress that comes with GI.

Do you guys have baby Oval, too? I'll send you some of that. It's totally worth it. Every time that I would even THINK that Paterson might have a sore tummy I would give him some and it would clear it right up. I think the majority of his problems are going away now because it's colder out so he's not shedding as much.

Mailing things to the Netherlands would be ridiculously expensive but thanks for offering. :)

I got something from the health food store around here. The ingredients don't list anything that I think is bad for a rabbit, it lists papaya twice so that's got to be good right. It mentions enzymes and stuff so I think it's the stuff I want.

Oh and he's been eating greens so that's a bit of a relief. Although he hasn't pooped yet...

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Mailing things to the Netherlands would be ridiculously expensive but thanks for offering. :)

I got something from the health food store around here. The ingredients don't list anything that I think is bad for a rabbit, it lists papaya twice so that's got to be good right. It mentions enzymes and stuff so I think it's the stuff I want.

Oh and he's been eating greens so that's a bit of a relief. Although he hasn't pooped yet...

do you have Critical Care? I also give Paterson a syringe full of lukewarm water after I give him his milkshake (CC). Keep a close eye... I've been there many times before and am really hoping for the best.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

He's quite active, walking around the room, cleaning the paraffin off his greasy face, eating the occasional green. Probably good signs but I don't think he's pooping at all and he seems to be in pain still :(

Plus he's not eating the papaya pill :mad:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

He's quite active, walking around the room, cleaning the paraffin off his greasy face, eating the occasional green. Probably good signs but I don't think he's pooping at all and he seems to be in pain still :(

Plus he's not eating the papaya pill :mad:

give him baby oval. Take him to the vet! Please do those things. I know it might be expensive but please tell your vet that and take him in. Even if they only give him a pain killer.

Baby Oval Baby Oval Baby Oval!!!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

give him baby oval. Take him to the vet! Please do those things. I know it might be expensive but please tell your vet that and take him in. Even if they only give him a pain killer.

Baby Oval Baby Oval Baby Oval!!!

Aw I've taken him to the vet don't worry. And if he's not pooping tomorrow I'm going to look at getting him to the vet again.

Right now he's angrily eating some pellets so I'm thinking he might poop soon. He's sitting in his litterbox looking like he's waiting for something. Fingers crossed!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Aw I've taken him to the vet don't worry. And if he's not pooping tomorrow I'm going to look at getting him to the vet again.

Right now he's angrily eating some pellets so I'm thinking he might poop soon. He's sitting in his litterbox looking like he's waiting for something. Fingers crossed!

yay! I always clean the litterbox for them so it's nice and clean and I can monitor it perfectly when they're not feeling well. Aww bunny love. Something will come out. I can feel it!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Foaming Chicken posted:

You know those "do not eat" packets?

Yeah, they're Camille's favorite.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bean posted:

You know those "do not eat" packets?

Yeah, they're Camille's favorite.

All I know is that the contents taste salty.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Silica gel. It's actually not toxic, but it can irritate the digestive tract, and of course it absorbs a lot of liquid and increases in mass, so that can be dangerous.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I caved and took him to the e-vet today, really didn't tell me a whole lot more than he's going to have to pass the blockage by himself and that it could take a few days.

They gave him a painkiller at least :/

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

I caved and took him to the e-vet today, really didn't tell me a whole lot more than he's going to have to pass the blockage by himself and that it could take a few days.

They gave him a painkiller at least :/

Our vet gave us a prescription for metoclopramide for when Cilantro starts with the GI stasis. It's a prokinetic agent that helps move things through the digestive tract. We give her 1mL with a small feeder syringe. Maybe your vet/e-vet could prescribe or provide some?

It's a liquid that we keep in the fridge and only use it when she's showing signs of GI stasis (laying in her litter box is a big sign, as well as not being 100% enthusiastic over greens/pellets).

