Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
What would cause a pre-set radio button to be "floppy" i.e. have no spring back (also doesn't work)? I'm thinking it would have to be missing the rubber membrane found on many keyboards. Is that reasonably fixable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I picked up a 2010 MS3 late last March as my first real sporty car. I'm loving it so far, but I'm looking to get a really good set of winter tires/wheels.

1. I've been looking at tirerack and 17n inch wheels/tires for the winter. I'm new to trying to size wheels to a car, but going through tirerack it offers these 17in wheels:
Sport Edition F7 Silver Painted (17X7.5)
and
Continental ExtremeWinterContact (215/50R17)
This should fit a 2010 MS3, right?

2. Is there a single form of a ton of MS3 owners I can look for used wheels?

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

BexGu posted:

I picked up a 2010 MS3 late last March as my first real sporty car. I'm loving it so far, but I'm looking to get a really good set of winter tires/wheels.

1. I've been looking at tirerack and 17n inch wheels/tires for the winter. I'm new to trying to size wheels to a car, but going through tirerack it offers these 17in wheels:
and

Oh god, I forgot winter is coming. I need to get some tires for my Protege.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

BexGu posted:

and

I found a set of used 17" Mazda 3 wheels on criagslist. There are several mazda3 dedicated forums. Google should give you a bunch. Also, if you want to go cheaper, many have reported that Tire Rack's 16" steelies fit the MS3 just fine. You can get a set of steelies and excellent General Altimax Arctics (rebranded Gislaved Nordfrosts), mounted and balanced, for less than $600.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I thought the 2nd gen MS3s required 17" wheels to clear the brakes? The 16" steelies from tirerack definitely fit a 1st gen, I ran them for a winter.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Hey, speaking of all this "weather"-related poo poo... I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain is a fair more likely hazard than a couple of snow days (when I'm more likely to drive the '78 F150 anyway), so what's a good "rain tire"? There used to be the Aquatread. Does anyone make anything remotely similar?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Syd posted:

I thought the 2nd gen MS3s required 17" wheels to clear the brakes? The 16" steelies from tirerack definitely fit a 1st gen, I ran them for a winter.

So did I. Lots of anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. Also, Tire Rack is drat careful about what they say will fit. I'd say they're good to go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

I found a set of used 17" Mazda 3 wheels on criagslist. There are several mazda3 dedicated forums. Google should give you a bunch. Also, if you want to go cheaper, many have reported that Tire Rack's 16" steelies fit the MS3 just fine. You can get a set of steelies and excellent General Altimax Arctics (rebranded Gislaved Nordfrosts), mounted and balanced, for less than $600.

What did you pay if you don't mind sharing? I have a set of 17" snow tires but no wheels. I should set up a Craigslist RSS feed, it seems like I never find the cheap used wheels other people do.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

CharlesM posted:

What did you pay if you don't mind sharing? I have a set of 17" snow tires but no wheels. I should set up a Craigslist RSS feed, it seems like I never find the cheap used wheels other people do.

They're the lovely (eh) 17" Snowflakes. He was asking $350, but after a bunch of other buyers dicked him around, he offered to let me have them for $300. They have some Goodyears on them now with 4/32" left and the factory TPMS sensors. If you find a set with crappy tires on and/or no sensors you might pay less.

I pick them up today and plan to powder coat them black.

Try searching for both 'mazda wheels' and (ugh) "mazda rims"

Anything from any Mazda 3 should fit.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 27, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Kynetx posted:

Hey, speaking of all this "weather"-related poo poo... I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain is a fair more likely hazard than a couple of snow days (when I'm more likely to drive the '78 F150 anyway), so what's a good "rain tire"? There used to be the Aquatread. Does anyone make anything remotely similar?

