Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but there's apparently a notice out from The Avalanches floating around that they'll have a very special announcement coming on their website in the next few months. Album number 2 and Australian tour, hopefully.

Oh man, I really hope it's the second album. This is exciting but who knows.

Edit: New page! Umm, have some Frontier Psychiatrist or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Rodgers Hood
Oct 12, 2010

:swoon:Gay for Clay:swoon:

Harminoff posted:

Weird, I wounder why it doesn't have his New Years show listed?

Here is a updated tour list

New Years Eve in the mil :smug:

Girl Talk
11-12 Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
11-19 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hot Festival
11-20 Sao Paulo, Brasil - Planeta Terra Festival
11-23 Santiago, Chile - Centro Cultural Amanda
12-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
12-04 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
12-31 Milwaukee, WI - The Rave
01-05 Cleveland, OH - House of Blues Cleveland
01-06 Columbus, OH - The LC Pavillion
01-07 Covington, KY - The Madison Theater
01-08 Louisville, KY - Expo Five
01-10 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues New Orleans
01-13 Houston, TX - House of Blues Houston
01-14 Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall
01-15 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
01-17 Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall
01-18 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
01-20 Birmingham, AL - Workplay
01-21 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
01-22 Charleston, SC - Gaillard Municipal Auditorium
01-24 Knoxville, TN - Valarium
01-25 Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
01-27 Raleigh, NC - Disco Rodeo
01-28 Norfolk, VA - NorVa
01-29 Richmond, VA - The National
01-31 Baltimore, MD - Rams Head Live!
02-01 Washington DC - 9:30 Club
02-04 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
02-05 Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theatre
02-24 New York, NY - Terminal 5
02-25 Providence, RI - Lupos Heartbreak Hotel
02-26 Boston, MA - House of Blues Boston
02-28 Portland, ME - State Theatre
03-01 Montreal, Canada - Metropolis
03-03 Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Hall
03-04 Chicago, IL - Congress Theater
03-07 Madison, WI - Orpheum Theatre Madison
03-08 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
03-11 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
03-14 Missoula, MT - The Wilma Theatre
03-15 Seattle, WA - Showbox
03-17 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
03-18 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
03-19 Pomona, CA - The Fox Theatre
03-21 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
03-22 San Diego, CA - Soma
03-23 Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Baberaham you are so loving on point across the board it's not even funny. Let's be slightly better acquaintance-bros for the foreseeable future.

Free use and and its legal ramifications are awesome. Also worth considering are the Avalanches (Since I Left You) and the Kleptones (24 Hours) for their fairly valiant attempts at structural cohesion via recurring motifs and potential for narrative through recurring vocalists and/or samples throughout the whole work.

If you ever write another paper.

Thanks dude. I'm not sure how lit critty any of my senior thesis will be, but I am intrigued by that. Have you ever seen any of Burrow's 'Cutups'? He was essentially doing what you're describing, but with famous books instead of music in the public domain (actually, I'm not sure if all of 24 Hours was in the public domain, but I'm pretty sure that most of Since I Left You is. Also, Aus copyright law is wonky and I don't understand it, so maybe they have a more all-encompassing public domain).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Debating whether or not to see Girl Talk live again. His Halloween set was basically his new album samples with Halloween poo poo mixed in, and I don't really want to see the same-ish show.

Also, I don't think anything can top Halloween other than New Years.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Sweet. It was Spacehog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AWGc0d8ik I knew it was some super 90s song.

yeah but much of the other stuff in that area of the track hasn't been discovered into the wiki page yet.

that whole "onto the next, put your hands up" and whatever beat that's layered in with Spacehog and the rap vocals.

just like the female rap around 3 minutes into "down for the count".

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 16, 2010

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If there's one thing that Gillis knocks out of the park every time it's the end of his albums. I know it's an overused, cliched word now, but they truly are epic in the context of mashups.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

I, Butthole posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but there's apparently a notice out from The Avalanches floating around that they'll have a very special announcement coming on their website in the next few months. Album number 2 and Australian tour, hopefully.

Oh hell yes. Since I Left You is one of my favorite albums ever, was always disappointed it never got the acclaim it deserved, easily one of the best pop albums going. 10 years has been too long :qq:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but this new GT album will certainly end up being blasted out of my car for the next couple weeks. Well, it will be played in between podcasts from NPR. In my subaru. As I commute from my suburban home to my government job. It's me, I'm the whitest person...

edit: I do wish it had a bit more of the weird glitchiness that made NR so awesome, but I also like the longer sample and generally laid back poppy sound. And yeah, I know those two ideas contradict.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

All Day, like the live show I saw in October, has lost the magic and energy that was present in Night Ripper and the shows he did in 06/07 with Dan Deacon. I might throw it on at a party or something but I don't really see myself listening to this nearly as much as I did Night Ripper or FTA.

resident fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 16, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm really glad All Day was free, because I think it's fantastically mediocre if not bordering on outright bad. There is nothing on this album that stands out. Everything sounds the same. Almost every song he picked is very very similar, so it doesn't feel like anything new pops out at you. He doesn't balance the bad music with the good music like he did so well on his last two albums. There's nothing close to a "holy poo poo this guy is amazing" moment like Flashing Lights + No Diggity on FTA

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what do you mean by bad music?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Basically it can be summed up in him giving Bizarre Love Triangle and Liquid Swords like 15 seconds each and Ke$ha gets like a minute.

