Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For people who use Wellbutrin- I am told by my psych and pharmacist that alcohol makes wellbutrin not work. To what extent is this the case? I really like good beers/bourbons/cocktails etc and I would like to be able to have some drinks now and then and still have my drugs work. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
As I understand the problem with drinking and Wellbutrin is not that it will make the Wellbutrin not work, but rather that it's incredibly, incredibly taxing on your liver.

I have taken Wellbutrin for over a year now, and I have drank while doing so, and my mood has been fine and consistent when drinking barring other factors. I can't tell you if I've done incorrigible damage to my liver or not though.

Flillia
Mar 21, 2006

The main thing with Wellbutrin and alcohol is that Wellbutrin can lower the seizure threshold, and excessive alcohol can cause seizures.. as well as withdrawal from alcohol in case of alcoholism.

Additionally, alcohol and Wellbutrin may have some additive sedative effects. They both affect the brain (obviously) and so it makes sense that alcohol would make it "not work" just like how alcohol makes brains not work as well in general.

I checked my school's drug database and didn't see any particular interaction between the two re: liver taxing but your mileage may vary IANAL etc etc.

Flillia fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 20, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

My experience was that Wellbutrin increased the sedative effect of the alcohol, so that one beer or drink would make me drunk - before I'd need at least 2 before I felt the same effect. I didn't like that feeling, so I just stopped drinking completely.

BAGAL BITES
Dec 21, 2006

You'd screw your own sister for a slice of cheese!
Okay, so I have severe, crippling ADD. I was diagnosed when I was 15 (I'm 20). I also have OCD, for what that's worth.

Adderall used to work but it doesn't anymore. Now when I take it I can't focus or I can only focus on stupid poo poo like pointless cleaning/organizing and not the important things I need to do (studying). And when I come down I'm horribly irritable and bitchy and I feel completely fried until I go to bed. I'm also completely unable to eat a bite of solid food for a solid 6+ hours. This happens on any amount, even 5mg. Ritalin is a little better in those aspects, but it still only works for focus like 40% of the time, and there's still a pretty bad crash every time. Desoxyn or Dexedrine might work better but my insurance doesn't cover them and I can't afford them. Tried Vyvanse and it was OK, tried Strattera and it was complete poo poo.

I got fed up with the traditional prescription stims route and started researching nootropics. I'm sure a lot of you are skeptical and I was (am) too but I don't give a poo poo, I'm desperate, I'll experiment. Right now, on most days, I take aniracetam (750-1500mg), acetyl-l-carnitine (1-1.5g) and choline citrate (~1g). I can tell this stack isn't just placebo, I'm actually pretty surprised at how well it helps ADD and anxiety. And it actually makes me feel good, not all wired and lovely like prescription uppers. But it's not a miracle or anything--it's subtle--I still need more help in the focus department.

Oh, I also quit smoking weed a few days ago. I had a habit of smoking every evening (never in the daytime), but yeah, thought it couldn't hurt to quit for a while. Well, it sort of has hurt, actually...my chronic insomnia has returned with a vengeance, and when I don't get enough sleep, my ADD gets worse. I'm trying to tough it out without sleep aids, but it sucks.

I loving hate this--what the hell is wrong with my stupid brain? I used to read for pleasure constantly and be able to plow through books really quickly, now when I try to read my eyes go over the words and I understand them but the paragraphs don't sink into me. I have to go over the page like 10 times before I can move onto the next one, and I'm so ADD I usually get distracted by something else by then, so it takes me an embarrassingly long time to finish a simple book nowadays. I guess this is why I've been obsessed with nootropics/supplements and pharmacology lately. I'm probably deficient in some chemical and I want to find out what it is and what I can take to compensate for that. I'm going to the doctor soon and I'm going to ask for some blood tests and maybe a psychiatrist referral. God, I'm so desperate to get this fixed. I've been like this pretty much my whole life, it's just gotten worse the past few years. I just want to have the attention span of a normal loving person.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was where you were (not OCD though), except dexedrine had also completely stopped working and just kept making me feel shittier (I was diagnosed when I was 8).

