Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

KillerJunglist posted:

Listening now, downloading afterwards to listen more later. Very nicely done!

Humpert posted:

This is a pretty drat awesome mix and it's going straight to my mp3 for the long journeys to and from college!

Thanks guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

Welp, I gone and made a Dub Step mix (holds up fist in hopes for a fist-bump from dantheman650).

I did it for a friend, but ended up really enjoying it by the end. I have only been toying with Dub Step, but this mix really kind of got me into it.

Here, take all you like, but listen to all you take:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1988rhdctm0pkjq/DubMix.mp3

:):respek::D

I've never heard that D1 track before and it's killer. Really great transition into the Techsteppa track which is sweet as well. If you do another dubstep mix, I'd love to see you mix it up a bit more - tracks 6-11 were the strong point for me. God I love the sample in Shaolin though..."Now you are going to die" - what is that from? Also, Archangel is one of my favorite tracks ever and it was a joy to hear it there in the background near the end. The last track is nice as well.

Also, yeah, get a Soundcloud account, only takes a few minutes and it's completely awesome.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

dantheman650 posted:

:):respek::D

I've never heard that D1 track before and it's killer. Really great transition into the Techsteppa track which is sweet as well. If you do another dubstep mix, I'd love to see you mix it up a bit more - tracks 6-11 were the strong point for me. God I love the sample in Shaolin though..."Now you are going to die" - what is that from? Also, Archangel is one of my favorite tracks ever and it was a joy to hear it there in the background near the end. The last track is nice as well.

Also, yeah, get a Soundcloud account, only takes a few minutes and it's completely awesome.

Thanks! I really appreciate the comments.
I've started getting a lot more dubstep from various sources (buying, trading with other DJ friends of mine) and I am starting on a second mix.

I love the more break-beaty tracks on your last mix, I'm trying to find more tracks with solid beats like that (Especially tracks like "Reach Inside". I adore the vocals in that one... probably the best use of auto-tune in recent history).

And thank you for mentioning the transition from Ongie Bongie to Ruffnex. I was worried that I extended Ongie Bongie too long and it would sound bad or repetitive. I'm relieved that another DJ approved! :D

Also, I too would love to know where the quote from Shaolin comes from! I watch a TON of old kung-fu movies, but I've only ever been able to find like one or two quotes from my scratch records or songs.

Fake edit: I did hop on soundcloud recently, just need to upload this n' that!

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
http://soundcloud.com/punktematrix/punktematrix-eternal-mix-set-from-eternity-2010

Here's my set from Eternity 2010, an annual Heaven and Hell themed event here where I live. I played the Hell room.

Tracklist:

1. Downlink - Against the Machines (Original Mix)
2. Filthstift - Its Simple
3. Davr - The Elephant Stomp
4. Decree - Death Pig (Squitty Bubbler First Cut Promo)
5. Bar 9 - Extort
6. Chasing Shadows - ILL - Original Mix
7. NiT GriT - "Prituri Se Planinata" by Stellamara (NiT GriT Remix)
8. Natisse - Follow Me (The Prototype Remix)
9. J.Rabbit - Ninja Gaiden
10. Reso - Spooky
11. Borgore - Borgore Ina Trouble
12. Reso - Filter Tip (320 Dubplate)
13. NiT GriT - Squits and Giggles
14. Foreign Beggars - Seven Figure Swagger (Bar9 Remix)
15. 16 Bit - M Dot Mosley
16. Broken Note - Zealot
17. Atreus - Born to Kill
18. Bassnectar - Art of Revolution (6Blocc Remix)
19. Gridlok - Hidden Threat
20. Fine Cut Bodies - Beaver Blink - Ooah Remix
21. Roni Size - Strictly Social (Nu:Tone Remix)
22. Concord Dawn - Raining Blood
23. Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast Remix)
24. beats antique - Beats Antique - Roustabouts (Bassnectar Remix)
25. Hadouken - Turn The Lights Out (Spor Remix)
26. Black Sun Empire - Benjie (Rawthang remix)
27. Black Sun Empire - Arrakis
28. Eye D - Unicorn MF (Black Sun Empire Remix)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

KillerJunglist posted:

Now this, I like this. It's so smoooooooooooooth! Nice to hear some nice rocksteady beats in this too. Anything else by this guy?

