Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

bgreman posted:

Is this at their Pittsburgh location?

Yes, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

ZentraediElite posted:

Yes, it is.

Cool, I phone interviewed there earlier this year but wound up taking a better offer elsewhere.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Okay now a Menger's Sponge!

Here's a Sierpinski carpet instead! (It's basically the same, just flat!)

Now, the Hilbert curve.. it's kicking my rear end. As did the Sierpinski carpet, I spent 8 and a half hours continuously working on it before I got it to work.
I suck at this :saddowns:

I should try writing some sort of L-system.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Here's a Sierpinski carpet instead! (It's basically the same, just flat!)

As did the Sierpinski carpet, I spent 8 and a half hours continuously working on it before I got it to work.
I suck at this :saddowns:

Shouldn't the carpet just be a polygon, which calls a function to create 8 polygons, each width and height 1/3 of the original height? You could just add each polygon to an array and call the function for each of them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tw1tchy posted:

Shouldn't the carpet just be a polygon, which calls a function to create 8 polygons, each width and height 1/3 of the original height? You could just add each polygon to an array and call the function for each of them.

Indeed, I never said it was hard. Just... for me :saddowns:
Truth is, I've never really done any real programming yet. Only small Java projects and some even smaller game projects. I've already learned a lot from doing these fractals!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Seems to me a transformative IFS would be pretty drat easy to do with render-to-texture. Hell, I might just go do that now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roflex posted:

Seems to me a transformative IFS would be pretty drat easy to do with render-to-texture. Hell, I might just go do that now.

If you decide to, I'd love to hear how you do it! I'm a real novice at this, both to fractals and to OpenGL/graphics programming in general. It's just so darn interesting, I wish I had some good resources I could learn more from (Currently using wikipedia!)

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
flipCode was my favourite site when I was starting out, nothing really replaced it when Kurt stopped updating it. The site still has an archive, you should find some interesting stuff in there.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Your Computer posted:

If you decide to, I'd love to hear how you do it! I'm a real novice at this, both to fractals and to OpenGL/graphics programming in general. It's just so darn interesting, I wish I had some good resources I could learn more from (Currently using wikipedia!)

If you have specific questions, try searching (or asking at if you can't find anything) StackOverflow.com, or any of the relevant sister sites at area51.stackexchange.com

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Your Computer posted:

Also, stay away from nehe. Just trust me on this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tripwire posted:

Also, stay away from nehe. Just trust me on this.

Already done that for years, don't worry :)

Thanks for the sites, MarsMattel and Surface, I have a lot to learn! Thankfully I've worked with 3D modelling for several years, so at least I know how that works. 2D graphics on the other hand, I have no idea about.

Now for that Hilbert curve.. I think I might need to make a new system. My current system is really based on whatever I felt would work for a Koch snowflake. Totally simple "take this line, find these points, make new lines. Rinse and repeat".

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Finishing up a sprite animation editor which imports/exports XML.

Tile games are fun. :3:

EDIT: Added Internet Janitor's suggestions. Have origins now. No auto-bounding box yet. Also cropped for tables and added blue blobs for added work safe-ness.

Jo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2010

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Jo: On the one hand, that seems reasonably useful. On the other hand, you created something new that makes XML and will inevitably create other new things that read XML. :cry:

Does it figure out bounding boxes automatically from transparency, or do you set them manually? If you're dealing with variable-size frames you'll probably want some way to define the origin for each one.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Internet Janitor posted:

Jo: On the one hand, that seems reasonably useful. On the other hand, you created something new that makes XML and will inevitably create other new things that read XML. :cry:

Does it figure out bounding boxes automatically from transparency, or do you set them manually? If you're dealing with variable-size frames you'll probably want some way to define the origin for each one.

TilED, the map editor, exports XML. I figured rather than hack together some binary format it would be easier to just re-use the code. Beside, Python has an easy XML implementation and Java can just copy/paste my loading code.

As for the origin, you're right. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 23, 2010

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Implementing the Seeds cellular automaton as a Windows screensaver in C++ with SDL.

