Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Phone posted:

This brings up another ridiculous thing, how many people have said "I can't see anything with these pop-ups!!" Where the gently caress are you looking at? Do you only look at your god drat bumper when driving?

I guess they need the extra 1 foot of vision they gain with popups down for staring at the lane stripes running up toward the front of the car. As I recall, having the headlights up during the day would make me nervous because the hood on my NA would flop around all over the place, and I'd kept thinking it would rip out of the hood latch somehow and smash my windshield. Of course that would go away at night because I could no longer see the hood doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The way to work today, my head unit decided it wasn't going to tolerate my cassette adaptor anymore. Can anyone recommend a good(dirt cheap) head unit with aux in, maybe a USB port, as well as a decent dash kit with a stuff bin? In an ideal world the total for head unit+dash kit is <$100.

What about one of the mini amplifiers, just running a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable to the inputs? You won't get a radio, but it will probably sound better, and is far less tempting for thieves.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

What year? They changed the opening when they added the passenger airbag. 90-93 has 0 options for a kit that doesn't stick out of the dash, the later NA's can order the Japanese version which is true double din, if I remember right. If someone has a decent solution for the 90-93's that's flush mount I'd love to see it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Are there any particularly good 'I can go buy these tonight' brake pads from autozone/AAP/napa etc? Answer me in the next 2 hours, goons.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
What I did with my 90 was mount my single din deck to the existing cage and put a dash pocket from a RX7 below it. The pocket needed a bit of trimming but fits well. It could be mounted back farther but I didn't feel like drilling new holes in the cage. The pocket is part #FC0255-235A and is 1.5 DIN

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It's a 95M. I don't want to go the amp only route because sometimes I do actually listen to the radio. But I found a head unit at walmart that has USB charging as well as aux in, so now I just need a good dash kit.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This car may be my new favorite

Regular bumper with GV lip would be better, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It's a 95M. I don't want to go the amp only route because sometimes I do actually listen to the radio. But I found a head unit at walmart that has USB charging as well as aux in, so now I just need a good dash kit.

Order from Crutchfield because they'll throw in a kit if you buy a headunit that costs 150 dollars. I did the piecewise thing with my 94 and it was a pain in the rear end.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My car spends most of it's time sitting in the parking lot at work with the top down, I'd really rather spend $50 on the head unit and ~$60 on the dash kit and not have to worry about it so much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can tell you that your car problem doesn't have a standard DIN sized hole, so good luck~~~~

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I know it doesn't, that's why I posted in the miata thread saying "hay guise tell me what dash kit to buy!"

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Brain Issues posted:

The two popped up headlights look like the sight of a handgun, except instead of helping you shoot people they help with hitting the apex.

Does this actually work? All the NAs that autocross with us leave the barndoors down.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Ziploc posted:

Does this actually work? All the NAs that autocross with us leave the barndoors down.

Seems like some people at Nationals drive with them up, some with them down. I don't know.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Whenever I see an NA with the lights up at AutoX I think of angry frogs. That may just be because my good buddy drives a greenish-blue one, and drives the ever loving poo poo out of it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Will an open diff do donuts on wet pavement? Not standing water and not from a running start, I mean proper full steering lock and throttle mashing from standing

I'm like 90% sure my car came from the factory with an open diff. I have nagging thoughts (hopes) that the PO might have swapped in one. Someone loved it enough to swap in black leather seats at some point and I strongly suspect that the spoiler was an after edition as well, the paint doesn't quite match the rest of the car. When examined very closely it's a hair lighter.

It was raining here earlier but this is Seattle so I figured I would give it a shot since I might not see pavement that's even this dry for a while.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 15, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

8th-samurai posted:

Will an open diff do donuts on wet pavement? Not standing water and not from a running start, I mean proper full steering lock and throttle mashing from standing

I'm like 90% sure my car came from the factory with an open diff. I have nagging thoughts (hopes) that the PO might have swapped in one.

Yeah, you don't need an LSD to do a donut. I think thats what you're asking? Limited slips are pretty hard to find and expensive so if he swapped one in at one point he probably would've tried to use it as a selling point.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Dump the clutch and count the tire marks.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

You might still get 2 tire marks with an open diff.

