Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like Itagaki's superpowers the best. The only way to make him better would be if he made more puns while phasing through time and space.

But then I always liked playing the fastest character in fighting/action games.

EDIT: After reading Prince of Tennis this is so tame by comparison that I just can't be bothered by it. My only problem with the Woli fight was how long it dragged on.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's literally every Ippo fight ever outside of Date. Ippo gets the living gently caress beaten out of him but somehow pulls out that ridiculous samurai spirit stuff and wins despite looking like hamburger. After the rookie tournament thing way the hell back at the beginning Ippo has only dominated like...2 people in the ring?

Also you are being way too serious about this. Generally when anyone says something is like the author/creator "spitting in the faces of fans" they're being a ridiculous sperglord. It's Japanese comics dude, it'll be okay.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Fabricated posted:

Also you are being way too serious about this. Generally when anyone says something is like the author/creator "spitting in the faces of fans" they're being a ridiculous sperglord. It's Japanese comics dude, it'll be okay.

You can call me a sperglord, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the author doesn't give a poo poo. He will do whatever he pleases. He won't read this thread, your post, my follow-up post, and therefore, this discussion (if you can even call it that) is completely pointless.

vv You're just looking for an argument and I'm not biting. Sorry.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 17, 2010

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's a bit of conjecture to say Morikawa doesn't "give a poo poo" about the people who like his work. Not every fight can be Bryan Hawk/Sendo dude.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jedah posted:

You can call me a sperglord, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the author doesn't give a poo poo. He will do whatever he pleases. He won't read this thread, your post, my follow-up post, and therefore, this discussion (if you can even call it that) is completely pointless.
Yeah, he'll do whatever he pleases actually, it's his comic, which has been his life work for the last 10+ years. I think he has quite a bit of say in what's going to happen in it.

There's something called respect. Respect the man for the 900+ chapters of manga he's made for you so you can read it for free on the internet. You don't have to read it but if you do, you do have to be thankful for his life's work.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Bisse posted:

Yeah, he'll do whatever he pleases actually, it's his comic, which has been his life work for the last 10+ years. I think he has quite a bit of say in what's going to happen in it.

There's something called respect. Respect the man for the 900+ chapters of manga he's made for you so you can read it for free on the internet. You don't have to read it but if you do, you do have to be thankful for his life's work.

Spare me the self-righteous rant, please. Of course I am thankful for his manga, why do you think I am hoping, praying, and wishing that it would get better? Mori has a created a cash cow, a Hajime No Ippo brand. There's tons of merchandise, video games, manga sales, etc. Whether the current writing sucks or not is quickly becoming inconsequential. The manga is most likely too big to fail.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 17, 2010

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Apparently it started in February 1990, which means it's been going for over 20 years. It is literally older than some of its readers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet that the way he'll finish this fight faster than Ippo did (remember his time goal?) is by traveling back in time to the first round due to his speed. Also he'll show up behind Karasawa and win by slamming his dick into his rear end so fast that he teleports through Karasawa's body, causing it to explode in a shower of blood. The audience is left speechless as Itagaki does back-flips in the pool of blood.

To be honest, Ippo has, for the most part, always had pretty absurd fights. A lot of the time he'd do the Power Rangers-ish "get my rear end kicked until I'm nearly dead, and *then* use my hidden special skill." Was still 100x better than what we've been seeing lately though. Had an actual plot that progressed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Itagaki moved so fast that he went back in time and became not only his own father, but the father of every major character. The original fathers he sodomized at the speed of light.

Really, moving so fast that one guy can't keep up is one thing. He could just be staying behind his opponent. But no, a stadium full of people who can clearly see the entire ring from above can't see him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Really, moving so fast that one guy can't keep up is one thing. He could just be staying behind his opponent.

Actually, even that is completely unbelievable. Unless the opponent is the slowest man on Earth, no one should be able to run in circles faster than someone can rotate in one spot, especially in boxing. Even Woli didn't disappear, right? He would just move to Ippo's side really fast and move/dodge too fast for him to react properly. But he could at least see him. Karasawa, however, could not only not see him, but Karasawa himself is even supposed to be a boxer known for being fast.

But yeah, the audience not seeing him does take it to a completely different level.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

But yeah, the audience not seeing him does take it to a completely different level.

I feel like the best Ippo fights meet the description "If you forget anything you might know about boxing or fighting in general, and then add a reasonable amount of suspension of disbelief, it seems plausible." Date's heartbreak shot was the first case I can think of that really stretched this, if you allow that Mashiba's ten-foot rubber arms are just a visual exaggeration. (Then again, those were both great fights, so I may have disproven my own point.)

I think Woli's being able to constantly stay behind Karasawa would just barely meet that criterion. But of course, to buy that the audience can't see him, you have to forget everything you know about eyesight.

Not to overthink it, or anything, of course.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 18, 2010

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

This is starting lean way too much over in superpower-territory. The exaggerated, yet humanly possible things they were doing so far until Woli and the present Itagaki bullshit is making it just another superpower shounen, even in sports. I have Prince of Tennis for this level of nonsense.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Quick update, 908 was just translated. http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/

This video is nearly identical, by comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kTCS0RvcmA

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 18, 2010

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That was pretty much the best fight in RK (except for the one just after it). This fight in HnI is great too.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 19, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, what's next chapter? Heat vision or freezing breath? Perhaps even super-ventriloquism!

