Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Undead Nightmare is definitely really awesome. Surprised that its only 10 bones since it feels like Gay Tony or Lost.

In case anyone is wondering it starts sometime after you get to Beecher's Hope in the regular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I have had Red Dead siting on my shelf for a long while and had for some reason forgotten about it. However Undead Nightmare called very strongly to me(Zombies!) so Ive bought the DLC combo pack and have started to play though Undead before going back to the main game(which I have barely touched, 3 achievements in total and most game time spend in multiplayer)

All signs point to this not having much to do with the main game at all and is purely a wild "what if" undead detour that just so happens to fit in some time just before the end of the main games story but should I be worried about spoiling to much of the main campaign by doing things this way ?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, the only thing you'll get spoiled is actually seeing John's family/knowing he actually reunites with them.

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
Just finished downloading this on the PS3 and it's simply fantastic. The new lighting adds a new ambiance to the game especially at dawn. It's a steal at 10 euro but it really illustrates what a rip off the other two packs were, especially the first.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man, shooting a zombie in the head with a pistol is a lot harder than it seems. The double barrel shotgun is definitely the go to weapon for me.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
You really need to use Dead Eye as much as possible, it will be a lot easier. I hardly ever used it before until now.

Pretty much done in New Austin and found another horse! It is the burning one, War.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I had a pretty amazing encounter when I found one of the Four Horses ("War" spoiler); the spot near where you get it has a canyon full of undead. I spotted the horse before I noticed a few dead folks running towards me, then more, and behind them a whole loving swarm. I rode my mount in the opposite direction before manning up and taming War. Of course, I just had to go back to the canyon to try out my new steed. I made two or three passes, burning all the rotten, undead bastards in my way.

Felt good. drat good.

Those are completely random encounters, you could have found it anywhere.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I wish it would show up on PSN sometime in the near future. My voice is destroyed from RB3, and killing zombies will help.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fennesz posted:

Those are completely random encounters, you could have found it anywhere.

Well that makes the encounter even better, then.

Has anybody else noticed undead accidentally mounting your horse when they pull you off? I had one zombie lady yank me off and saddle up, only to sort of fall off a moment later. I guess it's a slight AI glitch or something, but it's pretty amusing when it happens.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Has anyone been able to find any of the 4 (5?) horses while staying on the road? Its a bit annoying to have a generic horse slosh slowly through the offroad hills and not finding any of the faster ones at all, but any time I found a special horse, in either gametype, it was always deep in wilderness.

However, with the locations of their appearances completely random, it seems like I'm going to have to grind through offroad terrain :(

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I found the first one (Pestilence) 1 minute after I left Blackwater going on the road. War showed up on the map also as I was riding on the road.

When they show up you get a pop-up message saying "A mythical creature has appeared" and and a blue circle on the minimap. So you can't really miss them.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bummer about the random encounters. I've cleaned out most of New Austin and I have yet to fall across any mythical creature. Still, hitting the zombies in the head is fairly challenging. Not annoying (the continue system is a marvel at conquering frustration), but definitely challenging. Good times.

Just a question: how canonical is this supposed to be? I remember the last newspaper talking about the Professor being ejected from Harvard in 1914, not being eaten by Nastos. But it was funny, but I get the feeling this isn't taking place in canon here.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, the only thing you'll get spoiled is actually seeing John's family/knowing he actually reunites with them.

Good to know, and it probably is an unusual thing i guess to pick up and play this kind of DLC having not finished or played much of the main game but thats how things work out I guess. Played to first town cleared and played some of the horde mode thing. All signs point to me having made the right choice so far. Rockstar has been watching ALOT of zombie movies lately it seems and of the best most B movie type..

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Just a question: how canonical is this supposed to be? I remember the last newspaper talking about the Professor being ejected from Harvard in 1914, not being eaten by Nastos. But it was funny, but I get the feeling this isn't taking place in canon here.

