Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That's the current hotness for CSP miatas. It's partially to offset the higher MOI of the 275r15 Hoosiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

aventari posted:

99 Miata on the other hand

4825.2 miles
187.812 gallons 91

25.69 mpg :pwn:

edit: removed track days

Don't the 99s just take 87?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Really? I just figured it was a sports car with a high compression motor and would benefit from 91 (not pull timing with knock)

But just checking and it's only 9.5:1 compression ratio. That sucks. Seems like 87 will be fine in that case. I'll double check the manual and start putting 87 in it then thanks :)

Now I need an excuse to pull the cylinder head and deck it for more compression heh

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, it wasn't until '01 that they redesigned the head slightly to take advantage of 91. All Miatas through '00 were designed for 87.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vitamin J posted:

No idea.

You don't want that! The '99 6-speed comes with a 3.909 rear end and even with the long diff it still has much shorter gearing. In '01 they put the 4.1 rear end in it, if you want to know how useless that combo is, drive a Mazdaspeed Miata. The 6-speed and 4.30 combo would be most suited to rock crawling.

What you want is the 6-speed with a custom 3.6 rear-end and a turbo.

My mom has a MSM and it's a joke because the fuel cutoff is at 6500rpm. Running up to 7200-7300rpm and having the short gearing may make for a lot of shifting, but it's also guaranteed to be in the powerband all of the time. I rode in an NB with the 6-speed 4.3 combo and it was phenomenal.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Vitamin J posted:

No idea.

You don't want that! The '99 6-speed comes with a 3.909 rear end and even with the long diff it still has much shorter gearing. In '01 they put the 4.1 rear end in it, if you want to know how useless that combo is, drive a Mazdaspeed Miata. The 6-speed and 4.30 combo would be most suited to rock crawling.

What you want is the 6-speed with a custom 3.6 rear-end and a turbo.

I DD'ed a 6-speed/4.10 car with ~200whp for 2 years. It's fantastic. 6-speed/4.30 is the preferred combo for naturally aspirated track cars under 180whp or so. 3.63s are only worth doing if you are making close to 400whp - I have 350whp and my 6speed/3.909s are perfect. I tested a 3.63 diff with a 6-speed at ~250whp and 5th gear felt absolutely awful.

It seems like everyone recommending 3.63s has no actual experience with different gearsets in a Miata. I've driven every combo except for a 5-speed with 3.63s, and I prefer the 6-speed/3.909 combo for turbos and the 6-speed/4.30 combo for naturally aspirated cars.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I think we need to make a distinction. I was talking purely about street cars. When I jumped in the topic was about top gear rpm on the highway, Phone posted that he wants a 6-speed with a 4.30 and I pointed out that that would give a much higher rpm in 6th than he thought.

I can't believe you like the 4.10/6-speed combo so much, I'm sure its very snappy and always in the rev range, but what was your highway rpms? What did 2nd top out at? 55mph or less? Could you even spool your turbo before you ran out of rpms in 1st or 2nd?

Also if I remember correctly the last video of yours I watched (forget the track, was a Roval), you were shifting into 6th and coming up on redline towards the end of the straight. Perfect for the track, but I'm sure its limited your top speed by quite a bit.

I've got basically a '99 motor in my '96. Stock 5-speed and 4.10s. My car is slightly faster than my friends '99 6-speed. I think people give gearing too much credit.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Vitamin J posted:

I can't believe you like the 4.10/6-speed combo so much, I'm sure its very snappy and always in the rev range, but what was your highway rpms? What did 2nd top out at? 55mph or less? Could you even spool your turbo before you ran out of rpms in 1st or 2nd?

0-60: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEO5Ipp3DTc

I've been DDing our 120whp rental car with a 5-speed and 4.30s, the gears are annoyingly long to me.

quote:

Also if I remember correctly the last video of yours I watched (forget the track, was a Roval), you were shifting into 6th and coming up on redline towards the end of the straight. Perfect for the track, but I'm sure its limited your top speed by quite a bit.

I don't understand your point. Sizing the rear end for one track that has a freakishly long straightaway is an awful idea.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Thats a wicked video, you must like to shift more than me though cuz if I had a turbo Miata I wouldn't want to hit 3rd to do 60mph, let alone 50. Hell, you're shifting into 3rd at 45mph! Like I said, that's way too short for me.

