Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like a good bit of sports preperation.

Still 4 and a half hours till kickoff for me. Just about to sit down with a big cup of tea to the Celtic v Rangers match. After that I'll get on the eggs, beans and toast and probably another healthy cup of tea. Bit of a loose stretch an hour before the game then up to pick up my mate kev and have a bit of a smoke and a stretch.

I even did an additional bit of training yesterday morning. A friend of mines works at the local sports campus and, depressingly, its fairly rare for any of the facilities to be booked up. It does however mean that whenever he is working I can get a free reign of an outdoor football pitch, get a bit of a run about and do some ball work.

Legs are a wee bit stiff but that'll go once I get running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I find I can't eat anything within 3 hours of the match or I just lose the ability to run

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 4-2 today. If we'd had linesmen we would have won 5-3, three times I broke the offside trap, my first touch didn't let me down and then the ref blew for offside, even though with the other team's attacks he was content to play on when they just hung around the 18 yard box. Would be nice to get just one goal. :(

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wish we bothered with offside. And free-kicks and corners.

We don't really bother though. Offsides, no one cares and free-kicks are only if it was a blatant, blatant foul.

Its a good mix of players tonight. Most of the folk who take it way too seriously arn't playing and quite a few of the more unfit players are in. I prefer it that way. Don't get me wrong its nice to have a balls to the wall match sometimes. I had that last week though, today would be nice to get a good run-about and throw in a few tackles.

Possibly even a few unconvincing runs up front, Kyle Lafferty style.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lost 4-0. Both of our keepers are hurt so we had a guy who had never played in goal before as our keeper. It was... not good.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I played keeper for the first time last Wednesday. It was really really fun and I wasn't that terrible at it. Though it did help that the other team couldn't shoot that well. Made some nice stops, but I was really hesitant to dive for anything given I play indoor soccer and hurling myself onto hardwood floors just doesn't sound that fun.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Our keeper got sent off inside the first 10 minutes of the game today for being an idiot, forcing our 3rd choice Goalkeeper/left back in net. The ref disallowed a perfectly good header and we eventually lost 3-2. It's not the first time we've been hosed over by the ref either and it's the most infuriating thing in the world since he's the only official pretty much.

I also managed to get cramp in both calves while contesting a header and had to land on my arse. Pre-match banana did not work.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

mikewozere posted:

It's not the first time we've been hosed over by the ref either and it's the most infuriating thing in the world since he's the only official pretty much.

One of my favourite moments from my latest season was when the ref was so bad both teams reached an unspoken agreement to officiate themselves, giving throws and corners and free kicks the correct way.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mikewozere posted:

I also managed to get cramp in both calves while contesting a header and had to land on my arse. Pre-match banana did not work.

Had this happen today too, sprinting by a guy while I had the ball. I tried to toe poke it away as I fell down and managed to slice the ball to a player on their team who took a touch and scored. Awesome.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I blame all this healthy eating culture. They've removed the salt out of everything. I honestly don't think I get enough now.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

mikewozere posted:

I blame all this healthy eating culture. They've removed the salt out of everything. I honestly don't think I get enough now.

Pick up some electrolyte capsules. You get a better spectrum of salt than say drinking gatorade or eating salty food. Those things keep me happy and going through ultramarathons or football games or whatever I decide to do to damage myself.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

I played keeper for the first time last Wednesday. [...] I was really hesitant to dive for anything given I play indoor soccer and hurling myself onto hardwood floors just doesn't sound that fun.

Harden up, son. :smugbert: As one old codger said to me "If you ain't bruised afterward, it wasn't fun enough" - I'm not sure if he was referring to football though. :barf:

I played (indoor) goalie on Friday and had to sleep on my rear end for most of the weekend (can't wait for my goalie pants to arrive). I need to get better at picking whether to dive left or right - is there a rule of thumb (i.e. "always dive right for a rightie"), or is it just instinct/sheer panic? Got beaten high to my right 3x on Friday (it would help if I had a competent D - or any D at all really).

