Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

Did he not warn the other player?

Nope. He was a pretty lovely ref, made some terrible calls on both sides. Apparently didn't know that shoulder-to-shoulder contact is permissible, either.

Fake edit: We won 4-1 so can't complain, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Did something I can't figure out to my groin yesterday. I felt it tweak when I fell awkwardly at the end of the first half but I played the whole second half on it and biked 10 miles when I got home with no real issue. Cut to about three hours later and I can't walk. An hour after that I have a little pain but am mostly mobile. A little later, so much pain I can't walk and any effort to walk had me out of breath and sweating profusely. Today it's been more of the same. I'm in almost no pain, just a vague ache, when sitting but walking is incredibly difficult. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but does anyone have any idea what's going on with my delicate yet manly groin?

I'm thinking either pull, tear, or some kind of nerve issue which contributes to the intermittent pain.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Shrapnac posted:

Did something I can't figure out to my groin yesterday. I felt it tweak when I fell awkwardly at the end of the first half but I played the whole second half on it and biked 10 miles when I got home with no real issue. Cut to about three hours later and I can't walk. An hour after that I have a little pain but am mostly mobile. A little later, so much pain I can't walk and any effort to walk had me out of breath and sweating profusely. Today it's been more of the same. I'm in almost no pain, just a vague ache, when sitting but walking is incredibly difficult. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but does anyone have any idea what's going on with my delicate yet manly groin?

I'm thinking either pull, tear, or some kind of nerve issue which contributes to the intermittent pain.

Dunno, I think I had the same thing. I did no running for two weeks and it cleared up, so hopefully it ain't serious.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Welp. Just got "volunteered" to play for a staff soccer team in a once-off game for charity next week (9 days from now). Unfortunately, the last time I played soccer was 2-3 years ago and I've been a desk commando ever since then (and even when I played soccer, my fitness was poo poo). Do I bother doing sprints and whatnot to try and get back into some form of shape, or since it's only a week away just make sure I warm up properly on the day of the game and accept the fact I'm going to be a useless wreck for the game and for 2-3 days afterward?

It's not a competitive game, I just want to make sure I'm not the worst on the pitch and don't accidentally crock myself.

Random side note, I dug my soccer kit from the bottom of the cupboard fully expecting it to smell like death, but it was 100% odourless. :wth: Guess putting it right next to a giant bin of Damp-Rid helped.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Thel posted:

Welp. Just got "volunteered" to play for a staff soccer team in a once-off game for charity next week (9 days from now). Unfortunately, the last time I played soccer was 2-3 years ago and I've been a desk commando ever since then (and even when I played soccer, my fitness was poo poo). Do I bother doing sprints and whatnot to try and get back into some form of shape, or since it's only a week away just make sure I warm up properly on the day of the game and accept the fact I'm going to be a useless wreck for the game and for 2-3 days afterward?

It's not a competitive game, I just want to make sure I'm not the worst on the pitch and don't accidentally crock myself.

Random side note, I dug my soccer kit from the bottom of the cupboard fully expecting it to smell like death, but it was 100% odourless. :wth: Guess putting it right next to a giant bin of Damp-Rid helped.
Sprints a few days, just leave 2-3 days to recover by gametime. Since you're so out of shape it'll make a HUGE difference. Just reminds your body "oh, THAT'S how I'm supposed to work".

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
If anything, just taking a ball to a field, kicking it around and just running for an hour or two will do wonders for getting the touch back.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alctel posted:

Dunno, I think I had the same thing. I did no running for two weeks and it cleared up, so hopefully it ain't serious.

Went to the doctor, he did something to my leg and I felt a pop and instantly got 80% of the mobility back in my leg. Still sore as poo poo but I can at least walk around again. Gonna take a week or two off and see what happens. Totally bizarre.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
I got into some bullshit last Monday. Was playing a fun little pick-up game at Santa Monica Airport field and everything was going great. We were scoring point like it was going out of style. I was playing CB and keeping fools at bay. I'm 6'3" and 210 and most of the guys are small Hispanic dudes around 5'7".

Anyway, it ends up being a tie when I move forward to play CAM. I pull back to CB again and one of the guys plays a long ball to the guy I'm marking. He tries to push me off and I come back in, put my foot on the ball and pull it back but as I'm doing it he puts his leg in front of mine. I slip back and fall but my leg is extended from trying to pull the ball back and it looks like I was trying to slide in on him. Long story short, he calls me a loving cheat and I need to learn how not to slide, when clearly everyone on his team agreed that I fell because the field was wet and he put his leg on mine. Tries to get a penalty kick and I just tell him to gently caress off and he leaves the field.