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I have some of that stuff too, although I'm not entirely sure it's a stasis thing so much as a constipation thing. Or is that the same thing? At least he's eating hay.

It's also possible I blew 65 euros for no reason today but I do feel better for having at least taken him there.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lewis is still doing well

Until I tried to use the opportunity of feeding him antibiotics to untangle some mats

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 18, 2010

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I love the bun-themed emoticons you're whipping up!

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Has anyone's bun had a blocked lacrimal duct? Butters' eye was all goopy so we brought him to the vet and she said that a blocked lacrimal duct is to blame (bunnies have a zigzag lacrimal duct, so if a bit of dust gets in there, it can get stuck). She flushed the duct and gave us antibiotic eye drops (administering eye drops to a flemish giant is tricky as hell...I got the dropper bottle punched out of my hand this morning).

Also, the ear on the same side as the drippy eye is drooped. The vet couldn't find any reason for the drooping...I suppose it's due to stress/pain?

Other than that, he seems to be fine. Just uncomfortable and grumpy, which is to be expected.

Oh, and is it normal for a bun to go all quiet and still after messing with them? After I got the drop in and cleaned the fur around his eye, he went into bunny loaf position and closed his eyes. It made me nervous so I forced him to get up and hop and he was back to normal.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Pig Boots posted:

Oh, and is it normal for a bun to go all quiet and still after messing with them? After I got the drop in and cleaned the fur around his eye, he went into bunny loaf position and closed his eyes. It made me nervous so I forced him to get up and hop and he was back to normal.

I don't have experience with the lacrimal duct specifically, but after Murphy was having issues with the left side of his face I had to administer eye drops three times a day, ear drops twice a day AND oral meds twice a day. (Turned out to be nerve damage, probably from a stroke)

The ear drops were terrible and he'd thrash right out of the burrito. However, after the first couple of times, Murphy didn't mind the eye drops at all(he couldn't blink so it probably felt good). He would sit calmly, and I could just hold him in one arm and put the drops in with my free hand. Only on a few occasions would he spazz out over eye drops.

Debbie is completely the opposite. While Murphy was good with most medications, Debbie will fight like hell to avoid them.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

Murphy

Poor Murph :( He was lucky to have been loved by you!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 19, 2010

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Ladies and gentlemen... :woop: :toot: :woop: we have poop! :woop: :toot: :woop:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Ladies and gentlemen... :woop: :toot: :woop: we have poop! :woop: :toot: :woop:

POOP THERE IT IS!

so excited for you guys!!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

Poor Murph :( He was lucky to have been loved by you!

Yeah, he was my little buddy. He lived for a good year longer than the vet thought he would, and he never seemed put out by his tiny little "Elvis sneer" face.

Good to hear DS! Only pet lovers can get that excited over poop ;)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
My Fiancee and I just got our first Rabbit on Sunday. He is a 9.5lb Rex rabbit named Marcus and we love him! :3

He was originally an outdoor/hutch Rabbit, but was given up after the owners could no longer care for him. He went to Safe Haven Rabbit Rescue here in NJ, and then we took him in. He is litterbox trained, neutered, and up to date on all medical checkups. We have turned out spare bedroom into his own room now. We used a 42" high playpen and arced it around the room, he seems to be very happy with that. I used a pine storage box from Michaels that I carved some doors in to as a place for him to hide and he loves it. We put some cardboard around his pen and he likes to chew on it from time to time, as well as the newspaper he has inside of his little hut.

His current diet is Oxbow Bunny Basics Timothy Pellets, Oxbow Timothy hay, we prepare his salad in the morning and at dinner time (two cups of greens with some cilantro and a small slice of banana) and he clears his plate. He is such a good eater and he absolutely loves those GNC Papaya things at night. He eats them right out of our hand.