Oh, and sorry for the derail earlier, here is something else I made... more oldschool. I'll try to get some stuff on soundcloud by next week and post those links too. I know it's a pain to always have to download everything.

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mpej5hrbg26jk0p/BreakBeatsMix.mp3
Name: I Can't Breakdance, But I Can Make Other People
Old-rear end songs used:
1. Drop the Boom - Freestylers
2. Keep on Dancing - Black Noise
3. Old School Scat - Southside Rockers (Interspersed: Renegade Master - WildChild)
4. Def Madley - Zeb Roc Ski
5. What People Do for Money - Divine Sounds
6. Egypt Egypt - Egyptian Lover
7. It’s Automatic - Freestyle
8. Tom’s Diner (remix) - Anon vs. Susan Vega
9. Electric Rain dance - Electric Indian
10 . Last Bongo in Brighton - DJ Format
11. Al-Naafiysh (The Soul) - Hashim
12. Breakers Revenge - Arthur Baker
13. Set it Off - Big Daddy Kane
14. Clear - Cybotron
15. Bass Mechanic (DJ Icey Remix) - Bass Mekanik
16. Breaking Beats - DJ Scratch
17. Cassius 99 (radio edit) - Cassius
18. NY is Good - BS2000
19. Treat ‘em Right - Chubb Rock
20. Boogi Night - DJ Doc
21. Zebster Rock - Zeb Roc Ski
22. Welcome to the New World - Cutmaster GB
23. One for the Treble - Davy DMX
24. B Boy Lessons - Cutmaster GB
25. Letter to the Better (remix) - Master Ace
26. Juice (Know the Ledge) - Erik B. and Rakim
27. New Bell - Manu Dibango
Stinger from Three Mcs and One DJ - Beastie Boys

N-Joy

Edit:

Gah, I'm so slow sometimes.

Holy poo poo I cannot wait to listen to this.

I did a mix a very long time ago from all old school electro / Miami bass. It's not technically perfect, but I may just post it cause it's a fun mix.

Bones - awesome stuff as usual with your White Gold mix!

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Here's my latest minimal mix. Recorded last night.

http://soundcloud.com/djhaloeight/october-29th-2010

I suppose I'll make up a tracklist sooner or later :v:

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Made my first mix ever in Ableton since I was bored. This is all over the place and some of transitions dont work at all while others do. Also could of warped tracks better. Lots of melee beats in it.

http://soundcloud.com/punkjaso/punkjaso-1st-mix

Tracklist:
Warehouse - No Funk
Vitalic - Poison Lips
Caribou - Sun
Drake - Over (Melee Beats Remix)
Of Montreal - A Girl Named Hello
Fly Like A G6 (Melee Beats Remix)
Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand (Fare Soldi Remix)
All American Rejects - Swing Swing
Duck Sauce - Nasty
Discodeine - Singular
Hot Chips - Colours (Fred Falke Remix)
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal (The Twelves Remix)
Beautiful Bend - Boogie Motion
Yacht - Summer Song
Sebastian Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Remix)
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
Four Tet - Love Cry
Beach Boys - Heroes & Villains
M.I.A. - Boyz
Melee Beats - These Memories
Fiery Furnances - Single Again
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Every Brothers - Cathy's Clown
The Fresh & Onlys - Play It Strange
El Perro Del Mar - God Knows

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Peacebone posted:

Made my first mix ever in Ableton since I was bored. This is all over the place and some of transitions dont work at all while others do. Also could of warped tracks better. Lots of melee beats in it.

