Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Got tickets to the Wellmont NJ show after my girlfriend and I have tried for 3 years to see him and always got met with sold out shows.

We also met at a party where someone was playing Girl Talk and started talking because we both knew it. I figure it'll be a good XMas present. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theturnmaster
Sep 10, 2004
Thanks for the mirror! I am pumped about this one! My Monday doesn't suck anymore.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the mirror, the main site can suck it.

I'm so loving excited!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I had no idea he was done already. So far I'm really loving it - lots of mashes I recognize from that live bootleg from Binghamton in May. He wrecked the Ke$ha/New Order bit though, it was better on the bootleg.

Thanks for the mirror, I was trying to get the official site to work for twenty minutes before I thought to check SA.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Girl Talk and such are my official roadtrip CDs, so I'm definitely glad I have another 71 minutes of driving music! Sneaking a little listen during my lunch break, and it sounds fantastic so far.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
after listening to it once, i'll say it's better than NR but not as good as FTA (let's just forget about his first two)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Geno posted:

after listening to it once, i'll say it's better than NR but not as good as FTA (let's just forget about his first two)

This is an argument I've never seen before and hope to have an insightful discussion re: this.

FuzzyBunny
Jan 26, 2006
Thanks for the mirror! I'll be listening to this at work later today.

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009
I absolutely love listening to Girl Talk's albums the first time, and this one is no exception. They sort of lose their magic for me after a few listens though, once I know what to expect I don't enjoy them nearly as much.

That said, loving the album so far.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Is he reusing some samples in this one? I swear he's used "Loser" before.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Thanks for the mirror!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slackerish posted:

Is he reusing some samples in this one? I swear he's used "Loser" before.

I don't recall that he has, but the last E-603 album did.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
That was... extensive use of Shutterbug. But I'm loving it so far.

Ikasu
Oct 8, 2007
I listened to it while doing some work and it sounded the same as other Girl Talk albums. It has the same general cadence and mood, which can be a good or bad thing depending on why you're listening

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Awesome mirror bro.

By the way, I'm going to the first Pittsburgh show. The city may not get many bands, but Girl Talk christening a new venue in his hometown? Can't loving wait.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This starts off with War Pigs?????? gently caress YES this is so loving awesome.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Halfway into the second song and already he forgot what being "on-key" is. Some of this poo poo doesn't make any loving sense. I guess it's really not meant to be listened to intently and sober... because holy poo poo this is depressing. We'll see where this ends up, but consider the bar lowered. A lot. The mix got really thin when Spacehog dropped in midway into song number three, too. Jesus, dude either doesn't care or contracted something in those biomed labs he used to work at that's only starting to affect him now.

(Ludachrist was at least decent... if the best parts were mostly poo poo he's done before, like the chop routine on C+C Music Factory near the end.)

EDIT: Final score: points for Toadies/Bruno Mars, New Order/Li'l Wayne for like 15 seconds, "Make Me Wanna", Flock of Seagulls/Drake, and a light exhale through the nose at Rolling Stones/Wiz Khalifa. I want... probably about 65 of my 71 minutes back.

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 15, 2010

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Good looks on that mirror. The main website was taking forever. Can't wait to listen to this one especially since I just bought tickets for his House of Blues Boston show.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
The first two tracks are just downers. Then he tries to bring it back to form by using "weird" samples like Fungazi, Radiohead, and The Ramones but it just sounds hyper ironic and contrived. He doesn't really hit stride until This Is The Remix, and by then it becomes all samples I've heard before from either his bootlegs or other artists' releases (I just saw E-603 on Saturday and heard a lot of these samples used in a similar fashion). I think the best moments come toward the end when he begins to re-embrace the glitchy playfulness that made Night Ripper so great. The bit where he plays with Basement Jaxx in Make Me Wanna is amazing. I also really like the Arcade Fire/Birdman mash on that track.

I can appreciate what Girl Talk has done for mash-ups, in the sense that he has taken what was once a very avant-garde satirical form of art and turned it into a very accessible and poppy form of dance music. However, I think that in making his music more "accessible", he has started to loose interest in the medium as a whole. There is nothing worth noting (in the 'grand-scheme' sense) in this release aside from a few sweet beats here and there. Even though its tough to listen to Greg's pre-Night Ripper releases, they manage to hold a compelling passion in their glitchy-ness that is not present in this release. What made Night Ripper (GT's best imo) such a noteworthy release (aside from the fact that it got Pitchfork's BNM) was that it combined the artistic glitch present in KLF, ECC, Negativeland with the hyper-active DJ sets (Bastard-pop) released by 2ManyDJs, Z-Trip, Dangermouse, etc. Since Night Ripper, GT has slowly moved too far towards the generic Bastard-pop end of the mash-up spectrum, and now that there are artists like Milkman, E-603, and Ludachrist fighting for real estate in that sector of the public sphere, you can't merely throw out something like All Day and expect it to not be boring.

Enoch3
Apr 29, 2009

baberaham lincoln posted:

now that there are artists like Milkman, E-603, and Ludachrist fighting for real estate in that sector of the public sphere, you can't merely throw out something like All Day and expect it to not be boring.