This isn't canon at all, it takes place during the last "Homestead" section of the game and is a "What if?" scenario.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
Just completed Undead Nightmare and wow. Best ending in the history of DLC, period. I could go into detail, but I will not take the risk of spoiling a single thing.

Awcko posted:

This isn't canon at all, it takes place during the last "Homestead" section of the game and is a "What if?" scenario.
Right, not canon but an Alternate Reality. A better reality. With zombies.

Arthur D Wolfe fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 27, 2010

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
drat work! Have to put this down now or I'll be damned in the morning. Almost undead walking, you might say...

The new lighting is fantastic looking. Walking around with a lit torch just feels right somehow.

MacFarlane Ranch spoiler: Poor Bonnie... I just liberated the farm for the first time and that poor gal can never catch a break. Very bittersweet.

Seth spoiler: Nice to see an old "pal" again. I could see trained attack zombies being all the craze in the West now.

Only about an hour in, but so far this is pretty much the best goddamned DLC I've ever seen. Gay Tony and Lost was good, Lair of the Shadow Broker was brilliant but this is simply exceptional.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Just completed Undead Nightmare and wow. Best ending in the history of DLC, period. I could go into detail, but I will not take the risk of spoiling a single thing.

Right, not canon but an Alternate Reality. A better reality. With zombies.

Neat. So this means Marston is going to live through this one? Honestly, if Rockstar wants to make an Undead Nightmare series of games.....

gently caress it, I'll just say it: I think this DLC needs a sequel.
It's that loving good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Awcko posted:

You can go ahead and claim it's "non-canon" all you want, to me this is what happens after Vanilla RDR. I mean which would you rather have, John Marston (original ending alert) being killed and replaced by his annoying son or John Marston becoming Bruce Campbell in Sam Raimi's "The Quick and the Undead"?

Also, this game couldn't have come at a better time. It's the perfect Halloween-time game, it's just dripping with atmosphere and the undead horrors are effectively creepy.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Repeating this question because the thread is going to get on rocket skates.

Darth Brooks posted:

Are there any new multiplayer skins?

I'm wanting to know if Herbert Moon and Landon Ricketts are playable in multiplayer.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I'm still not seeing this DLC in the store. Do you need to have purchased all of the other DLC to get this???

vvv Glad I am not alone

mikestg
Jul 28, 2003
So is this still not up for PSN?

/\/\/\/\
Me too.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

mikestg posted:

/\/\/\/\
Me too.

I am gravely disappointed in PSN right now.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
:siren::siren: UN is out NOW (I'm in California). If you're not seeing it on the PSN store itself, get in game and access DLC from the main menu :siren::siren:

You should see a big yellow NEW on the menu. GOGOGO

I'm downloading right now

ada shatan posted:

Do you need to have purchased all of the other DLC to get this???
NO. Not only can you play this DLC without the others, you can play Undead Nightmare without Red Dead Redemption itself.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 27, 2010

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run

mikestg posted:

/\/\/\/\
Me too.

I got it off PSN in Ireland hours ago

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Hot drat, they even gave PSN+ members a discount. $7.99

Downloading this poo poo now. You can also find it by searching for it. It's still not listed under "New Releases" or even in the RDR section, but I searched for "undead" and it popped right up.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I played through the first 2 UN story missions and the new Stranger mission in Tall Tree. Awesome stuff, this DLC. I feel its going to take me way longer than the estimated 7 hours to play through... I'm taking way too much fun in picking off random zombies and helping NPC's.

I tried to check out the new multiplayer modes (horde mode specifically) but it just put me in an empty public lobby where nobody joined. If any goons want to get a horde mode going tonight, send me a message. GT: the nasty niss

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I hereby declare any further argument regarding the "canon/non-canon" nature of this to be irredeemably god drat pathetic. This game rules and it doesn't matter, jesus christ dudes!

