Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The White Dragon posted:

Well, now I wish I han't spoiled myself. I read all about the story of Undead Nightmare and from the way it was talked about in this thread, it sounded like it was a Bad End-type story. I won't be getting it now that I know everything that goes on in the plot, but drat. That'll teach me to read reactions to games before I buy them :downs:

It is not at all what your spoiler suggests it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Question about one of the random encounters and the high power pistol in Undead Nightmare: I read that you can only get the high power from the random encounter with the doctor who has a gatling gun. I found him early on and didn't accept his side mission and now I can't find him again. :downs: Does he have a set spot for his camp? If so, where is it? The wiki didn't mention if he did or not and I want to roll with the high power.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

davebo posted:

Originally there were 5 DLC packs planned, the first of course being the co-op add on that came shortly after release. The others were Legends and Killers, Liars and Cheats, Free Roam, and Undead Nightmare. The free roam stuff just ended up being integrated into Liars and Cheats mainly, and the friendly free roam mode came in an update. So yeah, as with GTA4 the plans are in place long before the game comes out, and I'd say they've stuck to and fulfilled their plan pretty well at this point. I'd like to think they're working on the next big thing now, because as much as I enjoy DLC, I'll enjoy a whole new game even more.

Also what is up with PS3 people not getting mics? My best friend still doesn't have a mic and when we play I keep asking what he wants to do next then realizing he can't speak. I end up just saying "Okay if you want to do a gang hideout, spin your horse around, if you wanna go shoot cougars fire once into the air..." Then he normally just shoots my horse.

Not only that but a lot of stuff was released for free. Free Roam Pack was meshed into Liars & Cheats because, according to them, 'Microsoft limits us to how many free things we can have,' then Hunting & Trading was a free update along with a title update that unlocked the Multiplayer Marshal skins. So, they have put out a lot of stuff for the game. Honestly, it's been a wonderful year that has kept the game remarkably fresh and exciting for the most part. If this is it for the game and its DLCs, at least we've gotten a lot.

Such a shame it has to end, however. But such is life. Still, I wonder if LA Noire is going to scratch the itch I'm having for more Rockstar Goodness.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Morshu posted:

Question about one of the random encounters and the high power pistol in Undead Nightmare: I read that you can only get the high power from the random encounter with the doctor who has a gatling gun. I found him early on and didn't accept his side mission and now I can't find him again. :downs: Does he have a set spot for his camp? If so, where is it? The wiki didn't mention if he did or not and I want to roll with the high power.

I run into that guy on a semi-regular basis. Keep cruising around and he'll turn up again.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I borrowed this game from a friend and was wondering what kind of play is the most fun? I now have a 1000$ dollar bounty on my head and complete negative honor but I'm not sure if i'm missing out on a lot by being a killer and what not, is there a consensus here as to which style of character is better suited for the game?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Odddzy posted:

I borrowed this game from a friend and was wondering what kind of play is the most fun? I now have a 1000$ dollar bounty on my head and complete negative honor but I'm not sure if i'm missing out on a lot by being a killer and what not, is there a consensus here as to which style of character is better suited for the game?

I played as honorable all the way until the very last mission of the game, where I became a total rear end in a top hat highwayman. It seemed like the most fitting way to play it, due to the storyline.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Odddzy posted:

Really you should just play however you think your John Marston would act. I will say that the game's cutscenes overall make him out to be pretty honorable, at least to some degree, and also if you play as a total scumbag the game is actually a lot harder, simply because of an item you get for being a good guy. You also get the best looking outfit in the game (at least I thought so) at the halfway point of good honor.

Jack's not allowed to wear pa's Duster Coat. He ain't earnt it, and that boy has fallen far from the tree.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

The White Dragon posted:

Well, now I wish I han't spoiled myself. I read all about the story of Undead Nightmare and from the way it was talked about in this thread, it sounded like it was a Bad End-type story. I won't be getting it now that I know everything that goes on in the plot, but drat. That'll teach me to read reactions to games before I buy them :downs:
So... You play videogames solely to find out how it ends, as opposed to actually enjoying the interactive nature of the videogame that comes with it? I'm assuming this, because you're apparently pretty sure that you're not completely missing out on something just because you read a couple spoilers and now think UN isn't worth buying/playing :laugh:

