Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

PlasticSun posted:

I'd have the DRZ over the KLR. Just wind the piss out of the DRZ engine when you need to get someplace and enjoy a far lighter bike with a better suspension, milage brakes and all that other stuff.
I'm going down there tomorrow (supposed to be 80ish* out), and we're going to swap bikes and go for a ride, and if we thing it's a fair deal, we'll swap titles and bikes on the spot, and meet up in a couple weeks to trade all our assorted spare parts.

If we don't think it's a fair trade, we still get an awesome fall ride in awesome weather in NOVEMBER... =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

what's the general thoughts on 94-01 Honda VFRs around here? The older ones are in my price range for used bikes, and the 98-01 fall just above my price range so still possible with some additional saving. I like their reputation as reliable sport-touring bikes, but I was wondering what the thoughts on owning them were here.

http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/mcy/2045263981.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2003759773.html

those were two that caught my eye.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

PlasticSun posted:

I'd have the DRZ over the KLR. Just wind the piss out of the DRZ engine when you need to get someplace and enjoy a far lighter bike with a better suspension, milage brakes and all that other stuff.

My buddy has a KLR and I have the DRZ. I have ridden both a bunch. Whenever he is on my DRZ I just wish I was on it. The KLR handles a little better at highway speeds/has a better top end, but other than that it has really no upshot that I found.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Korwen posted:

what's the general thoughts on 94-01 Honda VFRs around here? The older ones are in my price range for used bikes, and the 98-01 fall just above my price range so still possible with some additional saving. I like their reputation as reliable sport-touring bikes, but I was wondering what the thoughts on owning them were here.

The engines are pretty bulletproof, the 98+ ones have fuel injection which is nice. I'd go for that 2001 model, I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much as long as it's been maintained well enough.

Definitely check to see if the Regulator/Rectifier has been replaced and check the charging system while the bike is running. Hondas just have weak R/Rs from the 90s- early 2000s on most of their bikes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Korwen posted:

I've got a 98 which, while I love, I don't ride nearly enough. It's a bit heavier than I really like, but not so much that it really feels *heavy* (although it's based on riding a DRZ more which is, naturally, much lighter). I haven't had any real issues with it other than the battery discharging after not riding but that's to be expected. I've got a Sargent seat on it which is super comfy, and the gear-driven cams sound fantastic. Do keep in mind that valve checks are supposedly a pain with the V4, although guys on VFRDiscussion have said they rarely, if ever, have to actually adjust them. Aftermarket isn't as good as other models, but there's certainly lots of stuff available. Since they're generally owned by older people, it's not hard to find one in good shape, albeit with relatively high miles (as you've found), but they're rock solid, so no worries about that. The one complaint I have is that it gets really hot when idling in traffic, and the fans draw air in through the side-mounted radiators, so the hot air rises up right between your legs, so it can get uncomfortable. People have swapped the fans with Superhawk fans which blow outward with no negative consequences. Oh, 2000 and 2001 have a catalytic converter, which 98-99 do not, but I don't think it makes any difference on performance other than some added weight. On the flip side, the 98-99 have a manual "choke" while it's automatic on later ones.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jabs posted:

I'm going down there tomorrow (supposed to be 80ish* out), and we're going to swap bikes and go for a ride, and if we thing it's a fair deal, we'll swap titles and bikes on the spot, and meet up in a couple weeks to trade all our assorted spare parts.

If we don't think it's a fair trade, we still get an awesome fall ride in awesome weather in NOVEMBER... =)
This may not be the wisest thing I've ever done, but he's going to trailer it up here tomorrow, and we're going to swap bikes - despite the fact that the DRZ runs...sort of...and is rideable...sort of...but it wasn't in good enough shape for me to ride it home.

But, I know I've got quite a few people's DR-liZard brains to pick here, so I'm reasonably confident about the deal, knowing I'm going into winter and will have poo poo to do to the bike in the next few months, no matter which one I have.

