Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TJO posted:

I've no idea if it's a semi-scripted thing that when you're on foot in the middle of nowhere a huge horde comes rushing at you, or if I just got unlucky, but after emptying every bullet I had into them more just kept on coming, running over that drat hill screaming at me.

It seems like hordes always seem to happen if you're on foot and happen to run into a few stray undead. And I'm pretty sure more come if you fire your gun or something, because they always seem to show up right after I fire the first shot.

Yeah, I've had a couple of moments like that, where I get really cocky and start popping a bunch of undead bastards in the head, only to be face-to-face with a dozen more, and then a dozen more after that until I notice that I'm burning through ammo and have to hoof it out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I've had a couple of moments like that, where I get really cocky and start popping a bunch of undead bastards in the head, only to be face-to-face with a dozen more, and then a dozen more after that until I notice that I'm burning through ammo and have to hoof it out of there.

This basically sums up my experience with UN so far, I can't remember how long I was in blackwater doing the execution shots to a group of zombies, spinning round and then hitting the next lot. It wasn't until my revolver went click that I started to panic as I didn't have the torch at that moment, not far off from it, but I just got the hell out of there as fast as I could with a group of screaming nightmarish beasts wanting my blood.

DLC owns, I feel like I robbed Rockstar

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've done so much multiplayer since finishing the single player back when it came out, that I had completely forgotten how annoying it is to have to tap X rapidly to run. In multiplayer there's just walk and hold X (on ps3 anyway) to run, and it seems to make a lot more sense. The suspense of knowing zombies could be anywhere ready to eat you has me running a lot more and I worry for my controller's safety.

Lewy210
Jan 13, 2008

Do you get the first Treasure Map automatically through the missions/side quests or is it a random encounter?

Also, whens Dead Eye level 2/3 avalible, need to do the challenge where you set fire to 5 and Dead Eye them. (Just got to Armadillo for the first time and my missions are clearing Graveyards for Seth and the Snake Oil)

*edit* Been so long since I played RDR Single that I forgot its RB to target

Lewy210 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 27, 2010

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

So I'm guessing the secret location is the catacombs, right? Also, what a fun ending. Not only was it a happy ending, but it gave a happy ending AFTER the original game, kinda sorta.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Lewy210 posted:

Also, whens Dead Eye level 2/3 avalible, need to do the challenge where you set fire to 5 and Dead Eye them. (Just got to Armadillo for the first time and my missions are clearing Graveyards for Seth and the Snake Oil)

You start with level 3.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

So I'm guessing the secret location is the catacombs, right? Also, what a fun ending. Not only was it a happy ending, but it gave a happy ending AFTER the original game, kinda sorta.

Truly the way things ought to be. Just a shame you have to let go of your outfits to do so. I never even got to wear the union suit. Still, there are a few more locations like the interiors of buildings and the part of Tall Trees where the last Sasquatch is. Still, I don't see how hard it would have been just to let everybody keep all the suits and have the zombie Marston suit as an option.

Lewy210
Jan 13, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

You start with level 3.

Hmmm, can't seem to pick targets (that red X which appears on body parts), when I use it it just slows time like level 1.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cruising through Tall Trees, trying to get the holy gently caress out of there since ZOMBIE BEARS are currently killing me a lot, and I see a HUGE winged shape in the sky.

I think maybe it's a condor or something, and hit it. It falls, and lands RIGHT in the center of a horde that has to be at least 15 deep.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..... Hey, whats this mythical creature bullshit? HEY! That's War! :haw:

Somehow I killed Famine. Right after I got the prompt that FAMINE IS ALMOST UNKILLIBLE, he falls down the side of a mountain with me on his back. Turns out Almost means "pretty easily killed".

Little hint for those that are kinda slow, like me. When you start clearing out graveyards, shoot the zombies as soon as you light the coffins on fire. For some stupid reason I was lighting them all on fire, and then trying to kill a huge horde. Lots easier to just do em 2 or 3 at a time.

Also, in Blackwater at the beginning, did anyone else wonder if the girl on the roof was retarded? Serious :saddowns: look going on that kids face...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, in Blackwater at the beginning, did anyone else wonder if the girl on the roof was retarded? Serious :saddowns: look going on that kids face...

Hahaha, I was wondering the same thing. Also the blunderbuss is awesome.

Not as awesome as riding War through Tall Trees at night while holding a torch, but pretty awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I don't think I noticed her being downsy or anything, but those first few people you meet sure got on my nerves. I realize that seeing dead people walking around chewing on other people is a bit unsettling, but does everyone really need to lose their poo poo at the first sign of zombies? John's got problems too ya know, but he manages to keep it together and get poo poo done.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cruising through Tall Trees, trying to get the holy gently caress out of there since ZOMBIE BEARS are currently killing me a lot, and I see a HUGE winged shape in the sky...