Also, I'm talking about street cars. Street cars do have freakishly long straightaways and sometimes you just have to cruise around at 70mph. For a track car you're right, but people in this thread weren't posting about that, they were posting about cruising at 4000rpm on the highway.

e: This is freakishly long gearing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuwDY-ThB4
Notice how I can do drat near 40mph in 1st and 65mph in 2nd. I can't find my stopwatch but I would bet your 0-60 isn't much faster than mine. My car shouldn't even be compared to yours, but you're shifting while I'm revvin'.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 27, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Vitamin J posted:

Thats a wicked video, you must like to shift more than me though cuz if I had a turbo Miata I wouldn't want to hit 3rd to do 60mph, let alone 50. Hell, you're shifting into 3rd at 45mph! Like I said, that's way too short for me.

Also, I'm talking about street cars. Street cars do have freakishly long straightaways and sometimes you just have to cruise around at 70mph. For a track car you're right, but people in this thread weren't posting about that, they were posting about cruising at 4000rpm on the highway.

Notice how I can do drat near 40mph in 1st and 65mph in 2nd. I can't find my stopwatch but I would bet your 0-60 isn't much faster than mine. My car shouldn't even be compared to yours, but you're shifting while I'm revvin'.

looking at the two videos you're about 2 seconds slower to 60. Thats a lot.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Vitamin J posted:

Yeah, because you spend so much time in those lower gears (with a 6 speed and that much power) on a track. It's easy to see who's been to the track and who hasn't.

Also you're nowhere close.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

destructo posted:

Yeah, because you spend so much time in those lower gears (with a 6 speed and that much power) on a track. It's easy to see who's been to the track and who hasn't.

That said it probably sucks to top out at 120 at some tracks.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

kill me now posted:

That said it probably sucks to top out at 120 at some tracks.
That combo (4.1 & 6speed) tops out right at 145 or so, the 4.3 is about 140.

destructo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 27, 2010

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

destructo posted:

First of all I bet Savington has never used 2nd on any track. His 3rd gear tops out at less than 70mph so he probably isn't using that except for the tightest of corners.

Secondly, why are we talking about track cars when this is what we were talking about :

destructo posted:

A taller top gear isn't going to save you much, if any gas mileage. To keep the car moving at X miles per hour overcoming friction/wind resistance takes the same amount of energy regardless of what your gearing is.

kill me now posted:

looking at the two videos you're about 2 seconds slower to 60. Thats a lot.
Should be twice that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Now we're looking at turbo car 0-60 times? :psyduck:

FYI basically everything Phone or I have mentioned in this thread for at least a year has been track/autocross oriented.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

FatCow posted:

Now we're looking at turbo car 0-60 times? :psyduck:
Apparently so, and thankfully proved my point about how the 6-speed/4.30 combo is too low for the street, shifting into 3rd at 45mph?

quote:

FYI basically everything Phone or I have mentioned in this thread for at least a year has been track/autocross oriented.
Check this out:

Piano posted:

4k is right where it goes into open loop, though, which is a relatively significant drop in mileage.

Phone posted:

IIRC the FD in the 5 speed is .81 and in the 6 speed it's .79. The 4.1 rear end might make a little bit of difference.

Though, when I get my Miata sorted I'm aiming for the 6-speed with the 4.3 rear-end.

Sorry for assuming we're talking about street cars and highway rpms.

Besides I already covered my rear end:

Vitamin J posted:

For a track car you're right, but people in this thread weren't posting about that, they were posting about cruising at 4000rpm on the highway.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 27, 2010

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

First of all I bet Savington has never used 2nd on any track. His 3rd gear tops out at less than 70mph so he probably isn't using that except for the tightest of corners.

Yeah, I don't really care what 1st and 2nd look like. Actually, I wish 1st were shorter so it was easier to crawl the car up onto the trailer. 2nd keeps the revs down in the pits. The turbo car will spin the rear tires from a 40mph roll in 3rd gear, so 1st and 2nd are absolutely useless to me.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Savington posted:

Yeah, I don't really care what 1st and 2nd look like. Actually, I wish 1st were shorter so it was easier to crawl the car up onto the trailer. 2nd keeps the revs down in the pits.
Lol

STREET CAR

quote:

The turbo car will spin the rear tires from a 40mph roll in 3rd gear, so 1st and 2nd are absolutely useless to me.
Too bad you're not running that set up anymore cuz I think you'd have a faster 0-60 if you shifted straight from 1st to 3rd.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vitamin J posted:

Should be twice that.

I would serious post, but I really don't feel like doing math right now.

e: real post. Hey Vitamin J, it's OK. Track cars and street cars can co-exist.

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 27, 2010

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

Too bad you're not running that set up anymore cuz I think you'd have a faster 0-60 if you shifted straight from 1st to 3rd.