Am I douche? :smith:

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Kiros posted:

:goonsay:

no it's just pick up football. someone trying to take a penalty in a pickup game is loving hilarious though.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

Kiros posted:

Nah he's just a whiny oval office. There's plenty of people like that. Everyone else is cheating, something is wrong with the ball, why won't anyone pass the ball, etc. Don't let it get to you. Maybe don't play with him anymore if it bothers you, it leads to blows eventually.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dear Sergio posted:

someone trying to take a penalty in a pickup game is loving hilarious though.

yeah this. in normal 7 a side or whatever without refs we never do freekicks or penalties. maybe once every few weeks there'll be a free kick for a really obvious foul where everyone on the pitch just instantly agrees.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

we play 7 a side and we don't have refs. we focus much more on a technical game anyway so there's no sliding tackles allowed and no hard physical play. if there's an obvious foul we just do a quick free kick or something to get on with playing again.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Finally got on the sheet today and my team went to 3-0-0. Hooray!

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Welp, won 8-3 - I somehow got credited with two goals despite only scoring one :iiam:.

(I think it's the first-ever goal I've scored with my left foot, too.)

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Played again this weekend with a different team which was full of Turkish guys, we played against a team full of Serbian guys. It was kind of odd being on the pitch and speaking neither language while the two teams yelled in Turkish and Serbian.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Tiger Crazy posted:

Played again this weekend with a different team which was full of Turkish guys, we played against a team full of Serbian guys. It was kind of odd being on the pitch and speaking neither language while the two teams yelled in Turkish and Serbian.

For about 3 years I used to play on a Chinese team as the token white guy. Great team and a lot of very talented feisty players. They would speak in Cantonese on the field.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

calcio posted:

For about 3 years I used to play on a Chinese team as the token white guy. Great team and a lot of very talented feisty players. They would speak in Cantonese on the field.

I play with Koreans weekly and man, these kids are something else. They all wear Hello Kitty boots and poo poo but they're an amazing team to watch. Quick creative passes, fast motherfuckers and feisty like you said.

Always happy though, that's what's the most interesting about them.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
My co-ed team I've been playing with for about 6 years always has one Japanese guy. Somehow when we started out we got a guy on the team who was going to college here and ever since we've always had one who was a friend of the original or a few friends removed. Every single one of them has played exactly the same and had the same behavior. Very polite and friendly awesome guys. And they all were a little smaller in size but had the ball control ball sticks to their feet and can get out of a triple team small spaces.

I finally broke down and got a new pair of cleats and for the first time in a million years they aren't predators. Picked up a pair of black Adipure III and absolutely love them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

calcio posted:

I played for a Guatemalan team one summer. poo poo was hilarious. They'd be jabbering on in Spanish, using infantile Spanish when talking to me, and then if I misplaced a pass or screwed up it'd be "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING, SHRAPNAC?" in perfect, nearly unaccented English. Those guys were a trip.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Funniest thing about the guys I play with is a dude who looks like Kevin Conley. He's short, loving unbelievably fast.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
We played only our second league game yesterday due to cup matches and games being abandoned. For some reason, Marc Albrighton was watching our game and I was playing right midfield. It was probably the most nervous I've ever been on a football pitch. We won pretty comfortably 2-1 in the end, giving them a stupid penalty in the last few minutes and remain unbeaten in the league! In two games...

Our current league:
http://full-time.thefa.com/ProcessP...dLeague=1369049

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

mikewozere posted:

We played only our second league game yesterday due to cup matches and games being abandoned. For some reason, Marc Albrighton was watching our game and I was playing right midfield. It was probably the most nervous I've ever been on a football pitch. We won pretty comfortably 2-1 in the end, giving them a stupid penalty in the last few minutes and remain unbeaten in the league! In two games...