E: It's merely one problem anyway. If he threw more music I listen to in my spare time on here it still wouldn't be that much better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The only Ke$ha sample was a couple seconds of vocal one-shots and Bizarre Love Triangle got over a full minute, though? What else are you calling bad music?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think you can identify weaknesses in the album, to be sure, but to say that, as a criticism, he used sample X too little and sample Y too much, where X corresponds to my musical tastes is, uh, ridic.

I glossed over your edit. My bad.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 17, 2010

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Is it normal to have listened to this album 4 times in the last 36 hours?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Welp. Here is some awesome/horrible news from Milkman.

Milkman posted:

Milkman ATTENTION: The final LP in the Milkman Mashup Trilogy: Algorithms is in it's final stages of production and is due for an early 2011 release. IN THE MEANTIME our homeboy Girl Talk just released his latest mashup album and it's absolute FIRE! Check it out at https://www.myspace.com/girltalk! Get it. Listen to it. Love it.

Can't wait for the new album, but I'm sad he isn't looking to continue. Though I guess that you can only do so much with mashups, and that showed with the latest girl talk.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Harminoff posted:

Welp. Here is some awesome/horrible news from Milkman.

Can't wait for the new album, but I'm sad he isn't looking to continue. Though I guess that you can only do so much with mashups, and that showed with the latest girl talk.

drat, that sucks. is he actually going to keep making that dance music he released a couple weeks ago? i remember a lot of the feedback was "stick to mashups lol"

Toaster
Aug 13, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text) (PISS)
I think All Day (girltalk's newest album) is pretty good, I've honestly enjoyed listening to it on repeat. Probably just my taste in music. I think he's done a great job.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Geno posted:

drat, that sucks. is he actually going to keep making that dance music he released a couple weeks ago? i remember a lot of the feedback was "stick to mashups lol"

I won't care for any of it if he does. It was terribly generic. His mashup is among some of the best out there, on the other hand. It'd be a huge loss if he went that way.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hahaha holy poo poo this new Girl Talk album is loving cool. I heard the intro to Mr. Blue Sky start in the background and I laughed my rear end off. how great.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I noticed what had to be a very last minute addition last time I listened where in between transitions there's the unavoidable, singular, sub-second burst: I WHIP MY HAIR

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Oh man, I really hope it's the second album. This is exciting but who knows.

Edit: New page! Umm, have some Frontier Psychiatrist or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0

I swear they announce a second album nearly every year. I was surprised to find out that until recently (2009) they used to dj regularly at a bar in Melbourne, well according to the wiki that is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Toaster posted:

I think All Day (girltalk's newest album) is pretty good, I've honestly enjoyed listening to it on repeat. Probably just my taste in music. I think he's done a great job.

Yeah, the only thing that has stopped me from listening to it over and over has been the fact that I got Kanye's new album right when I got All Day.

There are definitely more lulls than there were in NR or FTA, which is a weakness, but there also exists more potential to build to something great or really enjoy a great match than in previous albums. At times in NR or FTA, something would be brilliant, but all too fleeting.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

weekly font posted:

I noticed what had to be a very last minute addition last time I listened where in between transitions there's the unavoidable, singular, sub-second burst: I WHIP MY HAIR

I read an interview with him where he said that yeah, he threw that in like, Saturday night or something like that.

Also, I'm echoing the sentiments of everyone else - Night Ripper was magic because it was fresh and new and different, FTA was great as well, but now theres just so many mashup artists out there that the new album is good, and solid, but I'm not floored anymore. His live shows are still one gigantic party though, which is always appreciated.

One thing I don't agree with, is everyone saying how great the ending is - I like the sorta epicness of Imagine, but it just seems so SLOW compared to the great sample from Faithfully on FTA.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i've listened to All Day 4-5 times and it's grown on me. in the end, i don't think it will be better than NR or FTA.

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

Geno posted:

i've listened to All Day 4-5 times and it's grown on me. in the end, i don't think it will be better than NR or FTA.

It's good and i like it, but it reminds me of some sort of B side tape.