I would look for good all season tires. Tirerack is nice because people can rate characteristics of each tire like its rain performance, so look for one with high rain performance. I have a set of summer tires with great rain performance and they're fine in these rainy Seattle falls. Be careful about winter this year--if La Nina comes through as bad as they predict we could be in for a repeat of 3 years ago.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I did 17" Mazda6 wheels on my '08.5 MS3 + Conti WinterSports and the car felt unstoppable in the winter, plus it was cheap (like $150 for the set of wheels off of Craigslist, maybe? Something inexpensive.) You can likely find OEM alloys for the same or less than 16" steelies from TireRack.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SynMoo posted:

Hey, thanks alot, I'll look into that!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any idea how MPV wheels fit on a 3? No idea if they are the same bolt pattern, even, just saw some on Craigslist.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Any idea how MPV wheels fit on a 3? No idea if they are the same bolt pattern, even, just saw some on Craigslist.

A quick Google shows 5x114.3 which is the same as the 3, but different offsets depending on which MPV.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone replaced the factory radio head unit yet? I really want something that integrates full ipod functionality (charging, control through radio, etc) but apparently all the adapters for the OEM set are poo poo.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I know there are some interesting replacement units but I don't know how well they work.

http://www.autodvdgps.com/products_all.html?disp_order=5&page=35

Kornven
Feb 23, 2007

Go home and be a family man. Keep it seiso.

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone replaced the factory radio head unit yet? I really want something that integrates full ipod functionality (charging, control through radio, etc) but apparently all the adapters for the OEM set are poo poo.

I have the OEM Head unit with the aux for the iPod, problem is, now that I want to add sirius and make the SAT actually do something I got a dealership quote of about $600, is that fair?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I installed the Sirius module myself with some help from my uncle in a few hours. That saved me the 300 bucks they seem to be charging to do the installation in your case. It's really a piece of cake. The car comes apart with your bare hands and you just ziptie the thing to a piece of steel and call it a day, as per the instructions.

Note: The circular fasteners in your trunk and a couple other places come out fine if you stick your thumbnail under the center part and lift it out, instead of trying to pull the whole thing which often just breaks stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I've got the sirius setup in my 08.5 speed3 but I don't have a subscription to Sirius nor do I care to. Is the unit worth anything if I pull it out since I don't use it?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Sure, it's probably worth a few bucks to someone who doesn't have it but wants one. The kit is ~300 bucks, and while it comes with a lot of stuff you wouldn't be able to provide just by yanking yours out (like padding and zipties and tape and instructions), someone out there would probably still pay you for it.

I didn't like the Sirius right after I installed it and felt a little let down, but since then I've grown accustomed to listening on long trips and it's pretty amazing to hold the same radio station for 400 miles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I was reading into upgrading the head unit a bit and apparently a lot of the aftermarket head units don't support the LCD screen working? Some people have gone as far as keeping the original head unit wired in the glovebox and putting the new one in the dash to keep the screen working.

All I want is a headunit that replaces the OEM one with built in ipod support (and possibly bluetooth) but apparently this is next to impossible with my BOSE setup.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bovine Delight posted:

... but apparently this is next to impossible with my BOSE setup.

Isn't this basically the case with all cars equipped with a BOSE sound system? I recall sometime back, people claiming that BOSE speakers used some non-standard impedance or some other nonsense, and if you wanted to change out the head unit you had to rip out the entire system. Not that this is related to having a functional display-- but it is a rumor I've heard more than once.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Isn't this basically the case with all cars equipped with a BOSE sound system? I recall sometime back, people claiming that BOSE speakers used some non-standard impedance or some other nonsense, and if you wanted to change out the head unit you had to rip out the entire system. Not that this is related to having a functional display-- but it is a rumor I've heard more than once.

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend I'm a car audio expert but apparently its because the speakers are amped themselves or something.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Some Bose systems have the amp on the speakers, others have a separate external amp.

What year do you have Bovine?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend I'm a car audio expert but apparently its because the speakers are amped themselves or something.

This was definitely the case with the old Delco/Bose setup in my dad's '94 Z28. When the factory headunit popped for the third time, it cost a pretty penny to get a line-level adapter to put an aftermarket headunit in place with the stock speakers.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
:eng101: How powerful should we make the amplifier, Amar?
:science: Amplifier?
:eng101: Yes, amplifier, for the sound system.
:science: I think you mean amplifiers.
:eng99:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

Some Bose systems have the amp on the speakers, others have a separate external amp.

