Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mmmm, I was more saying that I actually have to use an item here and there at like 20 hours in. It's reminiscent of some RPGs where you can altogether ignore items because magic tends to be "enough" (both healers can get a full heal that doubles as a revive+full heal and a scaling party-wide heal very early in the game soooooo yeah).

Although since the osmosis skills seem to leech like 150 mana of my 400 mana pools, it seems that problem is altogether solved.

Also I still find the fact that Osama Bin Laden is a secret boss to be kind of disturbing :X

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

Who makes them and how do they find the time, especially when entire developers have been scaling back their own RPGs these days presumably due to time and money constraints?
Indie RPGs: Sprites, no deadlines, no FMVs, doesn't really need to "appeal" to anybody, so there's no executive walking in halfway through development and going "Hey, this game is swell, but we need the protagonist to be in his late teens. K, later guys."
Console RPGs: 3d Models most of the time, Deadlines, FMVs most of the time, so on and so forth.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Endorph posted:

Indie RPGs: Sprites, no deadlines, no FMVs, doesn't really need to "appeal" to anybody, so there's no executive walking in halfway through development and going "Hey, this game is swell, but we need the protagonist to be in his late teens. K, later guys."
Console RPGs: 3d Models most of the time, Deadlines, FMVs most of the time, so on and so forth.

Also very few indie RPG's involve people actually making their own engine or doing any significant amount of programming. They generally just use some rpgmaker-type stuff. A lot of them don't even make their own art, and just rip off artwork from SNES games.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Endorph posted:

How long do the people who make good indie RPGs usually spend on them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

How long do the people who make good indie RPGs usually spend on them?
It probably varies, but one of the indie RPGs linked in this thread mentions in it's FAQ that the guy who made it worked on it for 8 or so years, and I imagine that isn't too extreme of a case.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.

Bigass Moth posted:

Here is what I am looking for in an RPG. Please tell me if anything recent fits the bill.

I want a traditional turn-based game, with a realistic non-anime story. Is there anything in the world like this?

I just read a few pages, but there is a good indie company called Spiderweb Software - the guy has made a ton of games, and they're all old school turn-based RPGs.

I loved the Exile series when I was younger, and probably put in 80+ hours to Exile 3 (the Avernum series is a remake).

For anyone jonesing for the days when games were hard and the world was huge and you had to plan things out - these games are the answer.

Also, there is a game called Realmz that is now free as well - very solid multi-scenario old-school RPG game.

They're both worth checking out if you used to play any of the old, tough classic games as kid.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Speaking of indie games, whatever happened to that bob rpg being made for the DS? Last I head the guy locked himself in a room when nintendo wouldn't give him the software to sell it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Badvertising posted:

I just read a few pages, but there is a good indie company called Spiderweb Software - the guy has made a ton of games, and they're all old school turn-based RPGs.
I loved the Exile series when I was younger, and probably put in 80+ hours to Exile 3 (the Avernum series is a remake).

I probably put 80+ hours into the DEMO of Exile 2. It wasn't until years later that I could actually afford to buy the full versions of the games.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

casual poster posted:

Speaking of indie games, whatever happened to that bob rpg being made for the DS? Last I head the guy locked himself in a room when nintendo wouldn't give him the software to sell it.

Pretty sure nothing came out of it. Last I heard from Bob he was hanging out with Tim Rogers or something.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I probably put 80+ hours into the DEMO of Exile 2. It wasn't until years later that I could actually afford to buy the full versions of the games.

Oh yeah, I remember putting in about 50 hours to Exile 3's demo, and then realizing that I hadn't even gone underground yet (I'd somehow missed that at the beginning of the game). I ended up buying it make an attempt to finish it (can't remember if I did, so probably not).

Then Blades of Exile came out and I wanted it, but didn't have money (I was young). I remember I found it on a random, 56k-run Hotline server way back in the day, but the download cut out before I could finish and the server never came back.

For how huge the game world is, I can't believe how well written and intricate the games are. Exile 3 is the one I put the most time in to, and that game is like Ultima VII worthy, in terms of things you can do, secrets, overall game world size, and number of outcomes.

Goddamn, I might have to download Avernum 3 and give it another go.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Goreld posted:

Also very few indie RPG's involve people actually making their own engine or doing any significant amount of programming. They generally just use some rpgmaker-type stuff. A lot of them don't even make their own art, and just rip off artwork from SNES games.

Does anybody know if Everlong uses original graphics? I'm tempted to play this but I won't if all the artwork has been ripped off; consider it a basic test of quality before I spend 80 hours or whatever the hell

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Badvertising posted:

Oh yeah, I remember putting in about 50 hours to Exile 3's demo, and then realizing that I hadn't even gone underground yet (I'd somehow missed that at the beginning of the game). I ended up buying it make an attempt to finish it (can't remember if I did, so probably not).

