Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

OrangeSoda posted:

It's easy points you barely have to work for in most FPS games

To add on to this, most sniper-players that I've met in real life are the kinds of people that shout at the screen, go crazy for achievements, and are massively egotistical. That video is one of the best things I've seen in a while.

Oh poo poo first page uh let me think of a story real quick: In TF2, I was a spy and I pulled out the Dead Ringer. I stood in a doorway as an ubered demoman tried to pass me to get to a sentry, but instead all the stickies bounced off my face. As he tried desperately to kill me, I was typing "What's wrong demoman, can't you fit through the door?" Finally, when the uber ran out, a pyro came up behind them and burned them alive just before my DR ran out.
Not really a troll but that's all I got

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

005060524 posted:

I've learned to never underestimate the lengths that people will go to to get to their favorite sniping spot. I wonder what it is that makes sniping so popular in FPS games.

It gets worse. That spot is maybe 20 seconds away from their spawn. Any ONE of them could easily have gone back to spawn, changed to a different class (say, demoman), and taken out the sentry on their own while taking no damage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Drox posted:

It gets worse. That spot is maybe 20 seconds away from their spawn. Any ONE of them could easily have gone back to spawn, changed to a different class (say, demoman), and taken out the sentry on their own while taking no damage.

You can change classes at the spawn point without having to die? All these years I've never known that.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I've never even played TF2 and I knew that because of the Team Roomba videos on TF2 from this very thread. Pay more attention! :colbert:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Has no meaning posted:

You can change classes at the spawn point without having to die? All these years I've never known that.

Technically, not really, since you have to suicide to switch classes. In TF2, there's a Multiplayer/Advanced option for such. However, if you do that in the spawn room, you change classes instantly.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dinictus posted:

Technically, not really, since you have to suicide to switch classes. In TF2, there's a Multiplayer/Advanced option for such. However, if you do that in the spawn room, you change classes instantly.

He said "in spawn," which never causes you to kill yourself. So no, you don't have to suicide to switch classes as long as you do it in a spawn area.

Clamps McGraw posted:

I've never even played TF2 and I knew that because of the Team Roomba videos on TF2 from this very thread. Pay more attention! :colbert:

It won't kill you! See, now I'm a soldier! Now I'm a scout! Just switch classes!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

005060524 posted:

I've learned to never underestimate the lengths that people will go to to get to their favorite sniping spot. I wonder what it is that makes sniping so popular in FPS games.

It turns a 3D shooter into a 2D shooter - it's easier to handle I guess.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

005060524 posted:

To make easy targets for griefers *cradles the smoke launcher from Bad Company 2*

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Sniping is a god-complex enabler.

Looking through my magnifying glass at all the little ants in a frenzy over something or other. Little do they know I'm hovering over them and could crush them one by one in a single poke. :reject:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Easy mode or god mode, pretty much... Though occasionally you will see a good sniper in the game that picks up weird positions, camps in odd areas, and takes targets of opportunity or those that seem to be doing really good out. Essentially they take out the strong and the rest sorta buckles.

Griefing the idiot snipers who always go to the same spots, and stay there even after getting killed is always fun.
It's why I enjoy playing 2fort. As an engie I build a turret on their own balcony and deny them their favorite spot for a while. Always good fun, not much of a grief though.

I remember one rather effective sniper sitting in the pool though, took out a lot of people on the bridge or going out of the pipe. He was sitting in the corner by our pipe exit... so few people look in those corners when just jumping into the water or going through that pipe.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Zebrin posted:

Griefing the idiot snipers who always go to the same spots, and stay there even after getting killed is always fun.
It's why I enjoy playing 2fort. As an engie I build a turret on their own balcony and deny them their favorite spot for a while. Always good fun, not much of a grief though.

Better thing to do: build a tele right at the corner of one of the places snipers like to slowly edge out from. Make the exit in the intel room. If they try to zoom in and slowly sneak out they will teleport, so they have to either be move to a new location or stand closer to the wall. Either way it fucks them up. The ability for engis to move teles made this even easier than before.

Also, if you have a friend, make sure his exit is right above yours on a stairway. This will make anyone who comes through your tele stuck in his, and it's hilarious to eventually have like 4 snipers all stuck in a teleporter in the intel room, asking for an admin.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Slappy Moose posted:

Oh poo poo first page uh let me think of a story real quick: In TF2, I was a spy and I pulled out the Dead Ringer. I stood in a doorway as an ubered demoman tried to pass me to get to a sentry, but instead all the stickies bounced off my face. As he tried desperately to kill me, I was typing "What's wrong demoman, can't you fit through the door?" Finally, when the uber ran out, a pyro came up behind them and burned them alive just before my DR ran out.
Not really a troll but that's all I got

Anyone mind translating this?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Slappy Moose posted:

Better thing to do: build a tele right at the corner of one of the places snipers like to slowly edge out from. Make the exit in the intel room. If they try to zoom in and slowly sneak out they will teleport, so they have to either be move to a new location or stand closer to the wall. Either way it fucks them up. The ability for engis to move teles made this even easier than before.