Edit: VVV The other ones seem to integrate pretty seamlessly with regular multiplayer so you don't have to go out of your way to use their content

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Despite having owned them since release day, I still haven't played the last 2 DLC's. I'm hoping that Undead Nightmare isn't going to be the sole DLC played now, it being the latest and probably the greatest.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Hot drat, they even gave PSN+ members a discount. $7.99

Downloading this poo poo now. You can also find it by searching for it. It's still not listed under "New Releases" or even in the RDR section, but I searched for "undead" and it popped right up.
Update OP, bruh. The bold OUT NOW is crucial :colbert:

moms friend from work
Mar 28, 2010
I'M THE WURST
Jesus, I didn't think this game could raise the 'everything you do is inevitably hopeless' bar but they sure found a way with UN.

I had just cleared out Thieves landing as the sun was coming up, and while walking down I see a guy kneeling next to a body weeping with his gun out. I've seen this event before so imagine my surprise when the body LEAPS back to life, he panics and shoots it in the head, then makes one final pathetic cry and shoots himself in the face.

This game. :smith:

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Hot drat. Good to know (minor character spoiler) Nigel West Dickens is still kicking his snake oil in the apocalypse

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
24% :f5:

I still haven't finished F:NV, nor even started Vanquish, and now they release this awesomeness on me? You know you've done well when people stop playing new, full content titles to play your DLC.

I need to play Undead Nightmare and the other DLC sometime before next month, because i'll probably get hooked on the new hotness that comes with a new FPS when Black Ops comes out.

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009
The Herbert Moon encounter alone is worth the price of this DLC.

:tinfoil: "This is all a Jewish British Homosexual plot!"

I've only played for about an hour or two so far and I'm loving every drat second of it. I'm especially digging all the little details like Marston's new looting quips, the funky yellow and green world map and the new random encounter types. That and everything else makes it feel like a whole new game.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So apparently there are two other mythological creatures running around. A Hunt-able Chupacabra and a Ride-able Unicorn. I don't know how real this is but if it is, oh man...words could not express.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
PSN is going so slow :(. Can't wait to get in. Is there like a brush up on the controls though because I can't remember how to play this at all and i'd have to find the instruction book and such.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

A little help here I have cleared all the towns and finished all but one stranger missions north of Mexico. I still can't go to Mexico, and the only unfinished mission involves lassoing a retcher...which it tells me to find at Gaptooth...WHICH ISN' THERE BECAUSE ITS CLEAR. Where else can I find retchers? Or do I just have to sit on my thumb and spin until the mines get re-invaded?

Also, this DLC should go down in history as the absolute most anyone has ever gotten in gaming, brand new on launch day, for 10 bucks. There is no comparison.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Methodis posted:

PSN is going so slow :(. Can't wait to get in. Is there like a brush up on the controls though because I can't remember how to play this at all and i'd have to find the instruction book and such.
Here, full PS3 controller scheme for RDR.

Honestly, it took ten seconds. Brush up on your google-fu while you're at it :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

Getting bumrished by zombies just loving, out of nowhere is maddening, but lob in undead animals and holy poo poo I die a lot.

First death was to a zombie bear though, so that was at least kinda :black101:

loving regular ol cougar got me the second time, god drat it.

Some of the lines in this are god damned hilarious. Not gonna spoil any cause I have done about 2 missions, but holy poo poo some of these people are awesome.

So far the only dynamic encounter? I had was when I saw a dude crying on the side of a road, and well, it didn't end like I thought it would.

Best :20bux: so far (got it for XBL), but gonna get it for :10bux: off PSN as soon as the buying group gets together. The DLC is too awesome not to play.

Don't forget that you can change outfits. I am out killing zombies and looting corpses in my underwear now :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So far the only dynamic encounter I had was when I saw a dude crying on the side of a road, and well, it didn't end like I thought it would.
I'm gonna laugh if it's the same one from vanilla and you just never encountered it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

ShowTime posted:

24% :f5:
drat dude. I'm at like 3% :suicide:

Time to go watch 3:10 to Yuma and Appaloosa. Christ, this is like the eve of launch for Red Dead Redemption itself.

• Locked thread