http://soundcloud.com/punkjaso/punkjaso-1st-mix

Tracklist:
Warehouse - No Funk
Vitalic - Poison Lips
Caribou - Sun
Drake - Over (Melee Beats Remix)
Of Montreal - A Girl Named Hello
Fly Like A G6 (Melee Beats Remix)
Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand (Fare Soldi Remix)
All American Rejects - Swing Swing
Duck Sauce - Nasty
Discodeine - Singular
Hot Chips - Colours (Fred Falke Remix)
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal (The Twelves Remix)
Beautiful Bend - Boogie Motion
Yacht - Summer Song
Sebastian Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Remix)
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
Four Tet - Love Cry
Beach Boys - Heroes & Villains
M.I.A. - Boyz
Melee Beats - These Memories
Fiery Furnances - Single Again
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Every Brothers - Cathy's Clown
The Fresh & Onlys - Play It Strange
El Perro Del Mar - God Knows

I am a big fan of cross-genre tracks from all time periods to make a mix. It shows a versatility of DJing that many overlook, and it kind of hearkens back to the roots of DJing, before neat little genres that were made to mix into each other even existed.

I do have to agree that some of the transitions are a little... choppy. Be careful where vocals begin and end. Although some of the mix-points were off, most of the transitions themselves were pretty good.

I don't know if you are looking for advice, but I would say that if you are going to use older songs (like Cathy's Clown), make your own extended mix of it before mixing so you can more smoothly transition into it (you know, just loop a drum beat at the beginning and end... or even do a full on remix).

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
On my website there's now a nerdy Drum&Bass mix, a chillout mixtape and some European tech house for those who like these kinds of things

http://perrymix.com

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

KillerJunglist posted:

I am a big fan of cross-genre tracks from all time periods to make a mix. It shows a versatility of DJing that many overlook, and it kind of hearkens back to the roots of DJing, before neat little genres that were made to mix into each other even existed.

I do have to agree that some of the transitions are a little... choppy. Be careful where vocals begin and end. Although some of the mix-points were off, most of the transitions themselves were pretty good.

I don't know if you are looking for advice, but I would say that if you are going to use older songs (like Cathy's Clown), make your own extended mix of it before mixing so you can more smoothly transition into it (you know, just loop a drum beat at the beginning and end... or even do a full on remix).

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I really appreciate it and yeah I'd like to be able to mix stuff from all over but have it be super smooth.

In Ableton I kept my the main bpm at 125 because that's what the majority of my tracks were around but if I were to want to change tempos a bit in the mix would it be wise to change the main bpm or do you just keep the same bpm and warp the tracks around that because usually that makes it sound artifacty and bad. Also if I did that how would I do so without it affecting the warping of the previous tracks.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

Peacebone posted:

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I really appreciate it and yeah I'd like to be able to mix stuff from all over but have it be super smooth.

In Ableton I kept my the main bpm at 125 because that's what the majority of my tracks were around but if I were to want to change tempos a bit in the mix would it be wise to change the main bpm or do you just keep the same bpm and warp the tracks around that because usually that makes it sound artifacty and bad. Also if I did that how would I do so without it affecting the warping of the previous tracks.

You can automate tempo changes in the 'master' lane. You can also choose to not warp the tracks; you may have to pick a different spot to blend them, but that might work.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Perry posted:

On my website there's now a nerdy Drum&Bass mix, a chillout mixtape and some European tech house for those who like these kinds of things

http://perrymix.com

Your description for the d&b mix on that website confuses me. You seem to be annoyed with d&b producers for not sticking to simple percussion intros (what, you don't like them actually trying to make music instead of just tools for djs?), and yet I know for a fact that every single track on that mix has at least a simple hi-hat intro. Let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick, I'm just not sure what your gripe is here.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The main thing I like about drum and bass is how it remains easy to beatmatch without being too formulaic (unlike psytrance which often has outright unmixable intros)

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Perry's Website posted:

Drum & Bass is a very different beast from the stuff I usually mix. Unlike the many different syncopations of House in all its variants, you can rely on one thing in a dnb track: there will be a snare on the 2nd and 4th beat. You’d think that would make them very easy to mix, but no: where club tracks such as House and Trance have a decent lead-in beat that you can use for beatmatching and a lead-out that you can use for loops and phrasing, apparently Drum & Bass producers have unanimously decided that they’d rather have none of that fancy bullshit and start/end every track in either a flurry of ambient noise, a string that deliberately clashes with everything else or just sample an intro outright.