Yeah, I had the same experience once I realized that all those things flying around weren't just regular birds. I saw one and drew a bead on it, shot it down and realized I not only killed a bat, but I just killed the biggest loving bat I've ever seen.

It's a good thing they're not aggressive.

Oh, and to the people who've beaten the game, can you still gently caress around afterwards or does it just sort of end? I mean, I guess to have a proper resolution you'd need things to go back to normal, but I'd rather have the ability to do a single-player free roam during a zombie apocalypse in the Old West.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Heh, I like all of the people here begging for treasure map advice. It's a spatial puzzle, it's rewarding when you figure it out yourself.

e: Do Zombie Bears appear at a certain time? I've cruised through Tall Trees several times now and never seen anything at all other than quest related creatures. It's a little weird that it feels safer now than it does in vanilla RDR.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Well I think I just screwed myself out of 100% completion. I was riding Death, and had just found Pestilence up in Tall Trees. I break Pestilence, then saved my game in the one slot I was using. I whistled for Death, but Pestilence has been set as my horse now. The only way to get the deeds for the horses is to complete the 5th horse challenge. Which I can't do without Death. Who won't spawn without his deed. :(

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Ignorant Hick posted:

Well I think I just screwed myself out of 100% completion. I was riding Death, and had just found Pestilence up in Tall Trees. I break Pestilence, then saved my game in the one slot I was using. I whistled for Death, but Pestilence has been set as my horse now. The only way to get the deeds for the horses is to complete the 5th horse challenge. Which I can't do without Death. Who won't spawn without his deed. :(

Odd. I had the death deed as soon as he was given to me.

Edit: I whistled for a horse and when it came near, the license plate said "death" and there was dice in the mirror

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 27, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Horse spoilers: Wait, you get deeds for Apoca-horses as soon as you break them? I broke (and broke :smith:) War and got no deed.

Edit: I'm so dumb :doh:

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 27, 2010

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

^Above

Just found out they give you the deed for Death when you beat the game. :downs: When you pop the heads of every type of zombie with Death, you get the deeds to the other horses.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fennesz posted:

Heh, I like all of the people here begging for treasure map advice. It's a spatial puzzle, it's rewarding when you figure it out yourself.

e: Do Zombie Bears appear at a certain time? I've cruised through Tall Trees several times now and never seen anything at all other than quest related creatures. It's a little weird that it feels safer now than it does in vanilla RDR.

Really? When I was in Tall Trees hunting Sasquatches it was basically, unmount, run run run, swivel left, swivel right, roll dodge, run run run, shoot shoot shoot, die.

Also, best random encounter so far cannibal on the side of the road in a small camp, offering you a seat, chipper as hell, and and gnawing on an arm. Awesome.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
e: oops, disregard

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 27, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
You eat babies!

DLC is fantastical. It took me a long rear end time to download it, but it's completely worth it. I've done a couple missions, haven't really gone past Thieves Landing. I think I'm going to hunt around for some Apocohorsies

ruddiger posted:

When I was in Tall Trees :words: zombears
I had the same experience as you, friend. Thankfully, some good ol' eight gauge double barrel puts em down easy

Outfit Spoiler: Undead Hunter Scrap #5 :monocle: I did not expect that.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 27, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I really haven't had a big problem with Zombears. It seems like their living predecessors, they take two of a rifle or shotgun will put them down. In fact, I could be wrong (I haven't had the 5 seconds of safety to fact check), but I think maybe one good shotgun blast in their exposed skulls downs them. Red Eye, of course.

So, to reiterate, I haven't had any problem with zombears...alone.

It's the ammo-draining inclusion of all types of zombies, and ZOMBIE COUGARS, that make Tall Trees no more of a bear-skinning stroll.

Kabafo
Jun 25, 2004

I’m not supposed to drink but, I do.
Been waiting for this since it was announced and loving it. Played through about an hour or more of single player and cleared up to the MacFarlane ranch.

Upon entering the ranch to a decent size but scattered horde I spotted the old skinny ranch dog and went a bit closer to him to investigate. He wasn't aggressive but he did appear to be Zombified so I decided to put him down just for good measure. I ended up unloading about 4-5 shotgun rounds into him as he was calmly walking away from me and he didn't go down! A decent size horde 10-15 was approaching me so I left him alone and focused fire on the group instead.

I'll need to head back there to try and put him down again but drat that was shocking to see him take so many direct hits from about 10 feet away lol

ZomBears are seriously frightening when they catch you off guard. Sound track is awesome too.