Then Blades of Exile came out and I wanted it, but didn't have money (I was young). I remember I found it on a random, 56k-run Hotline server way back in the day, but the download cut out before I could finish and the server never came back.

For how huge the game world is, I can't believe how well written and intricate the games are. Exile 3 is the one I put the most time in to, and that game is like Ultima VII worthy, in terms of things you can do, secrets, overall game world size, and number of outcomes.

Goddamn, I might have to download Avernum 3 and give it another go.

I played the poo poo out of the original Exile back in college on my System 7.5 Macintosh. That was a great game, though the interface was a little clunky. Can't get Exile or Avernum working well on my newer PC though--it keeps hanging and crashing, unfortunately. Too bad because I'd happily pay for it again.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 12, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, most of the sprite-work is ripped. The Emperor is like a palette swap of Kefka's sprite with some eye touch ups. The Twin Jesters use the Kefka Battle artwork.

I've only been able to place maybe half of the battle artwork personally, and I've played a loooot of SNES RPGs in my time.

I have not really been able to place where the portraits came from, so those might be custom.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xythar posted:

Where do all these apparently huge indie RPGs come from, anyway? Who makes them and how do they find the time, especially when entire developers have been scaling back their own RPGs these days presumably due to time and money constraints? I'm impressed, but puzzled.

The Everlong guy has been working on it for a ridiculous amount of time (on the order of 6+ years, I believe), so it's no surprise the game is huge. Spirit Engine 2 took around 5 years for Mark Pay to make, but it's also only 10 hours long and he made everything in the game by hand (except for the music).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Goreld posted:

It's to be expected since most of them are solo projects. While it's obviously extremely easy to use RPG Maker, it's still massively time consuming and simply recoloring/touching up stolen graphics already takes a looong time unless you're making like a 3 hour long game. Imagine making your own and your own music.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Going to recommend Drakensang (Archived Thread) for people looking for a NWN fix. It's a 2008 German RPG with a German DnDish ruleset that was localized in early 2009. A prequel and its expansion, Drakensang: The River of Time and Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret, are going to be released in early 2011 in the US/UK although RoT is already out in English in the Benelux region.

edit: oh look it's on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/12640/

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 6, 2010

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gyoru posted:

Going to recommend Drakensang (Archived Thread) for people looking for a NWN fix. It's a 2008 German RPG with a German DnDish ruleset that was localized in early 2009. A prequel and its expansion, Drakensang: The River of Time and Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret, are going to be released in early 2011 in the US/UK although RoT is already out in English in the Benelux region.

Drakensang is really, really terrible and you should only play it if your tolerance for RPGs is tremendously high.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Node posted:

Drakensang is really, really terrible and you should only play it if your tolerance for RPGs is tremendously high.
Oh, how so? Gameplay-wise or otherwise?

Ardhanari
Mar 23, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

It gets pretty tedious. I made it as far as getting into the first major city and doing a few quests there before I just gave up, and I'd already spent hours and hours on it (you start in a quarantine camp outside the city, have to wander around doing this for this guy and that for that guy to get people to vouch for you, etcetera etcetera). Everything seemed to be kind of on rails, and nothing was special enough that it warranted forcing the player to go through it. I understand the mechanics are a faithful conversion of Das Schwarze Auge so if you like fiddling with skill ratings and so forth it does have that going for it.

The NWN comparison is a good one, although I'd call Drakensang resoundingly mediocre as opposed to the NWN official campaign's just plain bad.

Ardhanari fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 6, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Badvertising posted:

For anyone jonesing for the days when games were hard and the world was huge and you had to plan things out - these games are the answer.

Also, there is a game called Realmz that is now free as well - very solid multi-scenario old-school RPG game.

They're both worth checking out if you used to play any of the old, tough classic games as kid.

Something to note: Blades of Exile has been open sourced to add in compatibility for modern systems, and is now free.

http://code.google.com/p/openexile/

I've had a great nostalgic time with it, although I wish they'd add in a feature to increase the number of tiles displayed, it feels a bit claustrophobic on modern resolutions.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

I have not really been able to place where the portraits came from, so those might be custom.

I'm almost sure they come with RPG Maker.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Drakensang really does feel a lot like NWN2 in terms of the engine and movement. Combat seems incredibly slow and clunky to me, but I've never been able to make it far enough into it to see if things ever start to really speed up, I just know that fighting characters just kind of bob around a bit and occasionally swing their sword or fire their bow after a very generous pause, similar to nwn2 at low levels. Campaign and characters seemed pretty bog standard fantasy, complete with badly translated, badly voice acted generic dialogue.