So, any warning flags here?
#1. The battery is stone DEAD. We were jumping the bike off of an automotive battery (not off of a car).
#2. The bike likes to die at idle sometimes. Combined with the DOA battery, that was rather irritating. Once I held the throttle at around 40% for a while, it would idle better, but would still die once in a while.
#3. Will die sometimes just off idle, will bog a bit, then rev normally.

The idle issues *really* feel a lot like the old Maxim, and those were cleared up 100% with 3 tanks with Seafoam...Combine that with the seller's recollection that the gas in the tank is approximately 5 months old, and I think we have a winner here.

There are a few mods that the Prior Prior Owner did, like the 3x3 airbox mod and rejet. It had a big bore kit on it, but the PPO said it leaked oil, so he switched the originals back on.
It's the E (high compression) model, with the Baja Designs street-legal kit put on.

Here's some pics.

Thoughts, Warnings, "DUDE! RUN SCREAMING"'s?
The "effective price" is around $1650, considering what I paid for the KLR, and the spare parts that I've gotten for it since (spare triple tree, spare forks, spare stock seat are the big ticket items), and we're talking about a straight across trade - the asking price for the DRZ is $2200, FWIW.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 7, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Dead batteries make bikes do all sorts of weird things. Once you get a new battery in there you'll start to really be able to diagnose problems.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd still go for it. Figure a potential few hundred in potential repairs and you'll definitely be good, although it might just need a fresh battery and some fresh gas :)

The story about the bb kit is off though. Why not just replace the gasket if it's leaking oil?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

I'd still go for it. Figure a potential few hundred in potential repairs and you'll definitely be good, although it might just need a fresh battery and some fresh gas :)

The story about the bb kit is off though. Why not just replace the gasket if it's leaking oil?
my guess is that the PPO was going to sell the bike, and returned the bike to semi-stock prior to sale, with the intent to sell the big bore separately.
It didn't faze me at all, specifically because it sounds like something you'd do, C. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah but you don't want to buy a bike from my dumb rear end. :v:

Nah it seems legit enough if that was the plan. Does he still have the kit? Would it go with the bike?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

Yeah but you don't want to buy a bike from my dumb rear end. :v:

Nah it seems legit enough if that was the plan. Does he still have the kit? Would it go with the bike?
It's not the Prior Owner with it - it's the Prior Prior Owner...

There are parts that will be going with the bike, but not the BB Kit.
The more I read up on DRZ's the more work I remember having being done on the bike, like the honkin Ascerbis tank (that I'm sure NOBODY missed in the picture...), the fact that the 3x3 mod was done in conjunction with a re-jet.

The *current* PO swapped sprockets. Blowing up the original picture, it looks like that's a 47 or 48 on the back (24 teeth on the visible half-sprocket), and a 14 on the front. The stock sprockets will come with, I believe...

More deets tomorrow.

I need a new avatar. It seems the KLR didn't <3 me enough to go on a diet - though I definitely <3ed it when playing in traffic on I-25 on the way home with a black corvette with Look At Me Red brake calipers...but that's a story for the Top 5 Things thread.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 7, 2010

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was looking to get an older used bike as my first bike, and I came across this through a friend. It is a 976 Yamaha XS 500, and I think the sale price is going for around $750, give or take. Here are some pictures:

Aside from a few dings here and there, the only things wrong with it is the tach doesn't work, and one of the side covers that say C500 on it has a crack. I checked Ebay and both are available. (And I could probably reapir the crack, seeing as I would want to repaint that awful brown color if I got it.)

The only thing I have read from research is that these apparently wern't the most reliable of bikes? There is another party interested so I have to see what they do, so I may not even get the opportunity to buy it.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jabs posted:

It's not the Prior Owner with it - it's the Prior Prior Owner...