Heavily cropped (each cell is a pixel, so the size depends on your screen res):

Just to make things more interesting, it randomly deletes a 20-pixel tall row of cells every so often.

Sadly, I couldn't get it to exit on mouse movement without exiting before it started. Also it dumps a renamed SDL DLL in your win32 dir if you install it, because I couldn't get SDL to statically link. I provided delete.bat to undo this.

You can get it in its current state here.

Seven Round Things fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 24, 2010

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Seven Round Things posted:

Implementing the Seeds cellular automaton as a Windows screensaver in C++ with SDL.

Heavily cropped (each cell is a pixel, so the size depends on your screen res):

Just to make things more interesting, it randomly deletes a 20-pixel tall row of cells every so often.

Sadly, I couldn't get it to exit on mouse movement without exiting before it started. Also it dumps a renamed SDL DLL in your win32 dir if you install it, because I couldn't get SDL to statically link. I provided delete.bat to undo this.

You can get it in its current state here.

Wait 1 second then set a variable to the current mousex and mousey, then compare to that. That's what I always do.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I posted about working on a tree algorithm a while ago and as of last week I moved on to other parts of terrain generation, so here is a video of the results of the tree experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZM8gFPjlY

The growth is vastly sped up in the video compared to how it will be in my game.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Madox posted:

I posted about working on a tree algorithm a while ago and as of last week I moved on to other parts of terrain generation, so here is a video of the results of the tree experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZM8gFPjlY

The growth is vastly sped up in the video compared to how it will be in my game.

This is cool. I didn't see your original post, what language/technologies are you using?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
So I participated in a 24-hour game coding competition (OSGCC) this weekend and me and my teammates got 1st with this DDR-clone done with ASCII art. Of course it was coded in D (because me and one of my teammates are insane) and we had one teammate that was entirely in charge of the music and the ASCII art (she did amazing).

Yeah, that's a narwhal. We had to incorporate 2 themes and ours were randomly picked to be narwhals and corn. Thus the random narwhals and corn absolutely everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil-LXC9CRA

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

clockwork automaton posted:

So I participated in a 24-hour game coding competition (OSGCC) this weekend and me and my teammates got 1st with this DDR-clone done with ASCII art. Of course it was coded in D (because me and one of my teammates are insane) and we had one teammate that was entirely in charge of the music and the ASCII art (she did amazing).

Yeah, that's a narwhal. We had to incorporate 2 themes and ours were randomly picked to be narwhals and corn. Thus the random narwhals and corn absolutely everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil-LXC9CRA

Okay, this rules.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
CA: Pretty much every aspect of that is fantastic. Diggin' that you used Anamanaguchi. Did you use any tools for creating the animations, or were they typed by hand?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

CA: Pretty much every aspect of that is fantastic. Diggin' that you used Anamanaguchi. Did you use any tools for creating the animations, or were they typed by hand?

All animations were typed by hand by our amazing artist and we actually have transparency with our ASCIIsprites (as I call them) which affects how we do the draws.

You can see an example of one of the animations on our github repo (I love the expression on the narwhal's face in the first and last frames).

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Surface posted:

This is cool. I didn't see your original post, what language/technologies are you using?

I'm using C# and XNA, cross compiling for XBox. It's strictly DX9 and 3.0 shaders since that is what the XBox supports. Coming from C++ I thought I would really hate XNA but actually, I like it.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Of course it was coded in D

Wow this is great - I never heard of D before but I'll be investigating it tonight. Being able to load C/C++ libraries is pretty useful.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ASCII DDR in D

This is amazing.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
For some reason the moonwalking stick figures are really really funny :shobon:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

ASCII DDR in D

Please tell me that the "Great Job!" at the end was a T&E reference.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bahama.Llama posted:

Please tell me that the "Great Job!" at the end was a T&E reference.

I have no idea what you are talking about. :)

csammis posted:

For some reason the moonwalking stick figures are really really funny :shobon:

I'm a fan of the pelvic thrusts myself.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

are you gonna port it to js/html5 :3:

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

are you gonna port it to js/html5 :3:

My artist originally wanted to do it that way. So there is a fairly high likelihood that this will happen after the code base is cleaned up.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I've just started a Computer Arts course where they have wisely asked us to make a flash game. Needless to say, there are a bunch of clueless artists wrestling with actionscript 3.