Desoxyn was the answer. It didn't force me to WORK WORK WORK like adderall and dexedrine, but what it did do was basically turn me into a normally functioning individual. Honestly I was pretty skeptical but I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm sure glad I did because my life is more in order and I'm more responsible than I've ever been.

The best part? I read for pleasure again. I hadn't done that in like 8 years.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

BAGAL BITES posted:

Okay, so I have severe, crippling ADD. I was diagnosed when I was 15 (I'm 20). I also have OCD, for what that's worth.

Adderall used to work but it doesn't anymore. Now when I take it I can't focus or I can only focus on stupid poo poo like pointless cleaning/organizing and not the important things I need to do (studying). And when I come down I'm horribly irritable and bitchy and I feel completely fried until I go to bed. I'm also completely unable to eat a bite of solid food for a solid 6+ hours. This happens on any amount, even 5mg. Ritalin is a little better in those aspects, but it still only works for focus like 40% of the time, and there's still a pretty bad crash every time. Desoxyn or Dexedrine might work better but my insurance doesn't cover them and I can't afford them. Tried Vyvanse and it was OK, tried Strattera and it was complete poo poo.

I got fed up with the traditional prescription stims route and started researching nootropics. I'm sure a lot of you are skeptical and I was (am) too but I don't give a poo poo, I'm desperate, I'll experiment. Right now, on most days, I take aniracetam (750-1500mg), acetyl-l-carnitine (1-1.5g) and choline citrate (~1g). I can tell this stack isn't just placebo, I'm actually pretty surprised at how well it helps ADD and anxiety. And it actually makes me feel good, not all wired and lovely like prescription uppers. But it's not a miracle or anything--it's subtle--I still need more help in the focus department.

Oh, I also quit smoking weed a few days ago. I had a habit of smoking every evening (never in the daytime), but yeah, thought it couldn't hurt to quit for a while. Well, it sort of has hurt, actually...my chronic insomnia has returned with a vengeance, and when I don't get enough sleep, my ADD gets worse. I'm trying to tough it out without sleep aids, but it sucks.

I loving hate this--what the hell is wrong with my stupid brain? I used to read for pleasure constantly and be able to plow through books really quickly, now when I try to read my eyes go over the words and I understand them but the paragraphs don't sink into me. I have to go over the page like 10 times before I can move onto the next one, and I'm so ADD I usually get distracted by something else by then, so it takes me an embarrassingly long time to finish a simple book nowadays. I guess this is why I've been obsessed with nootropics/supplements and pharmacology lately. I'm probably deficient in some chemical and I want to find out what it is and what I can take to compensate for that. I'm going to the doctor soon and I'm going to ask for some blood tests and maybe a psychiatrist referral. God, I'm so desperate to get this fixed. I've been like this pretty much my whole life, it's just gotten worse the past few years. I just want to have the attention span of a normal loving person.

Coming from someone who totally self medicates for depression and anxiety with weed, I'd stick with it if it helps and you can still function.

That being said, you need to address that OCD. Not only will cognitive behavioral therapy help to keep the compulsions in check, but you'll also learn some very useful technique for making your brain shut up. Try to see if you can also find a good cognitive behavioral therapist in your area and definately get a psychiatrist. Now. OCD and ADHD are very commonly together but it takes a different approach that just dealing with one or the other.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

BAGAL BITES posted:

I got fed up with the traditional prescription stims route and started researching nootropics. I'm sure a lot of you are skeptical and I was (am) too but I don't give a poo poo, I'm desperate, I'll experiment. Right now, on most days, I take aniracetam (750-1500mg), acetyl-l-carnitine (1-1.5g) and choline citrate (~1g).