Thel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 25, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Thel posted:

Harden up, son. :smugbert: As one old codger said to me "If you ain't bruised afterward, it wasn't fun enough" - I'm not sure if he was referring to football though. :barf:

I played (indoor) goalie on Friday and had to sleep on my rear end for most of the weekend (can't wait for my goalie pants to arrive). I need to get better at picking whether to dive left or right - is there a rule of thumb (i.e. "always dive right for a rightie"), or is it just instinct/sheer panic? Got beaten high to my right 3x on Friday (it would help if I had a competent D - or any D at all really).

Play a diamond on defense, that pushes up into a flattened triangle when you have the ball. If they ever get a player free between you and your defenders you have all right to bawl out your players for pushing too far forward and leaving you exposed.

Get some good kneepads, the most expensive the longer they will last. The basic rules I work to are 'come out and close down the angles'. Try and only give them one clear spot that they can put the ball in, know where it is and be ready to go that way. Strong hands and wrists, i dont wear gloves because they inhibit my throwing but that's personal, sometimes it's better to go the punch than the catch if it's a hard strike and you cant get your body behind it because of the weight of the ball.

Speaking of that, the ball we play with is pretty heavy so it's quite difficult to get any movement on it. So getting the ball curled around you into the corner wont happen really but hard shots from range have a tendency to drop on you so get your body right behind the ball and keep your legs closed (you whore).

Be really vocal, you've to the best view of the field on your team so making sure your players know where they are in relation to their direct opponents, or in your zone and just generally keeping them organised is just as important as shot stopping.

edit: oh god and please show a little intensity when you have the ball, you can create so many chances if you can release the ball quickly. especially off opposition corners.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

hughsieblingwish posted:

Play a diamond on defense, that pushes up into a flattened triangle when you have the ball. If they ever get a player free between you and your defenders you have all right to bawl out your players for pushing too far forward and leaving you exposed.

Get some good kneepads, the most expensive the longer they will last. The basic rules I work to are 'come out and close down the angles'. Try and only give them one clear spot that they can put the ball in, know where it is and be ready to go that way. Strong hands and wrists, i dont wear gloves because they inhibit my throwing but that's personal, sometimes it's better to go the punch than the catch if it's a hard strike and you cant get your body behind it because of the weight of the ball.

Speaking of that, the ball we play with is pretty heavy so it's quite difficult to get any movement on it. So getting the ball curled around you into the corner wont happen really but hard shots from range have a tendency to drop on you so get your body right behind the ball and keep your legs closed (you whore).

Be really vocal, you've to the best view of the field on your team so making sure your players know where they are in relation to their direct opponents, or in your zone and just generally keeping them organised is just as important as shot stopping.

edit: oh god and please show a little intensity when you have the ball, you can create so many chances if you can release the ball quickly. especially off opposition corners.

Any sort of positional strategy is a bit beyond my team at the moment - I basically have one guy who does the right thing on defense, two guys who can be yelled at to get back, and the rest of the team (5 players) think I'm yelling at anyone but them :negative:. Speaking of yelling I already do a lot of that, calling marking and open players (I try and avoid the "shoot!" yelling, but sometimes it slips), so no worries on that front.

We use futsal balls, which are built like bricks (especially when overinflated) and don't move in the air. I try and be fast on distribution, but if my team are all standing there like "how i get away from other playa", I figure I'm better off holding on to it.

e: My question was more for one-on-one strategy - my team leaves me to hang out to dry an average of three times a game, most of those times resulting in a goal - I'd like to make it into a 50/50 proposition at least (even though the attacker always has the advantage).

Thel fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 26, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Thel posted:

Any sort of positional strategy is a bit beyond my team at the moment - I basically have one guy who does the right thing on defense, two guys who can be yelled at to get back, and the rest of the team (5 players) think I'm yelling at anyone but them :negative:. Speaking of yelling I already do a lot of that, calling marking and open players (I try and avoid the "shoot!" yelling, but sometimes it slips), so no worries on that front.

We use futsal balls, which are built like bricks (especially when overinflated) and don't move in the air. I try and be fast on distribution, but if my team are all standing there like "how i get away from other playa", I figure I'm better off holding on to it.

e: My question was more for one-on-one strategy - my team leaves me to hang out to dry an average of three times a game, most of those times resulting in a goal - I'd like to make it into a 50/50 proposition at least (even though the attacker always has the advantage).