Isn't he from that area, maybe he used to play at the field when he was younger and just had nostalgia.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Yeah he is from Tamworth. Apparently he knew the opponent's striker or something. I guess with there being no premier league fixtures he just thought he'd come down.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
This week in my two teams:

Regular football - After the week-long break we had to take for an uneven amount of teams in the league, we played a team which was near to the bottom with 1 point in 3 games (we having 4 in 2). I was loving livid because the coach wouldn't start me (last year's league topscorer) without even giving me a reason. Anyway a balanced first half sees one goal per team, and after the break i'm on the field and within 10 minutes score a beautiful goal getting the ball on the left, winning a tackle, dribbling a defender while cutting inside the area and unleashing a right-footed shot right under the bar. At this point i don't even celebrate because gently caress if i understand why i didn't start. Then one of our guys and one of the opponents get sent off because they are about to kick the crap out of each other. At this point we are playing really well and i've got a lot of space to run so we create 3-4 clear-cut chances which we manage to waste. Then right at the end, one of them bastards scores with a 25-yard screamer right into the top corner. Oh, and another one of our guys gets a second yellow and gets sent off, too.
2-2 and two points thrown away, and 5 points in 3 games. At least, we're still unbeaten.

5-a-side - My team being third and having 4 won games and drawn 1, play against a lower midtable team. Long story short after a tricky first half ended 5-3 for us, we steamroll over them for a final score of 15-5. Me bagging 7 goals even if i played a pretty lovely game overall (most of the goals were tap-ins).
Next week it's against the second team in the league, come over and get some you bastards.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Welp. My "stellar performance as a playmaker" last week (what game were they watching? I'd like to see that) has got me an invite to a regular five-a-side team.

At the bottom of the social league with a 1-13 record.

Yeeeeeaaah.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Southern Ontario based football playing goons, need a slighty out of shape defensive minded player? I haven't played in five years and would love to get back into a league, probably will try to get into a pub league around here come Spring.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Just got back from playing, and I have a huge welt on the top of my shin. I was trying to play an attacker along the back line and force him to go out, but he tried to chip the ball over me and ran right in to my shin with his knee when he started to chase it. I had to sit out for a few minutes, but I played the rest of the game. In retrospect I probably should have just iced it right away; Im gonna have a nasty bruise in the morning.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dragon Jones posted:

Southern Ontario based football playing goons, need a slighty out of shape defensive minded player? I haven't played in five years and would love to get back into a league, probably will try to get into a pub league around here come Spring.

You live in Ottawa?

There are a few really great football leagues now running here, http://www.ottawafootysevens.com/ is probably the best one

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Brantford, but thanks for the link. I'm sure there are a couple of decent Hamilton or Kitchener based leagues.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I play on a co-ed team. We have to have at least 3 girls on the pitch (court? cause its indoor soccer...) at a time. Well tonight I was one of only 2 girls who showed up.

I have serious newfound respect for people who can play full matches. I am puffed.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

I play on a co-ed team. We have to have at least 3 girls on the pitch (court? cause its indoor soccer...) at a time. Well tonight I was one of only 2 girls who showed up.

I have serious newfound respect for people who can play full matches. I am puffed.

My secret to surviving a whole match without having my lungs explode on the pitch is to hang around the center mark, and put through balls forward for *other* people to have lung explosions while chasing.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

(Does it count as a double post if it's more than a day apart? :ohdear:)

Had my first game for the social team I mentioned earlier - played like poo poo in outfield, was the direct cause of one goal against etc. Went into goal for the latter part of the second half, and what a change. Four clear one-on-ones, I stopped three of them, along with ~5 shots from broken play. (Dived out of the way of the last one-on-one. :doh: Straight down the middle along the ground ... boy did I want that one back.)

Anyway, as a direct consequence of that last dive, my hip is bruised to gently caress (and my left knee looks like someone took a sanding block and tried to round the edges a bit more, but what's a bit of blood for the cause?).

Can anyone recommend a pair of padded goalie shorts that won't get shredded to poo poo by artificial turf? Preferably from a vendor that will ship to NZ without breaking the bank. I can get Umbro pants here for $69.95 NZ, which equates to ~$50 US. Can't find Nike pants anywhere, Lotto Crash pants are $60 but look useless. The other option, if I wanted to go overkill, is a hockey girdle. That might be a bit over the top though.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

(goalie pants stuff)