What year do you have Bovine?

It's an 2008.5. 6 disc BOSE head unit.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

BexGu posted:

and

Those will fit, I've got a 2010 MS3 running 16 x 6.5 5x114.3 55mm with 205/55R16 Continental ExtremeWinterContacts.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

What oil are you gentlemen running in your 'speed3's?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just recently switched to Pennzoil Ultra 10W-30 Synthetic and was running Mobil 1 before. Pennzoil Platinum is good too.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Is there a reason you're using 10w30 over 5w30 or even 5w20? I understand why people prefer 5w30 over 5w20 as 5w30 is what the engine was designed for initially, but why 10w30?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did they switch to recommending 5w20 instead of 5w30 for the '10s?

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum and/or Ultra 5w30 in my '07 with no issues. I might try to find 5w40 in the Pennzoil Platinum / Ultra, though, because while I haven't had any idle smoking, it is a TSB recommended weight and thicker oils hold up better in Arizona.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SynMoo posted:

Is there a reason you're using 10w30 over 5w30 or even 5w20? I understand why people prefer 5w30 over 5w20 as 5w30 is what the engine was designed for initially, but why 10w30?

Friend convinced me after showing me his UOA's and seeing all the buildup in his old (read: blown) block which was using Mobil 1. PP had better resistance to fuel dilution, and the 10w30 sheared down less.

edit: and I should clarify, the oil had nothing to do with his block blowing up. We were talking about oil while sitting around Cobb once, and then he showed me his old engine which they still had in the back of the shop. Then he told me to search around our local forum and I found a discussion on UOA's as well as good brands of oil to use. Just about everyone I know uses Pennzoil Platinum or some form of it.

air- fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 8, 2010

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Yeah, they switched to 5w20, presumably to improve fuel economy at the cost of increased engine wear.

I'll stick with 5w30 as was originally speced for the MZR

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone posted up a nice MZR used oil analysis on the Euro-formula Pennzoil 5w40. My two UOAs on PP have shown a bit more shearing down than is ideal so I ordered up a case of it. Can't get it in stores since apparently Pennzoil is being lovely about actually pushing the oil out to retail :argh:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'll see if I can get the dealer to take a sample for UOA. I've got a bunch of Blackstone sample kits laying around. I'm not sure what the dealer uses for their 'full' synthetic. I'm bringing my own oil this time, that's for sure. The next few changes after this one I'll be doing myself.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did they switch to recommending 5w20 instead of 5w30 for the '10s?

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum and/or Ultra 5w30 in my '07 with no issues. I might try to find 5w40 in the Pennzoil Platinum / Ultra, though, because while I haven't had any idle smoking, it is a TSB recommended weight and thicker oils hold up better in Arizona.

Do you think 5w40 would be too thick for the N/A 2.0 MZR? Been using 5w30 Pennzoil myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably not, I don't think the bottom ends are appreciably different. That said, without the weak link of the turbo seals to worry about, I'd worry less about getting a thicker oil.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread...

Has anyone ever used a Sylfex Auxmod? MY WIFE just got an '03 6 2.3 and from everything I've read the adapter Crutchfield sells that lets you mount a single DIN headunit is a glorified piece of poo poo that costs $150, and all I really need to add is a line in to the stock stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
After close to 28k miles on my car, its time to replace the stock RE050As with something cheaper.

I've been comparing the RE760s and the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO. I think I finally decided to just get the Hankooks, despite their softer sidewall.

Does anyone have either of these two tires or have opinions about either? I'm in the mid-south, so snow isn't (too much of) a concern for me and I don't want to buy tires that will wear out in 10-15k miles (RE-11s, I'm looking at you...but god they're sexy) and cost me close to $1k to buy.

It is my daily driver (and only car..) so take that into consideration.

To contribute: I also use 5w-30 PP for my oil. Been changing it at first at 3k, Blackstone said go 6k so I went 5k and they said go 7500. I'm changing it this weekend at 7k. I just feel weird letting it go this long (mileage-wise.) :tinfoil:

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 9, 2010