Like you said it's pretty tough; when you're left open like that. If they're coming down the middle of the pitch all you can do is get out early and close the angle down, make yourself big and watch the ball, keep your hands strong. If they're running down a wing then it's a bit easier to get out and shut down the angle. Sometimes the best thing to do is just get out and slide into the ball, you'll probably take a few kicks to the chest, body or knees to the face but there isnt much space on an indoor court and you can cover distance pretty quickly to close down a player.

Sometimes if you've got time you can try to fake going across one way and then go the other, often the skill level is low enough that if you give an opponent an option in Sunday league they'll generally take it. Can make you look stupid though.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

hughsieblingwish posted:

Like you said it's pretty tough; when you're left open like that. If they're coming down the middle of the pitch all you can do is get out early and close the angle down, make yourself big and watch the ball, keep your hands strong. If they're running down a wing then it's a bit easier to get out and shut down the angle. Sometimes the best thing to do is just get out and slide into the ball, you'll probably take a few kicks to the chest, body or knees to the face but there isnt much space on an indoor court and you can cover distance pretty quickly to close down a player.

Sometimes if you've got time you can try to fake going across one way and then go the other, often the skill level is low enough that if you give an opponent an option in Sunday league they'll generally take it. Can make you look stupid though.

I'd much rather play it safe and try and force them to slide it by the post for the goal than give them a gaping hole and not be able to close it in time. At least that way I can yell at my team a lot without them pointing out I'm a terrible goalie.

I basically play the angles, and charge if they're either not looking (I upended a guy when he was looking at the ball and not me - sent him rear end-over-teakettle and came up with the ball without getting kicked in the face) or get to the edge of my area.

(The flipside of that is the next time I faced that guy it was a 2-on-1 - he passed the ball off for an easy score then carried on into me, leading with his elbow.)

e: That was a competitive league and not a casual one, all sorts of poo poo went on ("accidental" kicks to the ankle, aiming to kill the goalie on open shots, blatant tripping, leading with elbows on contested headers, basically all the hyper-competitive petty bullshit that happens when you put a team of type-A personalities together).

Thel fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 26, 2010

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Grrr I'm sick of the pussy-frolicking that goes on at our 5 a side games. I admit it, I'm a clumsy player and I'm a bit of a hacker. Not in anyway like a Nigel de Jong but more like a slightly drunk Claude Makalele. That and I'm the type of player who is just desperate to get between the ball and my goal. I made some fantastic challenges on sunday night. Proper last gasp, flinging my foot in front of the ball and winning it tackles.

And it make some people moan like gently caress. Fair enough if I actually broke someones leg or even caused any kind of injury but if anything I'm the one that ends up with the bruises and the scraped skin on the knees and I just stand right back up to do it all over again. It something of a common sight to see me, on indoor pitches, slide tackling folk, getting up, and watching the blood dribble down my knee but I don't care because its loving hardcore.

I dunno, maybe I'm exaggerating. Most of the people I paly with see it as a bit of fun and know that if they are running at me with pace there is every chance I'll accidentally barge them to the ground. Most would recognise there is never any intention of malice. Hell I'm usually playing while bonged out my face so I just like to have a laugh. I'm not one of those who take it seriously, screaming expletitives at the walls when they miss shots. I just go and have a bit of a run and enjoy myself.

Just one guy really irritated me the other day giving it the whole "its not a laughing matter, if you break my leg i'll loving kill you, bullshit. gently caress off, won the ball every single time. He was just particularly phased because I did a brilliant tackle on him that a) stopped him getting a shot away and b) sent him flying into the air and on his arse which isn't easy becuase he's one of the few players who is bulkier than me.

That and he's poo poo and stays up front the whole game moaning at you to cover the runners and blatantly poaching. Makes it even more enjoyable when I steal the ball from him and calmly pass it back to the keeper.

Anyways: Rant Over. Perhaps you have tales of the physical side of your amateur football and how pansy-ankled your competitors are.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is this in a league or just with mates? I've never really had a problem with it happening when playing with friends too much, usually if someone commits a foul they'll happily own up to it and a free kick will be taken. On my team though some of the less-experienced (or not, some of the experienced ones have too) or social players might commit soft fouls like holding or just start kicking your ankles if you have your back to them, sometimes then it'll just be explained to them that they can't really do that.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Is this in a league or just with mates? I've never really had a problem with it happening when playing with friends too much, usually if someone commits a foul they'll happily own up to it and a free kick will be taken. On my team though some of the less-experienced (or not, some of the experienced ones have too) or social players might commit soft fouls like holding or just start kicking your ankles if you have your back to them, sometimes then it'll just be explained to them that they can't really do that.

