Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's a BJW deathmatch retrospective floating around out there. some matches:
Exploding Thumbtack Balloons Time Bomb Street Fight Death Match.
Barbwire Danger Net Circus Death Match.
King Of The Death Match Final No Rope Barbwire, Glass & Fire Coffin Cremation Death Match.

and my fave:
Barbwire Baseball Bat, Fluorescent Light Tubes, Nail Cross, Barbwire Spidernet, Fluorescent Light Tubes Platform, Glass Platform, Thumbtacks, Fluorescent Light Tubes Trap, Fluorescent Light Tubes & Barbwire Spiderweb 10 Items Death Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

coconono posted:

There's a BJW deathmatch retrospective floating around out there. some matches:
Exploding Thumbtack Balloons Time Bomb Street Fight Death Match.
Barbwire Danger Net Circus Death Match.
King Of The Death Match Final No Rope Barbwire, Glass & Fire Coffin Cremation Death Match.

and my fave:
Barbwire Baseball Bat, Fluorescent Light Tubes, Nail Cross, Barbwire Spidernet, Fluorescent Light Tubes Platform, Glass Platform, Thumbtacks, Fluorescent Light Tubes Trap, Fluorescent Light Tubes & Barbwire Spiderweb 10 Items Death Match.

The gently caress Japan? Do any of these have plotlines attached, or do people try and kill each other for no reason?

Otherwise, I'm planning a trip to Japan in early January next year, but will just miss the January 4 dome show (arriving 6/7th of January). Firstly, would that be such an amazing shockingly good show that I should try and reorganise my travel plans to go see it? Secondly, closer to the date are there goons here who I can bug to learn the good upcoming cards and placing to get merch?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Wazzu posted:

The gently caress Japan? Do any of these have plotlines attached, or do people try and kill each other for no reason?
Mid-90s to early 00s the scene was ALL about crazy random stipulations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I don't really follow NJPW (or most puro) all that much, but I just found out that Devitt/Strongman happened at G-1 Climax. :lol: Going to watch that

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I somehow clicked to stop following this thread so I lost track.

Wazzu posted:

Firstly, would that be such an amazing shockingly good show that I should try and reorganise my travel plans to go see it?
I tend not to be big on those shows, but then I'm not big on current headliners. January 4th shows in the middle of the last decade were often about goofy Inoki-driven concepts and thus were lacking in good matches. Now the match quality is on par with other big shows.

Regarding deathmatches: the storylines are minimal. Big Japan these days is 'pure sports build' within a context of light tubes and shredded flesh.

Last but not least, new column:
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/10/14/puroresu-pulse-issue-181-autumnal-fallout

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tokyo's main airport is finally getting a massive infusion of new gates for int'l flights, so the cost of going to Japan should plunge over the next year. Go there, before puro dies!

:smith:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Tokyo's main airport is finally getting a massive infusion of new gates for int'l flights, so the cost of going to Japan should plunge over the next year. Go there, before puro dies!

:smith:

That rules. It cost me, I think 1200 round trip when I went.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Now it's time for good idea, bad idea.

Good idea: adding drama to a tag match by doing a spot that 'eliminates' the babyface star.

Bad idea: having said spot be a brainbuster through a table.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IpDNbBMBo#t=12m00s

Makabe had to be stretchered out, it's unknown how serious the damage is

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Are tables normally that low to the ground? That was nasty poo poo.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's a typical Japanese table.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ditch posted:

That's a typical Japanese table.

Yeah, he's just lucky the table actually broke somewhat.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah, he's just lucky the table actually broke somewhat.

I think it might have been better if it didn't... the angle of the rear legs of the table and the wood going to the floor makes a triangle that stops him from rolling over to his back. It's like the table backslides him as he's being driven down.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
He basically landed straight down on his head. Table provided very like break in the fall and probably just made it worse

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFASZAYkFd0
On a lighter note: the description to this.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ditch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFASZAYkFd0
On a lighter note: the description to this.

Oh gently caress just post it all.

quote:

In the late 21st century, an interstellar war between HUSTLE and Terry Gordy Clones is being fought. HUSTLE pilot Toshiaki Kawada and Gordy pilot Terry Gordy engage in a spacecraft battle which results in both crashlanding on Fyrine IV, a strange, dark alien world with a breathable atmosphere, water, and bizarre animal life.

After initial hostilities, the two eventually learn to cooperate in order to survive. They work together to build a shelter for protection against intermittent bombardment by meteorites, and to satisfy their needs for food, water, and warmth. Over a period of years, they learn to overcome their differences, become friends, and learn each other's languages and cultures. Each saves the other's life on at least one occasion.

Kawada, haunted by dreams of spaceships landing on the planet, leaves in search of help. He finds signs of a human presence, but learns that the planet has been periodically visited by human miners who employ Terries as slave labor. He returns to warn Gordy only to discover that Gordy is pregnant (Terry Gordy Clones reproduce asexually with no control over timing of conception).

The combination of a blizzard and attack by one of the planet's predators forces Kawada and Gordy to flee their shelter. To pass the time Gordy teaches Kawada his full ancestry, a necessity if his child is to be accepted into Gordy society. Gordy later dies during the childbirth, but not before making Kawada swear that if he ever escapes the planet to take Gordy's child back to Gordon (the Gordy Homeworld) and recite his full ancestry so he can join Gordy society.

