Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola seems to have grown a lot since we got her last week- it's like she grew an inch overnight.

Last night she decided it was time to figure out if I was edible or not. We spent an entire hour on this routine: she'd hop over to me, nip my skin or clothes, I'd make a little scream, she'd either keep doing it or hop away. Whenever it was actually painful I'd scream a little louder and move away a little; then she would sit up with her ears straight up and stare at me, like I was acting nuts.

I think she might have thought it was a game. Or she wanted more raisins out of me. Or she thought she was grooming me. She's been licking my hands and arms a little on occasion, last night more than usual. She would occasionally lick me instead of nibbling on me, then go back to nibbling. With my arms she would keep nibbling even though I screamed, I had to push her head away.

I guess that's what I get for trying to read my book on the floor. Any suggestions for handling this better? I don't want her to be afraid of me, but I also don't like getting nipped, although it is extremely cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Fluffy has started licking my pillow. Not just licking it, though, it's like he's full-on grooming it. He'll spend a good five minutes just licking at various spots on my pillow. And this isn't even the one he peed on that he likes to "dig in" (which I gave him for expressly this purpose), this is the pillow I use when I sleep. I was woken up at 2:30 last night by a bunny jumping onto my face...and then licking my pillow for a good ten minutes before I finally picked him up and put him back on the floor. Is there any reason he could be doing this besides his being a bunny?

Edit: I just noticed he somehow hopped up on my desk and ate a good half--horizontally--of a stick of Wrigley's, cripes

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

WrongWay Feldman posted:

I'd forgotten about the chart. I'm gonna have to print this out and put it up somewhere in my house.

Update: He's back to begging for treats, trying to eat my shoes and being a dick in general. *sniff* it's so nice that he's his old self again.

edit: aww he fell asleep on my foot :3:

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 21, 2010

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

alucinor posted:

:words:
I AM TOO ANGRY TO BE CUTE.

Rabbits look so pathetic and vulnerable and cute even without a bib. My god that picture is cute.

Thank you so much for the manger advice. I don't know why I didn't think of punching some holes into the litter box itself.

Is that litter box a modified storage tub? I've had some problems with Lewis hanging his butt off the edge of his and peeing into the corner. I could probably get him used to it by setting his old one inside of it for a while.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

edit: aww he fell asleep on my foot :3:

BEST THING EVAR

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Foaming Chicken posted:

Rabbits look so pathetic and vulnerable and cute even without a bib. My god that picture is cute.

I don't think s/he looks pathetic and vulnerable so much as PISSED

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Foaming Chicken posted:

Is that litter box a modified storage tub? I've had some problems with Lewis hanging his butt off the edge of his and peeing into the corner. I could probably get him used to it by setting his old one inside of it for a while.

Yep. It's the Rubbermaid #2214 Roughneck Storage Box - 10 gal (23.9" x 15.9" x 8.7"). It's tall enough that even the worst pissers have a hard time assing over the edge, and is pretty much the main box I use now. I cut the door for tiny rabbits, leave it as-is for bigger bunnies. For the big NZWs and lops, I use Sterlite 28 Qt / 27 L clear storage containers (23" L x 16 1/4" W x 6" H) which is big enough for two giant fatties to get in at once.

Both of these particular products have my brand loyalty because the inside bottom of the bin is flat enough that they're pretty easy to clean using a small dustpan.

Levitate posted:

Yeah he's just pissed. I think he thinks he's a giant macho dangerous animal and he gets furious that nobody acts afraid of him. Somewhere I have a picture of him snarling at a giant NZW who is laying there in absolute terror of the little white demon. It was Flash's finest moment.

He's doing well - still not eating as much hay/pellets as I would like, but he's devouring his veggies, taking his crit care without too much complaint, and producing nice poops. Only after a few weeks of treatment will we be able to tell whether it's probably peripheral (ear infection) or central (EC) and determine how much permanent damage there will be.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Levitate posted:

The smaller they are the more concentrated evil is inside just waiting to get out. :ohdear:

My dwarf mix we call crazy bitch(her actual name is buttercup, till we learned what evil lurks inside!), since she's always grunting or trying to attack the second you try to do something she disapproves of.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

alucinor posted:

Yeah he's just pissed. I think he thinks he's a giant macho dangerous animal and he gets furious that nobody acts afraid of him. Somewhere I have a picture of him snarling at a giant NZW who is laying there in absolute terror of the little white demon. It was Flash's finest moment.