I'm glad I ran into this post today because I kept meaning to research aniracetam but keep forgetting to write myself a note. :toot: I'm really interested in the anxiolitic effects of it. Do nootropics usually have contraindications?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Good to see that this thread is still around(I forgot all about it for god knows how long).

I just switched from ritalin to Dexedrine and my god is the difference phenomenal.

They put me on ritalin first and while it did help, it also made me easy to irritate. On the starting dose it was ok-ish, as I was just perceived as being more of a smart rear end than usual. But after that...wow, I could so easily fly off the handle it became dangerous in the "you may loose your job if this keeps up" way.

Then the doc was oh so hesitant in trying dexedrine, even though it is the only alternative since in Holland dextro amphetamine is the only amphetamine-school drug that is legal. no really our options are limited.

She used arguments like "the end result(increased dopamine levels) is the same so if you respond like this to ritalin Dex wont be very different" and "well, you did not have a FULL non-response to ritalin so maybe its better if we up the lexapro dosage to counter the negative side effects" even though the lex on its own was PERFECTLY FINE.

But I'm glad I persisted even though it wasn't a guarantee to be the magic bullet.

My head is clear, I have more inner peace and quiet than I have ever had in my life and I'm much more collected and way waaay less easy to succumb to whatever chaos I come across in my life.

I'm sure she had a point but for some reason this really works a lot better.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

(warning: e/n and :words: ahead)

Jesus! This right here has been my life! Right down to the amazing wife that I still don't know why is still with me!

Eventually I'd like to see a doc and get tested for ADD. My problems just go beyond the 'durr, I can't concentrate for too long' bit. It sucks that I can only hyperfocus on things I care about. And when I'm in that zone, I do amazing work. Life is not always fun, I need to be able to do my best on everything.

When I had shoulder surgery, the doctor put me on heavy painkillers. I think it was percoset? All I remember is, this drug helped me focus every well on even the most menial tasks. The only problem was I couldn't act on anything because the painkillers made me so sleepy too.

But now that I've had a taste of what it feels like to be able to just stop my brain from wandering and just FOCUS, I want to always be able to do that. But, I'm afraid of taking any ADD medications.

Why? Well, two big things:

1.) I don't know how valid this is, but I hear that over time, the medications can take a toll on creativity. I love being able to daydream. Love it! I do it all the time. I also work in web development, so being creative helps.

2.) How do the meds affect energy levels? Part of why I never settle down is that I have waaaayy too much energy. I've always been good at endurance sports like cycling, running, etc. just because I have so much energy. I like the healthy side benefits of that obviously.

I hope these questions make sense..

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Before I say anything else: first, get tested, not eventually, but as soon as possible. This will get all of the wondering and dithering out of the way and give you the information you need to make the most constructive choices. Second, if medication is recommended, don't obsess or doubt or worry; just take the goddamn drugs. If your fears prove justified, then you can consider saying, "nope, not for me, I'll do without." The most sensible thing is just to spend between a week and a month actively exploring and testing your options, so that you can spend the next several decades going with what you know works for you. That said,

1.) This may be different for you, but I'm actually more creative when I take my brain pills. If I don't have something else to work on, I'll just open up a text document, and write and write and write. I'm a dreadful nerd, so I like to write up RPG settings and the like, but I also do a bit of scriptwriting for webcomics. I've been more productive with both since I started on medication. I can't honestly say if there are effects over time, but I've never heard anything remotely like that so v:confused:v

2.) If your meds cause insomnia and loss of appetite (they probably will) then you might see a drop in energy levels. You can easily schedule around that, however - go to bed earlier, make sure you remember to eat enough food, and keep it nutritious and healthy. This should mitigate the potential loss of sleep and nutrition, and your body will still be just as fit as before! You might notice that you're less motivated to burn all of that energy (I did), but I would it's just a matter of getting into healthy physical activity as a habit, rather than deciding to do it spontaneously.