I'd say that there's two primary things you really need to have a high tolerance for if you want to play this series:

The first is STATS. Lots of stats. Stats that still don't always make a great deal of sense to me. You get all sorts of choices in terms of skills, bonuses, attack powers, and so on, all of it affected by and affecting your equipment choices, and you'll probably have to do some reading up at the wiki to get a firm grasp of it.

The second thing is bloom. If you like bloom you'll love this game! It occasionally reaches the sort of levels that would make even Guild Wars take a step back and say "Hey, c'mon now.."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Probably both. The gameplay is straight NWN-esque but with a different ruleset on top. The rule-set that it uses is very muddled and it is not explained very well at all in-game. There's a lot of stats that look like they should be handled in normal D&D fashion but they're not always handled how you'd expect and I believe there are even one or two cases where the translation misleads you. It kind of gets annoying at times when you are staring at the dice console wondering why your modifiers aren't adding up. Either way, if you are good with D&D systems and reversing cause/effects via the dice log, you'll probably "crack the code" and be just fine in the long run. I think most of this was covered in the archive thread, at least as far as the most unintuitive skills and which combat skills are useless.

The game is also counter-intuitive when it comes to its classes and mechanics. For example, the best combat caster is actually the healer class because it has built in mana regeneration or whatever. Also most of the classes at character creation are garbage, there's only really like 3 "good" choices. If you do play, use the archive thread. If you can't access it, ask one of us to pull the "STARTING TIPS" stuff because there's some really unintuitive poo poo that can really frustrate new comers (lock picking for instance).

The story is about on par with the NWN1 OC. Nothing really good, very predictable, very ordinary epic on rails. It has decent'ish graphics (it's a 2008 game I think) but has Guild Wars levels of bloom. I actually remember the VA and stuff being tolerable at the very least. The animations are pretty well done since it was all motion-captured.

Probably the biggest thing going for it is that it's actually a german-rpg that didn't launch with a thousand bugs when it came to the west. It was actually really stable when I played it.

Oh and this explains a lot of the stats/skills/etc from the ruleset POV: http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12047

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I actually found Drakensang pretty fun but I also liked both NWN/NWN2. But like most of my games, I haven't finished it so I don't know if it drags on after a while or anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like Neverwinter Nights, Drakensang is based off a table top RPG so it's pretty difficult to document the 300 pages of rules into a single manual or translate them into a game. Drakensang takes fewer liberties with the rules than NWN does which feels less like Dungeons & Dragons and more like Diablo & Dragons.

That said, check out Realms of Arkania (available for cheap on Good Old Games) to see where the series came from. It was a really solid trilogy of old school RPGs that made a lot of advances to the genre way before anyone else. It also has some deep subsystems and hidden mechanics like catching a cold if you sleep outside without a blanket.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

I'm almost sure they come with RPG Maker.

Naw, but they're so common in RPG Maker games they might as well be. They're facesets by a dude(s?) named Mack & Blue, who contributed some of the most popular resources used in RPG Maker projects. Some might be edited, but for the most part it seems like they used pure Mack & Blue where face portraits are concerned.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Megaflare posted:

I actually found Drakensang pretty fun but I also liked both NWN/NWN2. But like most of my games, I haven't finished it so I don't know if it drags on after a while or anything.

You didn't miss anything, I think it might have the worst ending for an RPG in history.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

Since I've finished Exit Fate, I decided to play this. All I have to say is holy poo poo. I love it, even though I really hate basketball and the save point dialogue is hilarious, albeit concerning.

Anyone know where he copied that insane poo poo from? I simply must find it.

Battles are also really well polished, and the music is wonderful, but the overworld sprites could've been improved in some situations.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
I'm in the mood for a new RPG and I've knocked my choices down to two: Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga and Fallout: New Vegas. Now, I know one's an Euro-RPG and the other is American and I know what I'm getting into for both, but does Divinity II's other areas stay fairly large or is the area that's featured in the demo the largest you'll find? And is the content in Flames of Vengeance comparable to the main campaign?

I did some reading up on FO:NV earlier today and it looks like it's a much bigger game than FO3, content-wise. Is this really the case? Is the game any harder than FO3 (with the exception of Hardcore mode)? Is the PC version glitcher than the PC version of 3?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexual rickshaw posted:

I'm in the mood for a new RPG and I've knocked my choices down to two: Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga and Fallout: New Vegas. Now, I know one's an Euro-RPG and the other is American and I know what I'm getting into for both, but does Divinity II's other areas stay fairly large or is the area that's featured in the demo the largest you'll find? And is the content in Flames of Vengeance comparable to the main campaign?