I would love to see this picture.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Pictures of SAMe!! She has funny brown fur on her face that makes it look like she's always just gotten into some chocolate.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Is that a rabbit or a terrier?

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

okiecompy posted:

Pictures of SAMe!! She has funny brown fur on her face that makes it look like she's always just gotten into some chocolate.

Oh man, as much as I love well-groomed buns (like Cilantro ), there is just something so goofy-cute about buns with crazy face hair!

P.S. You should all submit cute/awesome pictures of your buns to Daily Bunny because it is a great website. That along with this thread continually feeds my bun-addiction...

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh my god this picture.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Caught in the act!

Grumpy bun. >:[

Cilantro, the cleaning bun.

Naptime!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Oh boy here we go! Cilantro's taking a trip to the vet either tomorrow or Saturday to get a checkup. I think I felt a soft mass underneath her chin, which could indicate yet another abscess. Jesus, I hope not. It took 9 months to get rid of them last time and cost us a ton of money AND Cilantro lost her incisors. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Every now and then when he's eating, Paterson's mouth or self or something makes this weird squeeking noise... like maaaaaybe his teeth are rubbing together? Except he doesn't show any signs of being uncomfortable (head tilt) but I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet anyway?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Since my rabbit is of course a dumbass he eats quite a lot of the Carefresh in his litterbox. I've tried just putting hay in it but the stench gets unbearable after a few hours and he doesn't like it either, which he demonstrates by dropping huge loads of poo everywhere but in his own litterbox.

I don't suppose there's any way to get him to stop eating the stuff? I tried putting a lot of hay on top of it but he digs through that in less than a second.

Or maybe it's not that bad for him? I'm getting super paranoid after the third time he had a GI problenm recently, even if that was in all likelihood caused by his eating his own fur.

edit: he's also a huge jerk who won't eat the papaya enzyme pills to save his life (literally I guess).

also, look at this picture

It's like a cartoon bomb went off right next to his head.

Thanks for the daily bunny link!

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 27, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

Oh boy here we go! Cilantro's taking a trip to the vet either tomorrow or Saturday to get a checkup. I think I felt a soft mass underneath her chin, which could indicate yet another abscess. Jesus, I hope not. It took 9 months to get rid of them last time and cost us a ton of money AND Cilantro lost her incisors. :(

I called and found an opening today, so I took her to the vet. Cilantro does indeed have an abscess, but this is a "better" one than the previous ones she had. This one is draining, so at least it's not growing and getting bigger and spreading. She got a check up, a penicillin shot and Baytril for 20 days with a follow up shot this Saturday.

I'm glad it's not as serious as the last time, but this is a pain in the rear end. My poor bun :(

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
God dammit.

Nanners has decided recently that she wants her cage arranged 'just so'.

She's always been a little particular about a throw pillow we giver her. Like, if we move it, she'll immediately hop over and clumsily push it around till it is back where she wants it. And that was adorable.

Now, she's been pulling her litterbox away from where it has always been, and then pooping where the litterbox SHOULD be. We move it back, she'll pull it away when we aren't looking.

The only thing that changed recently is that we removed a towel we used to keep under her litterbox. We had it there because it made it easier to cleanup the Carefresh she threw out. I realized it's just easier to vacuum, so we've been doing that instead.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Now, she's been pulling her litterbox away from where it has always been, and then pooping where the litterbox SHOULD be. We move it back, she'll pull it away when we aren't looking.

Ah, I have several that do that. Binder clips or these things are both excellent for keeping litterboxes where they are supposed to be.

The latter plastic rings also make great toys. Almost all of my bunnies use them primarily by throwing them into their pellet bowls to indicate to me their displeasure that the bowl is empty.

pseudonordic, good luck with Cilantro! Abscesses suck.