I Am Not A Doctor and I'm fairly new to this and blah blah blah. Just thought I'd toss in my two cents while I still had a fresh perspective :)

e: Seems like at least a few people have stumbled across this thread with little prior knowledge of ADD and related subjects, but wanted to know more. Stofoleez, why not put some basic, generally-accepted advice in the OP? Just short lines like "Yes, medication can probably help you," and "Yes, you can get cheaper generics in place of many name-brand meds."

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 23, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I also feel a bit more creative when on the brain pills. Because when I get an idea, I can actually follow through with it, even if it doesn't go anywhere. I find that to be a Godsend.

I also third the testing. Even if it shows you don't actually have ADHD, you'll no longer be wondering. And if you do, it's something that can he treated and helped with.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 23, 2010

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Dolemite posted:

1.) I don't know how valid this is, but I hear that over time, the medications can take a toll on creativity. I love being able to daydream. Love it! I do it all the time. I also work in web development, so being creative helps.

2.) How do the meds affect energy levels? Part of why I never settle down is that I have waaaayy too much energy. I've always been good at endurance sports like cycling, running, etc. just because I have so much energy. I like the healthy side benefits of that obviously.

I hope these questions make sense..

AngryDiplomat's response is seriously the exact same as mine. Medication is wonderful. Here are my responses to the questions though.

1. I'm totally creative. I write scripts at work and am now one of the main people my manager goes to now. I'm constantly having to be creative and openminded and quick on my feet and I'm really good at it. And I've been on Adderall, same dose, for 8 years, it'll be 9 real soon. If I was going to lose creativity, I would have by now.

2. In terms of exercise and being medicated... My half brother is 10 years older than I am, and when I was diagnosed, my parents pretty much urged him to get tested as well. He used to swim in high school and literally, it was how my brother functioned. He'd swim for 2 hours before school, was worn out enough to focus for school, and then swam for another 2 hours after school. However, when he went to college, he didn't have anyone to push him, so he stopped exercising. Since he got onto Adderall, not only is he much happier with work and his life, but he also now has the focus to learn tae kwon do and about how exercising affected the body. He likes exercising even more now that he can understand it and actually follow through with his ideas.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Effexxor posted:

2. In terms of exercise and being medicated... My half brother is 10 years older than I am, and when I was diagnosed, my parents pretty much urged him to get tested as well. He used to swim in high school and literally, it was how my brother functioned. He'd swim for 2 hours before school, was worn out enough to focus for school, and then swam for another 2 hours after school. However, when he went to college, he didn't have anyone to push him, so he stopped exercising. Since he got onto Adderall, not only is he much happier with work and his life, but he also now has the focus to learn tae kwon do and about how exercising affected the body. He likes exercising even more now that he can understand it and actually follow through with his ideas.

Wow! Your half brother sounds like me regarding exercise. I literally feel like I can't focus until I release some steam. In my case, either by lifting heavy at the gym or going for a hellacious bike ride. Then, I'm too worn out and tired to not daydream and tune out.

It's really interesting to hear how the meds have changed him for the better. Especially the following through on ideas bit. I swear I'd have been more successful in life if I actually followed through on my ideas...

---

Thanks for the great responses so far everyone! :) I'm glad that the bit about creativity being lost is unfounded. I heard it from my wife who was told that by exactly one person taking ADD meds. It's not like we read it somewhere. I kinda wondered why I hadn't heard this tale more often.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Dolemite posted:

Thanks for the great responses so far everyone! :) I'm glad that the bit about creativity being lost is unfounded. I heard it from my wife who was told that by exactly one person taking ADD meds. It's not like we read it somewhere. I kinda wondered why I hadn't heard this tale more often.

Well, it's certainly possible that it has that effect on him. Despite all the positive responses, you need to remember that everyone reacts differently to meds. I've heard the creativity thing before, but this certainly doesn't seem to be a common response or something that you can't cope with (by setting aside time when you go off-meds, for example).

