Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Older dirtbikes weren't tall at all, but the downside is they're fuckin' old. My girlfriend's 1973 Suzuki TS185 only has like a 31 inch seat height which is really more like 30 inches after the seat foam compresses.

Also you could try a smaller modern dirtbike (>250cc) with a shaved down seat.

Really though, the solution is to get comfortable riding a taller bike. I ride my huge-rear end supermoto and can only get one toe on the ground and I do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
TW200 is a good option, or the RV90 :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://www.ktm.com/85-SX-19-16.209.0.html

My girlfriend rides a 65, it's awesome.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BlueBayou posted:

Are there any dirt bikes that arent crazy tall? I like to be able to put both feet down when I come to a stop.

Pretty sure lots of people can't get both feet down on a standard fullsize dirtbike. They're a lot lighter than streetbikes and you're not stopping all the time like a road bike. If you're doing lots of slow trail riding being able to get your feet down is probably nice. It just depends a lot on the type of riding you are planning on doing and your experience levels.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

n8r posted:

Pretty sure lots of people can't get both feet down on a standard fullsize dirtbike. They're a lot lighter than streetbikes and you're not stopping all the time like a road bike. If you're doing lots of slow trail riding being able to get your feet down is probably nice. It just depends a lot on the type of riding you are planning on doing and your experience levels.

They are tall as hell. I can easily flatfoot my 625smc with both feet. on my CR250 I can either very comfortably get one foot down or barely the balls of both feet. There's no way they can get the kind of suspension travel like they do on modern dirtbikes without sitting taller. A bonus though is they have very narrow seats - it's easy to slide to one side and gain some distance towards the ground.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Are there any dirt bikes that arent crazy tall? I like to be able to put both feet down when I come to a stop.

TTR250, XT225 Serow(?)

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/Serow.html

But yeah, you aren't SUPPOSED to be able to put both feet down. Slide off the seat and put one down.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BlueBayou posted:

XT225s have a seat height of 29" before you compress the springs the Super Sherpa is also pretty low.

You can also lower a bike an inch and gain quite a bit of distance.

clinto
Jul 27, 2010

What do you guys think about this? It's a 77 CB550 listed for $1,000

"I bought this bike from an older fellow that parked this bike to buy a Harley..this bike is very clean, very original..nice paint..slight dent in tank..hard to notice....nice chrome...good tires...seat is very nice....pipes look very good but have some rust on bottom .. I rode the bike a short distance a week ago and seemed to run fine as a matter of fact the bike is running in these pics...I like nice survivors and this is one...bike had a fairing and rear rack that I will include if winner wants it...only thing that I saw that didnt work was the horn....bike sold "as is""

Thoughts?

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Do it. Do it do it do it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So I randomly emailed somebody on Craigslist about a bike to replace my wrecked Bonnie, and it turns out he's a goon who posts out on this very forum! I just heard back from my insurance that the bike is indeed totaled, and since the other guy's insurance is paying for it, I suppose I can expect to get full Kelly Blue Book for it, which is $6400.

Now here's my dilemma, the fellow goon's bike is pretty loving awesome:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2029955322.html

The only problem with it is that it's had some pretty serious work done on it before from an accident. I trust the goon that it was all done right and the bike is in perfect shape, but I honestly don't have enough mechanical knowledge to check the bike over.

He's giving me a great deal on the bike (much less than the CL asking price), which would seem almost insane to pass up, but I can't help but also think I could just go to the dealership and get a brand new bike (probably a T100 or Scrambler) with my settlement. I could also get a couple other things the way I want them, like a luggage rack (instead of the sissy bar on goon's bike), and the retro-style spoked wheels and pea-shooters.

The main repair done to the bike is apparently the front-end has been replaced with one from a GSXR, and it looks like the gas tank and fenders have been swapped out with new ones (bike is apparently the Bonneville Black, so any parts that are white have obviously been replaced).