DS at Night, is he chewing and dropping the carefresh, or actually swallowing it? You could try switching to a wood pellet litter like Feline Pine, to see if that's less palatable, or even mixing half-and-half. Alternatively, I recently met someone who places grill grids on top of the bedding in her litterboxes to keep the buns from eating the bedding. You'll need to look around to find one that a) won't rust and b) has openings large enough for poo yet small enough that the bun can't eat between them.

luscious, if you haven't had his molars examined recently, it might not hurt to have it done. But it could also be nothing. One of my buns squeaks when he eats because he had a sinus infection once, and his nose is now hosed up.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Weird question probably, but is it normal to hear "gut sounds" in a rabbit? It almost sounds like I can hear his stomach digest food. I noticed it more than usual tonight, or maybe I'm just being paranoid. He's adjusting very well, eating all of his food and plenty of hay. He was SUPER friendly tonight. Does anyone elses rabbit go insane over those papaya enzyme things? He was going nuts trying to find more tonight.

edit: I just read that it could be gas. Do I give him simethicone for it? I'm a little nervous to get all up in his face with a syringe, he's still getting used to us.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 29, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

get out posted:

Weird question probably, but is it normal to hear "gut sounds" in a rabbit? It almost sounds like I can hear his stomach digest food. I noticed it more than usual tonight, or maybe I'm just being paranoid. He's adjusting very well, eating all of his food and plenty of hay. He was SUPER friendly tonight. Does anyone elses rabbit go insane over those papaya enzyme things? He was going nuts trying to find more tonight.

edit: I just read that it could be gas. Do I give him simethicone for it? I'm a little nervous to get all up in his face with a syringe, he's still getting used to us.

I thought gas right away when I started reading your post. I would give oval to mine but he has digestive tract problems anyway. Even though he hates it, I notice that right after I give Patereson his medicine he perks right up. Having gas sucks... I can only imagine for a little bunny :(

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
What's the best way to give him the medicine? I don't want to hurt/scare him.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

get out posted:

He's probably not going to be scared so much as pissed.

1. Set a towel on a counter or couch - if you use the couch you'll end up seated on the floor while doing this. I recommend using an elevated surface because it allows you to get your upper body level with his, while being able to bend over and see under his face to aim at his mouth, while still maintaining control.

2. Prepare the syringe and set that to the right of the towel (reverse all directions if you are left handed).

3. Set rabbit on towel, facing right.

4. Facing right, lean over the rabbit, placing your left arm around his body like you're getting ready to scoop him into your armpit. Your elbow should be over/around his butt, your arm should run along his side, and your hand should wrap around to his head/neck. Pick up the syringe in your right hand while giving an ear scritch with your left.

5. All in one motion, fast and sudden: Gently cuddle his head with your left hand. Your thumb should be on top, fingers wrapping around his left cheek to underneath as if you were going to grab his head. You aren't grasping yet, just getting in a position where you can control him if he rears back. Bring the syringe up with your right hand, aiming upwards - remember their mouth partly faces down rather than straight forward like a dog. You'll need to come in at an angle to avoid hitting the front teeth - about 1 o'clock if his nose is at 12. Shove that sucker in at least 1/2 its length and depress the plunger.

I strongly recommend that everyone who has bunnies practice giving oral meds frequently, using plain water or even a treat like apple juice, so you get the hang of it before you need it. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

get out posted:

When we're giving Cilantro medicine from a syringe/dropper, we usually wrap her up in a towel (bunny burrito!) and put the tip of the syringe into her mouth just to the side of her teeth and slowly inject/release the medicine so she can lap it up. Since rabbits only have incisors and molars, they can't stop the tip of the syringe from protruding into their mouths.

Soothing voices and lots of secure holding help to calm them if they hate being picked up. And maybe a papaya enzyme treat afterward for being a good bun. :3:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks guys! He seems to be doing much better this morning. I don't hear the sound as frequently. I'll monitor him over the next few days and see. Giving him the meds seems pretty easy.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

alucinor posted:

DS at Night, is he chewing and dropping the carefresh, or actually swallowing it? You could try switching to a wood pellet litter like Feline Pine, to see if that's less palatable, or even mixing half-and-half. Alternatively, I recently met someone who places grill grids on top of the bedding in her litterboxes to keep the buns from eating the bedding. You'll need to look around to find one that a) won't rust and b) has openings large enough for poo yet small enough that the bun can't eat between them.