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Dolemite posted:

Wow! Your half brother sounds like me regarding exercise. I literally feel like I can't focus until I release some steam. In my case, either by lifting heavy at the gym or going for a hellacious bike ride. Then, I'm too worn out and tired to not daydream and tune out.

It's really interesting to hear how the meds have changed him for the better. Especially the following through on ideas bit. I swear I'd have been more successful in life if I actually followed through on my ideas...

---

His life is way better now, and he's the first one to admit it. He couldn't hold onto a job, was pretty annoying to be around and was constantly being told the same thing, that he had potential but not the follow through. Since he got onto the Adderall, he held onto his job until he left it to take on better one. The other thing that he likes about being medicated and exercising is that he can read dry medical documents that are helpful to him, but that he wasn't able to get through before. Meds rule.

And I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many people around them are medicated. Everyone at worked is shocked that I have ADHD and take meds, because I 'don't seem like I need it'. And of course I seem like that, I'm taking the meds!

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have ADHD. I was on strattera for a while. It helped me concentrate/sit still and just made it easier to collect and express my thoughts. I stopped taking it because it made me angry and made my dick not work. Then I started taking adderall. It worked great without any debilitating side effects but now I'm afraid I've built up a tolerance and its no longer having an effect. I'm currently on 30 mg.

I read somewhere that people with legitimate ADD will not build up a tolerance to amphetamine. How much truth is there to this?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hooves posted:

I read somewhere that people with legitimate ADD will not build up a tolerance to amphetamine. How much truth is there to this?

People with ADHD have bodies that strive to achieve homeostasis just like everyone else. Yes, you can develop a tolerance. Some people mitigate this slightly by taking "med vacations," but their efficacy is questionable unless they are for some time.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Hooves posted:

I have ADHD. I was on strattera for a while. It helped me concentrate/sit still and just made it easier to collect and express my thoughts. I stopped taking it because it made me angry and made my dick not work. Then I started taking adderall. It worked great without any debilitating side effects but now I'm afraid I've built up a tolerance and its no longer having an effect. I'm currently on 30 mg.

It depends on the symptoms, really. Despite being medicated, I still have ADHD. I'm impulsive, a terrible procrastinator and my attention is still crap. I don't think there's enough medication in the world to completely 'fix' ADHD, at a point you do have to start making sure that your condition is kept under control. I make sure I keep to a strict schedule, have ways to deal with my procrastination and have found ways to live my life so that I succeed. And that comes from a lot of therapy.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I like it when I finally get an attention span, and I misdirect it to something like playing Angry Birds for 3 hours on my phone. :geno:

Yeah. That's productive!

Also, with ramping up on dosages and building a tolerance, my doc said that if you're taking the drug for therapeutic reasons (as opposed to :catdrugs: goddamn I love that smiley), eventually you'll hit a personal maximum dose that'll work for you. It may take some dosage adjusting, however. My doc also advocates drug holidays, and I decided that Sundays are going to be that holiday for me. Literally a Day of Rest!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 25, 2010

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

People with ADHD have bodies that strive to achieve homeostasis just like everyone else. Yes, you can develop a tolerance. Some people mitigate this slightly by taking "med vacations," but their efficacy is questionable unless they are for some time.

I was told that tolerance might build up, but if you stick to the dosages recommended to you it is not possible to get a physical addiction if you really have ADD. Is there any truth to this?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mindblast posted:

I was told that tolerance might build up, but if you stick to the dosages recommended to you it is not possible to get a physical addiction if you really have ADD. Is there any truth to this?

At very high doses your body will become dependent on the chemical the way it becomes dependent on any chemical of this sort. You may not become addicted in the "fiending to get a fix" sense, but withdrawal will be unpleasant. That said, that doesn't really happen to anybody at relatively low clinical doses.