FuzzyBunny
Jan 26, 2006
All Day is alright, but I liked the way he mixed the new songs better on the Binghamton bootleg.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr Rodgers Hood posted:

Here is a updated tour list

New Years Eve in the mil :smug:

Girl Talk
11-12 Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
11-19 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hot Festival
11-20 Sao Paulo, Brasil - Planeta Terra Festival
11-23 Santiago, Chile - Centro Cultural Amanda
12-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
12-04 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
12-31 Milwaukee, WI - The Rave
01-05 Cleveland, OH - House of Blues Cleveland
01-06 Columbus, OH - The LC Pavillion
01-07 Covington, KY - The Madison Theater
01-08 Louisville, KY - Expo Five
01-10 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues New Orleans
01-13 Houston, TX - House of Blues Houston
01-14 Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall
01-15 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
01-17 Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall
01-18 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
01-20 Birmingham, AL - Workplay
01-21 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
01-22 Charleston, SC - Gaillard Municipal Auditorium
01-24 Knoxville, TN - Valarium
01-25 Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
01-27 Raleigh, NC - Disco Rodeo
01-28 Norfolk, VA - NorVa
01-29 Richmond, VA - The National
01-31 Baltimore, MD - Rams Head Live!
02-01 Washington DC - 9:30 Club
02-04 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
02-05 Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theatre
02-24 New York, NY - Terminal 5
02-25 Providence, RI - Lupos Heartbreak Hotel
02-26 Boston, MA - House of Blues Boston
02-28 Portland, ME - State Theatre
03-01 Montreal, Canada - Metropolis
03-03 Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Hall
03-04 Chicago, IL - Congress Theater
03-07 Madison, WI - Orpheum Theatre Madison
03-08 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
03-11 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
03-14 Missoula, MT - The Wilma Theatre
03-15 Seattle, WA - Showbox
03-17 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
03-18 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
03-19 Pomona, CA - The Fox Theatre
03-21 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
03-22 San Diego, CA - Soma
03-23 Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre

How convenient it ends in Southwest at the end of march.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

Rhgr posted:

Oh hell yes. Since I Left You is one of my favorite albums ever, was always disappointed it never got the acclaim it deserved, easily one of the best pop albums going. 10 years has been too long :qq:

Its one of my favourite albums too, but it does get recognition. Just last month a book called "The 100 Best Australian Albums" came out. Since I Left You was at number 10.

I'm not going to put money on a new album coming out, though. I've had my heart broken too many times.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

incoherent posted:

How convenient it ends in Southwest at the end of march.

For SXSW? The music portion only runs March 16-20 and he's busy all those dates.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Sample list for All Day has just been released. If you've got some free time, it'd be awesome if the timestamped wiki sample list could be completed!

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I've been a huge fan of GT since I saw him at Summer Camp a few years back. Loved Night Riper and Feed The Animals. Just downloaded All Day and I'm pretty stoked!

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Does anyone have a link to a Ludachrist - Talk Is Cheap sample list? There is one before AC/DC - Thunderstruck, and it's bothering me because I can't remember what it's from.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
FINALLY someone does a good mash with Bone Thugs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Thank you, this thread, for Ludachrist.

In return, http://www.thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/ ? I like it pretty all right.

overtone posted:

Does anyone have a link to a Ludachrist - Talk Is Cheap sample list? There is one before AC/DC - Thunderstruck, and it's bothering me because I can't remember what it's from.

It's Lonely Island - Jizz In My Pants and something else.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 19, 2010

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Deathlove posted:

It's Lonely Island - Jizz In My Pants and something else.
I thought that it was from Bon Jovi - It's My Life, but I'm not too sure now.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
2nd Girl Talk show has been added in Minneapolis since the first show sold out already. Just in case anyone didn't have tickets for the first one.

OlympicHero
Aug 18, 2005
Cheer up!

Harminoff posted:

Nice, time to smoke up, play cod, and listen to this. Now we just need the master Milkman to drop something besides originals and we will have a great month.

Also, whoever posted that gently caress computer cd. Thank you, I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I was super high, but listening to a mashup album that has a relaxed feel to it like that instead of a super rager party feel to it was nice.

Any other mellow mashups like that at all?

Nothing quite like what I posted but I absolutely love "the notorious xx" mashup album from wait what - biggies vocals over xx backing and it works amazingly. Unfortunately its been taken off the site due to copyright but if you can find a copy it's def worth tracking down (info here: http://www.waitwhatmusic.com/files/notoriousxx.html)

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbJpAJf2hA&feature=related

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

OlympicHero posted:

Nothing quite like what I posted but I absolutely love "the notorious xx" mashup album from wait what - biggies vocals over xx backing and it works amazingly. Unfortunately its been taken off the site due to copyright but if you can find a copy it's def worth tracking down (info here: http://www.waitwhatmusic.com/files/notoriousxx.html)

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbJpAJf2hA&feature=related

I listened to this on the train ride home after seeing Metallica last night, and it was very nicely chill. Thanks for posting it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaria
Nov 25, 2010
So have always kinda thought that mashups CAN be a decent way of rejuvenating a has-been track, and splicing it with another similar sounding track, to the benefit of both tracks. However, there are ridiculous amounts of AWFUL homemade and so-called professional mashups on the web, I kinda wondered as to people's opinions on said 'technique' in terms of enjoyment and/or if they have any decent ones they swear by, orrr any they absolutely hate?

I quite liked the Bob Sinclair/Craig David - World Hold On For Hot Stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1NKh7Kpyg) - not entirely sure whether this was official or not?

And there was also: Britney/Linkin Park - Toxic/Faint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTB35xttygQ)

Have checked and re-checked the rules, so am hoping this (as my premier post) doesn't break an inordinate amount of rules before I even get going?

x