You know when I post about bunny problems I always hope it's you who answers :love:

I retract my earlier statement about the hay not working. After my putting the hay back a few times Billy seems to have forgotten there's any Carefresh underneath it. And he now eats lots of hay! Go him!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
While exploring today, Marcus left a few poops along his path. They were very small and not hard like his usual poop. Is this normal for a rabbit to propel himself along with poop?

edit: It is actual liquid poo poo and very frequent. We're taking him to the vet right now.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 30, 2010

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

get out posted:

While exploring today, Marcus left a few poops along his path. They were very small and not hard like his usual poop.

You have to be very careful he's not getting diarrhoea or anything. Usually I think it would be nothing but that and the stomach noises are not a very good thing. Pay a lot of attention to whether or not he's still eating well.

quote:

Is this normal for a rabbit to propel himself along with poop?

This however is absolutely and undeniably normal for a rabbit.

--Edit: Dunno if you're still reading but that's a good idea and the only option really. Good luck!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Marcus did so well at the vet! He doesn't seem to have liquid poop anymore. They gave him some simethicone and some Probios pro-biotic (15 day). He had a small gas pocket in his tummy, so the simethicone should take care of that. He was so calm getting into his carrier and was very well behaved at the vet.

We're supposed to give him one "notch" of the Probios stuff every 24 hours. The vet tech didn't really explain to us how to administer it so I think we may have given him a tiny little bit more than one dose for his first time. This isn't a problem, right? We couldn't figure out how to work the notch thing. I don't think a pet can OD on pro-biotics.

Edit: We gave him like a dose and a half. He's still hopping around the house and exploring just about everything, so I'd say he's okay. :)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

ps, welcome to the terrifying world of Bunny Ownership!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yeah, seriously. We are exhausted after today, but he sure is hopping around and happy as can be. A good trade off. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro is completely better! She got a follow up shot of penicillin on Saturday and the doc said he could feel the difference where the abscess had been. She's back to her regular bony chin. She'll get one more penicillin shot Tuesday to be sure and then she's done!

Crisis averted!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yay! Hopefully there wasn't too much stress or expensive vet bills involved...

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
That flow chart that was posted in this thread is SO ACCURATE.

We feed you, give you love, let you run all over the house, why must you grunt at us when we try to give you fresh hay? haha.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

Yay! Hopefully there wasn't too much stress or expensive vet bills involved...

The final bill will be somewhere around US$150 total. A mere drop in the bucket compared to what it could have cost if it had gone untreated for a month.

Not that we had a spare $150 laying around :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

The final bill will be somewhere around US$150 total. A mere drop in the bucket compared to what it could have cost if it had gone untreated for a month.

Not that we had a spare $150 laying around :3:

Glad Cilantro is feeling better!

I feel you on this. I can't even imagine how much it would have cost if Paterson's nose issue had gotten any worse. Apparently he could have gotten head tilt and oh my god as far as things I don't want to deal with...

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I think we're going to have a food aggression problem with Marcus. Lately, I've been noticing that he will rush us for his food. We will go to put the plate/bowl/hay down, and he will be right up on our hands trying to get at it. We've been telling him to get back, guiding him back, and not putting the food down until he listens. What more can I do? I can easily see this getting to a point where one of us feels uncomfortable feeding him for fear of getting bit.

I can't really tell if it's just him being very excited over his meals, or aggression.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

get out posted:

I think we're going to have a food aggression problem with Marcus. Lately, I've been noticing that he will rush us for his food. We will go to put the plate/bowl/hay down, and he will be right up on our hands trying to get at it. We've been telling him to get back, guiding him back, and not putting the food down until he listens. What more can I do? I can easily see this getting to a point where one of us feels uncomfortable feeding him for fear of getting bit.

I can't really tell if it's just him being very excited over his meals, or aggression.

Cilantro does the same thing. She's been so fixated to getting to the food that she's hit her forehead on the edge of the plate while it was still a few inches off the ground! That being said, she doesn't bite or scratch either of us when we're feeding her. It's pure excitement.

Once she has her food, she'll act aggressive if we appear to be taking it away, but she's never attacked. We just get flat ears and maybe a grunt, but she never stops chewing her greens to try to bite us. She doesn't do it a whole lot any more, but it was common when we first took her in (and got bit a lot 'cause she was a grumpy bun!)

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
He's probably just really excited to eat. He's a rabbit, they basically live to eat and poop.