Odddzy posted:

Well... It depends. Playing as a bad dude will be markedly more... inconvenient, because shops will require your first born on top of your life savings - while Thieves Landing respects your sinister tendencies and trades much much more favorably with you. Maintaining a respectable bounty will earn you the privilege of fleeing/fighting for your life with a regular tendency from any number of pursuers - US Marshals, local Lawmen, Federal Agents, rag tag bounty hunters with packs of dogs, etc (including their Mexican counterparts where applicable if you have a bounty down south as well). If that sounds like your cup of tea, you'll enjoy the change of pace. I played through a second time entirely bad and had a lot of fun with it. Maintained a bounty of over $28k and routinely mugged people at gunpoint, robbed the Armadillo banks, blasted coppers and any chump civilians that tried to get bold, and fought off (and sometime's fled from) law all over the place at various stages of inconvenient times :haw: Real Bad Dudes(tm) also get a completely unique horse-o-doom with average Two Star stats.

Being a goodie two-shoes earns you a classy brown duster though, so I recommend at least getting that before you go darkheart. Extreme positive honor also gets super discounts at every merchant except Thieves Landing, who'll think you're some kind of righteous homosexual jew [sic] and will economically gouge your eyeballs out.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Good gets you access to that item ^ he's talking about. Personally, I consider that negligible, but it's a perk nonetheless.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 16, 2010

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I played as honorable all the way until the very last mission of the game, where I became a total rear end in a top hat highwayman. It seemed like the most fitting way to play it, due to the storyline.

I played him as a guy trying to redeem his past right up until the very end. Though I did go out fighting as hard as I could. Played Jack as a hateful, angry young man, out for revenge against the people and the system that killed his dad.

I thought we were spoiler free on the main game now?

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 16, 2010

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir Spaniard posted:

I played him as a guy trying to redeem his past right up until the very end. Though I did go out fighting as hard as I could. Played Jack as a hateful, angry young man, out for revenge against the people and the system that killed his dad.

Can you please tag your original response? All of this discussion is in response to someone playing the game for the first time, and they shouldn't have one of the best elements of the game spoiled for them.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok so the DLC for Undead NIghtmare is awesome. This is what DLC should be. I am glad I bought it, simply because there is so much garbage out there that I have little faith in DLC any more. Companies please take note because this is pure awesome.

With that said, holy poo poo how the hell can I stop the massive amounts of Zombies coming at me from the ground when I need to burn the caskets? (This is so early in the game that I shouldn't need to spoiler this) I am at the 3rd most church/grave yard on the west part of the map. I burn all the caskets, and a horde of zombies just keep coming at me. As soon as I dead eye whatever I can, I am faced with 10 more...

It never stops.

Any tips? If I go into the church there is a door on the side and in front so I cannot Kung Fu corner fight it either :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Ok so the DLC for Undead NIghtmare is awesome. This is what DLC should be. I am glad I bought it, simply because there is so much garbage out there that I have little faith in DLC any more. Companies please take note because this is pure awesome.

With that said, holy poo poo how the hell can I stop the massive amounts of Zombies coming at me from the ground when I need to burn the caskets? (This is so early in the game that I shouldn't need to spoiler this) I am at the 3rd most church/grave yard on the west part of the map. I burn all the caskets, and a horde of zombies just keep coming at me. As soon as I dead eye whatever I can, I am faced with 10 more...

It never stops.

Any tips? If I go into the church there is a door on the side and in front so I cannot Kung Fu corner fight it either :(

It should stop after a certain amount of zombies are killed. Then the zomboss will spawn, you kill it and you polish off the last of the undead. That's how they all end.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Utnayan posted:

It never stops.

I don't know if this is considered being a lazy cheat or not, but someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I cheesed my way through a lot of sticky situations. Use deadeye then instead of hitting R1 on a bunch of heads, just go to one zombies head and fire with R2. If you don't take too long it won't deplete your deadeye meter so once you fire just hit R3 and do it again and again and again.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

The White Dragon posted:

You don't play Undead Nightmare for the plot, you play it so you can fruitlessly blast away at an ever-growing horde of slavering monsters.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Cemetary dude - how do you beat it, you say? You cowboy up is how :clint:

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004

davebo posted:

I don't know if this is considered being a lazy cheat or not, but someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I cheesed my way through a lot of sticky situations. Use deadeye then instead of hitting R1 on a bunch of heads, just go to one zombies head and fire with R2. If you don't take too long it won't deplete your deadeye meter so once you fire just hit R3 and do it again and again and again.