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
You guys are kind of retarded because he isn't literally phasing out of existence from his fabulous superspeed, it's just a visual exaggeration of how fast he appears.

jesus christ you guys

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Sanada was being reaaally misleading a few chapters back about the whole thing. It's almost like Morikawa changed his mind about the ridiculousness and tried to re-explain it more realistically.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
I'm assuming Itagaki's pulling off something like this bit from AIKI. He's not moving at superhuman speeds, his weaving and erratic movement just make you try to 'follow' him in a different direction than he's actually going and then you lose him completely before you realize. He's probably doing something with his movement to trick Karasawa into looking where he isn't and then moving into a blindspot so he can throw a punch. I'm pretty sure the audience can see him just fine, too; when they're commenting about him moving faster than the eye can follow they're talking about him getting the jump on Karasawa. God only knows where his Mystic Eyes of Musculature Perception came from, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

908 is out.

Didn't I read this fight already?
Wasn't it the last loving fight?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
910 spoiler pic :stare: http://imgur.com/gxBgg.jpg

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Lamebot posted:

910 spoiler pic :stare: http://imgur.com/gxBgg.jpg

Super-Itagaki has the power to spit out three mouthguards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Those are spiritrons. Didn't you know that he is made of spiritrons?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone Itagaki fought retired right after their fight, like half of Ippo's opponents do? I'm just trying to figure out whether it's going to become Hajime no Itagaki or not after Itagaki inevitably fights Ippo.

Also, how old is Takamura at this point? Thirty-five?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DoubleDonut posted:

Also, how old is Takamura at this point? Thirty-five?

It's still 199X in Ippo time, which mean's it's still less than ten years since Ippo started boxing (since he started in 1990). Takamura probably started while Ippo and Miyata were in middle school, so add three years onto Ippo's career at least, with a maximum of another three. He dropped out of high school to box so...he's been at it maybe ten years? Which would make him twenty six, right?

Also, as ludicrous as Itagaki's speed is coming off in this fight, I don't really see it as him being pushed as particularly broken. Part of the problem is that we tend to get a POV from the fight from that of the fighters, so to Karasawa it might look like he's breaking the laws of physics, but it's not like he's actual left a ring of fire in the ring from his friction trail. Plus, more than anything else: this is Karasawa he's fighting. The guy that Ippo made into kibble. The guy whose function, from a narrative standpoint, was to basically show how badass Ippo is even without using his full arsenal. Is Itagaki clobbering him really that far fetched? Not to mention the fact that (spoilers for 910 and 911) by the end of the fight Itagaki is a wheezing, battered mess, while Ippo basically came out of it unscathed Broken? No, I'd say pretty far from it.

I'm also curious about where Itagaki will eventually jump ship to. It seemed likely that he would end up at the Toho Gym with Mashiba for a while there, but now that Sawamura is looking to become a trainer in Nagoya.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2010

KoB
May 1, 2009
Takamura was born in 69 according to some website I just googled, and he beat Eagle in 95, so hes roughly 26.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Up to chapter 911

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
All I could think about while reading those was how infuriated this thread was going to be. :3:

Especially that he still beat Ippo's time, which almost no one thought was going to happen.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Sindai posted:

All I could think about while reading those was how infuriated this thread was going to be. :3:

Especially that he still beat Ippo's time, which almost no one thought was going to happen.

Yeah, I could see him winning, but beating the time? Oh, my.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Haha "He can copy moves he likes!"

"What about the frog punch?"

"..."

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Fight so stupid, I've actually decided to stop following Ippo until I hear something amazing happens.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At least he's starting to show signs of actually being scary/evil/whatever the hell for when he fights Ippo. I enjoyed the fight, honestly, and it's got me seriously excited for the eventual Ippo/Itagaki matchup. It's got more buildup than the next Miyata/Ippo showdown, at this point.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I want Itagaki to get completely full of himself and then have Ippo completely destroy him in a single punch.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

KoB posted:

I want Itagaki to get completely full of himself and then have Ippo completely destroy him in a single punch.
Which he would, according to this fight. People seem to be forgetting that while Itagaki won this fight quicker than Ippo, Karasawa was the guy Ippo ground into paste without using any sunday punches, just plain punches. Itagaki 'leveled up' in this fight, and even then was pretty close to losing. Ippo left the ring with Karasawa ground into paste, Ippo being uninjured, Itagaki could barely stand under his own power.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
We're probably supposed to assume that Karasawa has gotten much stronger since then or something. Ah well, I'm really more interested in what's gonna happen with Saeki, since he always looked pretty badass in fights. Of course, with the way things are going.. We all know Itagaki is never going to lose again.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

That fight was cool as heck but didn't feel like it belonged in HnI. I guess I'm okay with this manga moving further into the shounen absurdity sports genre but I definitely enjoyed the more "realistic" fights from earlier on.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 912 out.

Not much happens, Kimura and Aoki win their matches and Itagaki puts on a nice rape face.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Loved that pun. Takamura raising the stakes.

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I can't believe a trash manga like ippo won mangastream's contest for their next manga to translate

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
To be fair, it used to be fantastic. Its average now is okay, but we've seen a few bad arcs lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Globular Fellow posted:

I can't believe a trash manga like ippo won mangastream's contest for their next manga to translate
I never noticed any contest. What other entries were there?

I mean, whatever group is doing Ippo right now does a plenty good enough job.