I did some reading up on FO:NV earlier today and it looks like it's a much bigger game than FO3, content-wise. Is this really the case? Is the game any harder than FO3 (with the exception of Hardcore mode)? Is the PC version glitcher than the PC version of 3?

Get New Vegas. It's incredibly good. It is glitchy, but the quality is enough that you can overlook it. It has a ridiculous amount of content too.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is Divinity II Redux ever supposed to get a 360 release? My friend played the original on PC and enjoyed it, but I'd like to give the 360 version another go if they released the improved version on it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

sexual rickshaw posted:

Recommending New Vegas also. I'm about 90 hours in and just now getting around to beating the game, and there's plenty of stuff I never got around to doing.

Difficulty wise, it's about the same, only instead of the hard enemies being ridiculous bullet sponges like in FO3, they hit like trucks, but can be taken down in 2 or 3 hits with the right weapons and ammo.

While the game is pretty drat glitchy, there are mods that fix a lot of the glitches in the game.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

sexual rickshaw posted:

Different styles of games really, you are in for a different type of treat with each. New Vegas you know what you are in for. Fallout 3 with a better story/dialogue/perks etc. You'll get hours out of this game. Divinity 2, you are in for a more action rpg game with some really nice looking areas, great dialog/writing, and lots of fun quests. Also you turn into a goddamn dragon and get a super fortress to be based out of. It's a lot of fun and a lot of content for the asking price. I like them both but I'm totally going to have to recommend Divinity 2 over NV. They are both great, but Divinity will give you a nice fresh fun feeling and some solid hours of gameplay.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Just wanna say, I just downloaded Spirit Engine 2 and WOW. Am I impressed. This is really well-done, beautiful graphics, an interesting and unique battle system that adds new layers to ATB systems, and a rewarding difficulty curve. The writing is top-notch too. I'm only just starting in, just beat the first real boss, but if the game can keep up this level of quality, I'll be happy all the way.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thanks for reviving this, I was afraid too.
I started playing Ys 7 and it seems to be great so far. Lots of grinding to be able to beat the bosses, but besides that, great.
Also playing Demons souls on my ps3, great game as well.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

fivegears4reverse posted:

See, it's this poo poo that pisses me off. I would gladly pay more money for Front Mission 3 on the US PSN than Front Mission Evolved is actually worth. I really would, and yet it's only available in Japan and Europe. What the gently caress, Sony/SquareEnix.

FM3 was releasd on the US PSN sometime in the past few weeks, although I don't know when exactly. Now, if only they'd somehow convert FM4 and 5 over to PS3...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

softcorps posted:

FM3 was releasd on the US PSN sometime in the past few weeks, although I don't know when exactly. Now, if only they'd somehow convert FM4 and 5 over to PS3...

I liked FM4 but it never held my interest like FM3 did. That internet simulation thing was awesome, it was the SRPG equivalent of having a world to explore and getting optional story out of it.

That said FM5 has an English patch you can apply to it. If your PC is capable of PS2 emulation, it's easy - just apply the patch to the ISO and play. If it's not you're a bit more limited - I think you'll need a modded PS2, so that you can patch the ISO, burn it to DVD, then play that in your PS2.

Now that my PC can handle it I'm thinking about picking it up eventually, lots of actual PC games to play first though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really liked FM4's system where your units could add fire support for other allies, and also how you could kick in your rocket shoes or whatever and go way further if you went only in a straight line.

Still, FM1 is my favorite. Gameplay's a bit rougher but I love the plot. You find out you're basically trying to fight the Military-Industrial complex, and the only guy who does anything in the end is the most useless guy on your team.

Also the main character isn't even the best pilot, which is refreshing (Sakata owns you).

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf
Three (somewhat) unknown (A)RPGs I really enjoyed: all three were released in 1999/2000 in order to cash in on Diablo 2's pre-release hype + its constant release delays, but in the end I actually had more fun with these than I did with D2.

Darkstone: offers a coop mechanic (you always play in a party of 2), random quests, plenty of loot + a lot of skills & spells for all character classes. The random dungeon blocks are also pretty fun, with spike traps everywhere. Unfortunately the graphics were horrible even in 1999 & the voice acting is pretty bad too, but I still enjoyed the game.

Nox: Westwood title. Not too much loot (but plenty of skills & summons for the 2 magic-based classes), but it offers very tight, unique gameplay. Extremely fast-paced and fluid combat + every class has a completely different storyline. No randomization though. Could have become a great franchise.

Revenant: the least known of the bunch. Has one of my favorite skill systems (basically, you combine talismans to invent new spells) and really nice animations for its age. (unique combo / kill animations for random mobs) Also the only ARPG I know with good keyboard controls. No replay value though.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a game with a good sense of character progression / loot progression? I've played most of the usual suspects including most MMOs. I have most consoles covered.