Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Phone posted:

Except when it's a torsen and one of your wheels is on ice. :qq:
This is a myth. I've tested this by placing my passenger wheel on slick as snot sheet ice and the other on dry asphalt while my car was facing up a pretty good hill. I tried accelerating away at different rates and even launching with lots of throttle the diff locked up and I accelerated away like I'd been on dry pavement the whole time. Torsens need traction to lock, but they don't need much.

Miata season never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So you're telling me that the Torsen doesn't operate as an open when there is 0 friction on one wheel and friction on the other? I had one tire on dry pavement and the other on ice, and I couldn't get it out of the driveway on Falken Zeix ZE-912s when my town got hit by a snowstorm earlier in the year?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
A tire on ice isn't zero friction. A tire in the air is zero friction. I didn't say "zero friction" anyway, I said "they need traction, but they don't need much."

Don't know why you couldn't get out of your driveway, but I had no problems in the first couple snows of this year on my bald as poo poo Falkens.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Vitamin J posted:

A tire on ice isn't zero friction. A tire in the air is zero friction. I didn't say "zero friction" anyway, I said "they need traction, but they don't need much."

Don't know why you couldn't get out of your driveway, but I had no problems in the first couple snows of this year on my bald as poo poo Falkens.

Nah. Ice can be slick enough that it's 0 friction. I've had a wheel spin up that way too. Just pull the handbrake a bit to add friction to the free wheeling tire and your good to go.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Nah. Ice can be slick enough that it's 0 friction. I've had a wheel spin up that way too. Just pull the handbrake a bit to add friction to the free wheeling tire and your good to go.

wha? coefficient of friction between rubber & ice is ~0.15. It'd need to be zero to have zero friction. Teflon on Teflon is ~0.04. You're not going to have zero friction, it just might not be enough to have the torsen kick in.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

TrueChaos posted:

wha? coefficient of friction between rubber & ice is ~0.15. It'd need to be zero to have zero friction. Teflon on Teflon is ~0.04. You're not going to have zero friction, it just might not be enough to have the torsen kick in.

It will kick in but it only acts as a torque multiplier. If you can get 1ft*lb of usable torque out of the wheel on ice you'll have 2.5ft*lbs on the other wheel. Torsen diffs never "lock."

Oh god I spun one wheel this morning leaving my development with a torsen, unpossible!

(It's sharply off camber and it's very easy to unload the inside wheel almost completely without being aggressive at all.)

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Well that's only part of how it works. The gears inside the diff are made in such a way as to "bind up" when they turn at different speeds. As the two wheels start to spin at different rates, the gears will bind up more and more increasing the amount of torque difference allowed between the tires.

When you spun that wheel it wasn't the open-diff "one-legged burnout," I'm betting it was the "hop-hop-hop" of the inside wheel accelerating and then biting and then accelerating again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Emilio has chops (repost from miataturbo): http://autoeclectic.com/trackhq

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What does it mean when the electric fan is constantly kicking on and off (once every five seconds or so).

My guess is coolant temp sensor, but not sure. Is there a way I can bypass it until we get the new parts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is your AC on?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Could simply be your car rising above and below 208 degrees, in which case that's "normal", if not annoying. Your thermostat might be dying in an unusual way, by closing too rapidly. But that's just a guess...
If it's doing it at idle (which I assume is the only way you were checking that) 208 is a little high for wintertime but not really out of specifications at all.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Also does anyone have a driveway like this (stolen from GIS)

gently caress these. I'm not even that low, 12.5ish hub to fender. Put on a new lip and I scape the gently caress out of it every time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I have one too. Scrape the MS3 on it almost every drat time.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Having a weird issue with my tach. At highway speeds it will stick sometimes for a few seconds. I'll be cruising at 75ish, take my foot off the gas, speed will drop 5-7 mph but the tach stays at the same rpm for a couple of seconds then quickly jump down to where it's suppose to be. Is it the instrument cluster?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
What year car.

I have the same style driveway. If I had a r-package lip it would scrape. 12.25" front.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Russian Bear posted:

Having a weird issue with my tach. At highway speeds it will stick sometimes for a few seconds. I'll be cruising at 75ish, take my foot off the gas, speed will drop 5-7 mph but the tach stays at the same rpm for a couple of seconds then quickly jump down to where it's suppose to be. Is it the instrument cluster?

What year

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's a 94, oops forgot to put that in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tach is ran off of the coilpack.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Piano posted:

Also does anyone have a driveway like this (stolen from GIS)

gently caress these. I'm not even that low, 12.5ish hub to fender. Put on a new lip and I scape the gently caress out of it every time.

put a 2x4 piece in the gutter part

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Some NCs in the speedhunters article today.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is your AC on?