Just with mates. Yeah if I actually foul someone I'm the first to stop the play and say it was a free kick but its not often I foul. I don't hack at players ankles, I did that when I was younger without realising it wasn't really allowed so I make sure not too. I'm just very commited to getting something on the ball. I guess it doesn't help that I see myself as one of the few folk who actually defend, in a big headed kind of way, so I try to be brave. Sometimes it shows as ridiculous slide tackles on hard surfaces but thats how I play.

The worst I've done is accidentally slam a guy into the wall, I hadn't played with him before and didn't realise how fast he was, and a couple of boots in the shins when I'm trying to clear the ball maybe but I never go out to hurt people.

Och, I shouldn't moan too much. I guess sometimes I'm a bit heavy handed for a friendly game with mates but I just loving love getting in the way of the ball. I'd be a goal-keeper but I'm a bit short to be effective and theres too many goon goalies already.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Ramagamma posted:

It something of a common sight to see me, on indoor pitches, slide tackling folk, getting up, and watching the blood dribble down my knee but I don't care because its loving hardcore.

I feel like i should tell you this. In 5 a side, slide tackling simply isn't allowed.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

DrakeD posted:

I feel like i should tell you this. In 5 a side, slide tackling simply isn't allowed.

The rule I've always heard for five-a-side is the goalie is the only person allowed to have anything other than their feet in contact with the ground while playing the ball. So yeah, slide tackling is a no-no (it's also retarded unless you *like* skinning your knees, which is itself a bit retarded).

Speaking of goalie, my prodirectsoccer order just arrived (just over a week UK->NZ, with a public holiday here as well) - everything I ordered in the right sizes and it all fits. Color me mildly amazed.

Next question - how do I wash padded goalie pants? Can I just throw them in the machine on a gentle cycle, or do I have to handwash them?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Ramagamma posted:

long thing about defending and slide tackling.

You sound a lot like me. Last league I played in (6 a side) I was one of the only people who defended in a physical way and I got a yellow in almost every game for sliding. Anyway, I was moved up front one game because we were playing a very short team (I'm only about 6' but I towered over these guys) and I started putting in goals, so I was never put in defense again and I didn't get another card.

Moving on, the day after the last game of the term I did my ACL in an open night, starting 2 years of miserable injuries keeping me off the field. Talking foot ligaments getting torn, thigh muscle getting torn, 2 hamstring injuries, and re-aggravating a previously broken foot to the point of requiring another surgery on it. So after all that I think it's a good idea to start playing again, I join my school's 6-a-side team (competitive local league, I've never played before at this level though) and I'm feeling good about it. I'm not really a skilled player at all, but during all our scrims I was scoring crazy amounts of goals and I got 1st striker.

Anyway about 3 days after I got told that I'm playing in an open game trying to get back to full stride and I do my ankle, out for 6 weeks with some sort of acute-strain according to my doctor.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Sounds like your body is not intended for sport.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah, but I'll be damned if that stops me.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

If you slide tackle on astroturf, sorry but you must be loving retarded.

Also, goalie pants? I just wear jogging bottoms if it's cold, or shorts in the summer (and accept the fact i'm GOING to graze my legs.)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

If you slide tackle on astroturf, sorry but you must be loving retarded.

Also, goalie pants? I just wear jogging bottoms if it's cold, or shorts in the summer (and accept the fact i'm GOING to graze my legs.)

I can deal with the scrapes and cuts, that's no drama. Main reason I'm after goalie pants is because hip bruises are no fun at all (and they take for-loving-ever to stop hurting).

So basically I'm after goalie pants because I'm a big baby. :o:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My team finally won a match! 7-1 to boot!

Of course I had the most perfect shot. Coming up the right side, got a beauty of a pass from the center, only one defender to get past... and missed to the right. Oof.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We were 2-1 down with five minutes to play last night and ended up winning 4-2. I scored the winner :smug:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I have a game tonight and I'm taking what you goons are saying on board. To be fair going in for heavy tackles is a bit dickish in a kickabout with mates. I mean I'm never meaning any harmful intent but I would feel like a right right arsehole if I properly injured someone.