Here's the start of my effort:

Click here for the full 1042x831 image.

The pink blob is a hand that you use to drag the clouds around the orbit. Eventually, I'll have it so that you squeeze them to water the forests (which grow) in order to score points.

Here's what it will look like once I get to working on the artwork:

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Click here for the full 1920x1150 image.

It's a relatively simple Call centre/reception application that I'm building. I'm probably a week or so away from hitting beta stage.

I'll be releasing it under some open source licence or other when I'm done (I use a couple of third-party libraries or scripts, so I'll have to figure out licencing based on them. I guess it'll probably end up GPLed or LGPLed.)

Anyway, it's a JS Front end (built in ExtJS/Sencha) talking to a php/MySQL back end.

I've built it in my spare time outside of work because we sorely need something like this. I figured that if we need it, there's a good chance that other people could benefit from it, too.

In fact, I'm looking for a couple of people to alpha-test it. If you're interested, PM me your name and an email address, and I'll set up a user for you.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

bobthecheese posted:

It's a relatively simple Call centre/reception application that I'm building. I'm probably a week or so away from hitting beta stage.

I'll be releasing it under some open source licence or other when I'm done (I use a couple of third-party libraries or scripts, so I'll have to figure out licencing based on them. I guess it'll probably end up GPLed or LGPLed.)

Anyway, it's a JS Front end (built in ExtJS/Sencha) talking to a php/MySQL back end.

I've built it in my spare time outside of work because we sorely need something like this. I figured that if we need it, there's a good chance that other people could benefit from it, too.

In fact, I'm looking for a couple of people to alpha-test it. If you're interested, PM me your name and an email address, and I'll set up a user for you.

Knowing absolutely nothing about call centers that looks pretty rad.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I know nothing about actual call centres, either. It's actually more geared towards a reception-type role, but I've added a couple of call-centre type ideas such as (very basic) flow and escalation. I'm building it to make my work life easier.

It also has email notifications based on priority, and future plans include a mobile app/page which offers a very cut-down version of the calls list, so that people out of the office can see calls assigned to them and respond to them.

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 27, 2010

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

So I participated in a 24-hour game coding competition

Thats awesome!

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe
For those of you wanting to play Ascii Ascii Revolution until we get it ported elsewhere you can play it on 64-bit linux right now.

James added a 64-bit linux executable to the downloads section of the github page. It requires ncurses (probably installed) and cvlc (in vlc-nox package on ubuntu, vlc package on arch and gentoo). You will also need to download the souce code (downloads tab) and run the executable from this directory so the game can find its resources.

I have some plans to at least try to get a version working on windows, and I'm fairly certain I will be able to easily compile that for OS X (after I build ldc that is).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks a bit arduous without the most important feature: search.

emuporium
Aug 20, 2004
Sacrilicious
I'm slowly learning the ropes of Android development to make myself a workout logging app. I'm also taking a client/server architecture class (JSP/Servlet stuff) and using the class project to make a backend for the app to sync/store workout info. Its ugly and buggy but its slowly coming along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3eP5VfkgOw

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

LOLLERZ posted:

I'm working on a browser-based text editor. It uses a node.js backend as a text server.

You should check out http://www.cloud9ide.com - also build on nodejs, with debugger and extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

bobthecheese posted:

As I said in the other thread, looks pretty good. I'm doing an ExtJS heavy app myself:

Image here

It's software for business continuity and makes heavy use of ExtJS TreeGrids, GridPanels and forms; built on top of a Nodejs backend and CouchDB database (so it's pretty much 100% JavaScript).

Each form is broken down into component fieldsets that allow me to build up forms using different elements, and I have to do a little pre-processing on some stuff to put the data format for the CouchDB store but not much.

We're due to go into Private beta this month with our first client - then we hope to roll it out early next year to paying customers.