It won't turn you into a tweaker, but your body will develop a need for it to function well if you're on a high enough dose taking it regularly enough, ADHD or no.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Amphetamines don't make you physically dependent. Sure, when I stop taking my meds I'll be a little more "out there" and distracted, but I certainly don't get crabby or go through withdrawals. On the contrary, I feel awesome when I stop taking my pills!

poo poo, I get way worse symptoms when I go through caffeine withdrawal.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Rereading that, I phrased that really poorly. The above poster is correct, it doesn't form physical dependence. And there's no evidence that at clinical doses there will be problems. I did specify high doses over long periods of time. Sorry if I was misunderstood due to my lack of clarity.

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah I've never experienced anything resembling withdrawal from amphetamine. Tolerance on the other hand...

Aside from the limp dick/rage side effects strattera was a god-send. Never built up a tolerance to the stuff and I was on it for years.

Has anyone had experience with any other sort of medication that didn't result in those side effects and carries no risk of tolerance?

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

signalnoise posted:

For people who use Wellbutrin- I am told by my psych and pharmacist that alcohol makes wellbutrin not work. To what extent is this the case? I really like good beers/bourbons/cocktails etc and I would like to be able to have some drinks now and then and still have my drugs work. :(

I'm far from an expert but this is a risk with any sort of anti-depressant. You know since alcohol is a depressant. They affect the same parts of the brain and alcohol can most definitely have a negating effect. But hey, YMMV.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

:siren: Oh. My. God. :siren:

Filmmakers in :canada: have put together a WONDERFUL documentary on Adult ADHD, called 'ADD & Loving It?!'. It's REALLY good. If you're in the Seattle area, KBTC is playing it at times, and I imagine that other PBS stations may get a hold of this. It's a funny documentary, it taught me a lot, and it's also recent, so it has the newest and greatest opinions and technologies that they talk about. And the people they talk to are actual professionals who work with Adults with ADHD, and not random quacks who really don't have a clue. I'd recommend tracking it down if you're have ADHD in any way, shape, or form, and/or you even think you have it.

Their website is: http://totallyadd.com, and this is the link to the film portion: http://totallyadd.com/totallyadd-loving-it-trailer/.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 28, 2010

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Aw man, I guess there's no telling when this may come to europe? :(

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That website is painfully slow to navigate. "Hey guess what! We're going to show you a button here in a little bit, let me slowly explain what the clearly labeled buttons will be for before we show them!"

Edit: ok, maybe that's just in the test thing mostly, but it's sooooo annoyiiiiinnnnggg. Also, "Can you get it from a toilet seat?" in their video intro.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 30, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Kylra posted:

That website is painfully slow to navigate. "Hey guess what! We're going to show you a button here in a little bit, let me slowly explain what the clearly labeled buttons will be for before we show them!"

Edit: ok, maybe that's just in the test thing mostly, but it's sooooo annoyiiiiinnnnggg. Also, "Can you get it from a toilet seat?" in their video intro.

The movie is better than the website. I didn't spend that long on the site itself, I had no idea it'd be that annoying.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's mostly just their virtual test thing that is that bad, but I am having trouble trying to watch some of the videos too... A few of the speakers speak so slowly...

Edit: Somehow, I am seeing all the worst parts first, lowered my degree of adjectives.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2010

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Yeah I think it's really me being super impatient with everything being in video format and no way to skip forward. now aint' that some adhd for you hahah. I am enjoying some of the posts about misinformation, especially since I'm experienced a lot of "You just need to exercise more fatty then all your problems will be solve :downs:" from most of my family and the occasional doctor.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aculard posted:

Yeah I think it's really me being super impatient with everything being in video format and no way to skip forward. now aint' that some adhd for you hahah. I am enjoying some of the posts about misinformation, especially since I'm experienced a lot of "You just need to exercise more fatty then all your problems will be solve :downs:" from most of my family and the occasional doctor.

Yeah.

"You just need to TRY HARDER."

:suicide:

(In today's ADHD moment, I just RSVPed to two different Christmas gatherings that are happening literally simultaneously. Oopsie.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah.

"You just need to TRY HARDER."

