Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure about price, but no because 919s are way cooler than Gladiuses.
Yeah. My gladius looks pretty rad these days though. Black is way tougher than white.

BTW, I sent you a PM a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Just checked, blue book trade-in for the 2009 Gladie is the same value as blue book retail for the 2003 919. Somehow I doub a dealer would do an even swap though.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

MotoMind posted:

You do it upside down of course and refill with upside down oil.

The caps should unscrew as usual, if you can't see the seam then raise the forks a bit. There should be a drain bolt at the bottom as well.

So, just like a normal fork ? It has the rebound/etc screws on the top cap, that changes anything ? What I found about oil level on the internet says i have to remove the springs to do it...

Basically I know this should be a piece of cake, but i'm scared shitless of screwing things up...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

chryst posted:

Yeah. My gladius looks pretty rad these days though. Black is way tougher than white.

Edit: Just checked, blue book trade-in for the 2009 Gladie is the same value as blue book retail for the 2003 919. Somehow I doub a dealer would do an even swap though.

You'd be surprised, especially if your Gladius is low mileage. I'd say it's worth a shot if you feel like it's upgradin' time.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

You'd be surprised, especially if your Gladius is low mileage. I'd say it's worth a shot if you feel like it's upgradin' time.
Just talked to the dealer, turns out it wasn't the one I thought. They don't do trades, but apparently their used department is some kind of motorcycle consignment shop, so they'd help me sell the Gladius on their floor. Seems unlikely I'd get a great deal with Winter coming up. Guess I'll hold off for something easier to work with.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 28, 2010

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
I just had to go pick my friend up. His '93 gsr has having a major problem. He just got it running after cleaning the carbs and it was going along fine til it died. Now, when he starts it up, it idles fine but if you try and put it in gear it shuts off. It's currently hidden behind an abandoned house down the street, so I am trying to figure out anything to fix it as soon as possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did he run wire through the pilot jets? Is it out of gas?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

radikewlism posted:

I just had to go pick my friend up. His '93 gsr has having a major problem. He just got it running after cleaning the carbs and it was going along fine til it died. Now, when he starts it up, it idles fine but if you try and put it in gear it shuts off. It's currently hidden behind an abandoned house down the street, so I am trying to figure out anything to fix it as soon as possible.

Shuts off like he hit a kill switch? Check the kickstand switch. I have never sat at a gas station for an hour before realizing that switch can get stuck.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, my braking vibes. I've noticed that they only start when I'm braking hard to a stop, starting when I drop below maybe 30kmh. If I'm braking hard for a corner for example, i.e not stopping, it's fine, and if get off the brakes then back on it can go away (and no, I'm not going around locking up the front). I am getting a bit of fork dive, so could it be that the front tyre is getting loaded right up, running out of travel and skipping along the road? Might need to stiffen up the forks more? More preload?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ive had that issue with mildly warped front rotors. With real mild warp, it's usually not noticeable unless you're really light on the brakes.

How much fork travel are you using?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Ive had that issue with mildly warped front rotors. With real mild warp, it's usually not noticeable unless you're really light on the brakes.

How much fork travel are you using?

It does seem to dip at the front quite a bit. I'll get a zip tie on to it tonight. I don't think it's rotor warp because it's not coming through the lever, it's through the bars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I might just be numb as poo poo at the lever, but mild warping never seemed to cause a significant amount of lever vibration for me. It should be visible to the eye if you jack the front end off the ground and get it spinning pretty quick. They should be dead straight, any walking means you've got problems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chryst posted:

Sorry, yeah, I got it, I just haven't responded since I've been incredibly busy lately.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It does seem to dip at the front quite a bit. I'll get a zip tie on to it tonight. I don't think it's rotor warp because it's not coming through the lever, it's through the bars.

Check steering head bearings.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So, my braking vibes. I've noticed that they only start when I'm braking hard to a stop, starting when I drop below maybe 30kmh. If I'm braking hard for a corner for example, i.e not stopping, it's fine, and if get off the brakes then back on it can go away (and no, I'm not going around locking up the front). I am getting a bit of fork dive, so could it be that the front tyre is getting loaded right up, running out of travel and skipping along the road? Might need to stiffen up the forks more? More preload?

The rotor on my DR is visibly warped, like incredible warped, but the only time I ever feel it is when I come to a stop. If I'm on the brakes at speed, I don't feel a thing, yet when almost at a stop the bike will start to vibrate a bit.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

So, just like a normal fork ? It has the rebound/etc screws on the top cap, that changes anything ? What I found about oil level on the internet says i have to remove the springs to do it...

Basically I know this should be a piece of cake, but i'm scared shitless of screwing things up...

No springs, I believe fork oil level is also measured with forks fully compressed. If you're lazy just drain the oil into a measuring cup and re-add the same amount.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I went ahead and rebuilt the brake master cylinder on my 79 CX00, and all went well for the most part. But now I can pull the level all the way, as hard as I can and the front won't lock, but at the same time, it won't stop too hard. I also put in new pads, do they just need some breaking in?