Assuming we're talking about the 1.6 VLSD, its pretty easy to spot:

http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/index.html

Just shove a point and shoot camera under there with the flash on and have a go, its pretty easy to tell by the dog ears where the axles attach. In my experiences its a very common option, not that the vlsd really does much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to say, even if it is a VLSD then it's an open diff by now anyway :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to say, even if it is a VLSD then it's an open diff by now anyway :v:

Not that I drive my car hard enough in the dry to need it, but in the winter my VLSD still works well enough with 90k on it to spin both tires. I think having the LSD for winter handling really helps.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

n8r posted:

Not that I drive my car hard enough in the dry to need it, but in the winter my VLSD still works well enough with 90k on it to spin both tires. I think having the LSD for winter handling really helps.

Except when it's a torsen and one of your wheels is on ice. :qq:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of which, can LSDs act differently while cold (like just after start-up on a 40 degree day). My car always feels wierd as hell traction wise on the first turn off my street, but only then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's a viscous type, definitely, since it depends on a fluid for its action and that fluid will be a lot thicker when it's cold. Clutch pack types I could maybe see doing it since they still depend a bit on the gear oil. Torsens and other gear-types, probably not.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Except when it's a torsen and one of your wheels is on ice. :qq:

Pull the handbrake enough and it will activate. I tested this with the car in the air once.

A rear caliper was binding. As soon as I applied the handbrake (giving friction to the wheel with no friction) the LSD activated and sent power to both wheels.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Well, the dealership I bought it from had no maintenance records or anything like that. Hell, they were advertising it as an M edition just because it had leather seats.

So basically other than taking the rear end apart there is no way to tell if I have a torsen in there? It's the 1.8 so a VLSD is right out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does it have the OEM wheels? What year is it?

It's most likely a base with some guy who swapped the interior out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Put the car up on jack stands and spin a wheel by hand. Tires turn in same direction = open, same direction = lsd. Or since you're a 1.8 and the only options are open or torsen. Dump the clutch and see if you light one up or two up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Phone posted:

Does it have the OEM wheels? What year is it?

It's most likely a base with some guy who swapped the interior out.

It's a '96 and has some aftermarket three spoke alloy wheels on it. I'm sure it's a base model I just have no idea what might have been swapped and the dealer couldn't tell me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FatCow posted:

Put the car up on jack stands and spin a wheel by hand. Tires turn in opposite direction = open, same direction = lsd.

Torsens don't work this way dummy. They will act as an open diff when in the air.

You'll find out in a hurry at autocross if you have a LSD or not. Coming out of some tight corners you will spin the inside wheel. If you can't manage to do that you probably have an LSD.

EDIT: Also, you can't keep track of which is which. :downs:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 15, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

Torsens don't work this way dummy. They will act as an open diff when in the air.

If you can talk to the air, you have LSD.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Or you could, you know, call mazda and ask about the vin. Even base models can have lsd's can't they? Its highly unlikely that a PO actually swapped on in there, especially if the only mod is leather seats.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

beatdown posted:

Or you could, you know, call mazda and ask about the vin. Even base models can have lsd's can't they? Its highly unlikely that a PO actually swapped on in there, especially if the only mod is leather seats.

I didn't think the LSD was an option for a base model. I'm not planning on racing it so really I was just curious and figured there was an easy way to tell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

8th-samurai posted:

I didn't think the LSD was an option for a base model. I'm not planning on racing it so really I was just curious and figured there was an easy way to tell.

DO A loving BURNOUT

e: you have an open, the give away is the mirrors

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2010

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
$2100 miata on my local CL here in Leavenworth WA:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2064090917.html

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Welp, new wheels are on. Time for FI!

crutt fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 17, 2010

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

crutt posted:

:drat:

That's one of the best looking Miatas I've ever seen!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I wanted to to my own plugs and wires since I'm getting into wrenching. But when I try to pull them out just the rubber part that slides on the wire pulls out and I just can't take the wire of the top of the plug. What gives? Am i just not pulling hard enough?

Edit: Crutt, nice miata!

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Russian Bear posted:

I wanted to to my own plugs and wires since I'm getting into wrenching. But when I try to pull them out just the rubber part that slides on the wire pulls out and I just can't take the wire of the top of the plug. What gives? Am i just not pulling hard enough?

Edit: Crutt, nice miata!

You might wanna try giving a sharp tug on the wire since you're replacing them anyways. Make sure to use anti seize on the new plugs, thread them by hand carefully, and torque them to the right specs

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Torque specs on spark plugs? I thought it was just turn them until they stop and then turn them 1/8th turn or 1/2 turn depending on whether or not they had crush washers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's like 15 ft/lbs so yeah pretty much the same thing.