Might try something different tonight, playing on the wing or something. Actually, its the outdoor pitch tonight which I prefer for fitness since its wider and more open, easier to run about. Might just play the hard-working striker role tonight. We'll see.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Anyone have any direct firsthand experience with plyometrics? Has it drastically improved your acceleration?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

First shutout of the season, woop woop! Won 4-0, on the back of a stellar defensive effort, a couple of decent saves, and me fighting off a :btroll: to be first to a corner. Even better was on the next play when said mountain of a person tried a cheeky heel redirect ... on a ball going walking pace. :what:

Our first goal was completely laughable. Their keeper came up, got done for falling over (playing the ball on the ground) - while she was sitting on the ground mouthing off at the ref, we played it quickly and chipped it from halfway into the net.

The kicker: the ref was her [the other keeper's] daughter. :eng99:

Some people just don't get it. You play to the whistle and when the ref tells you to shut up, you shut up. Also when you're the goalie and you come up, if you give the ball away, loving get back there. We were standing there for a good fifteen seconds with the other keeper on her arse ... :psyduck:

e: Also, tweaked a hamstring tonight - played through it, but I think I'll have to hand the gloves off for next week.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thel posted:

Our first goal was completely laughable. Their keeper came up, got done for falling over (playing the ball on the ground) - while she was sitting on the ground mouthing off at the ref, we played it quickly and chipped it from halfway into the net.

The kicker: the ref was her [the other keeper's] daughter. :eng99:

lol

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Anyone have a recommendation on a bag? Mine was stolen recently(along with my goalie gloves and cleats) needs to be big enough to hold a couple of uniforms, shoes, socks, gloves. Doesn't have to have a ball holder

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

ayb posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a bag? Mine was stolen recently(along with my goalie gloves and cleats) needs to be big enough to hold a couple of uniforms, shoes, socks, gloves. Doesn't have to have a ball holder
Click the left for your preference of backpack or duffle style.
http://www.soccer.com/Navigation.process?Ne=178&N=4294960224+346

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Thel posted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why on earth did their goalkeeper come up when it was 0-0??

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Why on earth did their goalkeeper come up when it was 0-0??

Crazy.

Drew our game last night 7-7 after they 'scored' with the last play of the game. By which I mean they absolutely ripped a shot that hit the post, across the face of goal and off the other post and back out to me. Ref ruled it a goal because it hit the first post hard enough to drive it back a foot or so (thus, according to him, it was over the line as it travelled along the goal-line).

Dodgy refereeing :argh:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We've won three straight games in the last ninety seconds, and from being in a lost position at half time. We've simply forgotten how to lose :smug:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I got my first goal for this club last week. Couldn't have possibly scored it from any closer. Our forward receives the ball from a throw in on the wing. Takes too long to get the cross in so he gets stuck at the corner flag with his back to goal. He decides to flick the ball up and hoof it backwards over his head. As it happens it ends up heading right up and then back down just under the crossbar. So I simply stand under it, the goalkeeper tries to jump and tap it over the bar but he jumps into me, doesn't get enough height, and taps it straight down onto the line where I stick my foot out.

Today I got man of the match for playing at the other end of the pitch in defensive midfield. It's frustrating when I can't play my preferred position because our midfielders have no understanding of how to defend at all. When you're over 6 foot tall, built like a brick shithouse, and much better at kicking people than you are a ball, shouldn't it be embarrassing when a striker gets pulled back to cover you and prevents your team from conceding without giving away a single free kick? I even flattened their biggest midfielder when I outjumped him to a header and I'm not even nearly 6 foot. Still not sure how that happened.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Pr0phecy posted:

Anyone have any direct firsthand experience with plyometrics? Has it drastically improved your acceleration?

A tiny bit. At least I'm back up to speed after a knee injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

We lost again last saturday. Against our closest competitors at the bottom of the table... I had to leave at half time when it was still 1-1 and we were starting to look the better team.

I don't even know what our problem is. Of course we aren't any good at football but neither are our opponents. Well, one thing is our coach's insistence on sticking with 4-3-3, when we're always a man short in midfield...