:suicide:

Probably the worst thing about growing up for me was constant disappointment following my parent's getting IQ testing for me, because of the "I know you can do better than this" bullshit. Glad I found this thread.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

signalnoise posted:

Probably the worst thing about growing up for me was constant disappointment following my parent's getting IQ testing for me, because of the "I know you can do better than this" bullshit. Glad I found this thread.
I got so much of that growing up, especially after getting to high school where I had to do actual work. :(

Anyhow, I've suspected that I have inattentive-type ADHD for a while now. I sailed through grade school because I was smart enough to ace everything with virtually no effort. I was quiet and well-behaved, so no one suspected a problem, especially not me. But then I got into a academically demanding private high school and I almost got kicked out after the first year. I couldn't/wouldn't do the work, I procrastinated, I didn't expend enough effort to do well in classes I didn't like (everything except art), but with some counseling, I pulled through and managed to get into an amazing university (my grades sucked but I got really high SAT scores and had a good portfolio). Oh, also during high school I did a series of cognitive tests and stuff, and it was concluded that I had a non-specified organizational learning disability or something. It's true that I'm horribly disorganized and forgetful.

College was really hard for me. Once again, I got pulled in by my professors to talk about whether this was the right school/program for me. I wanted really bad to go get everything this school had to offer, but I just couldn't loving do it and just squandered my time there because I was procrastinating, not concentrating, wasting my time doing/thinking about inane poo poo, and avoiding putting effort into anything. Now that I'm out of college (and working on campus with a really loving cool robotics program), I look back and regret not taking full advantage (too busy being lazy). I guess I'm out for redemption working for this project. However, I STILL can't seem to get my act together most of the time - and I'm getting paid to do stuff that gets me excited in a crazy way.

Well, daily struggles include staying on task, trying not to zone out and daydream, finishing what I start, even if it's a small easy task, and making myself get up and do things, even things I like/need to do. For example, when I know I need to get around to paying bills, I just won't/can't do it. I'll be screaming in my head to just write a goddamn check, put it in an envelope and mail it so the power doesn't get shut off, but I'll just sit there for no good reason. Same goes for fun stuff that takes some effort, like watercolor. I love watercolor, but EFFORT. It's extremely frustrating. It's like I can't override all the bullshit floating around in my head. But sometimes I get into the zone, and I can work on one thing intently for hours.

I don't know if this is an ADHD issue at all, but in the last few years I've noticed I have small outbursts of extreme frustration/anxiety over retarded things. The other day I was at my boyfriend's place, and we were making tea while watching a football game. The kettle boils, so my bf goes to pour the tea, but breaks the mechanism that opens and closes the whistle cap thing, so he goes about fixing it. Meanwhile, my anxiety skyrockets because I just want us to have the tea NOW because we can fix the drat kettle later and the commercial break is about to be over and holy poo poo I was about to explode. I'm not an anxious person, but occasionally I'll be in dumb situations that make my blood boil for whatever reason. Most times I have all the patience in the world, sometimes I have absolutely none.

I really want to get tested, but I can't afford to right now, because I'd have to pay the deductible with my current plan. It's interesting to read accounts from other people whose minds work a lot like mine and seeing how treatment has helped them. I guess it must be like putting on glasses after not realizing how bad your vision really is.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Authentic You posted:

:aaa:

I feel like everytime someone posts in this thread about their story, I should be rocking back and forth and crying about the possibility of a future/smarter/alternative universe self posting. Your story is pretty spot on to my situation, except for having the job as I'm just a bum attempting to get on disability temporarily.

The intelligence tests were the worst part of the entire story to me. I had quite a few done when I was starting school, and they all came back as having really high scores. The psychs all told my mother I was just not trying hard enough, and I guess she took it to heart too literally.