How long do you think it takes me to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
This thread went to poop quick. Sav, how much WHP do you think the new rental would make sans the cams? That's basically where my car is going to be when I'm done with the current work.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Savington posted:

How long do you think it takes me to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?
Doesn't matter how long it takes because revving in-gear takes infinitely less time away from accelerating.

Your car is a track car though so you don't care about that. You just like 4th, 5th, and 6th on the track and I get that.

What was your top gear highway rpm at 70mph with the 6-speed/4.30 combo? Let me take a wild guess and say it's 4000rpm to 4500rpm which is.....higher than stock.

Phone posted:

I would serious post, but I really don't feel like doing math right now.
My car does 0-60 in what, 8 to 9 seconds? 200hp, lightweight body, with a well-prepped chassis should do 0-60 in 4 to 5 seconds.

quote:

e: real post. Hey Vitamin J, it's OK. Track cars and street cars can co-exist.
Yep, but things that work on the track (like a super close ratio gearbox) don't work on the street.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Wait no I mean you guys are all totally right and sorry for jumping in when I did and should have let IOwnCalculus be surprised when he took his car out the first time after his diff install. Also, sorry Phone for assuming you wanted to drive at less than 4500rpm on the highway.

I'm gonna go put a bullet through my brain now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vitamin J posted:

Wait no I mean you guys are all totally right and sorry for jumping in when I did and should have let IOwnCalculus be surprised when he took his car out the first time after his diff install. Also, sorry Phone for assuming you wanted to drive at less than 4500rpm on the highway.

I think you should drive your non-rollbarred Miata more at tracks.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I think you should keep driving above your abilities and spin your car on public roads...in the dry.

If I am reading your avatar correctly.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
He's learned from his mistakes. He now keeps his bad driving on track, where it belongs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSe9Kr351Eo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vitamin J posted:

I think you should keep driving above your abilities and spin your car on public roads...in the dry.

If I am reading your avatar correctly.

Listen man, I will have a drift off with you any where you want. I can drift around a pole keeping my bumper 6 inches away from it no problem.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I'm glad you're taking instruction, Phone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, thanks?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

FatCow posted:

This thread went to poop quick. Sav, how much WHP do you think the new rental would make sans the cams? That's basically where my car is going to be when I'm done with the current work.

Hoping to see 150whp with an intake manifold. It should do a bit over 130 as it sits with a stock '01 IM, good intake, good exhaust, and an ECU.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vitamin J posted:

Jesus loving christ you haven't read a drat thing in here, I ain't doing a drat thing to my Miata other than driving it and eventually selling it :psyduck:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Sorry, meant aventari.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
What the hell did I do? I actually agree with you.

If 1st and 2nd gear are worthless then you need a TALLER gear ratio rather than a shorter one. Yes on a track car.

Once your out of 1st, effectively all gearing does is shift around the power band. (assuming your not motor is not some huge-cammed peaky monster with a 1000rpm wide power band)

Then on a street car, I say, and my numbers agree with me, that you want a much taller top gear than what the stock 5 or 6 speed has. I am lucky with my VWs that I have a variety of 5th gear ratios to play with and can actually swap the fifth gear out without even removing the transmission from the car.

aventari fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2010

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
guys, i am thinking pretty seriously about getting a 2007 roadster coupe with 80,000 miles on the clock for my first car. i just passed my driving test, and i'm 25 and can afford the insurance, it's not that much more than, say, a mazda 2 would cost.

how stupid is it to get an mx-5 for your first car? i think i'm a pretty careful driver, and i'm not planning on hammering the poo poo out of it or anything like that

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You WILL wreck your first car. Get a cheap beater.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I say go for it. Wrecking cars is what insurance is for. Also, I never planned on buying an NC anyway.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miatas aren't some death machine with monster power/torque that will make you wreck first day driving. Go for it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a bad babe posted:

how stupid is it to get an mx-5 for your first car? i think i'm a pretty careful driver, and i'm not planning on hammering the poo poo out of it or anything like that

Not stupid at all. Miatas aren't really "fast" cars so you're not going to get yourself into trouble in that regard (or at least not any more trouble than your average modern car. I mean, V6 Camries are faster 0-60...). If anything, given how communicative and tactile the car is will make you a more aware driver with better vehicle control. And the small size should be easier to spatially manage than a big boat.

FatCow posted:

You WILL wreck your first car. Get a cheap beater.

Not everyone is a dumb hooning teenager. This guy is 25 and hopefully has the maturity level to match.

And I started driving at 15 and didn't wreck my first car, even as a dumb hooning teenager, so there. :clint:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 28, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
My first car is a Miata and it's still not wrecked :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

destructo posted:

My first car is a Miata and it's still not wrecked :colbert:

There's not enough power to properly wreck a Miata.