First, I liked the mix. It has a nice variety and good flow. At 40 minutes it worked pretty well, although I would have liked to hear a few more transitions.

This may or may not be obvious, but Drum and Bass is my main style for playing live and making computer aided mix's (should be evidenced by my name and the fact I more often call it "Jungle", the older name for the genre). I just wanted to point out a couple of things from the above quote:
First off, yes, I read the beginning and totally understand that this is a personal rant and may not be 100% accurate, but still... really? No intros? Snare on every 2 and 4?

DnB tracks tend to have complex intros, that I will give you. Some just blast right in and others will have a high-hat every first beat with nothing else. Often times you can tell just by the artist what kind of intro you are going to get (Concord Dawn, for example, almost always used a long intro of high hats). Being biased, I think it makes for way more interesting transitions, as the tracks do not degrade down to just a beat before picking up again.

As for the snares at 2 and 4, that is true mostly of rock-steady and jump-up type beats. Off-snare beats, where it hits on 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 are common, especially by artists like Future Cut. It also depends on the sub-genre, be it Ragga, Hardcore (Darkstep), Melodic (Atmospheric), Techstep, or whatever.

As a side note, I am working on a Ragga mix that hopefully will be done by the end of this week (I'm finishing a rather silly mix for a friend first... I only used songs with the word "boom" in them, be it artists, title or album). I'll get that up as soon as it's done.

Edit: No offense taken, I just wanted to try to explain a bit more about my favorite style is all. I've been playing with DnB for a long time (almost a decade) so I thought I'd offer some of my personal insight into it. I hope I didn't come off as being confrontational, I really just was trying to give some information from a long-time Junglist!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 3, 2010

Perry
Jul 18, 2004

OH SHI
That shouldn't have come off as having a gripe at all. I like the genre, but coming from a mostly house background, I only started listening to dnb when I started that mix and I have the utmost respect for people who can do that in a live environment. I likely haven't been exposed to the other styles you mention because my source for tracks was beatport's "suggest others like this" option. Meant no offense.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The recording of my opening set from last Friday night at the Migs/Papp haunted "house" party from the main floor of City Hall Amphitheater here in Denver. Clocks in at right about 2 hours.

Listen: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-city-hall-2010-10-29
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-city-hall-2010-10-29/download

Tracklisting

01. Trickski - Pill Collins [Suol]
02. Tornado Wallace - Swimmin' [Delusions of Grandeur]
03. Ilija Rudman - See (Drop Out Orchestra Remix) [MB Disco]
04. 6th Borough Project - Hang On [Instruments of Rapture]
05. Be - All The Thrills [Wolf Music]
06. Loin Brothers - Garden of Vangulf (Tornado Wallace Remix) [Future Classic]
07. Archie Bronson Outfit - Hoola (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) [Domino]
08. 6th Borough Project - Miss World (Ooft! Remix) [Delusions of Grandeur]
09. Goldwill - Nachtzug (Night Train Edit) [Dessous]
10. Tigerskin - Loop Back In Time [Ladies and Gentlemen]
11. Karol XVII & MB Valence - Maruda (Gorge's Summer Vibes Remix) [Loco]
12. Mic Newman - The Cause [murmur]
13. V.Rotz - Bodylove (Oren Bi Remix) [Neovinyl]
14. Jinder - Youth Blood (Eric Ericksson Remix) [Trouble & Bass]
15. Fish Go Deep - The Cure and the Cause (Dennis Ferrer Remix) [Soul Heaven]
16. Icasol - Givin' It Up feat. Capitol A [Pulver]
17. Gavin Herlihy - Reality Maybe [Cocoon]
* Blade Runner Blush Response
18. Office Gossip - Var. III Dub [Dark Energy]
19. Chopstick & Till Von Sein - Description Of A Smile [Suol]
20. Bas Amro - Everywhere feat. Gina [Katchuli]
21. Dual Method - Drum Slave (Deep Mix) [Resopal Schallware]
22. Gorge - Keya [8bit]
23. Yves Murasca - Happy (Karol XVII & MB Valence Loco Dub) [Milk & Sugar]