I'm refraining from IDing the seller because that would seem gauche.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Good lord is there a bike that somebody hasn't swapped a GSXR front-end for yet?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Cross posting from the CL thread in the hopes of getting more advice:

Link to the CL listing:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2031404747.html

I sent an email and heard back:

quote:

I got the bike at an auction, and changed a few parts, so I do not have the
history of the bike prior, so all I can tell you are deductions. The bike came
from out of state, it did no have any records at dmv, so it had to pass the chp
inspection, it ran right away, and many of the parts I changed just make it look
better. I took it to Chalie's place and they say it had good compression,
recommended a carb cleanup to start, but because runs great I decided to wait

it says close to 29k miles but the engine does have a different number than the
frame, so it was changed at some point, all the electrical system works
including the starter, the tires look new and recent, front brake works great,
back brake needs a little adjustment (spongy) but works good. the chain need a
little more tension, but it has plenty of space to adjust at the back adjusters

I got a new battery and the alternator works well, but if you ride only in the
city I recommend a charger ones a week to keep the battery always up, I put new
plugs, the coils and points look good. The inside of the tank had surface rust,
I treated it, so it would be important to keep an eye out to check that it does
not come back. The outside of the tank is in good condition, but it has some
fading on the top, and it needs a new cap rubber. It has a matching look set for
ignition, lock and seat with 3 keys

of course there is more details to go through, and I would love to tell you all
in person

How much should I be worried? I don't plan to ride on the highway, so I guess I should buy a battery charger?

Bikes are awesome, but I know so little about them.

so pretty

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlueBayou posted:

As a corollary to this, what sportbikes are more suited for tall people? I've been riding an FZ6 for 3 or 4 years now(actually maybe 5...whatever) and while I love it I'm getting the itch for something with clip-ons. I'm 6'3", not super tall but tall enough. The FZ6 is pretty comfortable but my knees are definitely high, and after long rides I'll sometimes get sore hips/cramped legs. I figure this will only be worse on a something not standard.

Are there any options for comfort or am I just always going to be a bit too tall?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

As a corollary to this, what sportbikes are more suited for tall people? I've been riding an FZ6 for 3 or 4 years now(actually maybe 5...whatever) and while I love it I'm getting the itch for something with clip-ons. I'm 6'3", not super tall but tall enough. The FZ6 is pretty comfortable but my knees are definitely high, and after long rides I'll sometimes get sore hips/cramped legs. I figure this will only be worse on a something not standard.

Are there any options for comfort or am I just always going to be a bit too tall?

Your best option is going to to get some really adjustable rearset plates and move the pegs up or down until you find the most comfortable position. I found that my stubby legs work best with high pegs that are fairly far back.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I guess I'll just have to sit on some and get an idea for it. I had a little situation where the state said I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months and I fell out of touch with my riding buddies in that time. Now I haven't seen them in years, and I don't have any other friends that ride so I don't really know anyone with a sportbike. I guess I'll have to make some riding friends and stop being a lone wolf.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SlightlyMadman posted:

Now here's my dilemma, the fellow goon's bike is pretty loving awesome:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2029955322.html

Weird, I was looking at that bike on CL too...never emailed or anything though because I'll be on the other side of the country all next year.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend any models that compare to a Harley Street Bob (say, 2004-current) that don't cost as much? I really enjoy the profile of recent Bobbers, but I just can't see myself throwing somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K down on one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The one on the Harley page reminds me of a Shadow.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been able to drum up since I started Googling a bit today. I haven't even price-checked the Phantom Shadows yet, but they're very similar, from what I can tell.

EDIT: On second glance, those Road Stars (Yamaha) look like they might fit the bill also.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 2, 2010

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

Yeah, that really reminds me of a Shadow Ace 1100.

2004ish model go for like 3.5-4.5k around me.

e: Apparently they only made the Ace in 750s after like 2000?

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 2, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What about the Suzuki Boulevard S50/S83/Intruder VS800/VS1400? (The Boulies being Intruders under a new naming scheme post 2005)

Looks like they replicate the factory bob and high forks pretty closely.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

What about the Suzuki Boulevard S50/S83/Intruder VS800/VS1400? (The Boulies being Intruders under a new naming scheme post 2005)

Looks like they replicate the factory bob and high forks pretty closely.

Thanks for the heads-up! I should've done some more research before asking, but I just wanted to pop in and get some ideas. For years, a 1-up only Bobber has lazily drifted around in my mind, but the want has been getting stronger lately.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I just thought I'd pop in and say that I love my Phantom and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The single seat that Honda sells is hard crap, though, so go aftermarket if you want to go single style.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I bought the white Bonnie! Got to take it for a short ride tonight, but I accidentally brought my tinted visor, and I have a really bad cold, so I had to keep it short. We're supposed to get a bit of warm weather next week, so hopefully I'll get some good rides in before the snow hits.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Dear Z3n (and other MotoGoons),

I found a gentleman in Castle Rock who has a DRZ400S (or E with the Baja Designs kit on it) with a big tank, and some other doodads for it, who wants to trade for a KLR.