Triple posting for great victory. I've been asking around every sports shop worth a drat in new zealand (hint: it's a short list) and they all say "nope sorry, wrong time of year. Try again in April". So I figure my only shot now is to import from the UK. Can someone recommend me a good site? Just took the plunge and ordered pants + underarmor boxers + two pair of cheapo gloves from http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/ - hope they're not about to clean up my mastercard :ohdear: Site looks pretty legit though.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Ahh, another victim of the pro-direct soccer scam. We can all learn something here.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Thel posted:

goalie pants
i was having having issues with my knees getting cut/bruised and my hips getting bruised, so i invested in these. http://www.teamkitsforeyou.co.uk/products/joma-goalkeeper-long-pants

i've been playing in these for about 4 months now, and they're great. they're made from a very light material, and the padding is just enough to keep from getting sore from all those dives! the right knee on my pair is a little tore up because that's the knee i go down on to scoop up balls. after countless practices and matches, they're holding up very nicely. highly recommended! i got mine from the local shop for about $30 USD.

i really like joma's stuff. it's cheap and the quality is always top notch. why pay more for nike/adidas?

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Umbriago posted:

Never mind the astroturf, it feels like he's resculpted my tibia! I should've told the ref, really. The problem with playing in Wigan is that a lot of the lads are rugby players who play football for a laugh, which means they're big cloggers with no fitness or understanding of the rules of normal football -- let alone the extra rules of five-a-side (not playing the ball over head height, not shooting in the area, etc). So it's always fun playing these sorts, but you do take a bashing.

Wigan indoor is probably the worst place to play 5 a side in the North west.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

gently caress my ankle hurts. There was a scramble in front of the goal for a corner, the ball somehow found its way to me and when i tried to score someone gave me little push and i lost my balance and somehow managed to kick myself in the ankle. Really hard.

It's a bit swollen now and got a funky color, hopefully I won't have to walk around with a stupid limp tomorrow.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

euroboy posted:

gently caress my ankle hurts. There was a scramble in front of the goal for a corner, the ball somehow found its way to me and when i tried to score someone gave me little push and i lost my balance and somehow managed to kick myself in the ankle. Really hard.

It's a bit swollen now and got a funky color, hopefully I won't have to walk around with a stupid limp tomorrow.

That's how you show dedication - kicking yourself in the ankle.

Had my second game in goals (after a two-year layoff), much less bruising now that I brought my kit this time (and playing on a sprung wooden floor is miles better than turf-over-concrete*). Unfortunately it ended in a tie, we were miles ahead at half time and everyone switched off, gave up 8 on-on-ones in the second half.

* until you fall on your rear end trying to make a save - and have your 6'6" 240 pound teammate [2m, 110kg] clear the ball for you ... then fall on you. No idea how my ribs are still in one piece, he pretty much elbow-dropped me.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Christ I love waking up on a Sunday morning knowing that I'm playing football later that day.

The downside is that my child-like glee goes hand in hand with an authoritarian like approach. I find myself drinking water constantly, eating bananas and raisins and I've already got my pre-match meal planned. Poached eggs, beans and brown toast, as suggested by the twitter of one Jody Morris.

Had a great game last week. To be fair I had 3 of the best attacking players from our catalogue on my team that day but still. While they were up-front peggin in 12 goals I was at the back sweeping up everything.

Even managed a goal. I bloody love scoring goals. Everytime I run about like a loon doing Alan Shearer celebrations and kissing my St Johnstone badge. Bloody love it, makes me feel like a child again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Christ I love waking up on a Sunday morning knowing that I'm playing football later that day.

The downside is that my child-like glee goes hand in hand with an authoritarian like approach. I find myself drinking water constantly, eating bananas and raisins and I've already got my pre-match meal planned. Poached eggs, beans and brown toast, as suggested by the twitter of one Jody Morris.

Had a great game last week. To be fair I had 3 of the best attacking players from our catalogue on my team that day but still. While they were up-front peggin in 12 goals I was at the back sweeping up everything.

Even managed a goal. I bloody love scoring goals. Everytime I run about like a loon doing Alan Shearer celebrations and kissing my St Johnstone badge. Bloody love it, makes me feel like a child again.

Yep, nothing like waking up at 6AM for a 9AM match because you've got to get your prematch meal and hydration in. Today, slice of cold pizza, granola bar, banana, glass of orange juice, and about 6oz. of coffee to "get things moving." I usually follow this with a good three hour or so nap after the match due to sheer exhaustion.

It's 7:10 now so I know in the next hour I have to take a shower, get on the stationary bike for 10 minutes to loosen up my muscles, check the air pressure/inflate my balls, and go go go. Oh and there will be at least one if not two shits during this process.