Should I bleed the brake again? Or did I gently caress something up?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You probably didn't bleed the system properly if you can squeeze the lever all the way to the bar. Unless I'm misunderstanding and it's just not stopping very quickly. In that case I'd make sure there's no contamination on the rotor such as oil and then re-bleed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

You probably didn't bleed the system properly if you can squeeze the lever all the way to the bar. Unless I'm misunderstanding and it's just not stopping very quickly. In that case I'd make sure there's no contamination on the rotor such as oil and then re-bleed.

I wouldn't put it past myself to not bleed it properly. It is quite spongey, maybe I was just itching to go ride it around the block as it's been almost a month since it's moved (due to metal on metal pads + leaking master cyl)

Edit: One more; My radiator is FULL and so is my resevoir, it spit out about 1/4 cup of coolant yesterday after shutting it down, then starting up again about a minute later. Is this just cause my poo poo is too full from whoever filled it last time? According to the temp. gauge it was at the correct running temperature, just kinda threw up a bit.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 1, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Radiators are supposed to be full to the pressure cap and then have maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the reservoir full of coolant. If somebody overfilled the coolant reservoir that would be a reason. If your reservoir is full the coolant has nowhere to go and gets burped out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Radiators are supposed to be full to the pressure cap and then have maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the reservoir full of coolant. If somebody overfilled the coolant reservoir that would be a reason. If your reservoir is full the coolant has nowhere to go and gets burped out.

Radiator is completely full, like if it was on the sidestand when I took the cap off it would have spilled out. And the resevoir is like 7/8 full. I'll just let it puke some more out I guess. I could siphon it out but I'm lazy and a green puking bike is funny as long as it's not in my driveway :)

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Before my Ktm ate its timing chain it would boil over all the time, then I added a gatordade reservoir and it too would overflow. When I disassembled the head I saw that oh hey my water pump impeller was missing.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

SaNChEzZ posted:

Radiator is completely full, like if it was on the sidestand when I took the cap off it would have spilled out. And the resevoir is like 7/8 full. I'll just let it puke some more out I guess. I could siphon it out but I'm lazy and a green puking bike is funny as long as it's not in my driveway :)

I have this same thing happening with my Honda, whenever i'm riding around the city, the temp gauge goes up a bit in the stop'n go but it never dangerously overheats, but when I park and shut it off a little bit of coolant drips from the radiator cap area and onto the ground. I even put a brand new cap on it and the same thing happens, the reservoir is between the L and H marks as well.

^^^ I wonder if I should check my Honda's waterpump then :o

Rowe
May 16, 2006
Was hoping to get some insight on windshields. I have a Harley Sportster and am wanting to add a windshield for weekend rides so I'm not constantly getting buffeted by the wind. There seem to be two trains of thought: Go as big as possible to just block all wind or get something like a quarter fair or shaped windshield to direct the airflow around / above you. I really like the looks of the National Cycle Gladiator windshield on my style of bike but it seems pretty small. Anyone have some good experience with windshield selection? If it helps I'm about 6'1" and sit pretty high on the bike.

Here's a link to the National Cycle Windshield:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog/NC_NewProduct_Gladiator.pdf

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I have to put a parking sticker on m bike, it's made for a car so it's reversed such that sticky part has the important info. Is there any clear plate add-ons out there that I could stick the sticker to and bolt on below the plate? I want to avoid sticking it to my windshield.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

its like lava posted:

I have to put a parking sticker on m bike, it's made for a car so it's reversed such that sticky part has the important info. Is there any clear plate add-ons out there that I could stick the sticker to and bolt on below the plate? I want to avoid sticking it to my windshield.

Are you sure you have to put it on? A lot of times, whatever agency you're dealing with will have an allowance for motorcycles and such when it's clear there's no way to meet the requirement. They usually say stuff like "Lower passenger side corner of the front windshield, must be clear of obstructions and easy to read," etc, pretty much all of which is nonsensical on a motorcycle.

In the case of my old university, they just had you buy the decal, but didn't make you display it on the bike. I think they just had a database of which bikes were okay and it was up to the enforcer to either a) check the DB from their little remote device, or b) just not give a gently caress and ignore the bike altogether.

I'd go to the people issuing the decal and ask them what gives. Ask them to come out and show you where you're supposed to attach the sticker. Bonus if your bike has no clear parts to stick it to the backside of, like no windshield. Although I guess most of you guys in here ride little sport bikes with cowlings and such, so you probably have a windshield and that's where they'll want it. Maybe remove the windshield just for that day. v:shobon:v

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What dissolves grip glue? I have cut off my grips but there are huge chunks of grips left on. I have been scraping it off, but I end up taking paint off as well, and thats probably not good.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

blindjoe posted:

What dissolves grip glue? I have cut off my grips but there are huge chunks of grips left on. I have been scraping it off, but I end up taking paint off as well, and thats probably not good.