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 3, 2010

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Streaming some darkish techno right now.

Edit: no longer

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 3, 2010

Spam Man
Nov 21, 2005

Spam Spam Spam... I DONT LIKE SPAM!
I know I haven't posted here in a while, been extremely busy.... anyways HERES SOME CONTENT!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/817102027b5c5cf6/

Phiction : Eat Sleep Dance

1. Swing Kids - Nonsense
2. Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand
3. Mark Broom - Gap
4. Green Velvet - La La Land (Santiago & Bushido Remix)
5. Wolfgang Garther & Mark Knight - Conscindo
6. Marcos Carnaval & Gio Di Leva - Do Pai
7. Fatboy Slim - Star 69 (Thomas Gold Remix)
8. Kaskade & EDX - Don't Stop Dancing
9. Faithless - Sun To Me
10. Herry Romero, Junior Sanchez - Where you are (Steve Angello Re-Edit)
11. Caspa - Where's my money (Jack Beats Edit)
12. Hardwell & Chuckie - Move it 2 the Drum
13. Katy B & Benga - Katy On A Mission
14. Twin Pack - Funky Beats
15. Sebastian Lazarro & Maurizio Gubellini - Mas Que Block Off (Supreme1 Edit)

P.S. Dennis Ferrer should have been on djmag top 100 djs, Jus sayin'

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Spam Man posted:

I know I haven't posted here in a while, been extremely busy.... anyways HERES SOME CONTENT!

This mix is so much fun. I think I've listened to it three times already! Downloaded and sharing with friends.

Okay, Here is my Ragga mix, all finished and ready to go:
Called: Dread (A Ragga mix)
Takes: 58 minutes and some seconds
Stream: http://i.mixcloud.com/CEgJV
Down: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jby18yh9tij3uk9/Raggamix.mp3
Tracks:
1. Blackstar & Top Cat - Champion DJ (Junglist RMX)
2. Herbin' USA - White Label
3. Drum Unit - Rise
4. Mr. Activ - Love is Here
5. Scientist & Roots Radics - Lost and Found
6. FX909 - Kung Fu Man Dub
7. Chanel 2 & Goldstar - Kinston Town
8. Visionary - Girlfriend
9. 4 Corners Crew - Hold Us Down
10. Utah Jazz - Riddim Track
11. Top Cat - Nah Lef Me Spliff
12. Cutworks - Speakin
13. FX909 - Darling
14. Chanel 2 & Goldstar - Must Come a Road
15. Ray Keith (RMX) - Police in Helicopter
16. Aphrodite - All Over Me
17. Capleton - Duppy Man
18. Congo Natty - Jungle Ragga

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY
I just bought a VCI-100. The first thing I did was mashup Scooter and Pendulum. Any feedback?

edit:
after listening to this a few times I realize I should fade lass unz tanzen in at the very beginning instead of just dropping it. The VCO filter seems overused or maybe just too wet?

andy17null fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 4, 2010

Spam Man
Nov 21, 2005

Spam Spam Spam... I DONT LIKE SPAM!
Andy17null: I sure can tell you are playing around, its a fun mix of the two tracks.