AC is not on. Neither is heater.

It's not just kicking on/off rapidly at idle but it's definitely most noticeable at idle.

Piano posted:

Could simply be your car rising above and below 208 degrees, in which case that's "normal", if not annoying. Your thermostat might be dying in an unusual way, by closing too rapidly. But that's just a guess...
If it's doing it at idle (which I assume is the only way you were checking that) 208 is a little high for wintertime but not really out of specifications at all.

There's no way this is normal, it just started and it hasn't done it before.

It's a Mazdaspeed so 208 in winter is probably not too far out. Those cars run very hot normally.

I'm going to replace the coolant temp sensor as it's only 10 bucks. If that doesn't do it I'll probably replace the thermostat. Make sense?

Bonus pic:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I bet it's the thermostat. Be sure to get one from Mazda as some people have had problems with aftermarket ones.

Russian Bear posted:

It's a 94, oops forgot to put that in.
Is your electrical system good? Sometimes low voltage can mess with the tach. But sometimes the tachs are just weird too, whenever my Miatas have funny tachs I rev the piss out of them a few times and they go back to normal.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 19, 2010

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Is there a nice exhaust tip that you guys are using on the NAs/NBs? I've started to notice that pretty much every car out there now has chrome exhaust tip(s) and the Miata doesn't. I want something cheap and tasteful, maybe in a 3" diameter (the Miata stock exhaust is 2.25").

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

Bonus pic:

How much boost does a stock MSM make? Seems like that intercooler might as well not even be there, considering how tiny it is...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geoj posted:

How much boost does a stock MSM make? Seems like that intercooler might as well not even be there, considering how tiny it is...

Not much. The boost kicks in around 4k and the redline is 6.5k. It tops out in second gear around 47mph. The intercooler is super small and if you're in the boost for any length of time, you wind up with some heatsoak issues.

Cloves
Oct 29, 2010

by T. Finn
I'm looking into buying a Miata, my boss has one and he says they're impossible to break. Is that so?

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Cloves posted:

I'm looking into buying a Miata, my boss has one and he says they're impossible to break. Is that so?

When I bought my car, I didn't know it had an oil leak. I was, however, familiar with lifter tick, and wasn't concerned when it made noise. I found out incidentally that I was down 3 quarts of oil. :gonk:

The car still runs fine. Now I watch my oil level.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cloves posted:

They're incredibly reliable, but also cheap and easy to fix when something does break. Just fix the common crap as maintenance and you're good to go.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mark Larson posted:

Is there a nice exhaust tip that you guys are using on the NAs/NBs? I've started to notice that pretty much every car out there now has chrome exhaust tip(s) and the Miata doesn't. I want something cheap and tasteful, maybe in a 3" diameter (the Miata stock exhaust is 2.25").

Miatas all did from the factory. They just go bad if not kept clean.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Heat soak has never been an issue, but that's more because of how we drive it. I'll probably get the DP upgrade, then DV valve, then new IC.

I got a thermostat but I'm not sure it's the right part because the lady at the parts store was totally clueless. I asked for OEM and she gave me a non-OEM part and when I said MX-5 she started talking about BMWs. Anyways, why isn't there an equivalent to Realoem or bmwfans.info for Miatas? How in the hell do you guys find part numbers and diagrams and stuff?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
^^^
Mazdaspeed Motorsports is pretty good.

http://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com/pages/cats/miatapubs.html

Rosenthal Mazda also has an online parts store with a ton of pictures/parts numbers.
If you autocross you can sign up for the parts program and there are some better diagrams/parts numbers there.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=249

It's going to be Something-15-171. Not sure if the MSM uses the same thermostat as the regular Miata though.

Cloves posted:

Pretty much. Not sure about the latest body style but the older ones are very basic and extremely easy to work on. The motors run pretty much forever. I think rust is likely the biggest killer of them.

The biggest thing to watch out for is the condition of the soft top.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 20, 2010

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thanks fatcow. Us cows gotta stick together.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Things that kill miatas:
1. Crashes
2. Rust
3. Overheating
4. uhhh, the owner not having $500 to fix anything whatsoever?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Vitamin J posted:

Well that's only part of how it works. The gears inside the diff are made in such a way as to "bind up" when they turn at different speeds. As the two wheels start to spin at different rates, the gears will bind up more and more increasing the amount of torque difference allowed between the tires.

This is not at all how a Torsen works, just in case anyone was wondering. The difference in wheel speeds side to side has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the diff's ability to transfer torque.