The art stuff I can totally understand though. I'd love nothing more to sit down and paint for a few hours but my brain totally flips it's poo poo and I end up pacing and surfing the internet instead. And yeah, I haven't paid my phone bill in 3 months and I still have my credit card balance overdue and I should have sent the balance protection service a copy of my unemployment...back in february...

Did you ever do homework and just not hand it in? I used to get really bad anxiety about it because i'd forget it at home or just not...hand it in.

Yeah I'd really suggest looking into getting some medication. I've been taken off mine and while the stuff I was on was super expensive and didn't work that well (kept me awake for too long, made the anxiety a bit worse when the wore off, didn't eat) it is such an incredible difference. I'm waiting out to get a family doctor in order to find a time release one I can take at low doses that will work well.

ps work out. It makes me feel quite a bit better after benchpressing some heavy poo poo, though I've gotten behind due to depression/anxiety the soreness strangely makes you feel nice.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aculard posted:

ps work out. It makes me feel quite a bit better after benchpressing some heavy poo poo, though I've gotten behind due to depression/anxiety the soreness strangely makes you feel nice.

This does work somewhat. Along with a decent amount of sleep and a healthy diet. Not as good as :catdrugs:, but it can slow things down mentally, at least for a little while.

Despite now being a semi-happily medicated socially acceptable little droid, I did do some pushups and jumping jacks right before a phone interview yesterday, because I was just getting nervous, and had to dispell the excess energy SOMEHOW.

And today I have another job interview, this time in person. I...should go to bed.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah having meds as a cornerstone for whatever else you want to do is vital, you will know once you find the ones right for you.

For the first time since ever I feel like I have some say in what I do with what I feel, instead of letting what I feel mostly decide what I do. It actually allows me to stay in control under pressure, instead of said pressure scrambling my train of thought.
Same goes for my attention span. No, inner child, you will NOT get what you want right now. Other things need to get done and goddammit, they will be done. And on time.

:v: Also on the flipside, accidentally forgetting to take your meds(and having no extra near you) all day make you remember that yes, you need your :catdrugs:. Jesus it's like I'm blind in comparison.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Aculard posted:

The intelligence tests were the worst part of the entire story to me. I had quite a few done when I was starting school, and they all came back as having really high scores. The psychs all told my mother I was just not trying hard enough, and I guess she took it to heart too literally.

The results of the tests I took revealed that I was extremely intelligent, especially for visual processing and abstract concepts (but not very good at sequential thinking or short term memory). It was like everyone thought I was too smart to have ADHD and that I was just being lazy and disorganized and the solution was to be less lazy and disorganized.

quote:

Did you ever do homework and just not hand it in? I used to get really bad anxiety about it because i'd forget it at home or just not...hand it in.

:stare: Yes. All the loving time. I did get anxious about it sometimes because it was done but not in the teacher's hands. I remember in third grade (back when school was easy as gently caress), I'd do all the little worksheets but then forget about them, until one day I couldn't take it anymore, and presented my teacher with a backpack full of completed homework that I'd just not turned in.

quote:

Yeah I'd really suggest looking into getting some medication. I've been taken off mine and while the stuff I was on was super expensive and didn't work that well (kept me awake for too long, made the anxiety a bit worse when the wore off, didn't eat) it is such an incredible difference. I'm waiting out to get a family doctor in order to find a time release one I can take at low doses that will work well.

I'm going to see what my options are. I think my short term memory issues alone are enough to cause concern, and my boyfriend, who worked in psych research for years, said that I exhibit lots of ADHD symptoms. I'll have to research my plan to see if I can get ADHD treatment covered.

Yeah, I've been meaning to work out more for ages, but the weather is now bad and I have no winter running clothes. I'm waiting for a commission payout before I buy some because even though I have an epic job it pays poo poo. I get away with not working out because I stay thin without trying, but the few times I do, it really does make me feel way better, but again... EFFORT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I got pushed ahead a grade because of tests and stuff I did as a kid. The school thought I had ADHD as well but apparently my parents were against the diagnosis so nothing came of the school's concern on that front.