There are parts that will be going with the bike, but not the BB Kit.
The more I read up on DRZ's the more work I remember having being done on the bike, like the honkin Ascerbis tank (that I'm sure NOBODY missed in the picture...), the fact that the 3x3 mod was done in conjunction with a re-jet.

The *current* PO swapped sprockets. Blowing up the original picture, it looks like that's a 47 or 48 on the back (24 teeth on the visible half-sprocket), and a 14 on the front. The stock sprockets will come with, I believe...

More deets tomorrow.

I need a new avatar. It seems the KLR didn't <3 me enough to go on a diet - though I definitely <3ed it when playing in traffic on I-25 on the way home with a black corvette with Look At Me Red brake calipers...but that's a story for the Top 5 Things thread.

A fair number of DRZs have some sort of power drain issue which saps the battery if it isn't ridden regularly, I'd try a fresh battery and fresh gas and see how it goes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Man I really kind of want one of these CB700SC bikes.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2047301488.html

If it's in running condition it'd be kind of fun to have, I kind of want to have something I can take apart and practice doing work on, like cleaning carbs, if worse comes to worse and I destroy it i'm only out about 750$ :v.

Also I kind of want to learn how to work on motos as a kind of career eventually, i'm planning on taking a few courses on moto mechanics at the local college.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

infraboy posted:

Man I really kind of want one of these CB700SC bikes.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2047301488.html

If it's in running condition it'd be kind of fun to have, I kind of want to have something I can take apart and practice doing work on, like cleaning carbs, if worse comes to worse and I destroy it i'm only out about 750$ :v.

Also I kind of want to learn how to work on motos as a kind of career eventually, i'm planning on taking a few courses on moto mechanics at the local college.

You could always learn to wrench on your F2. That thing was pretty easy to work on, especially stuff like pulling the carbs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Korwen posted:

You're talking about two different gens of bikes. I've owned two different 5th gen 98-01 VFRs. The valve checking thing is an issue w/ the VTEC 6th gen VFRs. Checking the valves on the gear driven VFRs is the same as any other bike, but you do have two different heads you have to mess with. The VFRs got less and less sporty as the generations went on. The fuel injection is not great on 5th gen VFR, I found the shut/cracked open throttle transistion to be quite surge quite a bit. On my first bike I tried the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator trick, and did not find it helped much. On my second bike I got a power commander and that really helped smooth things out.

The 4th gen VFRs were known for having more trouble with their RRs than the 5th gens. I've never had the chance to ride a 4th gen, but I think I would prefer it because it is a fair bit sportier.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2049711233.html

Oh how I wish I had the money to pick this up. The thought of going from a semi-responsible speed-demon to an all out hooligan has me so excited I could scream like a high school girl.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Probably Hates You posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2049711233.html

Oh how I wish I had the money to pick this up. The thought of going from a semi-responsible speed-demon to an all out hooligan has me so excited I could scream like a high school girl.

Way overpriced. Clean or not, it's coming up on 5 years old and is probably worth a lot closer to 3k$.

Here's a better deal:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2042741338.html

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Oh my God.. I... I might just buy this. Thank you! I've always wanted to reenact a KTM commercial on the street. :hellyeah:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Be aware that it's going to need the valves done in around 2k miles. Use that to bargain him down more.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Ooooh you're right, I completely didn't notice that. Thank you!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's not a bad deal even at 3k honestly. But why spend more if you don't have to? :v:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Exactly, I can easily justify buying it. I've really wanted a supermoto for probably 6 months now and have been setting a little bit aside for one, one dollar at a time.

What sells me is the work that the person has put into this DRZ. You can tell they liked the bike and took care of it. (As far as first impressions go anyways)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
what do you do when the ad says no key
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2048900916.html

take it to a locksmith?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

what do you do when the ad says no key
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2048900916.html

take it to a locksmith?

Pull the ignition and either take that to a locksmith, which I've had very good success with, or buy another ignition that comes with keys and swap them.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Found a sweet Ducati for sale locally...