It really won't matter if you scrape them up, you're just going to put grips right back on. Try out some acetone or something that you've got around - brake cleaner might work really well as well. It goes without saying but don't get any of these on your plastics / paint.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

JP Money posted:

It goes without saying but don't get any of these on your plastics / paint.

Quoting for emphasis, Acetone will gently caress your poo poo up.

I'd start with lighter fluid and a bronze brush, and try brake cleaner if that didn't work.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Rowe posted:

Was hoping to get some insight on windshields. I have a Harley Sportster and am wanting to add a windshield for weekend rides so I'm not constantly getting buffeted by the wind.
Go with a Cafe-style fairing (from the XLCR) - because it looks loving BAD rear end on a Sportster or Softail-style Harley.
Bonus points if you can find a Honda VF-style chin fairing to mount, too.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How come bike companies don't make a KLR650 or DR650, or XL650 specced bike with a twin?

We only get v-stroms, trans-alps, F800GS's etc. Why can't we get a dirt simple, light weight twin that's more dirt orientated?

Sure, you can take the v-strom onto dirt, but it won't go near the places a KLR or DR would. Plus lower ground clearance, cast rims, a non cradle frame etc. The only draw back of my DR is that its thumper 5 speed is kind of a highway killer. I took it on a 1000 KM trip and although it could've been worse, it would've been so much better with the SV650 engine. You'd think companies would make a killing with a lightweight v-twin tough-as-nails bike. Unless they do exist and I'm a retard?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

You'd think companies would make a killing with a lightweight v-twin tough-as-nails bike. Unless they do exist and I'm a retard?

:v:

Edit: Dirt. right.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 4, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MrZig posted:

You'd think companies would make a killing with a lightweight v-twin tough-as-nails bike. Unless they do exist and I'm a retard?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
That's more dirt orientated, sure, but it's hella expensive, and it's a 950cc. It's also apparently 400 pounds dry. What I'm talking about is a bike that's as simple as a KLR, with a 650 twin.

Basically if I could take a KLR650 or DR650 and throw in an v-strom engine, it would be a dream adventure bike. Simple, rugged, better power for highway, yet still torque for offroad, not a huge hambeast and probably cheaper than any of the other offerings.

Is there no market?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those actually go for a song these days used. It's not a KLR you are right, and thats one of the best things you can say about it.

As for what your specifically hoping for? No, I can't think of anything that exists like that. Its a pretty big step up usually from single adventure bike to twin adventure bike. It does make sense when you say it aloud that there should be a market for it, but I guess not here in the states at least...

Though if you took something like a 690 Enduro out for a ride you might decide thats all the adventure bike you ever needed. One of those with a Dakar style fairing and a comfy seat is probably the most awesome bike you could ever leave the house behind on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

That's more dirt orientated, sure, but it's hella expensive, and it's a 950cc. It's also apparently 400 pounds dry. What I'm talking about is a bike that's as simple as a KLR, with a 650 twin.

Basically if I could take a KLR650 or DR650 and throw in an v-strom engine, it would be a dream adventure bike. Simple, rugged, better power for highway, yet still torque for offroad, not a huge hambeast and probably cheaper than any of the other offerings.

Is there no market?

Joke posts aside, no, there's not really a market for it. The closest I've seen is people shoehorning a EX650R engine into a DRZ frame. It makes about a 375 pound "adventure" type bike.

The new triumph tiger is out there too...I mean, what it really comes down to is that if you're a good enough rider, you can hustle a R1200GS, or just about any bike out there (Gnomad and his FZ1 come to mind) when it comes to riding offroad.

Modern bikes can handle a lot more than most people give them credit for. Put some dual sportish style tires on a set of 17s (like the distanzias) and you can definitely go the distance. For awhile I was considering ADVing an SV650 for giggles, and I bet I could have stripped a gen 1 to around 375 pounds wet. Strip off all the extra heavy poo poo, fab up a bash plate to protect the oil filter, and go ADVing with some 80/20 tires on it.

But spiff has it dead on with the 690 Enduro/Rally. It's a 60hp single that's relatively vibe free thanks to the counterbalancer, and you can put it through basically anything. Sure, it's on the expensive side, but it's also a long maintenance interval, 60hp single that weighs 300 pounds. Wet.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 4, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Strip off all the extra heavy poo poo, fab up a bash plate to protect the oil filter, and go ADVing with some 80/20 tires on it.

Edit: Found the one I actually wanted.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

Edit: Found the one I actually wanted.

I... uh, :psyduck:

That's more awesome than it should be.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

:swoon:

:fap:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jabs posted:

:fap:

My god...

My cravings for a traditional supermoto to be a hooligan on have changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's pretty lame compared to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0d3B7MPqUg&feature=related