Kawada raises the child Takeshi Morishima as his own. Over the years, Kawada and Morishima form a very close bond, and although the young Gordy refers to Kawada as its 'uncle', its emotional range towards Kawada is as a son would look up to a father — an emotion that Kawada shares as well. Kawwada knows of the mining crews scouring the planet in search of minerals and ore deposits, and he knows that they have little regard for Gordy life, so he remains on guard to keep Morishima from getting captured or killed should they run into any of the miners. However, Morishima does not realize the danger and goes off to get a closer look at such a spacecraft. Although Kawada follows and tries to rescue him, Morishima is abducted by the humans with Kawada hurt and left for dead. A HUSTLE patrol ship finds Kawada anonymous, unrecognizable and apparently dead, and it returns him to the space station where he was formerly based.

On the station, during the funeral ceremony, Kawada awakens when one of the disposal technicians tries to steal the small book that Terry Gordy had given him years before when he first wished to learn the Gordy language. Kawada's former patrol crew vouch for his loyalty to HUSTLE, even after it is discovered that he speaks the language fluently. Sometime later, Kawada is reinstated to duty, but not as a pilot. Unable to enlist assistance to rescue Morishima from the miner villains, Kawada desperately steals a spaceship to rescue Morishima solo. He manages to find and infiltrate the miners' ship. Kawada contacts the Gordy slaves in their own language which convinces them to help him overcome the brutality of the human overseers and eventually reunite with Morishima. Eventually Kawada is also assisted by a HUSTLE crew who pursued him. They finally realize that whatever it was that he experienced while missing in action (MIA) has made him more humane; he no longer hates Gordies.

In the epilogue, Kawada and Morishima return to the Gordy homeworld for Mori's introduction ceremony to the Gordy Holy Council so that it may be accepted into Gordy society. As required and as he promised Terry, Kawada recounts the complete Gordy ancestry before the Holy Council in the traditional ritual, as he was taught by Terry. A narrator explains that years later, when Morishima also has a child and brings it to the Holy Council for the same ritual, the name of "Toshiaki Kawada" was added to the line of Gordy.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Holy poo poo the NJPW channel is pretty much the greatest thing ever. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe Higuchi, the famous AJPW ref and GHC figurehead died. It's kind of cool to think that I got to see him once.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's really sad. :(

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
God got tired of reffing Jumbo vs Misawa himself.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kings of Wrestling get a tag title shot in NOAH next month at Nippon Budokan.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Kings of Wrestling get a tag title shot in NOAH next month at Nippon Budokan.

Any chance?

Even a small one?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Very low, but not completely impossible. They will almost certainly get to beat Sugiura & Saito as a tune-up. Sasaki vs Hero on the 26th. Delirious is on the tour too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'm planning on going to Japan to visit a friend next year, and I'm going to try and plan it so I can catch a wrestling show while I'm there. How soon do they announce events and cards? I really want to see Muta before he retires. I'd also like to see Tajiri. Any suggestions?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Depends on exactly when you're going.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Ditch posted:

Depends on exactly when you're going.

Thinking summer, no exact dates. I'm probably going to plan it around the show, my vacation time is fairly flexible.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Cards are normally available only a couple weeks in advance.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Ditch posted:

Cards are normally available only a couple weeks in advance.

Are the events themselves (as opposed to the cards) announced earlier? Would my best bet just be to pick an All-Japan event and hope that Muta is healthy enough to wrestle/on the card?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It also depends on 'where'. A show in Tokyo means the stars will be there. In the boonies... maybe not.

Locations and venues are often known weeks before the cards but not always.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Doesn't All Japan schedule their Sumo Hall shows pretty far in advance?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

theres a petition for dragon gate to stream infinity for non-japan people & everyone should sign it cause spotfests are cool http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dginfinity/

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Marufuji vs KENTA added to NOAH's Budokan card.

MassRayPer posted:

Doesn't All Japan schedule their Sumo Hall shows pretty far in advance?
Yes. Big Japan also tends to announce most shows a ways out.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Ok, the Sumo Hall sounds like my best bet. I'll look into that. Thanks folks!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Just let me know when you know your target dates and I'll do what I can.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Cool, thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In the end there's not a lot to worry about, if you go to Tokyo you have a 100% chance of wrestling going on, and I'd guess a 50% chance of a somewhat important show from one of the companies.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching KENTA and Atushi Aoki vs. Jack Evans and Extreme Tiger.

The look of disdain on the NOAH guys is loving incredible.

KENTA wants to kill a flippy dude. Evans looks like PAC at first glance.

coconono fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 15, 2010

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/11/18/puroresu-pulse-issue-183-puroresu-102-the-linkening/
This week: LINNNNNNNKS

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Sekimoto, Yoshihito Sasaki & Kawakami vs Okabayashi, Kazuki Hashimoto & Takumi Tsukamoto, Big Japan September 19th:

A whole bunch of ugly japanese guys make weird faces and then challenge each other to roshambo.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Wazzu posted:

Sekimoto, Yoshihito Sasaki & Kawakami vs Okabayashi, Kazuki Hashimoto & Takumi Tsukamoto, Big Japan September 19th:

A whole bunch of ugly japanese guys make weird faces and then challenge each other to roshambo.

Sekimoto and Okabayashi are on opposite sides of the ring? Did their tag team break up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They broke up after losing the tag titles last December.