One thing I've noticed is that the Oxbow hay is VERY dusty and gives us sneeze attacks and sniffles if we spend too much time handling it. I'm going to start keeping it outside in a covered bin until we need it. Any thoughts on switching him over to that Kleenmama's 2nd/3rd cut timothy hay? Is it less dusty/full of pollen? Safe Haven also brought us some locally grown hay he likes but I will have to inspect it before I give it to him. Another question, we have his hay inside of his litterbox on the other end of it, you can kind of see it in the picture. Safe Haven said this is okay because he will not eat his poop or pee, and that this is a good set up because they poop when they eat anyway. I've seen him do this several times and it seems like if I put the hay in a different bin, he'd just poop in it anyway. Your thoughts? It seems to be working out just fine.

Sorry for the short story, we're just very excited about this and want to be good rabbit owners! Any thoughts/concerns on how I've set up his pen or the stuff he is currently eating?

edit: 9lb rabbits make big poop. Good lord.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 20, 2010

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

get out posted:

My Fiancee and I just got our first Rabbit on Sunday. He is a 9.5lb Rex rabbit named Marcus and we love him! :3

He was originally an outdoor/hutch Rabbit, but was given up after the owners could no longer care for him. He went to Safe Haven Rabbit Rescue here in NJ, and then we took him in. He is litterbox trained, neutered, and up to date on all medical checkups. We have turned out spare bedroom into his own room now. We used a 42" high playpen and arced it around the room, he seems to be very happy with that. I used a pine storage box from Michaels that I carved some doors in to as a place for him to hide and he loves it. We put some cardboard around his pen and he likes to chew on it from time to time, as well as the newspaper he has inside of his little hut.

His current diet is Oxbow Bunny Basics Timothy Pellets, Oxbow Timothy hay, we prepare his salad in the morning and at dinner time (two cups of greens with some cilantro and a small slice of banana) and he clears his plate. He is such a good eater and he absolutely loves those GNC Papaya things at night. He eats them right out of our hand.

One thing I've noticed is that the Oxbow hay is VERY dusty and gives us sneeze attacks and sniffles if we spend too much time handling it. I'm going to start keeping it outside in a covered bin until we need it. Any thoughts on switching him over to that Kleenmama's 2nd/3rd cut timothy hay? Is it less dusty/full of pollen? Safe Haven also brought us some locally grown hay he likes but I will have to inspect it before I give it to him. Another question, we have his hay inside of his litterbox on the other end of it, you can kind of see it in the picture. Safe Haven said this is okay because he will not eat his poop or pee, and that this is a good set up because they poop when they eat anyway. I've seen him do this several times and it seems like if I put the hay in a different bin, he'd just poop in it anyway. Your thoughts? It seems to be working out just fine.

Sorry for the short story, we're just very excited about this and want to be good rabbit owners! Any thoughts/concerns on how I've set up his pen or the stuff he is currently eating?

edit: 9lb rabbits make big poop. Good lord.

He's pretty cute, congrats on the new guy. I buy my hay locally so I can't help you with those questions :)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

get out posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the Oxbow hay is VERY dusty and gives us sneeze attacks and sniffles if we spend too much time handling it. I'm going to start keeping it outside in a covered bin until we need it. Any thoughts on switching him over to that Kleenmama's 2nd/3rd cut timothy hay? Is it less dusty/full of pollen?

Yes, I find KM's to be much less dusty. The 2nd cut or bluegrass are going to be best right now. However, she's been having trouble getting hay this year so you're probably going to have to rely on Oxbow/local stuff at some point, unless you buy a ton and hoard it.

get out posted:

Another question, we have his hay inside of his litterbox on the other end of it, you can kind of see it in the picture. Safe Haven said this is okay because he will not eat his poop or pee, and that this is a good set up because they poop when they eat anyway. I've seen him do this several times and it seems like if I put the hay in a different bin, he'd just poop in it anyway. Your thoughts? It seems to be working out just fine.

Yes again. Hay in the litter box is the best setup. I also typically offer hay in a manger hanging above the litterbox, because some of my guys are fussy about hay that's been near pee.