Savington fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 20, 2010

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's how they work. Maybe I worded it wrong.

http://members.rennlist.org/951_racerx/PS84Gleason.html

quote:

In the Torsen, as in any other differential, the power of the engine is transferred to the differential housing via the ring gear. The Torsen then uses pairs of worm wheels (from two to three pairs, depending an the size of the differential) mounted on the differential housing to turn the worm gears splined to the axle shafts. The left worm wheel of each pair turns the left axle shaft, and the right worm wheel of each pair turns the right axle shaft, Because the worm wheel cannot turn the worm gear, it locks on the gear and turns the axle shaft, propelling the vehicle forward. The right and left axle shafts (and right and left wheels) turn simultaneously. Each wheel then rotates at the same speed.

However, when the vehicle makes a turn, each wheel rotates at a slightly different rpm. For instance, during a left turn, the left wheel will slow down by two rpm, and the right wheel will speed up by two rpm. One axle shaft always slows down at the exact rate that the other one speeds up. This difference in rpm is transferred to the worm wheels (because the worm gear on the axle shaft can turn the worm wheel and equalize the other side via the 1:1 spur gears, which act as balancing gears). So the engine is "Locked" or engaged on the axle shafts, while allowing for differential action when negotiating turns.

The inside wheel can't freewheel like an open diff because it is locked into the traction side by the worm gears. Both sets of worm gears must accel/decel at the same rate or they seize up for a moment until they get back in sync.

Also, I should add that Miatas have had two types of Torsens. 94 and 95s had the Type 1 Torsen and all Miatas from '96 on have the Type 2. The Type 1 biases towards more lock during acceleration and the Type 2 is slower to lock and actually requires one wheel to slip a bit before locking (more slack in the gears so it takes longer to bind), but more forgiving while also offering more lock under deceleration.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Vitamin J posted:

The inside wheel can't freewheel like an open diff because it is locked into the traction side by the worm gears.

100% wrong. It is a well-known fact that Torsens act identically to open diffs if you get one wheel in the air. I have a steep driveway entrance and it's very easy to get a Torsen-equipped Miata stuck in the entry to the driveway because you weren't going fast enough and one tire picked up into the air. The only way to get a lowered Miata in/out is to get a run at it, so you aren't applying power in either direction until both tires are back on the ground. If you go slowly, it will find an equilibrium between the street and the driveway and you literally have to get out and push, or have someone sit on the tire that's in the air until it's back on the ground with sufficient force to transfer the torque to the other side.

In addition, you can literally feel the inside rear tire of a Torsen-equipped car spin if you get it in the air a little going around a track - I felt this today at Infineon in turn 2 in our rental, which has a 4.30 Torsen. You also feel this exiting Cotton Corners/entering Grapevine at Buttonwillow CW. The Torsen is a good diff, but the amount of torque it transfers depends entirely on how much grip the inside tire has - if there's no grip (i.e. in the air or you've gotten it spinning from excessive power) it won't transfer any power.

Savington fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 21, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Savington posted:

100% wrong. It is a well-known fact that Torsens act identically to open diffs if you get one wheel in the air. I have a steep driveway entrance and it's very easy to get a Torsen-equipped Miata stuck in the entry to the driveway because you weren't going fast enough and one tire picked up into the air. The only way to get a lowered Miata in/out is to get a run at it, so you aren't applying power in either direction until both tires are back on the ground. If you go slowly, it will find an equilibrium between the street and the driveway and you literally have to get out and push, or have someone sit on the tire that's in the air until it's back on the ground with sufficient force to transfer the torque to the other side.

Try the handbrake trick next time.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I didn't stop posting because I agreed. I stopped posting because he'll never stop.

I could post video of me unloading the tire and spinning it and he'd still find some reason why it wasn't true.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Try the handbrake trick next time.

I thought about this while writing that, I will try it next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

The venerable 4r70w in my gigantic, beige Lincoln is getting ready to poo poo out its innards any day now, so I've been casually eyeing a replacement car because pumping more money into a twelve year old, 140,000 mile car that gets gas mileage in the low teens is a bit silly. Plus, parking this seventeen foot barge is a ballache.

I live in Miami, and have always had a bit of an itch for putting around topless. Would the Miata make a workable daily driver? My daily commute is an easy 10 mile round trip over surface streets, but with monthly 600-mile round trip highway jaunts to visit family. Is my girlfriend going to break up with me because we're going to have to wear earplugs any time we're going over 30 miles per hour? Will merging onto a busy highway with two people and the A/C on be an rear end in a top hat-puckering experience punctuated by prayer for divine intervention in getting up to 70? My SO has a four-door for when we need to carry more than two people, so in that sense it's not too much of a hassle. Help me out, goons?