Also, if you have a friend, make sure his exit is right above yours on a stairway. This will make anyone who comes through your tele stuck in his, and it's hilarious to eventually have like 4 snipers all stuck in a teleporter in the intel room, asking for an admin.
I have been doing this for ages and the success rate has just gotten lower over time. You're better off having the exit be in the shack on the battlements, facing backward. Then you have a friend on the other team snipe them while they're confused. You need it to be a friend because most snipers are pond scum and don't understand long-term payoff.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Foxhound posted:

It's boring. Spies get to use watches to go invisible. The Dead Ringer is a watch that only lets you go invisible after you get hit- it fakes your death and then cloaks you. The biggest benefit of it is that you take vastly reduced damage while cloaked with this watch.

A medic ubered (made invincible) a demoman so that they could take out a sentry gun. This guy just cloaked and stood in the way so that they couldn't get closer to or shoot at the sentry gun. After their temporary invulnerability wore off, a teammate came and killed them.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Foxhound posted:

Dead Ringer makes it look like you die, but all is does is drop a fake ragdoll and then puts you in cloak. So thinking he got rid of the Spy, the demoman tries to press on before his invulnerability runs out, only to still be blocked by the cloaked Spy. Then another guy comes and kills him from behind when his wasted invulnerability period wears off.

Edit: Drox :argh:

Chakram fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 15, 2010

jvempire
May 10, 2009
A simple prop kill video, made by me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9uTiwFiNc

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Nonono, you see, this way I am griefing the other team. I enjoy my fair share of team griefs, but nothing is better then when the snipers have nothing to shoot at since their preferred target(The other snipers) aren't there any more. Because I am killing them.

Besides, teleporting them to the basement gets you caught too easily. I did teleport them to the middle of the bridge a couple times though, that is even more fun. Then they are confused AND sniper bait. If the other team is smart, they wont destroy the exit, and will just shoot the drat snipers.

Chumly
Dec 25, 2006

jvempire posted:

Thanks for the informative description of your super interesting video. :thumbsup:

I know that it's Garrys Mod, that much I can figure out, and you apparently used a "prop" to kill an admin but I've never played Garrys Mod so I don't see how that's in any way relevant to the thread.

Chumly fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 15, 2010

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Chumly posted:

Thanks for the informative description of your super interesting video. :thumbsup:

I know that it's Garrys Mod, that much I can figure out, and you apparently used a "prop" to kill an admin but I've never played Garrys Mod so I don't see how that's in any way relevant to the thread.

Player's get pissy when you prop kill them.

Actually almost any player who plays Garry's mod gets pissy if you kill them at ALL.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

jvempire posted:

the 10 seconds of silence at the end was the most grief-like part of the video.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People getting throwen to their deaths by couple of goony goones in a mod for Mount and Blade: Warband called cRPG. Just imagine the chaos this being done on servers with hundreds of players, not just couple dozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqMnNJzHrI

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

jvempire posted:

Pretty sure he saw that coming, after you completely missed on the first try. He was pretty quick on the ban button.

The random other player saying "187" right afterward almost saves it, though.

Snatch Duster posted:

People getting throwen to their deaths by couple of goony goones in a mod for Mount and Blade: Warband called cRPG. Just imagine the chaos this being done on servers with hundreds of players, not just couple dozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqMnNJzHrI

cRPG is godawful to try to get into as a new player, but I might have to give it another try just to do this.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 15, 2010

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheRagamuffin posted:

cRPG is godawful to try to get into as a new player, but I might have to give it another try just to do this.

yea it is pretty rough at first, but there is gonna be a new patch in December that gonna make leveling up easier.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Slappy Moose posted:

This is great fun

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

jvempire posted:

How do you get the phys gun to push and pull props at fatal speeds?

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

Dizz posted:

Player's get pissy when you prop kill them.

Actually almost any player who plays Garry's mod gets pissy if you kill them at ALL.

I don't think it's actually possible to NOT grief a Gmod player

Your mere existence is ruining their solipsistic fantasy

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

cRPG is a term Ive seen used a few times now and not just in the context of M&B but what does it stand for, combat RPG?

Horse Pro
Mar 25, 2007

Social Activist, Philanthropist, Youtube Extraordinaire

Wowbagger2004 posted:

This is great fun

Bonus points: teleport them into goatse spray.

The only way to play 24/7 2fort

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

quote:

Bonus points: teleport them into goatse spray.
The only way to play 24/7 2fort

Is that a butthole? Ewwwww! :nws:, duh.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

cRPG is a term Ive seen used a few times now and not just in the context of M&B but what does it stand for, combat RPG?

yes that's what it really is. It's very annoying to see people who just fighting anything they meet. it's very good fun to get a hammer as you can't cancel your attack and "by mistake" hit your teamates.