KILLERJUNGLIST's mix is getting me through work right now. "Bup Bup Bup, Big up do da undaground MAAAAssive."

djhaloeight: We need a playlist asap, you have some BOMB tracks in there.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
new mix:

http://soundcloud.com/mayeah/doghouse-mix

funky house / breaks / uk funky that i'm feeling currently. it's super solid, check it out 8)

Derkin
Dec 2, 2001
Morgoth Metal Thorleifson
Two new ones up for download:

Progressive House and Progressive Psy on this one:

Warm Up
1. 2 Dots (Nic Fanciulli Remix) - Lusine
2. Ultraviolet - Way Out West
3. Twin Reaction - Atmos
4. Flyer Talk (Wehbba Remix) - Christian Smith
5. More Pleasure - Lish & DJ Zombie
6. Stereotype - Pion
7. Free As We Are (Prefect Stranger Remix) - Antix
8. Tilt - Nyquist
9. Nobody Knows (Phase Mix) - Symphonix
10. Light - Jay Selway
11. Halkidiki - Day Din

And more Hard House glory with this:

Fallout Weekend
1. Welcome Back - DJ Audy
2. Magic - Jimmy Dean
3. Incredible - Tongue & Groove
4. 045B - Bootek
5. The Final Tone (Chris Combat Remix) - Pocock
6. Reignite - BK & andy Farley
7. Cool Cat - Rob Crawshaw
8. Deviant Behavior (2010 Remix) - Defective Audio
9. Run For Cover (Derkin's Ran For Cover Re-Edit) - Ross Hobson
10. Rock Lobster - John Geary & Defective Audio
11. Diseased Raindrops - Chris Summers
12. Funky Disco Biscuts - Andy Farley
13. Stopout - Whyte Haze
14. Too Bad - Rob Hills

http://www.djderkin.com/media.html

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
gonna listen to warm up

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

Ben and Stew posted:

gonna listen to warm up

ditto!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
i dig on that low bpm prog-psy stuff and your mix sounded good!

Derkin
Dec 2, 2001

Ben and Stew posted:

i dig on that low bpm prog-psy stuff and your mix sounded good!

I usually do hard house and more energetic styles but I loves me some proggy stuff when the mood is right. I think I may have to do some more mixes like that.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Currently shopping for a new laptop to DJ with, and an expensive Mac is totally out the question. Any suggestions for a solid PC?

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

Spam Man posted:

2. Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand

this was AWESOME

Vernacular posted:

good DJ laptop
I don't have any answers but I'm in the same boat and am curious what people have to say.

Is it common knowledge that you can drop tracks from your Mediamonkey library into Traktor decks?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I think the key to getting the best performance is to use as few USB devices as possible (try to use firewire, expresscard or eSATA instead)

if both your soundcard and storage are USB, I could see that pushing your CPU a lot harder than it needs to.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Vernacular posted:

Currently shopping for a new laptop to DJ with, and an expensive Mac is totally out the question. Any suggestions for a solid PC?

Probably better question for the gear thread but I guess all the same people read both.
Get a used mac. The white body macbooks will run you like 500 bucks and its better and more stable than any BS windows machine you can get.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Derkin, enjoyed the progset, you should do more of those.

Recorded a new set myself today. Dark and dubby with a touch of funk.

Tracklist:

Download: Click!

Stream: Soundcloud

Feedback appreciated!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Vernacular posted:

The external soundunit is more important than the computer you use.
Definately when it comes to soundquality. You need balanced sound. Of course, if you're dj-ing with finalscratch or serato, you don't have a choice.

I used to dj with a pc, only problem compared to mac was the small firewire port, which doesn't give the soundunit power, and you need one more adapter on stage.
Stability-wise, I did have some problems, most related to drivers (gently caress m-audio). That said, I've seen almost an equal amount of problems with macs on stage.
But if I did it all again, I would go for a mac probably, for the little things like the firewire, and lack of midi problems (if your midi controller gets disconnected and you connect it again, it will work immediately again, not so with windows).
But again ,these are of no importance if you're a serato/finalscratch dj (I think).