So I sent the guy an email asking if he wants to trade for a Ducati StreetFighter...

Someone who may be me posted:

Interested in a trade for a 2010 Ducati Streetfigther in red with 7k miles?

seller posted:

I don't understand what u want to trade for, I have a streetfighter with only 3400 miles on it. Let me know

probably me posted:

I want to trade my street fighter for your street fighter so I can have a street fighter to replace my streetfighter

seller posted:

Dude u need help ur a retard why would I do that I have less miles on mine don't waste my time

:(

I guess I don't know the guy selling it then... ah well.

No trade for me.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ducati riders are weird.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Found a sweet Ducati for sale locally...

So I sent the guy an email asking if he wants to trade for a Ducati StreetFighter...

:(

No trade for me.

I dont get it

^^^ yes they are

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So I'm thinking about upgrading when the settlement is all said and done for my 2004 EX250. I don't know if it makes more sense to just take what they offer (will probably be $1800-2000), or to buy the bike back and try and sell it/part it out.

I think an SV650 is something I would be interested in upgrading to, and with prices around the same (less, usually) as a DRZ out here, seems like the better option for my 18 mile one way freeway commute.

How's this one seem? The timing is tight, I don't know if he'll still have it by the time I get my cash monies. Seems like a deal to me, though, and just from the posting it looks like someone with a reasonable head on their shoulders. I really like the look. Any thoughts? What could I talk him down to?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2039437974.html

Or for just a little bit more...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2034455245.html :byodood:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 10, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say around 3k would be a great deal, 3500 is fair, as long as all of the maintenance has been done.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Edit - nothing to see here.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 10, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlueBayou posted:

I dont get it

^^^ yes they are

Me neither.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

No trade for me.

I give this Craigslist troll a 6/10. Needs more harassment.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sending people messages on CL asking if they'll trade straight up for a Ducati Streetfighter is a bit of a hobby for me; Usually targeting the worst of the worst ads.

I know most of the Streetfighter and Ducati riders in the Seattle area from events, trackdays, rides and such... it thought it was one of the local guys from DNW selling and I'd harass him a bit.. turns out it wasn't.

Thought it was mildly amusing, carry on.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Sending people messages on CL asking if they'll trade straight up for a Ducati Streetfighter is a bit of a hobby for me; Usually targeting the worst of the worst ads.

I was going to ask why. But then I read your post history and it all makes sense now.

On topic question:
Can i ride a Honda 90 on the street or is it only for trails?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

I was going to ask why. But then I read your post history and it all makes sense now.

On topic question:
Can i ride a Honda 90 on the street or is it only for trails?

Some of them are street legal, but figure that top speed is going to be too low for any sort of freeway.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

Some of them are street legal, but figure that top speed is going to be too low for any sort of freeway.
Remember, this is BlueBayou we're talking about here...You just totally sold her on the idea. =)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Jabs posted:

Remember, this is BlueBayou we're talking about here...You just totally sold her on the idea. =)

hahahahahahaa how very true!

The thing about tiny little bikes is that I think i'd look totally ridiculous in my full helmet and black leather jacket riding around town. Full bike gear... tiny little bike. Seems silly, even for me.

So I continue my search for a Honda CB

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Going to look at that SV1000 I posted tomorrow. I'm glad I'm looking at that one first, then the 650. That'll make it easier to wait a bit before just deciding on the 1000. Really, even the 650 would be a ridiculous step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

BlueBayou posted:

hahahahahahaa how very true!

The thing about tiny little bikes is that I think i'd look totally ridiculous in my full helmet and black leather jacket riding around town. Full bike gear... tiny little bike. Seems silly, even for me.
Could be worse... I look like this...

which isn't bad, really...on a 700 pound, 1700cc cruiser. But on the 300 pound SR250 I look like a gorilla on a pushbike.