I agree with everything you said but I'll just quote this. I feel like GT is something I can throw on at a party and people will enjoy it, but I've moved past what he is still doing and it is not as interesting now. It's still fun and I'll throw on All Day while working out for sure, but I'm a little disappointed with this release :(

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

:words:

i'll admit, i'm impressed with your review. how do you know so much about music/mashups?

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

I listen to Girl Talk expecting about 5-10 minutes of awesome stuff, and the rest just chaff. Three tracks in I have about three minutes of awesome, so it's progressing nicely.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Geno posted:

i'll admit, i'm impressed with your review. how do you know so much about music/mashups?

I can't determine how sincere / sarcastic you're being. I've written a couple of papers on remix / mash-up culture (Larry Lessig, Henry 'JenkDawg' Jenkins, Rebecca Tushnet, etc), but mostly I just read Wikipedia a lot and don't kiss girls. My senior thesis is part legal theory and part lit crit as applied to mash-ups.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

I can't determine how sincere / sarcastic you're being. I've written a couple of papers on remix / mash-up culture (Larry Lessig, Henry 'JenkDawg' Jenkins, Rebecca Tushnet, etc), but mostly I just read Wikipedia a lot and don't kiss girls. My senior thesis is part legal theory and part lit crit as applied to mash-ups.

i wasn't sarcastic. anyone who can write 2 detailed paragraphs about GT/mashups can get 2 cents in my book

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
So far my favorite is the Mr. Blue Skies remix in the second track or the Put a Ring On It mix in That's Right.

Does anyone know what the backing track is at 2:20 in That's Right? I know it from some 90s song I think.

Tripred
Nov 25, 2004

Deals in quack, not opinion.

Nam Taf posted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy gently caress!

edit: IT'S HERE!!!

edit: Mirror on my hosting.

Thank you for the mirror, his site is completely borked right now.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

BackInTheUSSR posted:

So far my favorite is the Mr. Blue Skies remix in the second track or the Put a Ring On It mix in That's Right.

Does anyone know what the backing track is at 2:20 in That's Right? I know it from some 90s song I think.

I liked that and the Lady Gaga with... something at some point that was really good.

If I could just listen to those bits I would, but as it stands I probably won't listen to this album again. :(

Edit - Okay, about ten minutes of good stuff overall, five of which is the last song.

Sisgmund fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 16, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Incomplete list here. Also fan-generated.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Sweet. It was Spacehog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AWGc0d8ik I knew it was some super 90s song.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
The tracklist is up on wikipedia!

E: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

how did I have that window open without pressing send for so long?

icicle bob fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 16, 2010

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
This album is really fun. It's not a huge change of pace from Feed the Animal or from his live set he was playing in the last year (a lot of the samples are the same). But it's still just fun, upbeat music that gets you in the mood to dance.

Can't wait for the 9:30 Club show in DC - it's an awesome venue for him.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Windowlicker sample in Get It Get It was great.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Whatever, I'm digging it. And coming out this close to the Ludachrist release it's a great time to be into mashups. I really wasn't into the first two tracks but things have really started to pick up.

There's nothing insane going on here, but it sure as hell is fun!

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Baberaham you are so loving on point across the board it's not even funny. Let's be slightly better acquaintance-bros for the foreseeable future.

Free use and and its legal ramifications are awesome. Also worth considering are the Avalanches (Since I Left You) and the Kleptones (24 Hours) for their fairly valiant attempts at structural cohesion via recurring motifs and potential for narrative through recurring vocalists and/or samples throughout the whole work.

If you ever write another paper.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity plus one-ing the mirror thanks, I've been trying all evening to get the new Girl Talk from the official site but that poo poo is deader than a doornail.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I want... probably about 65 of my 71 minutes back.

I'm on track 6 now (digging the U2 sample), but so far, my opinion is about the same. It just feels really boring and uninspired. NR and FTA had a kind of playful energy that made listening to it much more than just two tracks laid on top of each other. It feels like he's almost lost that sense of fun completely, most of this feels like it's paint-by-numbers and he's just going through the motions.

Halfway into the album, I'm ready to just pretend *this* was the bootleg and listen to the Birmingham show instead from now on.

Didn't even know there was a new Ludachrist until I checked this thread to see how other folks felt about All Day. Holding out hope that it's not as disappointing.

Edit: gently caress me, credit where credit's due. Bust A Move & Kylie Minogue in "Down For The Count" is as good as anything he's ever done, in my opinion. Wow.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 16, 2010

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nice, time to smoke up, play cod, and listen to this. Now we just need the master Milkman to drop something besides originals and we will have a great month.

Also, whoever posted that gently caress computer cd. Thank you, I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I was super high, but listening to a mashup album that has a relaxed feel to it like that instead of a super rager party feel to it was nice.

Any other mellow mashups like that at all?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Try the Downtime half of the Kleptones' Uptime/Downtime.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Triphop Essentials by DJ Lobsterdust is all kinds of fantastic - http://djlobsterdust.com/index.php/mashups/triphop-essentials-dj-lobsterdust-blend/

Although it's really just a mix rather than a mashup I guess. Still worth a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Dunno if this is the right thread, but there's apparently a notice out from The Avalanches floating around that they'll have a very special announcement coming on their website in the next few months. Album number 2 and Australian tour, hopefully.