Does anyone know if the Multiplayer 'Freeroam' Zombie characters are seen by other people without the UN DLC? I was chatting with a random on PSN last night who said they can't see your Zombie character skin if they don't have the pack.

PSN: Trexid if anyone wants to do some Overrun.

Kabafo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 27, 2010

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any xbox goons want to play overrun?

gt:pbucch

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I actually wish there were more of the zombie animals around, since they all seem to have gone into hibernation right when I need them to complete a challenge.

Also, can anyone help a poor treasure hunter out and tell me where step 3 of the first map indicates?

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
wow, UN got a 10/10 in the IGN review. I'm not saying IGN is the end-all-be-all review site but drat thats impressive.

I still can't seem to find people to play the new multiplayer modes. When i switch from free roam to the UN playlist it just puts me into a lobby with nobody joining. Are my NAT settings screwed up or are there just that few people who are playing the UN multi?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

So does the new dlc open up a new area in the map? I thought that was a rumor or something

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Apocahorsie ownership-related: I'd just like to note that I broke my first Horse of the Apocalypse, Pestilence, and I did NOT receive a deed, as some of the other goons have claimed. I'm gonna go hitch it and see if that does anything.

e: It does not ^

Also, is that actually spoiler worthy? I don't quite think so, but who knows.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2010

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Fayez Butts posted:

So does the new dlc open up a new area in the map? I thought that was a rumor or something

I think it does although its tough to confirm because I hadn't touched RDR in months until this DLC. When doing the Sasquatch hunting mission, I felt that I had gone way farther north than I had previously been able to go.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Piper posted:

I think it does although its tough to confirm because I hadn't touched RDR in months until this DLC. When doing the Sasquatch hunting mission, I felt that I had gone way farther north than I had previously been able to go.

Yeah, I don't ever remember going that far north, either, but I think part of the reason is that you never need to go that far during the regular game. The final part is near the mouth of that river that goes from the top of Tall Trees and empties into the gulf near Blackwater. It's off of any path and it's a bitch to get to and get back from, so most people probably just never ventured into that area.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

The Piper posted:

wow, UN got a 10/10 in the IGN review. I'm not saying IGN is the end-all-be-all review site but drat thats impressive.

The value for money, quality of content and overall concept make it the best DLC I've ever seen by a long way.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TJO posted:

The value for money, quality of content and overall concept make it the best DLC I've ever seen by a long way.

Yeah. As I was playing last night I was comparing this in my head to a Fallout 3 DLC of the same price. Fallout 3 only added a quest or two at the most with a few new armors and weapons. This adds all of that, does a total conversion of the game world, adds different random encounters, new horses, creatures and game mechanics for the same price. I really, really hope this becomes the new standard for DLC.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Spitshine posted:

Apocahorsie ownership-related: I'd just like to note that I broke my first Horse of the Apocalypse, Pestilence, and I did NOT receive a deed, as some of the other goons have claimed. I'm gonna go hitch it and see if that does anything.

e: It does not ^

Also, is that actually spoiler worthy? I don't quite think so, but who knows.

Word is that once you break them all you get deeds for all four. Haven't verified yet, I just found war (my first).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Has anyone noticed that the bighorns have been replaced by satanic-looking goats?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Scarf posted:

Has anyone noticed that the bighorns have been replaced by satanic-looking goats?

And that they're everywhere?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Word is that once you break them all you get deeds for all four. Haven't verified yet, I just found war (my first).

Once you finish all the Horses of the apocalypse challenges (There are only five) you get the deeds for Pestilance, Famine and War. You get the deed from Death once you get him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Am I losing out on anything by going straight into Undead Nightmare without playing the base game to the end?

Also, for the fifth time as I get ignored every time I ask :argh:: is the game worth playing through a second time as the opposite 'alignment', or isn't that much actually changing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Am I losing out on anything by going straight into Undead Nightmare without playing the base game to the end?
You slightly spoil the storyline, yes.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
There's no moral choices or storyline changes really, and it's fairly easy to swap morality. The world does react differently to you though, so just complete the game and have Jack be a misguided son of the brutal west.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Scarf posted:

Is it just me, or does bad/weird poo poo happen when you kill them? I headshotted one (which is the only way to kill them, it seems), then it was flung straight into the air, and a huge clutch of zombies just appeared in front of me. Or I killed another one and a bunch of zombie wolves spawned along with a shitload of bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is the first Graveyard in Mexico supposed to go on for a really really long time or is my game just glitched? I swear I've been straight-up destroying zombies for 10 minutes now...

EDIT: Yup, that was glitched. Had to exit the game and restart.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2010

• Locked thread