When I started playing again I forgot that you could even hit r1 on a bunch of heads and was doing it the "cheat way." The cheat way is better by far.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

davebo posted:

Or you can just put your aiming on casual in which case you auto-snap to the heads of the zombies when you press L2 anyway, so you just keep tapping L2 and then R2 and can mow down entire lines of zombies about as quickly as you would have in Dead Eye, anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Another tip, make sure to kill ALL the zombies after you burn the casket. They won't continue to spawn, and you will have a whole 'nother crowd of em to deal with when you light it up.

It's what saved my rear end a lot of times when I was clearing graveyards.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I've found that if you just burn the first casket and sprint around the graveyard burning the rest of them before you even fire a shot, you'll burn all the caskets before any zombies even get near you. Then you can just stand back and pick them off, or circle around outside the fences depending on the graveyard. I cleared them all doing this, and I don't remember ever being in danger of dying this way. Honestly, the graveyards in Undead Overrun feel like they have five times as many zombies as the single player graveyards.

downfall fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 17, 2010

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

downfall posted:

I've found that if you just burn the first casket and sprint around the graveyard burning the rest of them before you even fire a shot, you'll burn all the caskets before any zombies even get near you. Then you can just stand back and pick them off, or circle around outside the fences depending on the graveyard. I cleared them all doing this, and I don't remember ever being in danger of dying this way. Honestly, the graveyards in Undead Overrun feel like they have five times as many zombies as the single player graveyards.
This is also how I approached it and found it to be pretty manageable. You'll notice during the burning casket animation the zombies that are chasing you freeze in place, so you don't have to worry about getting beat up while you're torching someone's bloodthirsty grandma. Then you can just kite them around or find high ground and take them out from there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I'm a bit confused by the lead zombie in the graveyards. Do they do anything besides the animation? I mean..you have to kill all the zombies anyway, and they don't seem tougher than the rest. What's really the point?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm a bit confused by the lead zombie in the graveyards. Do they do anything besides the animation? I mean..you have to kill all the zombies anyway, and they don't seem tougher than the rest. What's really the point?

I think a few of them are "special" zombies like retchers or bruisers or whatever. But they're not all special zombies, so I can't really say. By the time you get to Sepulcro or whatever half the zombies are special zombies anyways, so I don't see the point then.

Something I've never tried, and thought of just now... maybe holy water on the lead zombie? It could do something special, could do absolutely nothing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I think it's a way to bring back familiar folk from the vanilla game. Other than the first bruiser you run into (at the Blackwater cemetery), I recognized the other 4 "leader" zombies>

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 18, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I think a few of them are "special" zombies like retchers or bruisers or whatever. But they're not all special zombies, so I can't really say. By the time you get to Sepulcro or whatever half the zombies are special zombies anyways, so I don't see the point then.

Something I've never tried, and thought of just now... maybe holy water on the lead zombie? It could do something special, could do absolutely nothing.

The lead zombie at Sepulcro I just use the Blunderbuss on. Just for the satisfaction.

So what is the significance of the other leader zombies? I finished the game months ago, so I've forgotten.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Morter posted:

I think it's a way to bring back familiar folk from the vanilla game. Other than the first bruiser you run into (at the Blackwater cemetery), I recognized the other 4 "leader" zombies>

Hmm...I didn't. Who were they (other than Allende [sp?] of course).

Edit:

Found the answer
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_Saint
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Turner
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Alma_Horlick

Northwest Smith
Dec 16, 2008
I'm sorry if tthis has come up before, but I'm not going to trawl through all those pages.

in a duel how do you fire before emptying your gun.In rvolver it was the right stick, but that doesn't seem to work in redeemer

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Now that I have a 360, Red Dead Redemption's at the absolute top of my list of wants. It's also one of the more expensive games. Are there any sales or specials I should know about?