Coagulated
Jul 19, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Coagulated fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 29, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I still don't understand why people play this "game". The guards can do anything, and have no reason but convention not to kill the prisoners right away, and the prisoners can do nothing, and have no reason but convention to not do something else with their time.

I don't use the quotation marks around game idly; I don't know if this meets the formal definition for a game. There are rules, but I don't think there are "moves" or "strategies" as such.

It would make more sense if, in time limited rounds, one person was "The Emperor" or something, and could kill anyone instantly, for any reason, and you got points for convincing them not to kill you. Counterstrike meets chatroulette. Make people vote at the end of the round whether they found the results entertaining or not, so the lovely people don't get to be Emperor, the best griefer would rise to the top, and we would all be winners.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Coagulated posted:

Like this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbueVCJuqhA

I've never played MW2 and I don't know a thing about it. (It's not quite my thing.) How did he get a nuke so fast? Does everybody have them to start with or is it an exploit of some kind?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lord Chumley posted:

Is that a butthole? Ewwwww! :nws:, duh.

Oh gently caress, this is still up somewhere? I'm the person who recorded it. I really wish I wasn't listening to music at the time.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I think someone posted this GMOD grief before, but I'll repost it.

Find a server where explosive props aren't blocked.

Take 2 of them (e.g. 2 explosive barrels) and set them next to each other with a space between them. (Don't freeze them. I don't recall it working if you freeze them.)

Now, select the rope tool and set it to a negative length and rope the 2 barrels. The second anyone touches them or someone uses a Physgun on one of these barrels, they immediately explode.

Here's where it gets fun.

Repeat the steps, but before you rape the barrels, make them invisible. Then, duplicate them. (I think you have to use the advanced duplicator from Wiremod)

When you duplicate the barrels, they immediately snap together and explode. What you now have is a gun that pretty much explodes whatever you're aiming at, and the kill in the corner simply indicates a prop kill.

xergm fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2010

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
In a similar fashion, firing a barrel into the air with the gravity gun, then catching and freezing it with the physgun causes it to explode on contact

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

fleet21 posted:

I've never played MW2 and I don't know a thing about it. (It's not quite my thing.) How did he get a nuke so fast? Does everybody have them to start with or is it an exploit of some kind?

It looks like some kind of hack or glitch; You have to get 25 kills in a row without dying in order to get a nuke, and he gets one in 2 seconds. It's probably some sort of modded server or something.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

AXE COP posted:

In a similar fashion, firing a barrel into the air with the gravity gun, then catching and freezing it with the physgun causes it to explode on contact

Back when just about every server had the nuke rocket launcher, I had an advanced dupe of one of the rockets in flight, frozen. Not only did it kill every player in a huge radius, it also breaks many constraints, and I think it unfreezes things too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On some random building server I created the "Artillery Barrage."

Get an exploding barrel.
Freeze it at an upward angle.
Put a thruster on the end at max force.
Dupe this 70 times, make sure they're in a straight line.
Mash the unfreeze button facing them.
Use HLDJ to play Ode to Joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Back in the heyday of Tribes, there was a mod called Mercenaries, that added a shitload of new weapons, packs, vehicles and such. Mercenaries had two things that I dearly loved, the Det Pack and the Stealth Scout.

The Detpack was a backpack replacement that fit on medium armor, and was intended to kill turret farms and knock out heavy base defenses. Turns out that it would stay primed even if you died, and explode. Therefore, you could suicide bomb with it, and it was almost unstoppable. In Mercs/Shifter, people would build elaborate turret farms and fire bases to defend points, or just because they could. Usually blowing these up required a couple players working together, as turrets were really strong, and the only class that could carry a mortar was easy pickings for anyone in light armor. Then, skiing caught on, and a guy in medium armor could fly towards a turret farm, prime the charge, and then die to the turrets, only to explode seconds later, destroying the entire farm. People got really upset about this.

The Stealth Scout was similar to the normal scout but lacked weapons. A scout was a one man flying ship with lovely weapons. The stealth version was completely invisible. So, I'd grab on of these, tool around until I saw either someone sniping, or a guy in Heavy Armor firing mortars, and fly towards them at full speed, then bail. The scout would continue forward and crush them and I'd fly back to base to get another one.

In Tribes 2, my favorite alltime activity was stealing an enemies vehicle they just spawned. The number of vehicles one team could have at a time was limited, and there was a timer for how often you could spawn them. Since vehicle pads were now in the open, it was easy to creep around to somewhere near the pad, and wait for someone to run up to the pad. Once a vehicle was spawned, I'd try to land on the pilots seat and take off. Bombers and Transport ships were the best, as they had long respawn cycles. I once managed to steal a transport with 4 heavies in the front, and then drove it to the very edge of the map and stranded them there. If you didn't suicide, it would take a couple of minutes to walk back to the action.

• Locked thread