Should I?

What say you all?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Jabs posted:

I found a gentleman in Castle Rock who has a DRZ400S (or E with the Baja Designs kit on it) with a big tank, and some other doodads for it, who wants to trade for a KLR.

Should I?

What say you all?

I'd say a KLR is probably a better highway bike than the DRZ. What kind of riding do you do?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

Should I?

What say you all?

If you have any offroad riding in your area, yes, you should do it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

I think you're pretty much screwed if your FZ6 bothers you. You'd be surprised what you get used to after you own something for a while. I think in general Hondas sportbikes do pretty well ergonomically. I recently rode a '04 CBR1000RR that had what I considered to be a surprising amount of legroom for what it is.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

MrZig posted:

I'd say a KLR is probably a better highway bike than the DRZ. What kind of riding do you do?
This (link), and this (link), 90% of the time, but I've also got easy access to this, and THIS!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I'd go with the DRZ. But you already knew that :v:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Talk me out of it.

Seems like a good deal, this would be my first bike.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That's a pretty old bike. Even if it runs great and looks to be in great shape, there could end up being a couple thousand dollars worth of repairs needed to get it past inspection. I'd see if he's willing to get it inspected before the sale.

edit: oh wait, hahah you live in Florida. Nevermind.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That seems like a decent deal(of course try to work him down a bit). Take a friend with you who knows what they're looking at if it's your first.

Does the bike wiki linked on the first page exist anywhere anymore?

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
06 v-strom in my area with minor farkles and 14k miles. Should I pounce? the guy is asking 3800 but seems really eager to sell. Will it be the awesome light-tourer I have always wanted? Should I shoot for much lower price-wise? I know Tsaven has(d) one--can you confirm or deny its awesomeness?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for my first bike since riding a Honda CZ125S and a 250cc Kawasaki dirt bike around on our farm when I was 12, and I came across this posting:

2003 Honda Shadow

I saw that it has a few dings in it, but to me, that isn't a big deal as I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on my first bike, and living in the north Chicagoland suburbs I don't imagine it will stay beautiful for long, if my truck is any indication. I've been wanting to stay under $2,000 and I am looking for a bike with similar style to this one.

Is this a good deal for my first bike? Is there anyone out there that has this same model bike and has opinions on it? If I buy this one, it is going to stay at my parents' farm until March, when I would drive it up to my apartment.

Edit - I should add that my dad has been riding for a while and said this looked good and has spoken to the seller about the injuries to the bike. The bike runs and is mechanically sound (or so he was told over the phone). I would also want to take a motorcycle refresher course at the local community college, because like I said, it's probably been 8-10 years since I've ridden a motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say if you can get it for around 1750 it's a good deal. I probably wouldn't push over 2k on it, considering you're starting to get into buying season now and prices are going to go down, not up.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I'd say if you can get it for around 1750 it's a good deal. I probably wouldn't push over 2k on it, considering you're starting to get into buying season now and prices are going to go down, not up.

Well I won the auction on the bike. I am pretty excited! My dad said he would get me a leather riding jacket for Christmas and I'm going to look for a helmet after I get paid in a week and a half. I won't be riding without one.

Edit - got it for $1750.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

Well I won the auction on the bike. I am pretty excited! My dad said he would get me a leather riding jacket for Christmas and I'm going to look for a helmet after I get paid in a week and a half. I won't be riding without one.

Edit - got it for $1750.

Awesome, that's a good price. I wasn't sure if you were the bidder or not.

Don't forget if the bike's going to be sitting a bit to toss some stabil in the tank and run the engine a bit so that the gas flows into the carbs.

It's an excellent idea to take the refresher course, older re-entry riders are one of the highest risk categories for accidents. Proper training is key to riding safely.

Stay safe out there, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, even ones that seem dumb. Check your tire pressures, lube the chain, and enjoy :)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jabs posted:

Should I?

What say you all?

I'd have the DRZ over the KLR. Just wind the piss out of the DRZ engine when you need to get someplace and enjoy a far lighter bike with a better suspension, milage brakes and all that other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I know nothing about Indian motorcycles, other than they look sexy:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2043992909.html

Anything I should ask about in particular?

Still trying to track down a sexy mid 70's CB:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2044726360.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2043614949.html

I assume the bigger the engine, the bigger the bike is gonna be. And since I'm small, I should aim for a smaller engine bike. The 500 seems like it would be huge