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Only that all 3 DLCs is available for the price of two (1600msp). Otherwise I'm betting it's gonna stay full price for a few more months.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Northwest Smith posted:

I'm sorry if tthis has come up before, but I'm not going to trawl through all those pages.

in a duel how do you fire before emptying your gun.In rvolver it was the right stick, but that doesn't seem to work in redeemer

You don't, pretty much. To end the duel, you either have to fill your bar, fire every shot your gun has, or let the time expire.

Since I'm a sucker for one-shotting dudes in duels, I tend to line up one well-aimed shot to the face, then wait for the duel timer to run out. As long as your bar is higher than your opponent's, you'll win.

But yeah, I do wish there was a way to go "Yeah, I'm good, lemme shoot now".

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The only way is to shoot their gun/hand. It'll fill the meter instantly, fire off one round and end the duel.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Saint Sputnik posted:

Now that I have a 360, Red Dead Redemption's at the absolute top of my list of wants. It's also one of the more expensive games. Are there any sales or specials I should know about?

It's $20 off on Amazon right now, but I don't know how long that sale will last.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

You don't, pretty much. To end the duel, you either have to fill your bar, fire every shot your gun has, or let the time expire.

Since I'm a sucker for one-shotting dudes in duels, I tend to line up one well-aimed shot to the face, then wait for the duel timer to run out. As long as your bar is higher than your opponent's, you'll win.

But yeah, I do wish there was a way to go "Yeah, I'm good, lemme shoot now".

This is the downside about dueling: you can't choose your gun right before it happens. It would rock if you could choose before you go into one so you don't get stuck with the Mauser, or have a dueling sidearm chosen in a menu somewhere that automatically defaults to that.

Of course, dueling for me has become a insignificant part of the game. If anybody challenges me on the street, I just shoot them with a shotgun in the face.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I swap my gun as soon as I hear the yellow-bellied cur insult me as I walk near/by him. Does it not let you switch once you accept and the marker comes up?

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Actually, I enjoy duels with the Mauser and its fifteen-round clip. My “strategy” is usually something like face, face, face, face, face, hand, hand, knee, knee, groin, groin, groin, heart, face, face.

I believe you can change your gun just before you press the "Accept Duel" button.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Of course, dueling for me has become a insignificant part of the game. If anybody challenges me on the street, I just shoot them with a shotgun in the face.
This is the only way to play after you've done your fair share of dueling. It's so satisfying to casually take some guy down while he's in the middle of calling you some kind of yella. I'm pretty sure your honor takes a significant hit, but I play as a scumbag anyway so it works out.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

I swap my gun as soon as I hear the yellow-bellied cur insult me as I walk near/by him. Does it not let you switch once you accept and the marker comes up?

I only duel when they catch me cheating at poker.

A Quiet American posted:

This is the only way to play after you've done your fair share of dueling. It's so satisfying to casually take some guy down while he's in the middle of calling you some kind of yella. I'm pretty sure your honor takes a significant hit, but I play as a scumbag anyway so it works out.

The bandana erases all sins. I find it odd they don't see it coming. They're shooting poo poo and then they don't see me with the Pump Action in my hands. What the hell?

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004
I "went legendary" after hitting 50 for the first time in multiplayer. I really miss my LeMat!

Just how often do the double xp weekends occur on average?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pleatherface posted:

I "went legendary" after hitting 50 for the first time in multiplayer. I really miss my LeMat!

Just how often do the double xp weekends occur on average?

I think there's just been two so far, with Rockstar hinting at more.

I wouldn't mind a 4x XP weekend, honestly. Since the game is completely out now, might as well max out multiplayer.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

At this point I'm refusing to get into duels. I get off my horse and push the guy down and get into fist fight. Once he's down I ride off. If he's dumb enough to follow me then I blast his worthless hide into pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Holy crap, more than a day since a post? :(

Anyway, I know this isn't a big deal (hell, I like it), but has anyone been loading up new saves in Undead Nightmare with extra ammo? Yesterday I started up a save and had over 200 pistol rounds in reserve. I spend an idle trip around Mexico last night using nothing but the volcanic pistol, so I dip just under 170 (I would've used more but I was tired plus some random human-to-zombie corpse had 41 pistol rounds). I save and turn it off. This morning I wake up and I have 275 pistol rounds in reserve!! And maxed out revolver rounds, too...who the hell's shoveling pistol rounds in my pockets? :arghfist:

• Locked thread