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
This is the best place to ask:

I'm looking for a song that is similar to these:

Underworld - Cowgirl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10q96IPlm70
Faithless - Tweak Your Nipple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZv_tE2jgE

Ive heard it a few times before at clubs a year or so ago but it's not either of these. Exact style of vocals

andy17null posted:

this was AWESOME
That track has been getting so much popularity. It was on the afrojack essential mix and I've heard it like 4 times now in clubs

Rivfader posted:

Tracklist:

Feedback appreciated!

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 11, 2010

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

mrfart posted:

The external soundunit is more important than the computer you use.
Definately when it comes to soundquality. You need balanced sound. Of course, if you're dj-ing with finalscratch or serato, you don't have a choice.

I used to dj with a pc, only problem compared to mac was the small firewire port, which doesn't give the soundunit power, and you need one more adapter on stage.
Stability-wise, I did have some problems, most related to drivers (gently caress m-audio). That said, I've seen almost an equal amount of problems with macs on stage.
But if I did it all again, I would go for a mac probably, for the little things like the firewire, and lack of midi problems (if your midi controller gets disconnected and you connect it again, it will work immediately again, not so with windows).
But again ,these are of no importance if you're a serato/finalscratch dj (I think).

Thanks for the response. I have the Audio Kontrol 1, so I'm good on the soundcard front, but I feel you on the midi disconnection issues. I've started using duct tape on for my usb cords to avoid that problem. Unfortunately, macs are 100% out of my price range, so that'll have to do for now. I'm gonna take my chances with this I think http://www.officemax.com/technology...e=22-86611312-2

and Jon that description is vague as hell. its probably another faithless track, like the mark knight remix of 'music matters' or something like that

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 12, 2010

Derkin
Dec 2, 2001

Rivfader posted:

Tracklist:

Feedback appreciated!

Sweet, thanks Riv! I have downloaded your set for the 2.5 hour road trip I have tomorrow. Should be good driving tunes:)

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

Rivfader posted:

Tracklist:

Feedback appreciated!

Nice work, as usual. Picked up a few new tracks I'd missed, cheers.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Rivfader posted:

Tracklist:

Feedback appreciated!

This is very good.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Derkin posted:

Sweet, thanks Riv! I have downloaded your set for the 2.5 hour road trip I have tomorrow. Should be good driving tunes:)

Hope it will prove to be good driving music. Have a good trip!

Steve Evets posted:

Nice work, as usual. Picked up a few new tracks I'd missed, cheers.

Cool, always good to hear!

djhaloeight posted:

This is very good.

Thanks, appreciate it! Followed you on Soundcloud and will check out your last minimal set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

Finally got around to doing a new mix for Fall. It's more of a long trip/headphones mix of moody, melodic electronica, prog house and techno.

Tracklist:

Blue Daisy & Anneka - Raindrops
The XX - Shelter (Tiga Remix)
Arandel - In D#3 (Sinner DC Remix)
Douglas Greed - Shining and Nordlicht
Ripperton - At Peace (I:Cube Tape Mix)
Pablo Bolivar - Escape of Galaxy Five (Hirotaka Miyamoto Remix)
Midland - Play the Game
Matthias Vogt - I Dreamed the Impossible (Wiretappeur's Playground Mix)
Caribou - Sun (Midland Re-Edit)
Van Hai - Popcorned (67 Durango Streets Mix)
Tornike - Night Steps (Opuswerk Give Me More Mix)
Charlie May & Barry Jameison - Homecoming (COMA Remix)
Future Beats Alliance - Mourning
Motorcitysoul - Manic Mondays (Main Mix)
Chymera - Dreamrunner
Caribou - Kaili (Walls Remix)

DL and Stream

• Locked thread