Nice set up and a lovely bun you've adopted there!

Apropos of nothing, I have a bun at the vet being diagnosed for head tilt. This should be fun.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. He still seems very skittish, but I guess that is to be expected until he adjusts to his surroundings. I changed his litterbox out completely today. Dumped it all out, put fresh litter in and fresh hay. I put it back down and came to check on him later and there was some urine on the ground next to the litterbox. Is this a protest? He was supposed to be trained so I'm hoping we don't have any issues. Was I not supposed to change all of the litter or something?

Edit: He has not made a poop since I changed his litterbox. I'm getting worried. :(

Double edit: He pooped! What a relief!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 21, 2010

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

alucinor posted:

Apropos of nothing, I have a bun at the vet being diagnosed for head tilt. This should be fun.

Hooo boy. Good luck.

Our experience with E Cuniculi and our foster bunny ended up being pretty easy with no lingering symptoms... hope yours goes as well.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Okay now he's doing his best to eat the wall. What the hell is wrong with this animal.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DS at Night posted:

Okay now he's doing his best to eat the wall. What the hell is wrong with this animal.

They are constantly hungry, every that can fit in their mouths can and Will be eaten!

TALKTOMEGOOSE
Jun 15, 2009
The local Ohio House Bunny Association has a slogan, "hop till you flop".

As much as people have said their bunnies hate hardwood, mine seem to love it. They will sit on the area rug, but most of their time is spent on hardwood. The only problem is the gray one, Mervin, is a bit skittish since he has cataracts, and skids out constantly. Completely adorable, though.
(edit: these bunnies are actually my girlfriends, and I think she might have posted about them before.)

get out posted:

Was I not supposed to change all of the litter or something?

IIRC, leave some of the used litter in there so he knows that is where it goes. Eventually he will get used to it, and wont really miss. Although get used to finding little poos everywhere. :)

TALKTOMEGOOSE fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 21, 2010

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

DS at Night posted:

Rodent Mortician posted:

I've prepared a handy chart which may help.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Ain't it the truth. I've run out of emoticons to make because I'm pretty sure my rabbit only feels haughty contentment and impotent bunny rage. Well, and :siren:FEAR:siren: when I touch a plastic bag a room away.

alucinor posted:

Yes again. Hay in the litter box is the best setup. I also typically offer hay in a manger hanging above the litterbox, because some of my guys are fussy about hay that's been near pee.

I used to have a set-up like this when Lewis still lived in a wire cage. Now he has solid walls, but the walls of his litter box are too thick to fit his old manger. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for an improvised one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Foaming Chicken posted:

I used to have a set-up like this when Lewis still lived in a wire cage. Now he has solid walls, but the walls of his litter box are too thick to fit his old manger. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for an improvised one?

I use closetmaid wire kitchen accessories to hold hay; three sizes depending how much extra hay I need to provide:
Small: Medium: (rotate 90 degrees so the opening is up) Large:

The small setup ends up looking like this: You'll have to poke a couple holes in the edge of the litterbox to hold the hooks.

The medium setup, those shelf bars fit completely over the edge of most any litterbox. The downside of this one is that the back is totally open, so sometimes I use a grid behind it.

The large setup requires that I zip tie the wire thing to a grid, then zip that grid to another grid at the top, making an inverted V, which then hooks nicely over the back of the box. I'll try to get some pictures of that this weekend.

Head tilt update: Bloodwork is normal. Sent off an EC titer (he's been exposed with 100% certainty so it ain't gonna tell us anything but it's only $7), are treating preemptively for both EC (with panacure) and an ear infection (with baytril). He's got an antinausea med (meclizine) if needed, despite no evidence of nystagmus, and is on an NSAID (metacam) to reduce any swelling and for comfort. He took critical care and fluids quite easily last nite, and ate added about 10g of weight by eating most of his veggies overnight.

This is the little bastard:

I AM TOO ANGRY TO BE CUTE.